“Dead to Sin”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why we must be born again of the Spirit. IOW our nature must change. This we cannot do on our own, no matter how much we struggle as the person Paul talks of in Romans 7. But when the Holy Spirit indwells us, our old nature is overshadowed by the divine nature of Christ, and our desires immediately change. When we are resurrected, then our bodies will take on immortality, but that has nothing to do with our nature. We die with whichever nature we lived with, and it remains. Revelation 22:11. Not everyone who says to Jesus, "Lord, Lord" will enter heaven. Those apathetic to sinning, such as many with their favorite false doctrines of only imputed righteousness, without imparted righteousness, will remain filthy and be burned up in the lake of fire.
I agree with a lot here, except it's not a change in nature but an addition of a new nature, and the old man is the same because we know that it cannot be subjected to God (Rom 8:7).

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a good passage applicable to this subject (Rom 5:13), and what else can one see it consodering the way it reads; but the sense of it does not say there was no law, just an implication that if there were no law. But there has always been law of God known to man, shown in the following verse of 14: "Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression." Remember, Adam and everyone after him was under law of God, beginning with His first command not to partake of the Fruit: "the LORD God commanded the man" (Gen 2:16); and innumerable times God told Noah and the people of God Israel what to do.

There was the eternal laws of God which is how Lucifer was damned. But the subject of Paul's teaching is on the Law of Moses. And until the law, even though man sinned, it wasn't imputed to him until the Law of Moses, which is also what Romans 7 is about.

Ezra

Dec 27, 2018
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is why we must be born again of the Spirit. IOW our nature must change. This we cannot do on our own, no matter how much we struggle as the person Paul talks of in Romans 7. But when the Holy Spirit indwells us, our old nature is overshadowed by the divine nature of Christ, and our desires immediately change. When we are resurrected, then our bodies will take on immortality, but that has nothing to do with our nature. We die with whichever nature we lived with, and it remains. Revelation 22:11. Not everyone who says to Jesus, "Lord, Lord" will enter heaven. Those apathetic to sinning, such as many with their favorite false doctrines of only imputed righteousness, without imparted righteousness, will remain filthy and be burned up in the lake of fire.
wow i am impressed not honestly we dont agree so i bid you happy trails

Reactions: CharismaticLady

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Walk in the Light and be cleansed of all sin.

John 8
[12] Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

1 John 1
[6] If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
[7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 8
[12] Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.

1 John 1
[6] If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
[7] But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.
GINOLJC to all.
this is on target, but needs a little rudder action for a complete stay on course. 1John 1:8 "If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us". so, lets just tell the truth. now, the very next verse, 1John 1:9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

for even the apostle struggle with his sins,
Rom 7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
Rom 7:15 For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
Rom 7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Rom 7:17 Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
Rom 7:19 For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Rom 7:20 Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
Rom 7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
Rom 7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
Rom 7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
Rom 7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

ok, he told us what to do about our flesh.

Rom 6:9 Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
Rom 6:13 Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God, as those that are alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God.

the apostle Paul, and John just gave us the answer to overcoming sin, and the answer is in your mind.
understand "SIN" IS A HABIT, meaning , A WORK. for the wages of sin is death. work require "TIME", hence what you get paid for. no time no wages. if one give a habit no time, then there is "DEAD" works.

so the apostle paul gives us the answer, "Neither yield ye your members as instruments of unrighteousness unto sin". that word yield is the Greek term, G3936 παρίστημι paristemi (par-iy'-stee-miy) v.
παριστάνω paristano (par-iy-sta'-nō) [prolonged]
1. to stand beside.
2. (transitively) to exhibit, proffer.
3. (specially) recommend.
4. (figuratively) substantiate.
5. (intransitively) to be at hand (or ready), aid.
[from G3844 and G2476]
KJV: assist, bring before, command, commend, give presently, present, prove, provide, shew, stand (before, by, here, up, with), yield
Root(s): G3844, G2476

see definition #1. and see how the KJV can translate the word, "assist". orther word don't do it, in today's language "just say no to drugs... I mean sin, just say no to ..... sin. THIS IS WHY WE HAVE THE HELPER, THE ONE WHO ASSIST US. it takes a made up mind, hence renew your mind". FOR,
Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
WHY?
Rom 8:5 For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.

RE-NEW your mind in Christ Jesus, put, or set your mind on the things of God and you will not have "TIME" for the things of sin.

this is the quick and short version to the point. just remember "MIND" and "TIME". they are the keys.

for all these Millenium, just think, "Hammertime", time to change our thinking.

PICJAG.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7, when properly studied, is a chapter that expounds Paul's experience when he was under the Law; this is not a chapter endorsing the notion that sin is inevitable.

Reactions: CharismaticLady

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7, when properly studied, is a chapter that expounds Paul's experience when he was under the Law; this is not a chapter endorsing the notion that sin is inevitable.
Paul was not under the Law, he was speaking to those who were. for the fight of Faith is in the FLESH vs the Spirit. be ye under law or under Grace.

for he knew that the Law was Spiritual, but he was still carnal, or in the flesh.

PICJAG.

07-07-07

Nov 18, 2018
Rust Belt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul was not under the Law, he was speaking to those who were. for the fight of Faith is in the FLESH vs the Spirit. be ye under law or under Grace.

for he knew that the Law was Spiritual, but he was still carnal, or in the flesh.

PICJAG.

When closely studied, Paul was referring to the time when he was under the Law; he could not overcome sin because he was in the flesh. How did he find the mystery to overcoming sin? Romans 8 explains.

Romans 8
[1] There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
[2] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
[3] For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
[4] That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When closely studied, Paul was referring to the time when he was under the Law; he could not overcome sin because he was in the flesh. How did he find the mystery to overcoming sin? Romans 8 explains.

Romans 8
[1] There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
[2] For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
[3] For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
[4] That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
GINOLJC, thanks for the reply. YES, he WAS under the law, but now under grace, succouring those now who desire to keep the law as many even today desire to keep the law. but not under grace. so,
first, the question how do one walk after the Spirit?. second, "how do one overcome the desires of the flesh?" as said, "TIME", we must "GROW" in Christ. as verse 3 states, one must deal with their flesh . again, it takes "time", this is no overnight quickie, it takes "time".
for our Lord is the author and fnisher of our faith, and we, as the apostle Peter stated, "ADD TO YOUR FAITH", why so one will be able to do this, Rom 6:11 Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

PICJAG

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It is best to focus on the positive aspect -- ALIVE UNTO RIGHTEOUSNESS.

YES, YES, YES...

To be sin conscious instead of God conscious, makes the devil very happy!!

"GOD FIRST" at all times, we cannot have our mind occupied by both.
( unless we with to be " a double minded man" )

Good word. Thanks

Reactions: marks and Enoch111

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Appreciate your reply! That's sound's okay to me, but I'm always thinking and studying on all the issues involved so I can continue to receive deeper understanding, for greater preparation to be used.

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

John 8

1 John 1
Thanks for your input! Amen, completely cleansed at rebirth, which our walk will progressively manifest!

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
“For he that is dead is freed from sin” (Rom 6:7). What is involved being free from sin?

Romans 6:16 one is either serving sin unto death (bondage to sin) or serving obedience unto righteousness (freed from sin).

John says sin is transgression of the law, 1 John 3:4. The only way one can stop serving sin unto death is by stop transgressing God's law and one stops transgressing by being obedient. The only way one can be dead and freed from sin is by obedience to the will of God:

Rom 6:7-------------dead>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>freed from sin
Rom 6:17-18-------obey from the heart>>>>>>>>>freed from sin

Therefore becoming 'dead' requires obedience. When one obeys the will of God in submitting to baptism (Romans 6:3-6) the old man of sin dies and one is united with Christ and is now freed from sin/justified, freed his master of "serving sin unto death".

Prayer Warrior

Sep 20, 2018
U.S.A.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I usually agree with you, Enoch, but, wadr, I disagree about this. As long as we're in these bodies being sanctified, we have to reckon our flesh as crucified. This is an ongoing process. I believe that we have been made righteous in Christ--imputed with His righteousness AND (at the same time) we have to actively count our flesh as crucified with Him.

To be sure, we have been saved from the penalty of sin, but we are being saved (or sanctified) from the power of sin. We will be saved from the presence of sin once we shed these bodies. (I'm not saying that our bodies are evil, but they are connected to the flesh, or sin nature. Other topic for a different thread.)

All of this is why Paul instructs us to "show the Lord's death." 1 Cor 11:26--For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Until Jesus comes, we are subject to influence by the flesh if we don't count it to be crucified and subsequently put to death the deeds of the flesh BY GRACE THROUGH FAITH in what Christ has done for us.

Col 3:5 (KJV)--Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence, and covetousness, which is idolatry:

I like the HCSB better--Therefore, put to death what belongs to your worldly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desire, and greed, which is idolatry.

Last edited:

Netchaplain

Ordained Chaplain
Oct 12, 2011
Missouri
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 6:16 one is either serving sin unto death (bondage to sin) or serving obedience unto righteousness (freed from sin).

John says sin is transgression of the law, 1 John 3:4. The only way one can stop serving sin unto death is by stop transgressing God's law and one stops transgressing by being obedient. The only way one can be dead and freed from sin is by obedience to the will of God:

Rom 6:7-------------dead>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>freed from sin
Rom 6:17-18-------obey from the heart>>>>>>>>>freed from sin

Therefore becoming 'dead' requires obedience. When one obeys the will of God in submitting to baptism (Romans 6:3-6) the old man of sin dies and one is united with Christ and is now freed from sin/justified, freed his master of "serving sin unto death".
Amen, obedience is always one the most significant issues, but more significantly is what causes us to be obedient (God - Phil 2:13). I think it's noteworthy to mention that man's accountability for sin isn't sinning but in the possessing the sin nature, for the sinning merely manifests the cause for sinning (old man).

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I usually agree with you, Enoch, but, wadr, I disagree about this. As long as we're in these bodies being sanctified, we have to reckon our flesh as crucified.
And that is exactly why the focus should be on righteousness, not on sin!

2 PETER 1

3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:

4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;

6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;

7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.

8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We should be both. ALIVE UNTO RIGHTEOUSNESS and DEAD TO SIN.
The fact that you are alive unto righteousness means that you are dead to sin. Let's stop obsessing about sin and focus on righteousness.