“The Law of the Spirit of Life”

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Bible speaks about a number of laws that God has established for humanity. They include the following.

The Law Of Moses
The Law of Moses was given specifically to Israel. Moses wrote.

And Moses commanded them, saying: "At the end of every seven years, at the appointed time in the year of release, at the Feast of Tabernacles, "when all Israel comes to appear before the Lord your God in the place which He chooses, you shall read this law before all Israel in their hearing. "Gather the people together, men and women and little ones, and the stranger who is within your gates, that they may hear and that they may learn to fear the Lord your God and carefully observe all the words of this law, "and that their children, who have not known it, may hear and learn to fear the Lord your God as long as you live in the land which you cross the Jordan to possess (Deuteronomy 31:10-13).

The Law Of God
Paul spoke of the law of God.

For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law (Romans 2:12).

The Law Of Conscience
There is also a law of conscience.

For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) (Romans 2:14-15).

The Law Of Works
Scripture speaks of a law of works

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. Romans 3:27

The Law Of Faith
There is also a law of faith

Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? Of works? No, but by the law of faith. (Romans 3:27).

The Law Of Spirit Of Life And The Law Of Sin And Death
Paul wrote of the law of spirit of life as well as the law of sin and death.

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death. (Romans 8:2).

The Law Of Righteousness
There is a law of righteousness.

But Israel, pursuing the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness (Romans 9:31).

The Law Was Good
Paul said the law was good.

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, "You shall not covet" (Romans 7:7).

The Law Of Love
Paul spoke of the law of love.

Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery," "You shall not murder," "You shall not steal," "You shall not bear false witness," "You shall not covet," and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law (Romans 13:8-10).

The Royal Law
James wrote of the royal law.

If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, "You shall love your neighbor as yourself," you do well; but if you show partiality, you commit sin, and are convicted by the law as transgressors. For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all. (James 2:8-10).

Summary
God has established a number of laws in the universe. These laws are good. They include the Law of Moses, the law of sin and death, the law of God, the law of righteousness, the law of love, and the royal law.

The above from Blueletter Bible

1 The law of Moses
2 The law as a principle
3 The law of faith
4 The law of sin
5 Law of the mind
6 Law of the Spirit.
7 Law of Christ.

Have we died to the 10 commandments?

The bolded letters is my question to you, connect the dots, and most importantly, have we really died TO the 10 commandments?

That's all

Also, in your opinion, was Paul unregenerate in Romans 7, and reborn in 8?

Rom_7:4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God.

Rom_7:5 For when we were in the flesh, the motions of sins, which were by the law, did work in our members to bring forth fruit unto death.

Rom_7:6 But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.

Rom_7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Rom_7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.

Rom_7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.

Rom_7:12 Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.

Rom_7:14 For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

Rom_7:16 If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.

Rom_7:21 I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

Rom_7:22 For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:

Rom_7:23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.

Rom_7:25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Rom_8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

Rom_8:3 For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Rom_8:4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Rom_8:7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
At a first reading it might well be held that this is the most astonishing statement that Jesus made in the whole Sermon on the Mount. In this statement Jesus lays down the eternal character of the Law; and yet Paul can say, "Christ is the end of the Law" (Rom_10:4).

The Jews used the expression The Law in four different ways.

(i) They used it to mean the Ten Commandments.

(ii) They used it to mean the first five books of the Bible. That part of the Bible which is known as the Pentateuch--which literally means The Five Rolls--was to the Jew The Law par excellence and was to them by far the most important part of the Bible.

(iii) They used the phrase The Law and the prophets to mean the whole of Scripture; they used it as a comprehensive description of what we would call the whole Old Testament.

(iv) They used it to mean the Oral or the Scribal Law.

In the time of Jesus it was the last meaning which was commonest; and it was in fact this Scribal Law which both Jesus and Paul so utterly condemned. What, then, was this Scribal Law?

In the Old Testament itself we find very few rules and regulations; what we do find are great, broad principles which a man must himself take and interpret under God’s guidance, and apply to the individual situations in life. In the Ten Commandments we find no rules and regulations at all; they are each one of them great principles out of which a man must find his own rules for life. To the later Jews these great principles did not seem enough.

They held that the Law was divine, and that in it God had said his last word, and that therefore everything must be in it. If a thing was not in the Law explicitly it must be there implicitly. They therefore argued that out of the Law it must be possible to deduce a rule and a regulation for every possible situation in life. So there arose a race of men called the Scribes who made it the business of their lives to reduce the great principles of the Law to literally thousands upon thousands of rules and regulations.

Hence my question===Did we die to the 10 commandments?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, are you saying the 10 commandments were given for Israel only?

Let's look at the Bible and see what God says.

I'm aware of many places in the Bible that record a covenant between God and Israel, in which God told Israel His Law, and resultant blessings and cursings if they keep or not keep this Law. I'm aware of where the Bible tells us that the people of Israel agreed to this covenant. And the Bible records what happened after that.

I'm aware of places in the Bible that say the Gentiles weren't given the Law, and were not under the Law.

I'm aware of places in the Bible that say that in Christ, the Law is like an old marriage that has been left, as though that old husband is dead, so that even the Jews, in Christ, are no longer under the Law.

I'm not aware of anyplace that says the Law of Moses, including the 10 commandments, was given for the Gentiles to follow. I'm not aware of any place that says the Law of Moses is intended to govern Christians.

That's what I'm seeing God say, what do you see?

Much love!

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

I'm aware of many places in the Bible that record a covenant between God and Israel, in which God told Israel His Law, and resultant blessings and cursings if they keep or not keep this Law. I'm aware of where the Bible tells us that the people of Israel agreed to this covenant. And the Bible records what happened after that.

I'm aware of places in the Bible that say the Gentiles weren't given the Law, and were not under the Law.

I'm aware of places in the Bible that say that in Christ, the Law is like an old marriage that has been left, as though that old husband is dead, so that even the Jews, in Christ, are no longer under the Law.

I'm not aware of anyplace that says the Law of Moses, including the 10 commandments, was given for the Gentiles to follow. I'm not aware of any place that says the Law of Moses is intended to govern Christians.

Much love!
So, reading this, the commandments were given to Israel only, we are lawless.

Matthew 28:20
Verse Concepts
teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

John 15:14
Verse Concepts
You are My friends if you do what I command you.

John 14:15
Verse Concepts
“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.

John 14:21
Verse Concepts
He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

John 15:10
Verse Concepts
If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love; just as I have kept My Father’s commandments and abide in His love.

1 John 2:3
Verse Concepts
By this we know that we have come to know Him, if we keep His commandments.

2 John 1:6
Verse Concepts
And this is love, that we walk according to His commandments. This is the commandment, just as you have heard from the beginning, that you should walk in it.

John 8:51
Verse Concepts
Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps My word he will never see death.”

John 8:52
Verse Concepts
The Jews said to Him, “Now we know that You have a demon. Abraham died, and the prophets also; and You say, ‘If anyone keeps My word, he will never taste of death.’

1 John 2:4
Verse Concepts
The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;

1 John 2:5
Verse Concepts
but whoever keeps His word, in him the love of God has truly been perfected. By this we know that we are in Him:

What are Christ's commandments?

Romans 13:8-10 ESV / 22 helpful votes
Owe no one anything, except to love each other, for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet,” and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

1 John 5:3 ESV / 21 helpful votes
For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments. And his commandments are not burdensome.

Revelation 12:17 ESV / 20 helpful votes
Then the dragon became furious with the woman and went off to make war on the rest of her offspring, on those who keep the commandments of God and hold to the testimony of Jesus. And he stood on the sand of the sea.

Matthew 22:36-38 ESV / 20 helpful votes
“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?” And he said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the great and first commandment.

Exodus 20:6 ESV / 20 helpful votes
But showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Deuteronomy 10:12-13 ESV / 19 helpful votes
“And now, Israel, what does the Lord your God require of you, but to fear the Lord your God, to walk in all his ways, to love him, to serve the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments and statutes of the Lord, which I am commanding you today for your good?

John 14:21 ESV / 18 helpful votes
Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.”

Matthew 7:12 ESV / 16 helpful votes
“So whatever you wish that others would do to you, do also to them, for this is the Law and the Prophets.

Revelation 14:12 ESV / 15 helpful votes Helpful Not Helpful
Here is a call for the endurance of the saints, those who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

1 Corinthians 7:19 ESV / 15 helpful votes
For neither circumcision counts for anything nor uncircumcision, but keeping the commandments of God.

Luke 6:31 ESV / 14 helpful votes
And as you wish that others would do to you, do so to them.

1 What are Christ's commandments?

2. Are we lawless?

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, reading this, the commandments were given to Israel only, we are lawless.
1 Corinthians 9:20-21 KJV
20) And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21) To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 John 2:4
Verse Concepts
The one who says, “I have come to know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him;
1 John 2:3-10 KJV
3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6) He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
7) Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
8) Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
9) He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
10) He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

John 13:34 KJV
34) A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

1 John 3:23-24 KJV
23) And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24) And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Much love!

Reactions: Illuminator

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

That explanation is a good fit to Ezek 36:24-27 which says:

"For I will take you from among the nations and gather you from all the
countries, and I will bring you to your land. And I will sprinkle clean water
upon you, and you will be clean; from all your impurities and from all your
abominations will I cleanse you.
Yes, Ezekiel foreshadows Catholic Baptism, and most Protestant baptisms are accepted as valid by the CC. Why is that?
. . . And I will give you a new heart, and a new spirit will I put within you, and I will take away the heart of stone out of your flesh, and I will give you
a heart of flesh. And I will put My spirit within you and bring it about that
you will walk in My statutes and you will keep My ordinances and do them."
Ezekiel concludes his prophecies, as we have seen, by announcing that there will be a New Covenant:

“I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; and I will bless them and multiply them and set my sanctuary in the midst of them for ever more” (Ezek. 37:26).

The book closes with a description of the future city:

“The circumference of the city shall be eighteen thousand cubits, and the name of the city henceforth shall be, ‘Yahweh is there'” (48:35). This prophecy looks to the reconstruction of Israel as symbol of the messianic kingdom, the Church rejected by Weber's Home.
"my sanctuary in the midst of them for ever more” excludes a rebuild, or its a false prophecy.
Yet, you use Ezekiel as an exit ramp.

God's scheme will not only remedy the people's lack of willingness to comply
with His ways; but it will ensure that they never again get dominated and/or
abused by a foreign power, nor ever again evicted from their land.

Ezek 36:28 . .Then will you dwell in the land that I gave your fathers, and
you will be a people to Me, and I will be to you as a God.

BTW: That prophecy in Ezekiel is what started me on the path to renouncing
the Roman Catholic religion to which I was loyal for 24 years after undergoing
christening as an infant and eventually completing First Holy Communion and
Confirmation in catechism.
What you renounced is your twisted version of Catholicism into the Pelagian heresy of your own making, (that would appall any Christian) a heresy condemned by the CC 1000 years before your hero John Calvin was born. Catholics don't "christen", we baptize, so your knowledge of Catholicism is based on prejudice and straw man fallacies. You need to grow up and put away your worn out toys. Stop attacking Catholicism with your malicious viewpoint. "I was loyal for 24 years" but did you fall in love with Jesus in the Eucharist at any time for 24 years? A Catholic by inertia IS NOT A CATHOLIC BY PRACTICE!!! Had you been a Catholic by practice you would have plenty of opportunity to be healed of whatever spiritual abuse you were forced to endure.

For 50 some years, you have been blaming the CC for being a dead Catholic for 24 years, and such subjectivity does not qualify you to slander the CC all over the internet. You post the same garbage in several forums. I'm happy for anyone who has a life-giving turn-around, no matter what church (or tent) they experienced the Lord, but you are on a mission and it ain't from God.

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." Romans 8:2

Clearly there are two different kinds of law. However, we are not under law but under grace.

Romans 6:13-15, "No longer present your members to sin as instruments of unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and present your members to God as instruments of righteousness. For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. What then? Should we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! "

Reactions: marks

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and of death." Romans 8:2

Clearly there are two different kinds of law. However, we are not under law but under grace.

Romans 6:13-15, "No longer present your members to sin as instruments of unrighteousness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life, and present your members to God as instruments of righteousness. For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace. What then? Should we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! "
No condemnation.

We are taken back to the subject of justification (3:21—5:11) because Christ’s
bearing of the guilt of sin paves the way for deliverance from that corruption of our whole nature which
the guilt of Adam’s first transgression brought upon us under the judgment of God (5:12).

Justification
and sanctification must go together; Christ has purchased both for His people. in Christ Jesus. This is
the answer to the question in 7:24, having begun in 7:25 with the words “I thank God through Jesus
Christ our Lord.”

8:2 law of the Spirit of life. The justified sinner has the Holy Spirit within him (v. 9), bringing a new
principle of spiritual vitality toward God that delivers him from the principle of sin (7:23).

8:3–4 law could not do. The law can show us our sin (3:20; 7:7) but can neither enable us to stop
committing those sins nor atone for sin because in spite of all attempts to keep the law we are fallen and
sinful men (flesh). likeness of sinful flesh. Without ceasing to be God, Christ became like us in all areas
except for our sin (Heb. 4:15; 7:26). for sin. To bear its guilt as a sacrifice to God (3:24–25). condemned
sin in the flesh.

Christ destroyed the power of sin by bearing its guilt. The result of His atoning work is a
people who, under the direction and quickening of the Holy Spirit, begin to keep the law of God from
the heart, since that law is still the divine definition of holiness.

8:5–6 There are only two categories: those who live according to man’s fallen nature and those who are
indwelt by the Spirit. carnally. In a fleshly manner. death . . . life and peace. Death and life are not only
the future destinies of men but their present spiritual conditions (Eph. 2:1,5)

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
1 John 2:3-10 KJV
3) And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4) He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5) But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him.
6) He that saith he abideth in him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
7) Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.
8) Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
9) He that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now.
10) He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

John 13:34 KJV
34) A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.

1 John 3:23-24 KJV
23) And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.
24) And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

Much love!
John 1:12
But to all who did receive Him, to those who believed in His name, He gave the right to become children of God--

John 2:23
While He was in Jerusalem at the Passover Feast, many people saw the signs He was doing and believed in His name.

John 3:18
Whoever believes in Him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe has already been condemned, because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

John 6:29
Jesus replied, "The work of God is this: to believe in the One He has sent."

John 13:34
A new commandment I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you also must love one another.

John 15:12
This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.

1 John 2:7
Beloved, I am not writing to you a new commandment, but an old one, which you have had from the beginning. This commandment is the message you have heard.

Treasury of Scripture
And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment.

his commandment.

Deuteronomy 18:15-19
The LORD thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken; …

Psalm 2:12
Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him.

Mark 9:7
And there was a cloud that overshadowed them: and a voice came out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

love.

1 John 3:11
For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1 John 2:8-10
Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth…

1 John 4:21
And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Thanks brother

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Guess most here would say the 10 commandments were given to Israel and not the Gentiles, therefore we are no longer under it.
Yet, when I observe the over 1,000 Imperatives recorded in Scriptures, all from the Old Covenant.
The only ones under the law are those who disobey it. The law doesn't bother anyone who obeys. Fairly simple concept really. As Jesus replied to the inquiring lawyer...
What must I do to inherit eternal life?
Keep the Commandments.
Everyone knows though that on our own, such is impossible. Which is what that Spirit of Life is all about huh.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The only ones under the law are those who disobey it. The law doesn't bother anyone who obeys. Fairly simple concept really. As Jesus replied to the inquiring lawyer...
Keep the Commandments.
Everyone knows though that on our own, such is impossible. Which is what that Spirit of Life is all about huh.
Huh?

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Are you trying to be sarcastic?
Not at all. If one is under the condemnation of the law, it is because of disobedience to one of its precepts. Right? If one obeys all the commandments, and in Christ we not only have the power over sin, sin no longer having dominion over us, but Christ's righteousness is imputed as well as imparted, then we are no longer under condemnation. In fact, Paul explains why we aren't under the law...
KJV Galatians 5:18-21
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

and he describes those who are under the law....
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I am concerned for those who think that not being under the law means they are no longer obligated to obey their Creator and Lord. And in the very next verse, Gal. 5:22 with which we are all familiar, those who are walking in the Spirit, ( KJV Romans 8:1
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.)
that is those who  are who are not under the law, manifest the following...
KJV Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Reactions: BarneyFife

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Not at all. If one is under the condemnation of the law, it is because of disobedience to one of its precepts. Right? If one obeys all the commandments, and in Christ we not only have the power over sin, sin no longer having dominion over us, but Christ's righteousness is imputed as well as imparted, then we are no longer under condemnation. In fact, Paul explains why we aren't under the law...
KJV Galatians 5:18-21
18 But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

and he describes those who are under the law....
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,

21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

I am concerned for those who think that not being under the law means they are no longer obligated to obey their Creator and Lord. And in the very next verse, Gal. 5:22 with which we are all familiar, those who are walking in the Spirit, ( KJV Romans 8:1
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.)
that is those who  are who are not under the law, manifest the following...
KJV Galatians 5:22-23
22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
1 Corinthians 9:20-21 KJV
20) And unto the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews; to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;
21) To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ,) that I might gain them that are without law.

Much love!
That is NOT answering my question @marks...are we lawless?
What about the over 1,000 Imperatives?
No longer to be obeyed?
Or is the obeying part considered to be works?

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Keep the Commandments.
I am learning a lot from you @Brakelite and I am glad that the obeying part, the Imperatives, can and must be obeyed, in Christ, through the Spirit, of course, but most see the "obeying part" as works, not obligatory..
Shalom
J.

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

Much love!
Two things to awake to:
1. Awake to righteousness (1.COR 15:34)
2. Awake to life (EPH 5:14)
Seventy-four "Be's":
1. Be exceeding glad (MATT 5:12)
2. Be reconciled to a brother (MATT 5:24)
3. Be perfect (MATT 5:48; 2.COR 13:11)
4. Be wise as serpents (MATT 10:16)
5. Be harmless as doves (MATT 10:16)
6. Be ready for Christ's coming (MATT 24:44;
LK 12:40)
7. Be content with your wages (LK 3:14)
8. Be merciful as God (LK 6:36)
9. Be like faithful servants (LK 12:36)
10. Be thankful (COL 3:15)
11. Be at peace among selves (1.THESS 5:13)
12. Be patient toward all people
(1.THESS 5:14; 2.TIM 2:24)
13. Be no partaker of sin (1.TIM 5:22)
14. Be sober and hope (1.PET 1:13)
15. Be sober and pray (1.PET 4:7)
16. Be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith,
charity, and patience (aged men, TIT 2:2)
17. Be sober, love husbands and children (young
women, TIT 2:4)
18. Be sober minded (young men, TIT 2:6)
19. Be in behaviour as becoming to saints (aged
women, TIT 2:3)
20. Be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good,
obedient (young women, TIT 2:5)
21. Be ready to give an answer of the hope that
is in you (1.PET 3:15)
22. Be of good cheer (JN 16:33)
23. Be baptized (ACTS 2:38)
24. Be converted (ACTS 3:19)
25. Be transformed (ROM 12:2)
26. Be kind of brotherly love one to another
(ROM 12:10; EPH 4:32)
27. Be fervent in spirit (ROM 12:11)
28. Be patient in tribulation (ROM 12:12)
29. Be given to hospitality (ROM 12:13)
30. Be afraid, if lawless (ROM 13:4)
Category "1,050 NEW TESTAMENT COMMANDS"
1050 NT commands Page 2
31. Be no idolater (1.COR 10:7)
32. Be followers of Paul as he followed Christ
(1.COR 11:1; PHIL 3:17)
33. Be followers of God (EPH 5:1)
34. Be followers of the faithful and patient
(HEB 6:12)
35. Be not children in understanding
(1.COR 14:20)
36. Be men in understanding (1.COR 14:20)
37. Be steadfast (1.COR 15:58)
38. Be unmoveable (1.COR 15:58)
39. Be always abounding in God's work
(1.COR 15:58)
40. Be strong in the Lord (1.COR 16:13;
EPH 6:10; 2.TIM 2:1)
41. Be of good comfort (2.COR 13:11)
42. Be of one mind (ROM 12:16;
2.COR 13:11; PHIL 2:2; 1.PET 3:8)
43. Be separate from the unclean
(2.COR 6:17)
44. Be renewed in spirit (EPH 4:23)
45. Be angry and sin not (EPH 4:26)
46. Be tender-hearted one to another
(EPH 4:32)
47. Be filled with the Spirit (EPH 5:18)
48. Be likeminded (PHIL 2:2)
49. Be one of accord (PHIL 2:2)
50. Be anxious for nothing (PHIL 4:6)
51. Be an example to believers in word,
conversation, charity, spirit, faith, and purity
(1.TIM 4:12)
52. Be a partaker of Christian sufferings
(2.TIM 1:8; cp. 1.PET 4:1)
53. Be gentle to all people (2.TIM 2:24)
54. Be apt to teach (2.TIM 2:24)
55. Be instant in season, out of season
(2.TIM 4:2)
56. Be careful to maintain good works
(TIT 3:8,14; cp. MATT 5:16)
57. Be content with what you have (HEB 13:5)
58. Be doers of the Word (JAS 1:22)
59. Be afflicted and mourn (JAS 4:9)
60. Be patient till Christ comes (JAS 5:7-8)
61. Be holy in conversation (behaviour)
(1.PET 1:15-16)
62. Be pitiful (1.PET 3:8)
63. Be courteous (1.PET 3:8)
64. Be examples of the flock of God, not lord over
it (1.PET 5:3)
65. Be subject one to another (1.PET 5:5)
66. Be clothed with humility (1.PET 5:5)
67. Be sober (1.PET 5:8)
68. Be vigilant (1.PET 5:8)
69. Be mindful of prophecies and commandments (2.PET 3:2)
70. Be diligent to be found in peace (2.PET 3:14)
71. Be diligent to be without spot, and blameless
(2.PET 3:14)
72. Be faithful to death (REV 2:10)
73. Be watchful, strengthen self (REV 3:2)
74. Be zealous and repent (REV 3:19)

The Imperatives, all rooted in the commandments, and to be obeyed, which most here consider as "works"

That's what I see @marks

Reactions: marks

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Two things to awake to:
1. Awake to righteousness (1.COR 15:34)
2. Awake to life (EPH 5:14)
Seventy-four "Be's":
1. Be exceeding glad (MATT 5:12)
2. Be reconciled to a brother (MATT 5:24)
3. Be perfect (MATT 5:48; 2.COR 13:11)
4. Be wise as serpents (MATT 10:16)
5. Be harmless as doves (MATT 10:16)
6. Be ready for Christ's coming (MATT 24:44;
LK 12:40)
7. Be content with your wages (LK 3:14)
8. Be merciful as God (LK 6:36)
9. Be like faithful servants (LK 12:36)
10. Be thankful (COL 3:15)
11. Be at peace among selves (1.THESS 5:13)
12. Be patient toward all people
(1.THESS 5:14; 2.TIM 2:24)
13. Be no partaker of sin (1.TIM 5:22)
14. Be sober and hope (1.PET 1:13)
15. Be sober and pray (1.PET 4:7)
16. Be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith,
charity, and patience (aged men, TIT 2:2)
17. Be sober, love husbands and children (young
women, TIT 2:4)
18. Be sober minded (young men, TIT 2:6)
19. Be in behaviour as becoming to saints (aged
women, TIT 2:3)
20. Be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good,
obedient (young women, TIT 2:5)
21. Be ready to give an answer of the hope that
is in you (1.PET 3:15)
22. Be of good cheer (JN 16:33)
23. Be baptized (ACTS 2:38)
24. Be converted (ACTS 3:19)
25. Be transformed (ROM 12:2)
26. Be kind of brotherly love one to another
(ROM 12:10; EPH 4:32)
27. Be fervent in spirit (ROM 12:11)
28. Be patient in tribulation (ROM 12:12)
29. Be given to hospitality (ROM 12:13)
30. Be afraid, if lawless (ROM 13:4)
Category "1,050 NEW TESTAMENT COMMANDS"
1050 NT commands Page 2
31. Be no idolater (1.COR 10:7)
32. Be followers of Paul as he followed Christ
(1.COR 11:1; PHIL 3:17)
33. Be followers of God (EPH 5:1)
34. Be followers of the faithful and patient
(HEB 6:12)
35. Be not children in understanding
(1.COR 14:20)
36. Be men in understanding (1.COR 14:20)
37. Be steadfast (1.COR 15:58)
38. Be unmoveable (1.COR 15:58)
39. Be always abounding in God's work
(1.COR 15:58)
40. Be strong in the Lord (1.COR 16:13;
EPH 6:10; 2.TIM 2:1)
41. Be of good comfort (2.COR 13:11)
42. Be of one mind (ROM 12:16;
2.COR 13:11; PHIL 2:2; 1.PET 3:8)
43. Be separate from the unclean
(2.COR 6:17)
44. Be renewed in spirit (EPH 4:23)
45. Be angry and sin not (EPH 4:26)
46. Be tender-hearted one to another
(EPH 4:32)
47. Be filled with the Spirit (EPH 5:18)
48. Be likeminded (PHIL 2:2)
49. Be one of accord (PHIL 2:2)
50. Be anxious for nothing (PHIL 4:6)
51. Be an example to believers in word,
conversation, charity, spirit, faith, and purity
(1.TIM 4:12)
52. Be a partaker of Christian sufferings
(2.TIM 1:8; cp. 1.PET 4:1)
53. Be gentle to all people (2.TIM 2:24)
54. Be apt to teach (2.TIM 2:24)
55. Be instant in season, out of season
(2.TIM 4:2)
56. Be careful to maintain good works
(TIT 3:8,14; cp. MATT 5:16)
57. Be content with what you have (HEB 13:5)
58. Be doers of the Word (JAS 1:22)
59. Be afflicted and mourn (JAS 4:9)
60. Be patient till Christ comes (JAS 5:7-8)
61. Be holy in conversation (behaviour)
(1.PET 1:15-16)
62. Be pitiful (1.PET 3:8)
63. Be courteous (1.PET 3:8)
64. Be examples of the flock of God, not lord over
it (1.PET 5:3)
65. Be subject one to another (1.PET 5:5)
66. Be clothed with humility (1.PET 5:5)
67. Be sober (1.PET 5:8)
68. Be vigilant (1.PET 5:8)
69. Be mindful of prophecies and commandments (2.PET 3:2)
70. Be diligent to be found in peace (2.PET 3:14)
71. Be diligent to be without spot, and blameless
(2.PET 3:14)
72. Be faithful to death (REV 2:10)
73. Be watchful, strengthen self (REV 3:2)
74. Be zealous and repent (REV 3:19)

The Imperatives, all rooted in the commandments, and to be obeyed, which most here consider as "works"

That's what I see @marks
I am grateful @Brakelite has a much more solid understanding as to "laws" and how that is still applicable in the believer, in Christ, through the Holy Spirit.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I am learning a lot from you @Brakelite and I am glad that the obeying part, the Imperatives, can and must be obeyed, in Christ, through the Spirit, of course, but most see the "obeying part" as works, not obligatory..
Shalom
J.
If there is anything we do or don't do that can be defined as sin, then I think it's a given that we must turn around and do the opposite. From sin to righteousness. From rebelliousness to righteousness. Obedience to God has never been optional.

Reactions: Johann