1 John 3:9 - Is it cannot "practice" sin, or cannot "commit" sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many choose practice over commit in connection with 1 John 1:4 and 9

• Cannot "practice" sin

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Cannot "commit sin

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Claims are only true if you can back them up with

(To be continued in next post):
All have sinned, not some.

"21But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22but it is the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, 25whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. "
Romans 3:21-25

All need to be saved, not some:

"5You meet him who rejoices in doing righteousness,
Who remembers You in Your ways.
Behold, You were angry, for we sinned,
We continued in our sins for a long time;
Yet shall we be saved?
6For all of us have become like one who is unclean,
And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment;
And all of us wither like a leaf,
And our wrongdoings, like the wind, take us away.
7There is no one who calls on Your name,
Who stirs himself to take hold of You;
For You have hidden Your face from us
And have surrendered us to the power of our wrongdoings."
Isaiah 64:5-7

There is One Savior:
11“I, only I, am the LORD,
And there is no savior besides Me.
Isaiah 43:11

And salvation is knowing Him:
"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. "
John 17:3

And salvation is through the gospel:
"16For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek"
Romans 1:16

And this is the gospel preached beforehand by Isaiah:

10But the LORD desired
To crush Him, causing Him grief;
If He renders Himself as a guilt offering,
He will see His offspring,
He will prolong His days,
And the good pleasure of the LORD will prosper in His hand.
11As a result of the anguish of His soul,
He will see it and be satisfied;
By His knowledge the Righteous One,
My Servant, will justify the many,
For He will bear their wrongdoings.
Isaiah 53:10-11

And this is the means of the gospel:
"1My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."
1 John 2:1-2

And this is the promise of the gospel:
"But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11For the Scripture says, “WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE PUT TO SHAME"
Romans 10: 8-11

And this is the assurance of salvation:
"10The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son. 11And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life."
1 John 5:10-12

And this is the confirmation of His presence:
"4For all who are being led by the Spirit of God, these are sons and daughters of God. 15For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons and daughters by which we cry out, “Abba! Father!” 16The Spirit Himself testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, heirs also, heirs of God and fellow heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him so that we may also be glorified with Him."
Romans 8:14-17

And this is God's promise:
"37Everything that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I certainly will not cast out. 38For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39And this is the will of Him who sent Me, that of everything that He has given Me I will lose nothing, but will raise it up on the last day. 40For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who sees the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day.”
John 6:37-40

You can post verses about sin from now to eternity, but you can't change the gospel nor the love of God.
"6For while we were still helpless, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. 7For one will hardly die for a righteous person; though perhaps for the good person someone would even dare to die. 8But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from the wrath of God through Him. 10For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. "
Romans 5:6-10

And this is the New Covenant God made through His own blood:
33“For this is the covenant which I will make with the house of Israel after those days,” declares the LORD: “I will put My law within them and write it on their heart; and I will be their God, and they shall be My people. 34They will not teach again, each one his neighbor and each one his brother, saying, ‘Know the LORD,’ for they will all know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them,” declares the LORD, “for I will forgive their wrongdoing, and their sin I will no longer remember.”
Jeremiah 31:33-34

Have you entered His covenant by faith?
“Truly, truly, I say to you, the one who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life."
John 5:24

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. The Jews were not outwardly righteous. If they were outwardly righteous, then they would not do things that Jesus rebuked them for. The Jews ignored the weightier matters of the Law and they were called as hypocrites by Jesus. So no. Their behavior was not impeccable in the eyes of God.

How would a saint be defined according to the Bible?
I would suggest that we should let the Bible define what a saint is.
I think looking at the word saint is one way to tell and then look at the context.
How do saints behave? Do they act like the devil or justify sin?

One who believes they can sin and still be saved is not born again. 1 John 2:29 says, “…ye know that every one that doeth righteousness is born of him.”

No offense, but this is not my first rodeo in having these kinds of discussions. I have been discussing this topic for over 10 years. Many of Christianity sound similar to what you believe (in that they can sin and still be saved). Do you believe Jesus when He said to strive to enter the straight gate? (See: Luke 13:24). I say this because Paul said if any man does not agree with the words of Jesus Christ and the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. Paul himself said that if any man does not provide for his own he is worse than infidel (unbeliever) and he has denied the faith. Only a believer can do that (See: 1 Timothy 5:8). A fake believer (an unbeliever in disguise) cannot be worse than something that he already is (an unbeliever). Only a believer can be worse than an unbeliever by not doing the good work of providing for their own.
So you don't believe Jesus?

"39But the Lord said to him, “Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and of the dish; but your inside is full of greed and wickedness. 40You foolish ones, did He who made the outside not make the inside also? "
Luke 11:39-40

Shame on you for denying the words of our Lord.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ever notice how you don’t back up what you said in reply with Scripture when your belief is challenged?
You stated opinions dear sir and not Scripture. There is a big difference between the two.

In either case, may the LORD bless you even if we disagree.
The Lord doesn't require a defense of the truth, but you will have to explain your lies, your false testimony and witness.
Shame on you.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To all:

Perpetual Belief Alone Salvationism (the second largest branch of Christianity today) teaches that a believer does not practice sin or otherwise one should question whether they are saved or not, but yet they double speak and also teach that a backslidden Christian is saved.

Is a backsliding Christian still saved? | GotQuestions.org

They also teach that you can commit suicide and be saved or take the mark of the beast and be saved (See this post here).
So they believe that singular sins done on occasion do not lead to spiritual death when in reality the Bible actually teaches that you need to confess of your sin to be forgiven of it (1 John 1:9), and it requires us to forsake our sins to have mercy (Proverbs 28:13).

They think practicing sin is the only way that potentially shows that one is never born again to begin with.
But can this be supported biblically?

No. The whole of the Bible condemns this type of thinking.

#1. Numbers 35:16-18 says it only takes one act of murder to be a murderer; And Leviticus 20:10 says it only takes one act of adultery to be an adulterer.

#2. Jesus Himself regarded just looking at a woman once as an act of adultery (Matthew 5:28).

#3. John says, "No murderer has eternal life abiding in them." (1 John 3:15).

#4. Proverbs 6:32 says "Whosoever commits adultery with a woman lacks understanding: he that does it destroys his own soul."

#5. Jesus Himself says that just looking at a woman in lust (Which is adultery) is potential for a person to be cast bodily in hell fire (See Matthew 5:28-30).

#6. David needed to confess of his sin in order to be forgiven (See Psalms 51).

#7. 1 John 1:9 says if we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

#8. Revelation 21:8 says, "But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burns with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." Murderers and whoremongers will be cast into the lake of fire. All liars will be cast into the lake of fire. ALL liars, and not just some. NO murderer has eternal life abiding in them (1 John 3:15).

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you don't believe Jesus?

"39But the Lord said to him, “Now you Pharisees clean the outside of the cup and of the dish; but your inside is full of greed and wickedness. 40You foolish ones, did He who made the outside not make the inside also? "
Luke 11:39-40

Shame on you for denying the words of our Lord.

I believe Jesus just fine. But your still not getting it. If Jesus said they ignored the weightier matters of the Law like love, faith, justice, and mercy in Luke 11:42, Matthew 23:23, then this would be in their actions. If Jesus said they are hypocrites that would be in their outward actions (of which Jesus condemned). Yes, they would pretend to look righteously before men like in pretending to put on a sad face to look like they were fasting when they were not (Matthew 6:16-18). But Jesus was condemning their outward actions (So they did not live outwardly righteous as you claimed).

Another major thing we are in disagreement is on that you think Jesus was making a point about imputed righteousness in Matthew 5:20 when that was not the point He was making in context. The whole sermon on the mount was about living righteously and not about how you cannot live righteously and so you must therefore trust in the silly popular Christian saying that says that all we have to do is trust in the finished work of the cross alone for salvation (Especially when no such saying exists in the Bible).

Last edited:

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Lord doesn't require a defense of the truth, but you will have to explain your lies, your false testimony and witness.
Shame on you.

Again, we are not in disagreement that the Jews pretended to be righteous. You said that the Jews lived outwardly righteous when that is not the case. According to Jesus they did not live righteously even in their outward behavior.

In addition, we are also in disagreement on whether Jesus was teaching to us today that sin can separate us from God (When you think it only applied to the Jew at that time). However, we see this same teaching even with the apostle Paul in 1 Timothy 5:8, Galatians 5:19-21, Titus 1:16, etcetera. Paul even said if any man does not agree with the words of Jesus Christ, they are proud and they know nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). James 4:6 says God resists the proud and gives grace to the humble. You are saying that the words of Jesus do not apply to us in Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, Matthew 12:37, Matthew 25:31-43, and yet you have yet to provide biblical proof that this was so. Jesus was making changes to the Old Law at the sermon on the mount and so it would not make any sense that the bulk of His teaching would be whitewashed by His death upon the cross. Again, so how exactly did I bear false witness or testimony of you? You have agreed with popular Christianity in liking another believer’s post on their false interpretation on 1 John 1:8 in that it says we must be in some kind of sin or the truth is not in us.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Shame on you.

Perhaps you simply misunderstood me. If you believe I have falsely accused you, then you should make your case as to what you think I said that was a false accusation against you. If you believe I said something false against you, I would like to try and resolve the matter because my soul is on the line if I falsely accuse anyone (Which would not always be the case in popular Christianity - For they teach that individual sins done on occasion do not separate you from God and His salvation because of a false interpretation on 1 John 1:8 and because they erroneously think Jesus paid for their future sin).

Side Note:

Please realize that if you don’t believe the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, etcetera apply to us today and you believe the false interpretation on 1 John 1:8 (in that you must always have sin in this life), then that means you are thinking like popular Christianity in that one can sin and still be saved on some smaller level. But why would Jesus bother to give us these teachings if they were all to be quickly undone by the cross? It makes no sense.

Last edited:

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since "all have sinned" and sin is condemning, we receive Christ's righteousness in receiving Him. We aren't saved by being sinless, but receive mercy and grace. I'm 66 and have yet to meet a sinless person other than Christ Himself. Sin lives in the nature of the flesh, but we receive a 2nd nature in Christ. There is no battle with the flesh until we're born again. Do you imagine that sinners with hardened conscience care about anything but their pleasures? Or that they feel guilt over them?

John actually makes 2 contradictory statements in 1 John that we try to reconcile:
Your quote, 1 John 3:4 and 9.
But this follows after :
"8If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us."
1 John 1:8-10

These two passages in the same epistle are clearly direct logical contradictions.
Perhaps the reconciliation between the two passages is a matter of reckoning or accounting, as the rest of the New Testament Epistles by Paul teach. In spiritual terms Christians (the born again) are reckoned or accounted as sinless because the Spirit of Christ, or "seed" of the logos is in them, not perfected, not fully matured, but growing and moving toward that perfect image which is our Lord.

This is actually expressed in the very same chapter:
"2Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. 3And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure." 1 John 3:2-3

For 2000 years professing Christians have been discussing our liberty in Christ in terms of what we can get away with, like children testing the limits imposed by their parents.
Scripture teaches very plainly that God is pleased by our obedience and not by our rebellion:
22So Samuel said:
“Has the Lord as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices,
As in obeying the voice of the Lord?
Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice,
And to heed than the fat of rams.
23For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft,
And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.
Because you have rejected the word of the Lord,
He also has rejected you from being king.”
1 Samuel 15:22-23

So, God wants our loving obedience, but scripture also plainly teaches our deliverance from the kingdom of darkness, the dominion of the Spirit of this age:
"1And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, 2in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, 3among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others."
Ephesians 2:1-3

"13He has delivered us from the power of darkness and conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins."
Colossians 1:13-14

That this is dependent upon enduring faith is expressed in the same chapter:
"21And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled 22in the body of His flesh through death, to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight— 23if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel which you heard, which was preached to every creature under heaven, of which I, Paul, became a minister."
Colossians 1:21-23

Once more, the carnal mind concerns itself with our own preservation, our salvation, our liberty in Christ, the acceptable limits of our behavior, but the Spirit of Christ serves Christ and glorifies the Father through Him.
1 John 3:3 isn't a commandment, but a description of the heart of a child of God. Love aims to please the object of love. Self love pleases self and this is our natural state, but a love for God expresses itself in obedience to Him:

"15“If you love Me, keep My commandments. 16And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— 17the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. 18I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you."
John 14:15-18
Here Jesus expressed two fundamental truths to Christianity. The first that obedience is an expression of love. The second and more significant is the gift of His Spirit as a sign of adoption.

Paul repeated this plainly in his letter to the Roman church:
"14For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. 15For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” 16The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, 17and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together."
Romans 8:14-17

To summarize, Christians are not characterized by behavior so much as by faith, but love leads to purity as a process through both obedience and discipline.

You’ve come closer to a good balance, especially in your second and third paragraphs, than anyone else. The whole point of verses that seem to contradict each other is to fit them together rather than choose only one of them to champion, so that you are not a pancake unturned and only half baked, surrounded by other halfbaked cakes.

Trying to fit together “cannot sin” and “a liar if you say you haven’t sinned” is an exceedingly good, good labor. That you began in discourse with an overall attitude of “perhaps” is pure air.

Consider this in your good labor - two men, both of them sinners, went to pray. One of the two sinners left with God saying he had done what was right in Gods sight. What was the difference in the two sinners? Wasn’t it that one saw himself accurately and was truthful and asked out of his lack?

So you see, both were sinners. But only one of them saw that and was truthful while praying. So it can be seen that honesty goes a long way with God. If a man struggles with sin, as a first step to receiving more grace, he only needs to be truthful with God.

It’s crucial to not drop the thread that both were sinners, exactly alike in that respect, but that only one walked away with Gods approval.

That is a stepping stone, maybe the first stepping stone, to your labor of putting the other two verses together. I could take it further but I don’t want to take away all your fun! It is the pleasure of kings to search out a matter that God has concealed.

Reactions: Lambano

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All have sinned, not some.

"21But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22but it is the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction, 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus, 25whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. "
Romans 3:21-25

Romans 3:10, and Romans 3:23 are making a point that leads up to how we all need to be Initially saved by God’s grace, and it is not referring to the secondary aspect of salvation mentioned by the apostle Paul in 2 Thessalonians 2:13.

For if you read Romans 3:10, and Romans 3:23 as applying to the present tense walk of the Christian life, then you must also apply Romans 3:11 to the present tense walk of the Christian life that says that they do not have any understanding and they do not seek after God.

You said:
There is One Savior:
11“I, only I, am the LORD,
And there is no savior besides Me.
Isaiah 43:11

Jesus saves not only in forgiving us of our past life of sin, but Jesus saves us in helping us to overcome sin in this life.

See Galatians 5:24, and Romans 13:14.

You said:
And salvation is knowing Him:
"And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent. "
John 17:3

Right, and how do we have the assurance that we know the Lord?

By keeping His commandments (See: 1 John 2:3).
The person who says they know the Lord and they don’t keep His commandments is a liar and the truth is not in them.

You said:
And salvation is through the gospel:
"16For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek"
Romans 1:16

Believing the gospel message in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 is only one aspect of our salvation. See also 2 Thessalonians 2:13, Galatians 6:8-9, Romans 8:13.

You said:
And this is the means of the gospel:
"1My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous; 2and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world."
1 John 2:1-2

Many in Christianity believe…

(a) One will just be characterized by a life of confessing sin but the actual confessing of sins does not actually lead to forgiveness of sin in regards to salvation.
(b) Confessing sin is completely unnecessary in the Christian walk, and is only done when one first comes to the Lord.​

But this is false. Confessing sin is about maintaining your salvation. If one does not confess their sins, they will then abide in spiritual death until they repent. See the parable of the prodigal son in Luke 15.

You said:
And this is the promise of the gospel:
"But what does it say? “THE WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART”—that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10for with the heart a person believes, resulting in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting in salvation. 11For the Scripture says, “WHOEVER BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE PUT TO SHAME"
Romans 10: 8-11

Believing in Jesus is more than just believing in the person of Jesus Christ, but it also requires believing everything Jesus said, too.
Jesus said if we do not receive His words, those words will judge us on the last day (John 12:48). In addition, Jesus made a point that everyone who does not do what He says is like a fool who built His house upon the sand and when a storm came, great was the fall of that house (See: Matthew 7:26-27). Also see the context of this in Matthew 7:22-23.

You said:
And this is the assurance of salvation:
"10The one who believes in the Son of God has the testimony in himself; the one who does not believe God has made Him a liar, because he has not believed in the testimony that God has given concerning His Son. 11And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. 12The one who has the Son has the life; the one who does not have the Son of God does not have the life."
1 John 5:10-12

We can believe in Jesus for eternal life, but we also have to obey Jesus and do what He says to also have life as a part of believing in Hm.
In Hebrews 11: Faith is described as both a belief (Hebrews 11:3), and as doing something God told you do (like with Noah preparing an ark to the saving of his household - Hebrews 11:7). If we don’t have this kind of faith we are not going to make it. Because without faith, it is impossible to please Him (GOD) (Hebrews 11:6).

Eternal life is a person named Jesus Christ (John 14:6). For Christ alone has immortality (1 Timothy 6:16). So we have to abide in Jesus to have eternal life. Again, we can have the assurance that we know Jesus (or abide in Him) by keeping His commandments (1 John 2:3). One is not keeping His commandments if they say they are in sin or they must sin again by a false interpretation on 1 John 1:8. 1 John 1:8 is a warning to the brethren of those gnostic believers who thought sin did not exist or that it was an illusion (See: 1 John 2:26).

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While the Bible scripture is useful,

There is also the leading of the Holy Spirit.

There are people who put emphasis that the Bible "can be used as an authority" but due to God being the authority, the Bible is a great and useful book, but not primary, it is secondary.

What is primary is living by the spirit, to love God and love others.

That even means with people who have different perspective than yourself.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No I don't. I need to listen to the Holy Spirit when reading His word, which is how I'm taught by God. These posts question Christ's faithfulness, first they question God's election and power to save, then they question His faithfulness in committing to fulfill His covenant through us.
How do you say that you know God, yet say that He will not finish the work He started in preparing a bride for His Son?
God calls whom He will call. He quickens His word to our Spirit to convict of sin and to convince of truth. We either believe Him or we don't. We either live by His righteousness or die in our sin. The righteousness of man is the equivalent of dirty menstrual cloth to God, corrupted and unclean.
We are saved by His grace, and we walk in sanctification by His grace.

Jesus taught His disciples one prayer as a pattern to talk with God and in it, the request is to be kept from temptation and delivered from sin. If sinlessness were the real expectation, then why didn't Christ teach us to pray to be sinless. That would contradict John's teaching in 1John. The original letter wasn't broken into chapters. Dissecting it into contradictions is dishonest and a pretext to oppose the cross.

Sorry, but I don't expect Calvinists to believe the Word of God, nor examine what the apostles mean, only Calvin's TULIP nonsence.

cc: @MatthewG Didn't know you were a Calvinist seeing as you liked his post, unless you are just naive.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Eternal life is a person named Jesus Christ (John 14:6). For Christ alone has immortality (1 Timothy 6:16). So we have to abide in Jesus to have eternal life. Again, we can have the assurance that we know Jesus (or abide in Him) by keeping His commandments

Well of course your Legalistic Gospel of works is up and running at full speed again, Bible Highlighter.
Nothing new with you.

However SALVATION is not based on commandment keeping or trying to be good.
Its based on being born again, as the born again exist as "One with God", "in Christ" = as this is their eternal "abiding"..
Its God caused and Blood Atonement maintained.
Philippians 1:6

To be joined in spiritual union with God, is how the born again "abide" = Forever.

Now....Heretics, (devil led deceivers) (Cult members) would have you believe that "commandment keeping, confessing sin, enduring to the end of the Great Tribulation and doing good works is how you by self effort, abide in God".
However, God's Salvation provides the "abiding", as to have become "the Temple of the Holy Spirit" is to eternally abide "in Christ".
To be in Spiritual UNION with God and Christ is how the born again ABIDE in them.

Devil led Heretics never understand this, and usually they desperately want to contradict this eternal security found "in Christ".. with their self saving Legalism doctrine of devils.
Paul, in the NT.... said they are "cursed", 2x.... not just once.

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
However SALVATION is not based on commandment keeping or trying to be good.

So naive and undiscerning.

Commandment keeping nor works don't GET you saved in the beginning. But after you come to Jesus and are saved and have received the Holy Spirit how can you miss all the scriptures that say we do keep the commandments?

1 John 3:21-24.
21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gaveus commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

And there are many more if you would just study first before teaching false doctrines!

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
So naive and undiscerning.

Commandment keeping nor works don't GET you saved in the beginning. But after you are saved and have received the Holy Spirit how can you miss all the scriptures that say we do keep the commandments?

You are teaching : that you have to keep commandments, to stay saved.
That's Legalism that rejects the Cross of Christ and the Grace of God, 1stCenturyLady.
That what a heretic teaches, understand?? = who has not understood that Salvation is a Eternal Gift.
And God's Eternal Gift, is not maintained by your commandment keeping self effort..
You should correct your Cross denying Legalism, and replace your self saving with real in Faith in Christ to keep you saved.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are saying that you have to keep commandments, to stay saved?
That's Legalism that rejects the Cross of Christ and the Grace of God, 1stCenturyLady.
That what a heretic teaches, understand?? = who has not understood that Salvation is a Eternal Gift.
And God's Gift, is not maintained by your commandment keeping self effort.

You blindly missed the key words, O foolish one. Read it again and tell me now if you do not believe the written Word.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You blindly missed the key words, O foolish one.

God's Eternal Gift, is not maintained by your commandment keeping self effort..
You should correct your Cross denying Legalism, and replace your self saving with real in Faith in Christ to keep you saved.

Start anytime you like.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe Jesus just fine. But your still not getting it. If Jesus said they ignored the weightier matters of the Law like love, faith, justice, and mercy in Luke 11:42, Matthew 23:23, then this would be in their actions. If Jesus said they are hypocrites that would be in their outward actions (of which Jesus condemned). Yes, they would pretend to look righteously before men like in pretending to put on a sad face to look like they were fasting when they were not (Matthew 6:16-18). But Jesus was condemning their outward actions (So they did not live outwardly righteous as you claimed).

Another major thing we are in disagreement is on that you think Jesus was making a point about imputed righteousness in Matthew 5:20 when that was not the point He was making in context. The whole sermon on the mount was about living righteously and not about how you cannot live righteously and so you must therefore trust in the silly popular Christian saying that says that all we have to do is trust in the finished work of the cross alone for salvation (Especially when no such saying exists in the Bible).
This is just ignorant. The Apostle Paul was a Pharisee before the Lord met him on the road to Damascus and revealed that it was He whom Saul was persecuting.

"4although I myself could boast as having confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he is confident in the flesh, I have more reason: 5circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

7But whatever things were gain to me, these things I have counted as loss because of Christ. 8More than that, I count all things to be loss [c]in view of the surpassing value of [d]knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, [e]for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them mere rubbish, so that I may gain Christ, 9and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and [f]the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11if somehow I may attain to the resurrection from the dead."
Philippians 3:4-11

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you simply misunderstood me. If you believe I have falsely accused you, then you should make your case as to what you think I said that was a false accusation against you. If you believe I said something false against you, I would like to try and resolve the matter because my soul is on the line if I falsely accuse anyone (Which would not always be the case in popular Christianity - For they teach that individual sins done on occasion do not separate you from God and His salvation because of a false interpretation on 1 John 1:8 and because they erroneously think Jesus paid for their future sin).

Side Note:

Please realize that if you don’t believe the words of Jesus in Matthew 5:28-30, Matthew 6:15, etcetera apply to us today and you believe the false interpretation on 1 John 1:8 (in that you must always have sin in this life), then that means you are thinking like popular Christianity in that one can sin and still be saved on some smaller level. But why would Jesus bother to give us these teachings if they were all to be quickly undone by the cross? It makes no sense.
It might not make sense to you because you don't accept context. Jesus wasn't teaching Gentiles in the gospels with only one or possibly 2 exceptions. He was teaching the law and the prophets to Jews under the law.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry, but I don't expect Calvinists to believe the Word of God, nor examine what the apostles mean, only Calvin's TULIP nonsence.

cc: @MatthewG Didn't know you were a Calvinist seeing as you liked his post, unless you are just naive.
No I'm neither naive nor familiar with Calvin's teaching. I'm born again and taught by God. While it seems that you're just another dismissive cultist.