1 John 3:9 - Is it cannot "practice" sin, or cannot "commit" sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How many choose practice over commit in connection with 1 John 1:4 and 9

• Cannot "practice" sin

Votes: 13 72.2%
  • Cannot "commit sin

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is just ignorant. The Apostle Paul was a Pharisee before the Lord met him on the road to Damascus and revealed that it was He whom Saul was persecuting.

"4although I myself could boast as having confidence even in the flesh. If anyone else thinks he is confident in the flesh, I have more reason: 5circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee; 6as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.

Your still not getting it, my friend. Paul was blameless in the false Pharisee religion that distorted or altered God’s Word to fit their own man made traditions and wrong beliefs. The false Pharisee religion made it all about Works ALONE Salvationism with very little to no grace or mercy from the LORD. We see this in the “Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee” with the parable strongly implying the Pharisee not seeking God’s mercy (unlike the Tax Collector had done). Paul was not blameless before God in the false Pharisee religion. He was only blameless before other Pharisees in the false Pharisee religion.

You said:
7But whatever things were gain to me, these things I have counted as loss because of Christ. 8More than that, I count all things to be loss [c]in view of the surpassing value of [d]knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, [e]for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them mere rubbish, so that I may gain Christ, 9and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith, 10that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and [f]the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death; 11if somehow I may attain to the resurrection from the dead."
Philippians 3:4-11

Yep, and this continued context just proves my point. Also, while you may or may not agree: The Law is the 613 Laws of Moses and not the Laws of Jesus Christ. We cannot be justified by the Laws of Moses (Acts of the Apostles 13:39). Yet, Paul says he is under the Law of Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21). This makes sense because Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. Also, the faith being mentioned here is not faith before Jesus Christ but it is in reference to faith in Jesus Christ. But you may agree with this. But the point here is that Paul counts the ways of the false Pharisee religion and the keeping of the Old Law (that is no more) as dung. So Paul does not have righteousness that comes from the Old Law Alone but on the basis of his faith in Jesus Christ. This New Testament faith is described for us in Hebrews 11 as both a belief alone (Hebrews 11:3), and as in doing what God tells you to do (like with Noah preparing an Ark to the saving of his household - See: Hebrews 11:7).

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So naive and undiscerning.

Commandment keeping nor works don't GET you saved in the beginning. But after you come to Jesus and are saved and have received the Holy Spirit how can you miss all the scriptures that say we do keep the commandments?

1 John 3:21-24.
21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God. 22 And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 23 And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gaveus commandment.
24 Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

And there are many more if you would just study first before teaching false doctrines!
Oh foolish first century lady :
1You foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you, before whose eyes Jesus Christ was publicly portrayed as crucified? 2This is the only thing I want to find out from you: did you receive the Spirit by works of the Law, or by hearing with faith? 3Are you so foolish? Having begun by the Spirit, are you now being perfected by the flesh? 4Did you suffer so many things in vain—if indeed it was in vain? 5So then, does He who provides you with the Spirit and works miracles among you, do it by works of the Law, or by hearing with faith?
Galatians 3:1-5

I guess Paul was a Calvinist before Calvin.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It might not make sense to you because you don't accept context. Jesus wasn't teaching Gentiles in the gospels with only one or possibly 2 exceptions. He was teaching the law and the prophets to Jews under the law.

There is no Jew or Gentile in Christ. Jesus did not tell His disciples to not follow what He commanded in the great commission when going out unto other nations. In fact, the disciples did not understand what Jesus meant in the great commission by going out unto all nations until Cornelius. Even at this point, Peter and the other apostles were never told that the words of Jesus did not apply to Gentiles. In fact, Paul said that if any man does not agree with the words of Jesus Christ, and with the doctrine according to godliness, he is proud and he knows nothing (1 Timothy 6:3-4). You really did not explain this passage before. Also, we see the same warnings against how sin can destroy our souls even after the cross with even the apostle Paul like in 1 Timothy 5:8, Galatians 5:19-21, 1 Corinthians 16:22, Titus 1:16, etcetera.

Also, Jesus was not primarily teaching Old Covenant at the Sermon on the Mount. Jesus’ teachings were NEW teachings!

(To be continued in my next post to you):

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It might not make sense to you because you don't accept context. Jesus wasn't teaching Gentiles in the gospels with only one or possibly 2 exceptions. He was teaching the law and the prophets to Jews under the law.

Jesus clearly was making changes to the Law (even before the cross):
(Which means He was not teaching primarily Old Covenant, but New Covenant):

The Old Way says:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"
(Matthew 5:38 cf. Exodus 21:23-25).

The New Way (by Jesus) says:

"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39).

The Old Way says:

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment" (Matthew 5:21 cf. Numbers 35:30-32).

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22).

The Old Way says:

"Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:" (Matthew 5:34 cf. Numbers 30:1-2, Deuteronomy 23:21).

34 "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." (Matthew 5:34-37).

The Old Way says:

"And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am thy servant." (Psalms 143:12).

"And the city shall be accursed, even it, and all that are therein, to the LORD: only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all that are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent." (Joshua 6:17).

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword." (Joshua 6:21).

16 "But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee" (Deuteronomy 20:16-17).

"They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them" (Psalms 106:34).

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44).

Note: Yes, I am aware that the Old Way (Old Testament) also teaches to love one's enemies (Exodus 23:4-5) (Proverbs 25:21), but this was in context to their own Israelite people, and not pagan nations. Pagan nations were to be destroyed when God commanded the Israelites to destroy them. But Jesus taught a radically different way. Love your enemies, and do good to them that hate you, and to pray for those who persecute you.

The Old Way says:

20 "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel." (Deuteronomy 22:20-22).

4 "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" (John 8:4-5).

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. " (John 8:7).

Even after the cross, there were changes being made:

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:

"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:

"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2).

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because again, Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law."
(Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
(John 1:17).

Jesus said,
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." (Matthew 5:17).

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your still not getting it, my friend. Paul was blameless in the false Pharisee religion that distorted or altered God’s Word to fit their own man made traditions and wrong beliefs. The false Pharisee religion made it all about Works ALONE Salvationism with very little to no grace or mercy from the LORD. We see this in the “Parable of the Tax Collector and the Pharisee” with the parable strongly implying the Pharisee not seeking God’s mercy (unlike the Tax Collector had done). Paul was not blameless before God in the false Pharisee religion. He was only blameless before other Pharisees in the false Pharisee religion.

Yep, and this continued context just proves my point. Also, while you may or may not agree: The Law is the 613 Laws of Moses and not the Laws of Jesus Christ. We cannot be justified by the Laws of Moses (Acts of the Apostles 13:39). Yet, Paul says he is under the Law of Christ (1 Corinthians 9:21). This makes sense because Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed. Also, the faith being mentioned here is not faith before Jesus Christ but it is in reference to faith in Jesus Christ. But you may agree with this. But the point here is that Paul counts the ways of the false Pharisee religion and the keeping of the Old Law (that is no more) as dung. So Paul does not have righteousness that comes from the Old Law Alone but on the basis of his faith in Jesus Christ. This New Testament faith is described for us in Hebrews 11 as both a belief alone (Hebrews 11:3), and as in doing what God tells you to do (like with Noah preparing an Ark to the saving of his household - See: Hebrews 11:7).
No, you're not getting it. The jews were in a covenant of law that was fulfilled at the cross. This was exemplified by Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist, who was called righteous yet disbelieved the angel Gabriel (who appeared to him in the temple and told him that his wife would bear a son.

Reactions: mailmandan

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

While we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace through faith in Christ, the Bible also teaches that after we are saved by God’s grace, that works of faith also play a part in the salvation process (In the Sanctification Process by the Spirit). For both Jesus and Paul taught and or implied that works play a part in eternal life.

#1. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you can deny God by one's works.

For Jesus said,
"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:23).

Jesus said,

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 25:30).

Paul said,

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

#2. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you need to drink of (walk in) the Spirit as a part of everlasting life.

Jesus said,
"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:14).

Jesus said,

"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." (John 7:38).

John said this of Jesus's words,
"(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" (John 7:39).

Paul said,

“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Paul said,

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

Paul said,

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).

#3. Both Jesus and Paul say that the judgment involves those being condemned or punished in the afterlife for doing evil vs. doing good leading to glory or life as a part of God's kingdom.

Jesus said,
"And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Paul said,

"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Paul said,

19 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21).

#4. Both Jesus and Paul taught that we have to continue to abide in the good works of the Lord or we will be cut off and or burned in the fire.

Jesus said,
4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned" (John 15:4-6).

Paul said,

“For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

#5. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say that the fear of the Lord is a part of salvation.

Jesus said,
"Fear not them who can kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him (The Lord, i.e. Jesus) who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna (i.e. the Lake of Fire) (‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10:28‬).

Paul said,

"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12).

#6. Both Jesus and Paul taught that laboring for the right kind of food relates to everlasting life.

Jesus says,
"Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you..." (John 6:29).

Jesus says,

"My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." (John 4:34).

Paul said,

“...And having become servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness and the end, everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22).

#7. Both Jesus and Paul spoke of a time in the last days of where false prophets shall arise who are faithless and who do not love (i.e. they will have a form of godliness).

Jesus said,
"Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8).

Jesus said,

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12).

Jesus said,

"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matthew 24:11).

Paul said,

1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was."
(2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Side Note:

Please take note that James says he will show you his faith by his works (James 2:18). So the faithless that Jesus talks about are those who are fruitless or those who do not have any truly good works. 2 Timothy 3:1-9 is also a revealing passage, as well. Basically it is saying what you are not supposed to be like. For this passage describes those who have a form of godliness and they are lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. This means that a Belief Alone Type Gospel (that leads to one not being concerned about sin or not treating it as seriously) is simply not true. For the moment I tell someone that all they need to do to be saved is to believe in Jesus and nothing else, they are going to not be concerned with living holy (because they do not think it is necessary to enter God's Kingdom).

Reactions: Wynona

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus clearly was making changes to the Law (even before the cross):
(Which means He was not teaching primarily Old Covenant, but New Covenant):

The Old Way says:

"Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth"
(Matthew 5:38 cf. Exodus 21:23-25).

"But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also." (Matthew 5:39).

The Old Way says:

"Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment" (Matthew 5:21 cf. Numbers 35:30-32).

"But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire." (Matthew 5:22).

The Old Way says:

"Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:" (Matthew 5:34 cf. Numbers 30:1-2, Deuteronomy 23:21).

34 "But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:
35 Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.
36 Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.
37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil." (Matthew 5:34-37).

The Old Way says:

"And of thy mercy cut off mine enemies, and destroy all them that afflict my soul: for I am thy servant." (Psalms 143:12).

"And the city shall be accursed, even it, and all that are therein, to the LORD: only Rahab the harlot shall live, she and all that are with her in the house, because she hid the messengers that we sent." (Joshua 6:17).

"And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword." (Joshua 6:21).

16 "But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the LORD thy God hath commanded thee" (Deuteronomy 20:16-17).

"They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them" (Psalms 106:34).

"But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;" (Matthew 5:44).

Note: Yes, I am aware that the Old Way (Old Testament) also teaches to love one's enemies (Exodus 23:4-5) (Proverbs 25:21), but this was in context to their own Israelite people, and not pagan nations. Pagan nations were to be destroyed when God commanded the Israelites to destroy them. But Jesus taught a radically different way. Love your enemies, and do good to them that hate you, and to pray for those who persecute you.

The Old Way says:

20 "But if this thing be true, and the tokens of virginity be not found for the damsel:
21 Then they shall bring out the damsel to the door of her father's house, and the men of her city shall stone her with stones that she die: because she hath wrought folly in Israel, to play the whore in her father's house: so shalt thou put evil away from among you.
22 If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel." (Deuteronomy 22:20-22).

4 "They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.
5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?" (John 8:4-5).

"He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. " (John 8:7).

Even after the cross, there were changes being made:

The Old Covenant says this about circumcision:

"And the uncircumcised man child whose flesh of his foreskin is not circumcised, that soul shall be cut off from his people; he hath broken my covenant." (Genesis 17:14).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about circumcision:

"Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2).

The Old Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

32 "And while the children of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man that gathered sticks upon the sabbath day.
33 And they that found him gathering sticks brought him unto Moses and Aaron, and unto all the congregation.
34 And they put him in ward, because it was not declared what should be done to him.
35 And the Lord said unto Moses, The man shall be surely put to death: all the congregation shall stone him with stones without the camp.
36 And all the congregation brought him without the camp, and stoned him with stones, and he died; as the Lord commanded Moses." (Numbers 15:32-36).

Yet, the New Covenant says this about the Sabbath:

"Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days:" (Colossians 2:16).

So it appears things have changed.

This makes sense because again, Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

"For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law."
(Hebrews 7:12).

“For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.”
(John 1:17).

Jesus said,
"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil." (Matthew 5:17).
When you start with fiction, you end with fiction. Jesus was a rabbi teaching grace from the Law. He came fulfilling the law. The new covenant was not initiated until the last supper and even then the Apostles were clueless about His death and resurrection.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While we are initially and ultimately saved by God's grace through faith in Christ, the Bible also teaches that after we are saved by God’s grace, that works of faith also play a part in the salvation process (In the Sanctification Process by the Spirit). For both Jesus and Paul taught and or implied that works play a part in eternal life.

#1. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you can deny God by one's works.

For Jesus said,
"And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity" (Matthew 7:23).

Jesus said,

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth" (Matthew 25:30).

Paul said,

"They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate." (Titus 1:16).

#2. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say you need to drink of (walk in) the Spirit as a part of everlasting life.

Jesus said,
"But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life." (John 4:14).

Jesus said,

"He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water." (John 7:38).

John said this of Jesus's words,
"(But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)" (John 7:39).

Paul said,

“...God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth” (2 Thessalonians 2:13).

Paul said,

“For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.” (Romans 8:13).

Paul said,

“There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.” (Romans 8:1).

#3. Both Jesus and Paul say that the judgment involves those being condemned or punished in the afterlife for doing evil vs. doing good leading to glory or life as a part of God's kingdom.

Jesus said,
"And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Paul said,

"But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile; But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile: For there is no respect of persons with God." (Romans 2:8-11).

Paul said,

19 "Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God." (Galatians 5:19-21).

#4. Both Jesus and Paul taught that we have to continue to abide in the good works of the Lord or we will be cut off and or burned in the fire.

Jesus said,
4 "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned" (John 15:4-6).

Paul said,

“For if God spared not the natural branches, take heed lest he also spare not thee. Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off.” (Romans 11:21-22).

#5. Both Jesus and Paul essentially say that the fear of the Lord is a part of salvation.

Jesus said,
"Fear not them who can kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear Him (The Lord, i.e. Jesus) who is able to destroy both soul and body in Gehenna (i.e. the Lake of Fire) (‭‭Matthew‬ ‭10:28‬).

Paul said,

"...work out your own salvation with fear and trembling." (Philippians 2:12).

#6. Both Jesus and Paul taught that laboring for the right kind of food relates to everlasting life.

Jesus says,
"Labour not for the meat which perisheth, but for that meat which endureth unto everlasting life, which the Son of man shall give unto you..." (John 6:29).

Jesus says,

"My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work." (John 4:34).

Paul said,

“...And having become servants of God, ye have your fruit unto holiness and the end, everlasting life.” (Romans 6:22).

#7. Both Jesus and Paul spoke of a time in the last days of where false prophets shall arise who are faithless and who do not love (i.e. they will have a form of godliness).

Jesus said,
"Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?" (Luke 18:8).

Jesus said,

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." (Matthew 24:12).

Jesus said,

"And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many" (Matthew 24:11).

Paul said,

1 "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.
8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
9 But they shall proceed no further: for their folly shall be manifest unto all men, as theirs also was."
(2 Timothy 3:1-9).

Side Note:

Please take note that James says he will show you his faith by his works (James 2:18). So the faithless that Jesus talks about are those who are fruitless or those who do not have any truly good works. 2 Timothy 3:1-9 is also a revealing passage, as well. Basically it is saying what you are not supposed to be like. For this passage describes those who have a form of godliness and they are lovers of pleasure more than lovers of God. This means that a Belief Alone Type Gospel (that leads to one not being concerned about sin or not treating it as seriously) is simply not true. For the moment I tell someone that all they need to do to be saved is to believe in Jesus and nothing else, they are going to not be concerned with living holy (because they do not think it is necessary to enter God's Kingdom).

Nope. Jesus was teaching that men can't possibly meet the requirements of righteousness and said it was impossible for men to do so.
"25When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, “Then who can be saved?” 26And looking at them, Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Matthew 19:25-26

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you're not getting it. The jews were in a covenant of law that was fulfilled at the cross. This was exemplified by Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist, who was called righteous yet disbelieved the angel Gabriel (who appeared to him in the temple and told him that his wife would bear a son.

I am not in disagreement that the 613 Laws of Moses was fulfilled at the cross. But Jesus teachings at the Sermon on the Mount was not entirely from these laws. If you believe otherwise, then the burden of proof is on you to show us how the New teachings by Jesus are all entirely Old covenant laws. Note: Yes, I am aware of one command by our Lord at the sermon on the mount that would be Old Covenant, but this would not be the case for the bulk of His New Testament teachings that were new. In fact, Jesus says that the Law and the prophets was until John. This means that Jesus was offering a New Covenant way that was different.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When you start with fiction, you end with fiction. Jesus was a rabbi teaching grace from the Law. He came fulfilling the law. The new covenant was not initiated until the last supper and even then the Apostles were clueless about His death and resurrection.

Well, seeing you are not really looking at the verses I put forth to you (that demolishes your belief), and you are just hitting the reply button super fast, I can see that you are not out to have a back and forth discussion with hearing what the Bible actually says. So until you explain the verses that destroys your belief, there really is no point in continuing this discussion, my friend.

Peace be unto you in the LORD.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nope. Jesus was teaching that men can't possibly meet the requirements of righteousness and said it was impossible for men to do so.
"25When the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, “Then who can be saved?” 26And looking at them, Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
Matthew 19:25-26

Well, first, you did not even get a chance to look at the verses I put forth to you (to see if they have any merit).

Second, Jesus’ point in Matthew 19:25-26 was not man’s inability to be able to obey but the conclusion of that chapter was in how they do need to obey God as a part of inheriting eternal life.

Matthew 19:29
“And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life.”

Jesus was just making a point in Matthew 19:26 about how man cannot save themselves without God. Salvation is synergistic. It’s not forced upon conscious adult men. Salvation for those who are born again is cooperative (Whereby a person needs God to be saved both in being saved by His grace, and in His Sanctification in living a holy life).

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To all:

For those who may be confused on Philippians 3:6:

Paul was not blameless in the Old Law because he was having Christians persecuted and killed.

Philippians 3:6
“Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.”

Paul says he was blameless in TOUCHING the righteousness which is in the Law. Touching does not exactly mean a full embrace. Also, the righteousness which is in the Law is to love your neighbor (Romans 13:8-10). Surely Paul was not doing that because he was having Christians killed.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am not in disagreement that the 613 Laws of Moses was fulfilled at the cross. But Jesus teachings at the Sermon on the Mount was not entirely from these laws. If you believe otherwise, then the burden of proof is on you to show us how the New teachings by Jesus are all entirely Old covenant laws. Note: Yes, I am aware of one command by our Lord at the sermon on the mount that would be Old Covenant, but this would not be the case for the bulk of His New Testament teachings that were new. In fact, Jesus says that the Law and the prophets was until John. This means that Jesus was offering a New Covenant way that was different.
Jesus also taught the prophets. He did nothing but what the Father showed Him. He did the works of the Father from scripture and everything He did was in fulfillment of the Law and the prophets.

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To all:

For those who may be confused on Philippians 3:6:

Paul was not blameless in the Old Law because he was killing Christians.

Philippians 3:6
“Concerning zeal, persecuting the church; touching the righteousness which is in the law, blameless.”

Paul says he was blameless in TOUCHING the righteousness which is in the Law. Touching does not exactly mean a full embrace. Also, the righteousness which is in the Law is to love your neighbor (Romans 13:8-10).
So you believe Paul lied. The law required the death of those who spoke blasphemy and by stoning. Since most of the Jews did not recognize Jesus as equal to God, including the Apostle Thomas, they were required by law to stone Him and tried to in Nazareth.

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus also taught the prophets. He did nothing but what the Father showed Him. He did the works of the Father from scripture and everything He did was in fulfillment of the Law and the prophets.

All sounds great, but you need Scriptural proof to back up that the specific teachings of Jesus Christ at the sermon on the Mount do not apply to us today. You need to show that with God’s Word. Right now… it’s just you talking. That’s not proof of anything. Yes, the Old Law was fulfilled, but you have not proved that the sermon on the Mount teachings were all exclusively Old Covenant. Yes, Jesus gave these new ways under the Old Covenant, but that does not mean they are all Old Covenant teachings because we don’t see many of these teachings in the Old Testament. Plus, what do you make of 1 Timothy 6:3-4 when Paul says if any man speaks contrary to the words of Jesus Christ? The words we have of Jesus primarily are in the gospels and God would know that (even ahead of time because God knows the future in that the Holy Bible would one day come into existence from the various letters of Scripture, etcetera).

michaelvpardo

Feb 26, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
9Now He also told this parable to some people who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and viewed others with contempt: 10“Two men went up into the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11The Pharisee stood and began praying this in regard to himself: ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other people: swindlers, crooked, adulterers, or even like this tax collector. 12I fast twice a week; I pay tithes of all that I get.’ 13But the tax collector, standing some distance away, was even unwilling to raise his eyes toward heaven, but was beating his chest, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me, the sinner!’ 14I tell you, this man went to his house justified rather than the other one; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 18:9-14

Bible Highlighter

Feb 17, 2022
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you believe Paul lied. The law required the death of those who spoke blasphemy and by stoning. Since most of the Jews did not recognize Jesus as equal to God, including the Apostle Thomas, they were required by law to stone Him and tried to in Nazareth.

According to God, Paul was not supposed to persecute His people. So no. He was not blameless in the keeping of even the Old Law seeing that he did not love his true brethren (he did not know were his real brethren). You cannot be blameless and kill your brothers.