10 different NT warning-types against eternal security

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone were to allow sin to become fully-grown in their life after becoming alive in Christ, hypothetically they can die spiritually (James 1:14-16). Yet in John 11:25-27, Jesus makes it clear that if anyone lives and believes in Him, they will never die. And this is not talking about physical death since everyone who believed in Jesus from that point forward has died physically. So it is talking about spiritual life and death. Which would indicate to me that if anyone lives and believes in Jesus, they will never allow sin to become fully-grown in their lives. They will be on their guard against sin; and will never allow it to have full sway to the point that it might bring about spiritual death.

If they were to allow it to do so, it would be a sign to me that they were not alive at all in the first place but were spiritually dead from the getgo.

Are you a saint?
What is a saint? It might surprise you?
The Catholic definition of saint includes four cardinal virtues: prudence, temperance, fortitude and justice; Sinlessness would be a good thing. If a person displays these qualities in a consistent and exceptional way. Then there is an investigation. When someone is proclaimed a saint by the pope – which can happen only after death – public devotion to the saint is then authorized for Catholics throughout the world. But from start to finish, nearly everything in this process is political.

The common Protestant view of saint, is over shadowed by the dislike of Catholics and Mormons? Protestants generally do not refer to their groups or congregations as saints. They do not designate individuals as saints. If someone would designate themselves as a saint, it probably would not go over well.

The biblical definition of saint as a whole does not agree with either of these two perspectives. Most would say that the word saint mean holy one or very good person, which to some degree would make sense. But actually in the Bible it means those that believe in Christ as God and Savior. The word Christian only appears 3 times in the Bible and the word Christianity does not appear at all. The word saint(s) on the on the other hand appears over 60 times and occurs in nearly every book outside of the Gospels, referring to those that believe in Christ. It is an important point because we should apply the concept of saint to ourselves, because that is how Christ expects us to act and thereby a light to the world, and support for each other. What is in a name or a label? The mind knows, and that is how it perceives. Most of us know, for good or bad, names can set our opinions, views, and feeling on things. Beyond that accuracy is important.

The term saint is mostly used by Paul. Matthew and James are not going to refer to Christians as saints, because they still are going to consider themselves Jews and their writings are going to have some Jewish perspectives, because they are juggling both religions. John eventually uses the term in Revelation.

The point of this is….and yes there is a point, sinning saints? Friends of Christ that sin? That the members of the family of God are sinners? That the body of Christ are sinners?

We all sin and fall short of the Glory of God….but to call the forgiven sinners categorically, I am not sure about that. The Trinity had a plan, the situation so serious and there was such a need that a God had to go through the Passion. Not enough room to go into detail on all that…but if the Son of God had to die to accomplish this plan you can bet it had good chance of being successful….My yoke is easy and My burden is light…so forgiveness is another long topic but…When your son steals a hundred dollars from a bank…it is a federal offense and prison time maybe in his future, but when he steals a hundred dollars from you, you handle that a little differently. Our sins...transgressions are between us and Christ, and in many ways that is where the context of sin is at.

Of course there are different severity of sins and there is an important consideration of morality. Paul said, All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything. 1st Corinthians 6:12 and Christ said, You are My friends if you do what I command you. John 15:14 Oddly enough, both of these statements are correct and not in contradiction. It is one of the reasons that I brought up the topic of saints. We are a lawless bunch! But we have an affinity for morals and those morals cannot be written in laws. Not everyone comes to Christianity a wretched wreak, some of us were raised that way and have had an interest in morales since we can remember.

Have you ever had anyone define the Law of Christ, the Law of Liberty, and the Royal Law…The Royal Law is easy because James sites a Mosaic Law…Love thy neighbor. James 2:8 Usually if you ask about the Law of Christ and the Law of Liberty, their answer will be Love God and love your neighbor Matthew 22:36-40 Again sighting Mosaic Law. Do you think this is the Law of Christ? The answer is yes, but in that particular case, Christ turned the tables on the Jews that were testing Him, effectively saying that His teachings were the summation of all Laws. People do not like the idea of calling Christ’s teaching philosophy because of its connection to the Greeks. So what are you going to call it? Away of thinking? Away of the heart? Whatever makes you feel good. Away of thinking is better than any written Law. A system of Law calls for a system of lawyers. It didn’t work. Away of thinking…is the way to go.

Now for this very reason also, applying all diligence, in your faith supply moral excellence, and in your moral excellence, knowledge, and in your knowledge, self-control, and in your self-control, perseverance, and in your perseverance, godliness, and in your godliness, brotherly kindness, and in your brotherly kindness, love. 2nd Peter 1:5-7

Peter sums it up, so is it all about obedience? Some would say so. But that is not what Peter was saying. Peter is talking about the application of Christ’s teaching to our lives. A path to learn, the journey we call life. I call it the walk, that is, shoulder to shoulder with Christ. There is no way Christ could tell you all the things you should not do or all the things you should do. He taught by example, live your life by His example. Then again you can be obedient and live in a closet and only come out on Sundays, maybe that is the safe way, because if you do the walk, you are going to get into trouble, if you tell the truth, you are going to get into trouble, along the way you are going to fall sometimes. But if you are walking shoulder to shoulder with Christ … guess who is going to help you back up on your feet.

When we look at harmonizing the scriptures pertaining to salvation and sin, one of the things we have to consider is that even as early as the Bible we are working with two different Christian beliefs. The Jewish-Christians are somewhere between Judaism and Christianity. They are not only juggling the concepts of Christ’s teachings and the Mosaic Law, but also Jewish traditions, festivals, and holy days. And yes, the concepts of sin and salvation. So their take on sin and salvation, like it or not is going to be different. That is something you have to sort out. Usually it is not the scriptures that are in contradiction, but rather two somewhat different beliefs being expressed. Still some would rather live with the dozens of apparent contradictions than to admit this, in which case you will chase your tail for eternity.

I am not going to say that Paul preached against the other Apostles, but then there was a reason for the council at Jerusalem. With in the teachings of Paul he addressed and warned about the snares of sin. For example; 1st Corinthians 6:9-10 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God…

This is a valid scripture and not a contradiction. But it does have a context. Christ is still going to heaven even though he drank some wine. This verse is sighting habitual sins. A lesson that is important on both sides of the coin. Sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it. A person that lives his life as an adulterer is not going to heaven…because as we all know, repentance cannot be accomplished with habitual sins.

Sin also brings its own punishment!….where did that come from…the movie, The Shack. Sinning brings pain and suffering to our life and to the lives of those around us, and you may not end up where you want to be. Most of the scriptures that warn of sin are referring to habitual sin, not a single instance, or even a few instances. Forgiveness is a tenet of faith in Christianity. Christ’s compassion to forgive will always exceed our’s. God's unconditional willingness to offer forgiveness had to be part of the plan because at best we will fail from time to time.

The fact is, the salvation that Christ provides, is solid…if that was not part of the plan, He would not have died for it. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1st John 1:9 But in the interest of proving my point I need to go through the scriptures and discuss the individual points. I believe it will be a worthy discussion. So I will continue with a few more posts. And for here I have some “trivia” on saints.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 9:13
But Ananias answered, “Lord, I have heard from many about this man, how much harm he did to Your saints at Jerusalem;

Acts 9:32
Now as Peter was traveling through all those regions, he came down also to the saints who lived at Lydda.

Act 9:41
And he gave her his hand and raised her up; and calling the saints and widows, he presented her alive.

Acts 26:10
And this is just what I did in Jerusalem; not only did I lock up many of the saints in prisons, having received authority from the chief priests, but also when they were being put to death I cast my vote against them.

Romans 1:7
to all who are beloved of God in Rome, called as saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Roman 8:27
and He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.

Roman 12:10-13
Be devoted to one another in brotherly love; give preference to one another in honor; not lagging behind in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer, contributing to the needs of the saints, practicing hospitality.

Romans 15:25-26
but now, I am going to Jerusalem serving the saints. For Macedonia and Achaia have been pleased to make a contribution for the poor among the saints in Jerusalem. Yes, they were pleased to do so, and they are indebted to them. For if the Gentiles have shared in their spiritual things, they are indebted to minister to them also in material things. Therefore, when I have finished this, and have put my seal on this fruit of theirs, I will go on by way of you to Spain. I know that when I come to you, I will come in the fullness of the blessing of Christ. Now I urge you, brethren, by our Lord Jesus Christ and by the love of the Spirit, to strive together with me in your prayers to God for me, that I may be rescued from those who are disobedient in Judea, and that my service for Jerusalem may prove acceptable to the saints;

Romans 16:1-2
I commend to you our sister Phoebe, who is a servant of the church which is at Cenchrea; that you receive her in the Lord in a manner worthy of the saints, and that you help her in whatever matter she may have need of you; for she herself has also been a helper of many, and of myself as well.

Romans 16:15
Greet Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and all the saints who are with them.

1st Corinthians 1:2
To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who have been sanctified in Christ Jesus, saints by calling, with all who in every place call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours:

1st Corinthians 6:1
Does any one of you, when he has a case against his neighbor, dare to go to law before the unrighteous and not before the saints? Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? If the world is judged by you, are you not competent to constitute the smallest law courts?

1st Corinthians 14:33
for God is not a God of confusion but of peace, as in all the churches of the saints.

1st Corinthian 16:1
Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I directed the churches of Galatia, so do you also.

1st Corinthian 16:15
Now I urge you, brethren (you know the household of Stephanas, that they were the first fruits of Achaia, and that they have devoted themselves for ministry to the saints),

2nd Corinthian 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, and Timothy our brother, To the church of God which is at Corinth with all the saints who are throughout Achaia:

2nd Corinthian 9:1
For it is superfluous for me to write to you about this ministry to the saints;

2nd Corinthian 9:12
For the ministry of this service is not only fully supplying the needs of the saints, but is also overflowing through many thanksgivings to God.

Ephesians 1:1
Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints who are at Ephesus and who are faithful in Christ Jesus:

Ephesians 1:15-18
For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you and your love for all the saints, do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you will know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,

Ephesians 2:19
So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints, and are of God’s household,

Ephesians 3:8
To me, the very least of all saints, this grace was given, to preach to the Gentiles the unfathomable riches of Christ,

Ephesians 3:18
may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth,

Ephesians 5:3
But immorality or any impurity or greed must not even be named among you, as is proper among saints;

Ephesians 6:18
With all prayer and petition pray at all times in the Spirit, and with this in view, be on the alert with all perseverance and petition for all the saints,

Philippians 1:1
Paul and Timothy, bond-servants of Christ Jesus, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, including the overseers and deacons:

Philippians 4:21-22
Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you, especially those of Caesar’s household.

Colossians 1:2
To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ who are at Colossae: Grace to you and peace from God our Father.

Colossians 1:4
since we heard of your faith in Christ Jesus and the love which you have for all the saints;

Colossians 1:12
giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified us to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light.

Colossians 1:26
that is, the mystery which has been hidden from the past ages and generations, but has now been manifested to His saints,

1st Thessalonians 3:13
so that He may establish your hearts without blame in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all His saints.

2nd Thessalonians 1:10
when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed.

Philemon 1:7
For I have come to have much joy and comfort in your love, because the hearts of the saints have been refreshed through you, brother.

Hebrews 6:10
For God is not unjust so as to forget your work and the love which you have shown toward His name, in having ministered and in still ministering to the saints.

Hebrews 13:24
Greet all of your leaders and all the saints. Those from Italy greet you.

Jude 1:3
Beloved, while I was making every effort to write you about our common salvation, I felt the necessity to write to you appealing that you contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints.

Revelation 5:8
When He had taken the book, the four living creatures and the twenty-four elders fell down before the Lamb, each one holding a harp and golden bowls full of incense, which are the prayers of the saints.

Revelation 8:3-4
Another angel came and stood at the altar, holding a golden censer; and much incense was given to him, so that he might add it to the prayers of all the saints on the golden altar which was before the throne. And the smoke of the incense, with the prayers of the saints, went up before God out of the angel’s hand.

Revelation 11:18
And the nations were enraged, and Your wrath came, and the time came for the dead to be judged, and the time to reward Your bond-servants the prophets and the saints and those who fear Your name, the small and the great, and to destroy those who destroy the earth.”

Revelation 13:7
It was also given to him to make war with the saints and to overcome them, and authority over every tribe and people and tongue and nation was given to him.

Revelation 13:10
If anyone is destined for captivity, to captivity he goes; if anyone kills with the sword, with the sword he must be killed. Here is the perseverance and the faith of the saints.

Revelation 14:12
Here is the perseverance of the saints who keep the commandments of God and their faith in Jesus.

Revelation 16:6
for they poured out the blood of saints and prophets, and You have given them blood to drink. They deserve it.”

Revelation 17:6
And I saw the woman drunk with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the witnesses of Jesus. When I saw her, I wondered greatly.

Revelation 18:24
And in her was found the blood of prophets and of saints and of all who have been slain on the earth.”

Revelation 19:8
It was given to her to clothe herself in fine linen, bright and clean; for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.

Revelation 20:9
And they came up on the broad plain of the earth and surrounded the camp of the saints and the beloved city, and fire came down from heaven and devoured them.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

Just jumping in here...and I see @charity is reading along too. :)

My take on this is different.

1 Cor 6 9-11. " Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? ...
Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God
."

For myself I place the TV preachers who are EXTORTIONERS. Some healing ministeries who are/were ( as A.A Alan..and others today) drunkards...
I stick thieves in there too. They rob the poor...and those many lead pastors who have had/ are having affairs ...adultery ....I could go on .

I do think they are saved...so many started well but went off the rails because of the lust for gold , glory or girls ...
We have not walked in their shoes, so we don't have the same level of temptation from the devil.

I can't call "time" on them, that God's call.

What I see is they will not INHERIT....they will not be in the Company/ Group of the Son's , those who continue the Fathers Business in the Kingdom...on the new earth and in heaven...leadership.

( I know Marks and I have been around this one before :) )
I see that they have had their period of being tested in leadership and failed the test. There will be found no place of inheritance no 'portion' for them.
They wont sit with the ranks of Abraham, Moses , and the rest of the faithful fathers throughout time...they were not faithful in what they were given to be stewards over.

Just my two cents as I read along with you guys :)

( I don't need any feed back or derailing of this thread haha! Just wanted to throw my bit in here.....just carry on as if I didn't :) )

Blessings Helen
'For the gifts
and calling
of God
are without repentance.'

(Romans 11:29)

Hello Helen,

What you are saying, I believe, is that what can be lost is the reward for faithful service, or enduring to the end, but not the gift of life, for that is God's gift to us.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: marks and Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
'For the gifts
and calling
of God
are without repentance.'

(Romans 11:29)

Hello Helen,

What you are saying, I believe, is that what can be lost is the reward for faithful service, but not the gift of life, for that is God's gift to us.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

thumbup1[1].gif

Reactions: charity and marks

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hello @Zachary,
Zachary, please consider the Corinthians believers, who were known for their carnality, and for some gross sinfulness, which Paul admonished them for: however, did Paul warn them that they would lose their salvation if they did not mend their ways? Did he turn away from them? Did He accuse them of unbelief?
1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?
Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners
will inherit the kingdom of God.

1 John 2 and 1 John 3 teach us ...
"those who practice righteousness are righteous!"

Acts 10:35 teaches us ...
“who fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him”

Last edited:

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1 Corinthians 6:9-10
Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God?
Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners
will inherit the kingdom of God.

"those who practice righteousness are righteous!:

Acts 10:35 teaches us ...
“who fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him”

With respect, @Zachery, 1 Corinthians 6:9-10 has been covered in a previous post. You did not accept it then, so you are unlikely to accept it if I reiterate it. However, what can be lost is the reward for faithfulness and enduring unto the end: but not LIFE, for that is a gift of God, and will not be repented of.

May God be the arbiter in this matter,
and may His will be done in each one of us,
for His Name and glory's sake.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Helen

Zachary

Sep 24, 2015
B.C., Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
How do we like this one? ...

Paul wrote this to the Corinthian church concerning his words of rebuke
in 1 Corinthians that he had sent to them concerning some particular sin(s).
They really needed to be sorrowful and repent.

“… the pain (from his rebuke) caused you to repent and change your ways.
It was the kind of sorrow God wants His people to have, so you were not
harmed by us in any way. For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience
leads us away from sin and results in salvation. … worldly sorrow, which lacks
repentance, results in spiritual (eternal) death.” (2 Corinthians 7:8-10, NLT)

Reactions: justbyfaith

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How do we like this one? ...

Paul wrote this to the Corinthian church concerning his words of rebuke
in 1 Corinthians that he had sent to them concerning some particular sin(s).
They really needed to be sorrowful and repent.

“… the pain (from his rebuke) caused you to repent and change your ways.
It was the kind of sorrow God wants His people to have, so you were not
harmed by us in any way. For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience
leads us away from sin and results in salvation. … worldly sorrow, which lacks
repentance, results in spiritual (eternal) death.” (2 Corinthians 7:8-10, NLT)

Shall we look at a broader context in a more literal translation?

8 For though I made you sorry with a letter, I do not repent, though I did repent: for I perceive that the same epistle hath made you sorry, though it were but for a season.
9 Now I rejoice, not that ye were made sorry, but that ye sorrowed to repentance: for ye were made sorry after a godly manner, that ye might receive damage by us in nothing.
10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.
11 For behold this selfsame thing, that ye sorrowed after a godly sort, what carefulness it wrought in you, yea, what clearing of yourselves, yea, what indignation, yea, what fear, yea, what vehement desire, yea, what zeal, yea, what revenge! In all things ye have approved yourselves to be clear in this matter.

A principle is that worldly sorrow works death, but Godly sorry works repentance to salvation.

These believers were approved. Their salvation is "not to be repented of".

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To put it into one short sentence ...

The whole entirely of the NT dictates that
true saving belief includes obedience.

Obedience to what? ... Jesus' commandments, the teachings in the epistles, etc.

Truly, a saving faith is an obedient faith. Faith without obedience is dead (and therefore there is a faith without obedience).

The obedience doesn't save (Ephesians 2:8-9).

"those who practice righteousness are righteous!"

Compare that to Romans 5:19 and other verses in Romans, and you will see that we are declared/made righteous by faith...and that we practice righteousness because we are righteous.

Last edited:
Reactions: marks

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point of this is….and yes there is a point, sinning saints? Friends of Christ that sin? That the members of the family of God are sinners? That the body of Christ are sinners?

We all sin and fall short of the Glory of God….but to call the forgiven sinners categorically, I am not sure about that.

Actually, all of us have sinned and come short of the glory of God...this does not preclude that we do sin now nor that we will sin in the future. See 1 John 3:5-9 and a plethora of other passages.

Christ is still going to heaven even though he drank some wine. This verse is sighting habitual sins.

Jesus turned the water into wine; and the Jews called Him a winebibber (for that He ate and drank with tax collectors and sinners); but I don't think I have ever seen a verse where Jesus drank wine, except at the last Supper; where He instituted communion. I don't believe Jesus ever became drunk (for He was without sin). And in John 8:31-36 Jesus said that whosoever commits (even one) sin is a slave of sin...so I would not presume to think that I can get away with one sin of a type and that I will not also commit the same sin two weeks later...but because I isolate the sins as being singular, I do not recognize them as habitual and therefore it takes twenty years of sinning before I realize that I am a sinner in need of the Saviour...I would do well to recognize that I am a sinner if I even commit one sin...and that this means I am not born of God, 1 John 3:8-9.

where did that come from…the movie, The Shack.

Not a good source...I have heard that it promoted gnostic ideologies.

Most of the scriptures that warn of sin are referring to habitual sin, not a single instance, or even a few instances.

Again, the problem with this is that we tend to single out our sins as being singular in order that we might lie to ourselves and tell ourselves that we are born of God even though we are committing habitual sin. We say,"I only did it that one time" and two weeks later, when we commit it again, we say, "I only did it that one time; and therefore it is not habitual..." we tell ourselves that we are born of God when the Bible testifies otherwise. We would do well to stop making excuses and repent.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, all of us have sinned and come short of the glory of God...this does not preclude that we do sin now nor that we will sin in the future. See 1 John 3:5-9 and a plethora of other passages.

Jesus turned the water into wine; and the Jews called Him a winebibber (for that He ate and drank with tax collectors and sinners); but I don't think I have ever seen a verse where Jesus drank wine, except at the last Supper; where He instituted communion. I don't believe Jesus ever became drunk (for He was without sin). And in John 8:31-36 Jesus said that whosoever commits (even one) sin is a slave of sin...so I would not presume to think that I can get away with one sin of a type and that I will not also commit the same sin two weeks later...but because I isolate the sins as being singular, I do not recognize them as habitual and therefore it takes twenty years of sinning before I realize that I am a sinner in need of the Saviour...I would do well to recognize that I am a sinner if I even commit one sin...and that this means I am not born of God, 1 John 3:8-9.

Not a good source...I have heard that it promoted gnostic ideologies.

Again, the problem with this is that we tend to single out our sins as being singular in order that we might lie to ourselves and tell ourselves that we are born of God even though we are committing habitual sin. We say,"I only did it that one time" and two weeks later, when we commit it again, we say, "I only did it that one time; and therefore it is not habitual..." we tell ourselves that we are born of God when the Bible testifies otherwise. We would do well to stop making excuses and repent.

The Shack is just a show...not intended to be Gospel and you can expand on the habitual sin thing, but I am going to assume, that you do not mean, that one instance of fornication will be unforgivable and you go to hell or that a lifetime of fornication is as likely to be forgiven. The reason I say that is because you referenced repentance and that was my point with habitual sins in that it is hard to see that a person ever repented if it is a life long occurrence.

Last edited:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Shack is just a show...not intended to be Gospel and you can expand on the habitual sin thing, but I am going to assume, that you do not mean, that one instance of fornication will be unforgivable and you go to hell or that a lifetime of fornication is as likely to be forgiven. The reason I say that is because you referenced repentance and that was my point with habitual sins in that it is hard to see that a person ever repented if it is a life long occurrence.
Yes, sins that are never repented of will place a man in hell.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

So you remember every sin you committed from the day you could walk right to the day that you got saved...and didn't forget even ONE??
What a load of rubbish ...

....it cannot be true...I don't believe it at all!!! :rolleyes:

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you remember every sin you committed from the day you could walk right to the day that you got saved...and didn't forget even ONE??
What a load of rubbish ...

....it cannot be true...I don't believe it at all!!! :rolleyes:
God doesn't remember them either...

Do I have to remember what all of them were for me to stop doing them?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
God doesn't remember them either...

Do I have to remember what all of them were for me to stop doing them?

It was YOU who said ..In post #192

Sounds to me as if you are saying if we forget just one sin and have not repented of it, we are hell bound.
That is how it came across in your post.

Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Sounds to me as if you are saying if we forget just one sin and have not repented of it, we are hell bound.

I could never possibly remember every sin from my past, that's for sure! Just asking forgiveness and repenting of those sins we are not even aware of is covered and removed from Him who is "faithful and just to forgive us our sins" We're humans and infallible. He will show us where we err through The Holy Spirit, as He shines the light into our darkness to allow us to see what is not of God. This is how I believe anyhow. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen to that @Nancy .

The power if His wonderful shed Blood is enough...✟
It not what we do, but what God in Jesus has done!! Praise His name!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think people can want to 'parse' sins, acknowledging some but not others, minimizing some while magnifying others, and that this is the flesh trying to assert some feeling of control.

Freefall can be scary.

But if we in trust in Jesus resolve that He alone shall be our Judge, that He alone is in charge of me today, and that He alone is sufficient to guide me in my thoughts and in my life, then whatever it is we end up doing, if indeed sin, we can simply walk away from it without a backward glance, only to affirm our trust in Jesus to yet remove even that from our lives, and to lead us in the ways of righteousness.

I mean seriously . . . does anyone here claim to understand what every sin is that they commit?

All I know is that things I struggle with now weren't even on my radar in times past. So who has such hubris to say, I know all about my sinfulness, and I'm OK now? Who?

Jesus alone can tell us such things, and He said that, having begun a good work in us, He will be bringing ti to maturity - epitelesei - upon maturity or completeness - He will be completing it Until the day of Christ Jesus.

Much love!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

" Yes, sins that are never repented of will place a man in hell."

What I am saying is that once I have repented of something, God has forgotten it and I also do not have to hold that sin in memory in order to continue to have victory over it.

I do believe that the Lord wants total and complete surrender from us...if we do that, and there are sins that we have not repented of for that we did not know that they were sin...the Holy Spirit is most certainly capable of revealing to us the nature of our sin, so that we can bring that forth to Him in surrender also.

So who has such hubris to say, I know all about my sinfulness, and I'm OK now? Who?

I believe that the Lord is able to perfect His children (Hebrews 10:14, Psalms 51:7, 1 John 1:7, Titus 2:14, Romans 6:6, Colossians 2:11, etc.).

So if I am OK now, it is not because I sanctified myself.

It is the Lord who does that work.

Reactions: marks and Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that the Lord is able to perfect His children (Hebrews 10:14, Psalms 51:7, 1 John 1:7, Titus 2:14, Romans 6:6, Colossians 2:11, etc.).

So if I am OK now, it is not because I sanctified myself.

It is the Lord who does that work.
I completely agree with all this.

I simply say that we are not qualified judges of ourselves even to really know, echoing Paul's words that he didn't even judge himself, as Jesus truly knows the heart, and not me. I look to Jesus that I may live faithfully and fruitfully, serving as He gives me ability, which means serving as He wants, not as I think.

If in anything my thoughts are not conformed to the heavenly order, then something else has taken the place, that being the mind of the flesh, and it can be so subtle. But the mind of the flesh results in unrighteousness being brought forth through my body, as that mind of the flesh is enslaved to sin.

Let each of us be truly those who do not sin! We know Jesus will care for us regardless, but let it be me.

But the furthest declaration I can foresee me making would be to say that I am living without the consciousness of sin, again, echoing Paul's words, I judge not myself . . . I know nothing by myself . . . judge nothing before the time.

So I endeavor to live my life knowing nothing, only to trust in Jesus to fill my life with His, and as He tells me to do this, and don't do that, I endeavor to listen, and to obey.

I LOVE God's prohibitions. He alone knows what is truly best and right for me, and what He forbids that I might otherwise choose is His personal care for me, and it's one way I've come to know His love for me.

It's so much love!