6 Rituals In Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rcc existed before the NT
The rcc exercised Christ’s authority before the NT
The rcc wrote the New Testament and does not contradict the NT

There is no Biblical basis for these statements. None. Show me anywhere in the Bible where "the rcc" is mentioned. To claim that the rcc wrote the New Testament is nonsense. Were is the proof that Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, or any of the other NT authors were Catholics?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no Biblical basis for these statements. None. Show me anywhere in the Bible where "the rcc" is mentioned. To claim that the rcc wrote the New Testament is nonsense. Were is the proof that Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Peter, or any of the other NT authors were Catholics?

All Christians are! Only those in the communion of saints and the camp of heretics!

Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)

New and eternal covenant founded by Jesus Christ! Matt 16:18

Universal (Catholic)
World universal

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Kingdom

Dan 2:44 And in the days of these kings shall the God of heaven set up a kingdom, which shall never be destroyed: and the kingdom shall not be left to other people, but it shall break in pieces and consume all these kingdoms, and it shall stand for ever.

the holy Catholic Church

Lk 1:32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David:

33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: (plural Peter and his successors)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Jesus Christ is king!

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You wrote, " a gift from God to help our little minds..." You were the one who used the description of your "little mind"; I'm just repeating what you said about yourself.
I wrote no such thing. You can avoid making such a mistake by clicking on "reply" to what I wrote. "Why not believe the Bible instead of RCC mythology?". Ill-mannered insults like this is automatic with anti-Catholics. You are not even aware you are doing it. You post vile bigotry without thinking. Why can't you be polite like @Jennifer Rogers ???

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
First, theefaith should not use "rcc" to denote all Catholics. It has been repeatedly explained why "rcc" is inaccurate.
Second, the proof the first Christians were Catholic in practice and belief is found in the writings of the earliest Christians, as well as the archeological evidence found in the ancient Roman catacombs dating from the 1st century, you blindly reject both.
Third,
the thread title is 6 Rituals In Christianity, which you have successfully derailed with stupid flaming zingers.

QUESTION: CATHOLIC: Where did the word originate?
ANSWER: It comes from the Greek word Katholikos, which was later Latinized into Catholicus.

QUESTION: What is the meaning of the word?
ANSWER: It means 'Universal', which in itself means, 'of or relating to, or affecting the entire world and ALL peoples therein'. It means, ALL encompassing, comprehensibly broad, general, and containing ALL that is necessary. In summation, it means ALL people in ALL places, having ALL that is necessary, and for ALL time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION: But is it Biblical?

ANSWER: Yes it is. It is in Matthew 28:19-20, "Go, therefore and make disciples of ALL nations...teaching them to observe ALL that I have commanded you; And behold, I am with you ALL days, even unto the consummation of the world." That is a statement of Universality, Kataholis, Katholicos, Catholicus, Catholic.

Romans 1:8

2605 [e] καταγγέλλεται
katangelletai is being proclaimed V-PIM/P-3S
1722 [e] ἐν
en in Prep
3650 [e] ὅλῳ
holō all Adj-DMS
Romans 1:8 Greek Text Analysis
3588 [e] τῷ
the Art-DMS
2889 [e] κόσμῳ.
kosmō world. N-DMS

Acts 26:21-23

Keep in mind that English as a language did not exist for many centuries after the Bible was written. Pontification is easy, research is hard.
Q. I have heard that the word 'Catholic' did not come into use for hundreds of years after Jesus Christ founded His Church.
A. Not true. The first recorded use of the word that I could find, is in St. Ignatius of Antioch's letter to the Smyrneans, paragraph 8, of 106 A.D., "Where the Bishop appears, there let the people be, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." Undoubtedly the word was in use before the time of this writing.

Q. Some say the Catholic Church ended with Constantine (285-337), with the "Edict of Milan" which he issued in 313, which allowed the Church to practice openly. Others say that is when the Church began. Who is right?

A. Neither is right. The Catholic Church is the true Church founded by Jesus Christ and He guaranteed its perpetuality, Matthew 28:20, and its unfaltering truth, 1Timothy 3:15. Now if either of the arguments in the question were true, then don't you think the Church Fathers would have mentioned it somewhere? Instead, the Church Fathers mention the Catholic Church by Name in hundreds of their writings and spanning many centuries.
Documented proof for example:
Ignatius, Letter to the Smyrneans 106AD;
Martyrdom of St. Polycarp 155AD;
Clement of Alexandria, Stromateis 202AD;
Cyprian, Unity of the Catholic Church 251AD;
Cyprian, Letter to Florentius, 254AD

"Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The one designates me, while the other makes me specific. Thus am I attested and set apart... When we are called Catholics it is by this appellation that our people are kept apart from any heretical name."
Saint Pacian of Barcelona, Letter to Sympronian, 375 A.D.

That quote does not apply to Protestants because there were no Protestants in 375 A.D.

+++
Dr. Carroll, author of the Baptist church history entitled “The Trail of Blood,” makes the claim that Constantine called a council in 313 AD, the same year he issued the Edict of Milan, and this council first formed the hierarchy of the Catholic Church. This theory breaks down, though, when one begins to read the history books and discovers that no Church council was held in 313.
But the main problem with all of these theories is that, if they were true, one would expect to be able to find all of the doctrines that are specifically “Catholic” coming about only after the “invention” of the Catholic Church. Whatever year one proposes as the beginning of Catholicism, one should expect to see none of these Catholic doctrines before it. Even a cursory reading of the Church Fathers from the first, second, and third centuries and archeological evidence found in the ancient Roman catacombs dating from the 1st century shows that this is not the case.
Your headless chicken comment "Show me anywhere in the Bible where "the rcc" is mentioned. To claim that the rcc wrote the New Testament is nonsense." collapses in a heap. The concept and the term "Catholic" has been demonstrated as thoroughly biblical. Show me "Baptist Church" in the Bible. Show me "Non-denominational" in the Bible. Show me the name of your church in the Bible, if you even have one.
Now lets get back to the topic of rituals, shall we?

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, theefaith should not use "rcc" to denote all Catholics. It has been repeatedly explained why "rcc" is inaccurate.
Second, the proof the first Christians were Catholic in practice and belief is found in the writings of the earliest Christians, as well as the archeological evidence found in the ancient Roman catacombs dating from the 1st century, you blindly reject both.
Third,
the thread title is 6 Rituals In Christianity, which you have successfully derailed with stupid flaming zingers.

QUESTION: CATHOLIC: Where did the word originate?
ANSWER: It comes from the Greek word Katholikos, which was later Latinized into Catholicus.

QUESTION: What is the meaning of the word?
ANSWER: It means 'Universal', which in itself means, 'of or relating to, or affecting the entire world and ALL peoples therein'. It means, ALL encompassing, comprehensibly broad, general, and containing ALL that is necessary. In summation, it means ALL people in ALL places, having ALL that is necessary, and for ALL time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QUESTION: But is it Biblical?

ANSWER: Yes it is. It is in Matthew 28:19-20, "Go, therefore and make disciples of ALL nations...teaching them to observe ALL that I have commanded you; And behold, I am with you ALL days, even unto the consummation of the world." That is a statement of Universality, Kataholis, Katholicos, Catholicus, Catholic.

Romans 1:8

<snip>

Pontification is easy, research is hard. (your words!)

Q. I have heard that the word 'Catholic' did not come into use for hundreds of years after Jesus Christ founded His Church.
A. Not true. The first recorded use of the word that I could find, is in St. Ignatius of Antioch's letter to the Smyrneans, paragraph 8, of 106 A.D., "Where the Bishop appears, there let the people be, just as where Jesus Christ is, there is the Catholic Church." Undoubtedly the word was in use before the time of this writing.

Q. Some say the Catholic Church ended with Constantine (285-337), with the "Edict of Milan" which he issued in 313, which allowed the Church to practice openly. Others say that is when the Church began. Who is right?

A. Neither is right. The Catholic Church is the true Church founded by Jesus Christ and He guaranteed its perpetuality, Matthew 28:20, and its unfaltering truth, 1Timothy 3:15. Now if either of the arguments in the question were true, then don't you think the Church Fathers would have mentioned it somewhere? Instead, the Church Fathers mention the Catholic Church by Name in hundreds of their writings and spanning many centuries.
Documented proof for example:
Ignatius, Letter to the Smyrneans 106AD;
Martyrdom of St. Polycarp 155AD;
Clement of Alexandria, Stromateis 202AD;
Cyprian, Unity of the Catholic Church 251AD;
Cyprian, Letter to Florentius, 254AD

"Christian is my name, and Catholic my surname. The one designates me, while the other makes me specific. Thus am I attested and set apart... When we are called Catholics it is by this appellation that our people are kept apart from any heretical name."
Saint Pacian of Barcelona, Letter to Sympronian, 375 A.D.

That quote does not apply to Protestants because there were no Protestants in 375 A.D.

+++
Dr. Carroll, author of the Baptist church history entitled “The Trail of Blood,” makes the claim that Constantine called a council in 313 AD, the same year he issued the Edict of Milan, and this council first formed the hierarchy of the Catholic Church. This theory breaks down, though, when one begins to read the history books and discovers that no Church council was held in 313.
But the main problem with all of these theories is that, if they were true, one would expect to be able to find all of the doctrines that are specifically “Catholic” coming about only after the “invention” of the Catholic Church. Whatever year one proposes as the beginning of Catholicism, one should expect to see none of these Catholic doctrines before it. Even a cursory reading of the Church Fathers from the first, second, and third centuries and archeological evidence found in the ancient Roman catacombs dating from the 1st century shows that this is not the case.

Now lets get back to the topic of rituals, shall we?

I'm not going to respond to your lengthy post except for this...

You wrote "the proof the first Christians were Catholic in practice and belief is found in the writings of the earliest Christians, as well as the archeological evidence found in the ancient Roman catacombs dating from the 1st century, you blindly reject both." And yet you give no "proof" except your statement. Why should I believe you without evidence? The church had its beginnings in the eastern Mediterranean region, not Rome. That is what Scripture says, so that's what I believe. If I had to choose an origin, I would say that the Eastern Orthodox are the first denomination, not the RCC.

You wrote that "the thread title is 6 Rituals In Christianity, which you have successfully derailed with your "stupid flaming zingers" ". (Very mature phraseology BTW. Is that what how RCC teaches you to behave?)

Referring to the word "catholic", you wrote that it means 'Universal', which in itself means, 'of or relating to, or affecting the entire world and ALL peoples therein'. It means, ALL encompassing, comprehensibly broad, general, and containing ALL that is necessary. In summation, it means ALL people in ALL places, having ALL that is necessary, and for ALL time." It's really a travesty that the RCC doesn't adhere to this meaning. It claims that it alone is the one true church and excludes (even mocks) other Christians. So it's not a "catholic" church.

Finally, you wrote that the RCC is the church of the Bible, citing Matthew 28:19-20, "Go, therefore and make disciples of ALL nations...teaching them to observe ALL that I have commanded you; And behold, I am with you ALL days, even unto the consummation of the world." Claiming that is a statement of Universality, Kataholis, Katholicos, Catholicus, Catholic" is absurd. "Catholic", referring to the RCC, doesn't exist in the Bible! Your statement is nothing but false pride, based on exclusivity. Saying that "The Catholic Church is the true Church founded by Jesus Christ and He guaranteed its perpetuality, Matthew 28:20, and its unfaltering truth" is an unscriptural falsity.

Claiming that "there were no Protestants in 375 A.D" is absurd. Protestantism is the true Christianity. The church -- His body -- began in NT times. Protestantism returned to the truth of the Bible after the Catholic denomination so distorted it that it became a travesty.

And that includes all its bizarre, unBiblical rituals

BTW, why aren't you discussing the rituals? Pot calling the kettle black? (as my grandmother used to say)

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not going to respond to your lengthy post except for this...

You wrote "the proof the first Christians were Catholic in practice and belief is found in the writings of the earliest Christians, as well as the archeological evidence found in the ancient Roman catacombs dating from the 1st century, you blindly reject both." And yet you give no "proof" except your statement. Why should I believe you without evidence? The church had its beginnings in the eastern Mediterranean region, not Rome. That is what Scripture says, so that's what I believe. If I had to choose an origin, I would say that the Eastern Orthodox are the first denomination, not the RCC.
I gave plenty of proof, you just don't like it.

You wrote that "the thread title is 6 Rituals In Christianity, which you have successfully derailed with your "stupid flaming zingers" ". (Very mature phraseology BTW. Is that what how RCC teaches you to behave?)
For the 101st time, "RCC" is only 1 rite out of 23. This proves you are too proud to be corrected. I attacked your STATEMENT, not you as a person. Learn the difference, if that were possible.

Referring to the word "catholic", you wrote that it means 'Universal', which in itself means, 'of or relating to, or affecting the entire world and ALL peoples therein'. It means, ALL encompassing, comprehensibly broad, general, and containing ALL that is necessary. In summation, it means ALL people in ALL places, having ALL that is necessary, and for ALL time." It's really a travesty that the RCC doesn't adhere to this meaning. It claims that it alone is the one true church and excludes (even mocks) other Christians. So it's not a "catholic" church.
That statement is a lie. I can easily prove it with another 5 mile long post that you cannot comprehend.
I did not say you are a liar. Get it? To illustrate:
"You are an idiot" attacks the person.
"That statement is idiotic" attacks the statement. Any blind person should see the difference.
Finally, you wrote that the RCC is the church of the Bible, citing Matthew 28:19-20, "Go, therefore and make disciples of ALL nations...teaching them to observe ALL that I have commanded you; And behold, I am with you ALL days, even unto the consummation of the world." Claiming that is a statement of Universality, Kataholis, Katholicos, Catholicus, Catholic" is absurd. "Catholic", referring to the RCC, doesn't exist in the Bible! Your statement is nothing but false pride, based on exclusivity. Saying that "The Catholic Church is the true Church founded by Jesus Christ and He guaranteed its perpetuality, Matthew 28:20, and its unfaltering truth" is an unscriptural falsity.
But you will refuse to tell me who taught you that, just like you will refuse to name one Protestant in the first 1000 years of Christianity who taught "sola scriptura" or "sola fide". These terms are totally foreign in the early church, and you cannot prove otherwise with primary or secondary sources.
"Catholic", referring to the RCC, doesn't exist in the Bible!
I agree. "RCC" is incorrect, as I explained in detail.
Claiming that "there were no Protestants in 375 A.D" is absurd.
It's factual, and you cannot name one Protestant in 375 A.D.
Protestantism is the true Christianity. The church -- His body -- began in NT times. Protestantism returned to the truth of the Bible after the Catholic denomination so distorted it that it became a travesty.
Asserted only in the last 500 years, and never proven.
Why Only Catholicism Can Make Protestantism Work: Louis Bouyer on the Reformation
And that includes all its bizarre, unBiblical rituals
Another headless chicken comment. No proof, no "ritual" mentioned by name. When babies first taste Pablum, they spit it out.
BTW, why aren't you discussing the rituals? Pot calling the kettle black? (as my grandmother used to say)
I am merely exposing your lies, and I am not letting you get away with it. Fortunately for you, the moderators bend the rules in favor of anti-Catholics, which is why they ignore our reports. You can even post insane anti-Catholic thread titles that make a mockery of the rules and get away with it.
Why can't you be polite like @Jennifer Rogers?

Last edited:

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I gave plenty of proof, you just don't like it.

For the 101st time, "RCC" is only 1 rite out of 23. This proves you are too proud to be corrected. I attacked your STATEMENT, not you as a person. Learn the difference, if that were possible.

That statement is a lie. I can easily prove it with another 5 mile long post that you cannot comprehend.
I did not say you are a liar. Get it? To illustrate:
"You are an idiot" attacks the person.
"That statement is idiotic" attacks the statement. Any blind person should see the difference.
But you will refuse to tell me who taught you that, just like you will refuse to name one Protestant in the first 1000 years of Christianity who taught "sola scriptura" or "sola fide". These terms are totally foreign in the early church, and you cannot prove otherwise with primary or secondary sources.
I agree. "RCC" is incorrect, as I explained in detail.
It's factual, and you cannot name one Protestant in 375 A.D. Asserted only in the last 500 years, and never proven.
Why Only Catholicism Can Make Protestantism Work: Louis Bouyer on the Reformation
Another headless chicken comment. No proof, no "ritual" mentioned by name. When babies first taste Pablum, they spit it out.

I am merely exposing your lies, and I am not letting you get away with it. Fortunately for you, the moderators bend the rules in favor of anti-Catholics, which is why they ignore our reports. You can even post insane anti-Catholic thread titles that make a mockery of the rules and get away with it.
Why can't you be polite like @Jennifer Rogers?
[/QUOTE]

"I gave plenty of proof, you just don't like it." Correct! Your "proof" is in your head only; it's not objective proof.

"RCC" is only 1 rite out of 23." Wrong! "RCC" is an acronym meaning the Roman Catholic Church.

I'm ignoring the rest of your impolite, error-filled post.

I'm done trying to get you to understand Christian truth. Your insults clearly show who you are spiritually. May God have mercy on your disturbed soul!

Aunty Jane

Sep 16, 2021
Sydney
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No, theefaith is a schizmatic, and every Catholic in here has him on ignore.
upload_2022-4-22_9-33-23.jpeg

Is this a quote from Pope Francis? If it is then all Catholics should have him on “ignore”.....the Vatican is sitting on millions of dollars worth of material treasures, and yet it can allow it’s fellow Catholics to go hungry whilst this man, who claims to represent Christ on earth, sits in a gold inlaid palace with servants, not knowing what hunger feels like.

That makes him the biggest of all hypocrites. Whatever happened to Jesus’ admonition to sell your assets to give to the poor? The church should not be hoarding wealth when it can save lives. Christ would never approve of that.

Reactions: JohnPaul

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you mean marriage as a "last rite"? :D Given the fact that about half the marriages in the West get nullified, you may have a point. Anyway. that is "submission" not "submition" (misspelled in the OP) and it sure looks like a Catholic list of rites and rituals. Submission is not a rite or a ritual.

I didn’t realize it was misspelling (which I do all the time) but I honestly thought “submition” was a real rite I didn’t know about.

marriage…you caught that, it was my attempt at a joke :Dor maybe it was partly sarcasm too.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

"I gave plenty of proof, you just don't like it." Correct! Your "proof" is in your head only; it's not objective proof.[/quote] I gave objective primary source documentation. You document nothing. You should look up what primary and secondary documentation means so you candiscuss in a mature manner.
"RCC" is only 1 rite out of 23." Wrong! "RCC" is an acronym meaning the Roman Catholic Church.
I know that, and it has been explained ad nauseum why the acronym is inaccurate as a blanket term for all Catholics. I even explained what a rite is, but you are too proud to be corrected.
I'm ignoring the rest of your impolite, error-filled post.
Keep lying and I'll keep exposing your lies. You started with stupid insults back in post #54. "Catholic mythology" is a statement born out of ignorance and prejudice.
I'm done trying to get you to understand Christian truth. Your insults clearly show who you are spiritually. May God have mercy on your disturbed soul!
Catholic bashing is NOT Christian truth, it's a spiritual sickness. So is Protestant bashing. You are under the mistaken impression that we Catholics have no defense against stupid insulting attacks that are based on prejudice and ignorance. Don't go away yet, I'm just warming up.

Ask someone today where Western Civilization originated, and he or she might say Greece or Rome. But what is the ultimate source of Western Civilization? Bestselling author and professor Thomas E. Woods, Jr. (not a Catholic) provides the long neglected answer: the Catholic Church. In the new paperback edition of his critically-acclaimed book, How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization, Woods goes far beyond the familiar tale of monks copying manuscripts and preserving the wisdom of classical antiquity. Gifts such as modern science, free-market economics, art, music, and the idea of human rights come from the Catholic Church, explains Woods. In How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization, you’ll learn:
Why modern science was born in the Catholic Church.
  • How Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market economics five hundred years before Adam Smith
  • How the Catholic Church invented the university
  • Why what you know about the Galileo affair is wrong
  • How Western law grew out of Church canon law
How the Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life

No institution has done more to shape Western civilization than the two-thousand-year-old Catholic Church—and in ways that many of us have forgotten or never known. How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization is essential reading for recovering this lost truth.
Ask someone today where Western Civilization originated, and he or she might say Greece or Rome. But what is the ultimate source of Western Civilization? Bestselling author and professor Thomas E. Woods, Jr. provides the long neglected answer: the Catholic Church. In the new paperback edition of his critically-acclaimed book, How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization, Woods goes far beyond the familiar tale of monks copying manuscripts and preserving the wisdom of classical antiquity. Gifts such as modern science, free-market economics, art, music, and the idea of human rights come from the Catholic Church, explains Woods. In How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization, you’ll learn:

• Why modern science was born in the Catholic Church
  • How Catholic priests developed the idea of free-market economics five hundred years before Adam Smith
  • How the Catholic Church invented the university
  • Why what you know about the Galileo affair is wrong
  • How Western law grew out of Church canon law
  • How the Church humanized the West by insisting on the sacredness of all human life

No institution has done more to shape Western civilization than the two-thousand-year-old Catholic Church—and in ways that many of us have forgotten or never known. How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilization is essential reading for recovering this lost truth.

610qW2LcaxL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Catholic-Chu...3280?msclkid=589bf3dbc24011ec818056ff360a64cd

Bearing False Witness: Debunking Centuries of Anti-Catholic History
As we all know and as many of our well established textbooks have argued for decades, the Inquisition was one of the most frightening and bloody chapters in Western history, Pope Pius XII was anti-Semitic and rightfully called “Hitler’s Pope,” the Dark Ages were a stunting of the progress of knowledge to be redeemed only by the secular spirit of the Enlightenment, and the religious Crusades were an early example of the rapacious Western thirst for riches and power. But what if these long held beliefs were all wrong?

In this stunning, powerful, and ultimately persuasive book, Rodney Stark, (not a Catholic) one of the most highly regarded sociologists of religion and bestselling author of The Rise of Christianity (HarperSanFrancisco 1997) argues that some of our most firmly held ideas about history, ideas that paint the Catholic Church in the least positive light are, in fact, fiction. Why have we held these wrongheaded ideas so strongly and for so long? And if our beliefs are wrong, what, in fact, is the truth?
In each chapter, Stark takes on a well-established anti-Catholic myth, gives a fascinating history of how each myth became the conventional wisdom, and presents a startling picture of the real truth. For example,

• Instead of the Spanish Inquisition being an anomaly of torture and murder of innocent people persecuted for “imaginary” crimes such as witchcraft and blasphemy, Stark argues that not only did the Spanish Inquisition spill very little blood, but it was a major force in support of moderation and justice.
  • Instead of Pope Pius XII being apathetic or even helpful to the Nazi movement, such as to merit the title, “Hitler’s Pope,” Stark shows that the campaign to link Pope Pius XII to Hitler was initiated by the Soviet Union, presumably in hopes of neutralizing the Vatican in post-World War II affairs. Pope Pius XII was widely praised for his vigorous and devoted efforts to saving Jewish lives during the war.
  • Instead of the Dark Ages being understood as a millennium of ignorance and backwardness inspired by the Catholic Church’s power, Stark argues that the whole notion of the “Dark Ages” was an act of pride perpetuated by anti-religious intellectuals who were determined to claim that theirs was the era of “Enlightenment.”
In the end, readers will not only have a more accurate history of the Catholic Church, they will come to understand why it became unfairly maligned for so long. Bearing False Witness is a compelling and sobering account of how egotism and ideology often work together to give us a false truth.

I didn't start your derailing insult, "Catholic mythology", so don't expect silence from me when you post anti-Catholic lies, bigotry and falsehoods.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
“Rituals” can refer to the liturgical rites of the Church, which includes the Sacraments (Baptism, Confirmation, Eucharist, Penance or Reconciliation, Anointing of the Sick, Holy Orders, and Matrimony). Funeral rites and the rite of Christian initiation for adults are also included in this category. The text of these rites, along with an explanation of the rites, are compiled in the two-volume The Rites of the Catholic Church [as revised by the Second Vatican Ecumenical Council]. The Catechism of the Catholic Church, which is a compilation of the Church’s teachings, is an excellent source for information on these rites. Our Faith Fact Signs of the Christ: Sacraments of the Church provides a general explanation of the sacraments.

The word “ritual” can also be used to refer to the diverse liturgical traditions in which the one catholic and apostolic faith has come to be expressed in various cultures and lands. For example, in the West, the Roman and Ambrosian (Latin) rites; in the East, the Byzantine, Coptic (Alexandrian), Syriac, Armenian, Maronite, and Chaldean rites. It would take some work to track down all the information related to this subject. If this is the sense in which you mean “ritual,” please let us know. We can point to resources that would help you find the information you seek.

Sometimes people use the word “ritual” when describing Church customs or disciplines (e.g., abstaining from meat on Fridays of Lent). Again, this is a broad topic, and one that has grown and changed through the course of the Church’s history. Many resources discuss the customs and disciplines of the Church, and we would be happy to direct you to them.

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you for your comment. I will remember it.
Baptism is a public declaration and testimony of one’s faith.

The sprinkling nonsense is a pagan practice which has nothing to do do with Christianity. They not only sprinkle babies, but personal possessions like cars, for good luck.

Reactions: Jim B

Stan B

Jul 21, 2019
Toronto
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Thank you for your comment. I will remember it.
The pagan idea of drinking blood is forbidden by Levitical law, so God would hardly approve drinking of blood in remembrance of His Son.

Neither would He approve of witchcraft to manufacture blood, even if it is fake.

Religions like this do not celebrate the the empty cross as a remembrance of the resurrection. Their god is still nailed to the crosses they display.

Reactions: Jim B

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism is a public declaration and testimony of one’s faith.

The sprinkling nonsense is a pagan practice which has nothing to do do with Christianity. They not only sprinkle babies, but personal possessions like cars, for good luck.

Is baptism necessary for salvation?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The pagan idea of drinking blood is forbidden by Levitical law, so God would hardly approve drinking of blood in remembrance of His Son.

Neither would He approve of witchcraft to manufacture blood, even if it is fake.

Religions like this do not celebrate the the empty cross as a remembrance of the resurrection. Their god is still nailed to the crosses they display.

Jesus depicted still on the cross?

Gal 3:1
O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?

1 Corinthians 2:2
For I determined not to know any thing among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified.

1 cor 11:26 For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

True Christians believe and teach the risen Lord!

We live in the power of the resurrection but conform to His passion and death till He returns in glory, we share in His suffering.

Matthew 16:24
Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

how do you explain the explicit commands of Jesus and scripture to consume holy communion?

example Jn 6:51-56

51 I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

52 The Jews therefore strove among themselves, saying, How can this man give us his flesh to eat?

53 Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.

54 Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.

55 For my flesh is meat indeed, and my blood is drink indeed.

56 He that eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, dwelleth in me, and I in him.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

not witchcraft but the holy church founded by Christ on Peter and the apostles offering the eternal sacrifice of Christ our high priest!

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is baptism necessary for salvation?

No. Have a look at what Jesus said to the thief on the cross. Luke 23:39-43, "One of the criminals who was hanging there railed at him, saying, “Aren’t you the Christ? Save yourself and us!” But the other rebuked him, saying, “Don’t you fear God, since you are under the same sentence of condemnation? And we rightly so, for we are getting what we deserve for what we did, but this man has done nothing wrong.” Then he said, “Jesus, remember me when you come in your kingdom.” And Jesus said to him, “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise.”

Reactions: Stan B