7 reasons why Peter was not perfect after Pentecost and was guilty of sin.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"7 reasons why Peter was not perfect after Pentecost and was guilty of sin."

How can Peter be guilty of sin? Do you not think Peter was justified?

Much love!
read Galatians 2 where Paul explains it and let me know where you agree or disagree with Paul confronting Peter about his hypocrisy. Thanks !

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First of all, the kjv tells us not that he "stood condemned", but rather that he was "to be blamed."

This latter rendering would be more accurate in light of John 5:24 (kjv). And the kjv of John 5:24 is more accurate than the way that many modern versions translate it because the way that they translate it, it is in contradiction to Romans 14:10-12, 1 Corinthians 3:11-15, and 2 Corinthians 5:10. Whereas in the kjv, there is no contradiction.

Secondly, The idea that Peter was being a hypocrite is merely Paul's judgment. As the apostle to the Gentiles, Paul was concerned with the gospel to the Gentiles and the effect that the gospel itself would have on the Gentiles.

Peter's behaviour would have a negative aspect on that gospel; and therefore he was indeed "to be blamed".

However, Peter was himself being obedient to principles that Paul very well had set forth in 1 Corinthians 8 and in Romans 14 and Romans 15:1-3. In that he catered to the consciences of the Jewish people who had just entered into the situation. If you read these passages carefully, I believe that you will see that Peter was being obedient to the principles found therein.

Therefore, I believe that he was caught between a rock and a hard place; and because he himself was the preacher of the gospel to the circumcision, I believe that he was not even thinking of the gospel to the Gentiles. If he had been, he most certainly would have attempted to take into account the consciences of the Gentiles also who were present. How that would have looked is beyond me. His actions and behaviour were perfectly in conjunction with the passages in question (1 Corinthians 8, Romans 14, Romans 15:1-3).

Therefore I believe that Peter was going according to his conscience and was not therefore caught in any kind of willful sin.

Did his behaviour have repercussions? You betcha; and that is why it can be said that he "was to be blamed."

But did Peter sin; and was it actual hypocrisy that he was exhibiting? I don't think so.

Hi JBF,

upload_2020-12-9_9-0-6.png

Yes, this is not Krino or Katakrino, for judgment/condemnation, instead, kategnosmenos, knowledge against yourself.

Perhaps in today's vernacular, he should have known better.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
read Galatians 2 where Paul explains it and let me know where you agree or disagree with Paul confronting Peter about his hypocrisy. Thanks !
I've read it, actually!

;)

And I'm in the process of answering . . .

Much love!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I will call this Paul's sevenfold rebuke of Peters hypocrisy and beak it down with scripture not my opinion.

Paul's words to Peter were as follows:

1) I opposed him to his face, because he stood condemned.
2)he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group.
3) The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy,
4) so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
5)they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel
6)You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew
7)you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs

You can read the story in Galatians 2.

And please don't blame me for this blame God, Paul and Peter since God included in His word and Paul confronted Peter.

BTW- if Peter an Apostle could not reach a sinless state post indwelling of the Holy Spirit what on earth makes you think you are above Peter in reaching sinlessness ?

hope this helps !!!
Paul rebuked him, so? It was a correction ... iron sharpens iron. How many times have all of us erred in regards to righteousness, holiness? It just means that Peter and the rest of us make mistakes. They are not sins unto death. Spiritually our sins past, present and future have been forgiven.
Peter had a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth. He erred often. Christ showed him mercy even though he would deny that he knew Jesus three times. Just because Peter and the rest of them were ordained and baptized by the Holy Spirit doesn't mean they all of sudden were perfect super-spiritual men without fault, like a programed robot with no glitches. He was still learning. God didn't show them everything they needed to know in a moments time. As we grow and learn through experiences, they did too. God had to bring them through life to grow them, to teach them.
I see Peter's slower transition into "Grace through Faith and not by works" from the Jewish laws and traditions as God's purpose - must have been, God allowed it. Jews needed Peter not to be as strict as Paul, ripping off the band-aid quickly or so to speak and let it happen gradually, let the Jews slowly purge their ways. It wasn't easy for them. Then at the right time, God sent Paul in to correct them.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You clearly deny scripture but that is to be expected when one espouses the heresy of sinless perfection.
That's not what he did so far as I can see.

Clearly deny Scripture? Where exactly? Shouldn't you be a little more precise when leveling these charges against others? Making such accusations?

Much love?

Reactions: justbyfaith

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it Peter's turn?? :D

I had a pow wow with Paul a little ways back. It didn't go over too well. But that's how you get to the root of the problem.
Pulling teeth never feels good. I know, I don't have any left. But I don't get toothaches no more either.

You have to go back to the Gospels... follow Peter. Just follow him, watch.
Then move on to Paul.
Is Paul justified in his accusations?
I find them both questionable as to being "perfect" .

If Peter supposed to be out spreading the Gospel, why is he spending so much time in Jerusalem in the hot seat?
I thought Jesus said if you want to be a leader, you need to be a servant instead.
And not to take the best seats in the house.
Peter, James and Joses... because Joses is John, James's brother.
These 3 always together.. pillars.. even..

Get in the ring and go thrash it out. If you don't it will drive you crazy for years.
Something about 3 frogs... idk.. just thinking
Good Luck
Hugs
One time in our home fellowship, we were about to go through 1 & 2 Peter. Before beginning, we went through the Bible and read every instance where Peter was mentioned, or included, whatever. Every last word about Peter in the Bible. I have to say . . . I walked away from that little exersize with a different impression of Peter from when we started. I'm not going to be the one to bag on him!! I want to be like him!!!

Much love!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul rebuked him, so? It was a correction ... iron sharpens iron. How many times have all of us erred in regards to righteousness, holiness? It just means that Peter and the rest of us make mistakes. They are not sins unto death. Spiritually our sins past, present and future have been forgiven.
Peter had a habit of sticking his foot in his mouth. He erred often. Christ showed him mercy even though he would deny that he knew Jesus three times. Just because Peter and the rest of them were ordained and baptized by the Holy Spirit doesn't mean they all of sudden were perfect super-spiritual men without fault, like a programed robot with no glitches. He was still learning. God didn't show them everything they needed to know in a moments time. As we grow and learn through experiences, they did too. God had to bring them through life to grow them, to teach them.
I see Peter's slower transition into "Grace through Faith and not by works" from the Jewish laws and traditions as God's purpose - must have been, God allowed it. Jews needed Peter not to be as strict as Paul, ripping off the band-aid quickly or so to speak and let it happen gradually, let the Jews slowly purge their ways. It wasn't easy for them. Then at the right time, God sent Paul in to correct them.
Agreed and my point is even the Apostle Peter post Pentecost ( decade later ) needed correction for sin. This goes against the proponents of sinless perfectionism and they MUST make the plain reading of the text in Galatians 2 say something else to defend their heretical position regarding reaching the state of sinless perfection on this side of the Resurrection.

hope this helps !!!

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
One time in our home fellowship, we were about to go through 1 & 2 Peter. Before beginning, we went through the Bible and read every instance where Peter was mentioned, or included, whatever. Every last word about Peter in the Bible. I have to say . . . I walked away from that little exersize with a different impression of Peter from when we started. I'm not going to be the one to bag on him!! I want to be like him!!!

Much love!
Agreed and the bible does not paint a good picture of the saints in both testaments but reveals their human weaknesses. Point being we all need Gods grace and mercy for none of us are perfect/ sinless although we strive to be like Him in obedience and yielding our will to His will.

Reactions: Ziggy

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW I'm not going to re answer the same questions over again. Read my previous answers as they have already been addressed from every possible angle already.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe it was anything, but let's stick to the text . . .
Did Paul sin ?

Did Paul contradict Jesus and his own teaching (which is identical with Jesus teaching) on rebuking a brother in sin ?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you can not point to any Scripture that says hypocracy of men against men is a Sin?

What is the Penalty/ Judgement for a man committed hypocrisy ?
Who isn't hypocritical in some way?

Is everyone here completely consistent throughout their being??

And what sin is not forgiven in Christ?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agreed and my point is even the Apostle Peter post Pentecost ( decade later ) needed correction for sin. This goes against the proponents of sinless perfectionism and they MUST make the plain reading of the text in Galatians 2 say something else to defend their heretical position regarding reaching the state of sinless perfection on this side of the Resurrection.

hope this helps !!!
Do you think it is impossible to spend 5 minutes without sin?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The biblical command of 2 or 3 witnesses.

1 Corinthians 5
It is actually reported that there is immorality among you, and immorality of such a kind as does not exist even among the Gentiles, that someone has his father’s wife. 2 You have become arrogant and have not mourned instead, so that the one who had done this deed would be removed from your midst.

3 For I, on my part, though absent in body but present in spirit, have already judged him who has so committed this, as though I were present. 4 In the name of our Lord Jesus, when you are assembled, and I with you in spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus, 5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

6 Your boasting is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough? 7 Clean out the old leaven so that you may be a new lump, just as you are in fact unleavened. For Christ our Passover also has been sacrificed. 8 Therefore let us celebrate the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

9 I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; 10 I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. 11 But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. 12 For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? 13 But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.

Paul's teaching above lines up with Jesus teaching on the subject of Judging sin in a believer and removing them from fellowship if they do not repent by the witness/testimony principle of 2 or 3 witnesses let every fact be confirmed. God is in your midst(with you) in this disciplinary action because of the testimony of the witnesses. The binding and loosing below has to do with sin and discipline. People so often abuse this passage where 2 or 3 are gathered in Jesus name and He is in their midst. The context in sin and church discipline.

Matthew 18:15-20
If your brother sins, go and show him his fault in private; if he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16 But if he does not listen to you, take one or two more with you, so that by the mouth of two or three witnesses every fact may be confirmed. 17 If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church; and if he refuses to listen even to the church, let him be to you as a Gentile and a tax collector. 18 Truly I say to you, whatever you bind on earth shall have been bound in heaven; and whatever you loose on earth shall have been loosed in heaven.

19 “Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20 For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.”

Deuteronomy 19:15
A lone witness is not sufficient to establish any wrongdoing or sin against a man, regardless of what offense he may have committed. A matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.

2 Corinthians 13:1
This is the third time I am coming to you. EVERY FACT IS TO BE CONFIRMED BY THE TESTIMONY OF TWO OR THREE WITNESSES.

hope this helps !!!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly, all men are sinners, including Peter. Paul's rebuke of Peter was certainly not one-upmanship. It was critical that Paul establish the equality between Jews and Gentiles, in the face of legitimate cultural differences, in order to justify his own ministry to the Gentiles. Peter later fully embraced Paul's teachings in one of his letters.

The interesting thing is I was just reading the book of Galatians, and came across a verse I've never fully understood. Paul seemed to be arguing that Peter's withdrawal from Gentile believers, when James arrived, may have appeared to indicate Christ himself didn't want to mingle with sinners? And so, Paul wrote:

Gal 2.17 “But if, in seeking to be justified in Christ, we Jews find ourselves also among the sinners, doesn’t that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! 18 If I rebuild what I destroyed, then I really would be a lawbreaker.

I'm wondering here if Paul is saying, "Christ is not promoting sin by encouraging Jewish believers to mingle with Gentile believers?" If so, what is the thing Paul is saying Peter was trying to "rebuild"--the Law of Moses, and the wall of separation between Jews and Gentiles?"

How then would that really make them "sinners?" Is it because restoring the Law of Moses reestablishes the sinfulness of all men, thus confirming that they really are sinners?

If anybody can explain this to me, I would appreciate it? For some reason it's hung me up for years.
My understanding is something like this . . .

That as we seek to be justified by faith of Christ, and not by works of Law, that should we then be found to be sinners, was that Jesus' doing? No. If we start all that again, that's on us.

I'd suggest a more literal translation. I like this one myself . . .

upload_2020-12-9_9-29-0.png
scripture4all.org

I present myself as a transgressor if I'm found to be a sinner, because it was me who rebuilt my old home. Christ didn't do that.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
To reject Christ in order to return to the Law is to turn back to a system designed to suppress--not enable--sin. If men, then, turned away from Christ, not only would they be rejecting Christ's redemption of sin, but they would also be rejecting the Law's suppression of sin.
By my reading, the Law both increases sin, and makes it worse. The law suppresses sin in the culture, but personally, the Law increases sin.

Much love!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who isn't hypocritical in some way?

Is everyone here completely consistent throughout their being??

And what sin is not forgiven in Christ?

Much love!

I'm not challenging hypocrisy.
I'm challenging The OP declaring Peter's behavoir a sin.

Reactions: marks