9-10-2022 Miami Seventh Day BAPTIST Pastor Gerry “Sovereignty Of GOD” I Chronicles 29;10-13

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Miz KJV Only

Oct 20, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
9-10-2022 Miami Seventh Day BAPTIST Pastor Gerry “Sovereignty Of GOD” I Chronicles 29;10-13
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brothers and Sisters we are living in some very trying days. We are living in some very challenging days. In the international scene the Queen of England has died and there is the war with Ukraine and Russia. There are tensions between countries like China, North Korea and Taiwan. Here in our American country we are not without tensions. The political divide is intensifying as we probe the January 6th fiasco and as we come into the midterm elections. This is not the only problem we have. People are being killed, massacred in mass shootings by young men that are deranged, demon possessed. They use high powered rifles to kill our children, teachers and ordinary Americans that are just going about their business. Some of our cherished Christian values are coming under attack. Even Faith is coming under attack.

Today let us reflect on some Good News. The Good News is that there is someone who can bring us Peace. This someone can give us stability and He is who we can trust in times like this. This message today is titled the Sovereignty of God. Yes people, our Sovereign is not dead. Our Sovereign is alive and God is very, very much alive. So this morning we have an anchor that keeps us whole, steadfast and secure while the billows roar. This anchor is the Sovereignty of God. Fastened to this Rock that cannot move, we are founded firm and deep on unshakable reality. This anchor remains the Sovereignty of God. In our text and in all the scriptures in the Bible, we see the Sovereignty of God. We see it proclaimed all the way from Genesis to Revelation.

What does the Sovereignty of God mean? Scripture teaches us that God is Supreme King, Supreme Ruler, Supreme Lord. God is above, beyond and greater than anyone else. There is nobody above Him and nobody beside Him. There is only this one Sovereign of the universe, The Almighty God. Sometimes we need to be reminded that our God is greater than mayors, greater than governors, greater than presidents, greater than queens and kings. Our Sovereign God is greater than parliament, greater than dictators, greater than all the rulers of the powers of the earth. Our God is greater than the rulers of darkness. In our God we have someone who is the Greatest of ALL!

In our text, David said “Thine, O LORD is the greatness, and the power, and the glory, and the victory, and the majesty: for all that is in the heaven and in the earth is thine; thine is the kingdom, O LORD, and thou art exalted as head above all. Both riches and honour come of thee, and thou reignest over all; and in thine hand is power and might; and in thine hand it is to make great, and to give strength unto all. Now therefore, our God, we thank thee, and praise thy glorious name”. We need to give God praise because He is worthy of it.

The Sovereignty of God is found in the various names for God that we find in the Bible. When God called Moses out of the burning bush, He said His name was I Am that I Am. God said that Moses should say the Great I Am had sent him to free the people of Israel from slavery in Egypt. God is the Great I Am. God is the one without beginning and without end. He, God is the only self-sufficient, non-dependent being in the universe. That is our God! God is a I Am and not a maybe or a shall be. He is a forever present tense. God is the I Am that I Am and is always present and He is this being from eternity to eternity. God says He has another name in Hebrew, Yahweh. This Yahweh name means I Am that I Am and we have translated it into Jehovah. His sovereignty is also seen in another name in scripture, Jehovah Elyon. This means Lord God Most High. This name was used by Abraham in Genesis 14;22. Elyon means Supreme God.

Another name for our God which shows His sovereignty is the name of El Shaddai. This means The Almighty God. This is a name that God Himself used with Abraham in Genesis 17;1. This is when Abraham was 99 years old with no child. God assures Abraham that He is El Shaddai, the Almighty God and He will bring to pass every promise the He has made to anyone of his children. The Sovereignty of God is also seen in the other name of Jehovah Jirah which is in Genesis 22;14. It means The Lord Our Provider. Then the name Jehovah Nissi, the Lord Our Conqueror, Our Banner is in Exodus 17;15.

Lets look more closely at David’s moving outburst in I Chronicles 29 on the Sovereignty of God. King David was getting old and had called together the leaders of the children of Israel for a final declaration and act of worship. David extols the Sovereignty of God and shortly after this David dies. David begins with admiration for God because he knows in whose presence he has come. David says “Blessed be the LORD God of Israel”. Whenever the word ‘LORD” is capitalized it is translated from “Yahweh”. This word is too holy for Jews to pronounce so they will see “Yahweh” but will say “Elohim”. David knows he is in the presence of the Great I Am, Yahweh, The Almighty God. David is recognizing the history of the relationship with God and the children of Israel. I pray that all of us can have an experience of admiration, praise and worship for our God and the Sovereignty of God.

David is aware of the eternalness of the Sovereignty of God. David says God is Our Father forever and ever. Eternity with no beginning and no end. He is the Eternal God. David says that God is the owner of all that is in the heaven and in the earth. It is all God’s says David. God is the Creator and the owner. We are stewards and caretakers ONLY. Some of you may have an issue with that but the truth is that whatever we have accumulated is not ours. It is not ours but belongs to God. The Sovereign God is the ultimate authority as our text states when David said in verse 11 that the Kingdom is God’s. He reigns over all and in our God’s Hand is power and might. Our GOD is the Ultimate Supreme Powerful Being that reigns over all in heaven and in earth.

AMEN

Reactions: Matthias

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Submitted in support of the OP.

”1. The one God. (a) theos is the most frequent designation of God in the NT. Belief in the one, only and unique God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30; 1 Cor. 8:4,6; Gal. 3:20; 1 Tim. 2:5; Jas. 2:19) is an established part of Christian tradition. Jesus himself made the fundamental confession of Jud. his own and expressly quoted the Shema (Deut. 6:4-5; see Mk. 12:29-30; cf. Matt. 22:37; Lk. 10:27). This guaranteed continuity between the old and the new covenants. The God whom Christians worship is the God of the fathers (Acts 3:13; 5:30; 22:14), the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob (Acts 3:13; 7:32; cf. Matt. 22:32; Mk. 12:26; Lk. 20:37), the God of Israel (Matt. 15:31; Lk. 1:68; Acts 13:17), and the God of Jesus Christ (2 Cor. 1:3; Eph. 1:3; 1Pet. 1:3).”

(New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology, Abridged Edition, p. 244)

There is no God besides Yahweh. He is the one God; the supreme God.