A Christian is a temple of God

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

(1 Corinthians 3:16-16)Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy that person; for the temple of God, which you are, is holy”

One who is a temple of God and deliberately commits a sin is destroying the temple of God.

(John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”

If one deliberately commits sin he or she is making the temple of God unclean, it is no longer holy. It then can no longer be the temple of God. The temple of God becomes a temple of Satan.

(1 Corinthians 18-20) “
Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.”

(2 Corinthians 6:15-18) “What accord has Christ with Beliar? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said: "I will live with them and move among them, and I will be their God and they shall be my people. Therefore, come forth from them and be separate," says the Lord, "and touch nothing unclean; then I will receive you and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."

“Therefore, come forth from them and be separate,” says the Lord, “and touch nothing unclean;”

A Christian is a temple of God where no sin exists.

(1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

(1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
(1 Corinthians 3:16-16)Do you not know that you are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy that person; for the temple of God, which you are, is holy”
One who is a temple of God and deliberately commits a sin is destroying the temple of God.
(John 14: 23) “Anyone who loves me will keep my word and my Father will love him, and we shall come to him and make a home in him.”
If one deliberately commits sin he or she is making the temple of God unclean, it is no longer holy. It then can no longer be the temple of God. The temple of God becomes a temple of Satan

(1 Corinthians 18-20) “
Avoid immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the immoral person sins against his own body. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God, and that you are not your own? For you have been purchased at a price. Therefore, glorify God in your body.”

(2 Corinthians 6:15-18) “What accord has Christ with Beliar? Or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? What agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; as God said: "I will live with them and move among them, and I will be their God and they shall be my people. Therefore, come forth from them and be separate," says the Lord, "and touch nothing unclean; then I will receive you and I will be a father to you, and you shall be sons and daughters to me, says the Lord Almighty."
“Therefore, come forth from them and be separate,” says the Lord, “and touch nothing unclean;”
A Christian is a temple of God where no sin exists.
(1 John 3:9) “No one, who has been begotten by God sins; because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”
(1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

What you imply and what the context of Christian perfection is in actuality would appear seperate. There is a context of 1 John in its opening that hints that nobody is perfect and that we will occasionally fall and confess our sins.
What I think you leave out is that God is merciful and He is just. When God was going to wipe out Sodom, did not Abraham remind God of God's character and so helped save Lot and his family from the destruction coming to Sodom? Did not God want to destroy Israel due to their idolatry and Moses interceded and reminded God that to deliver Israel from slavery only to have God destroy them only damage God's character? Did not God say he was going to destroy Ninevah and send Jonah to preach repentence, and did not God change his mind because of their sincere repentence?

Anyone who is unforgiving of their own faults and of others to suggest that redemption is not possible and to further say that a person no longer can be a temple of God seems to me not to know the mercy of God. I should say not know the mercy of God, rather one has forgotten the mercy of God.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
What you imply and what the context of Christian perfection is in actuality would appear seperate. There is a context of 1 John in its opening that hints that nobody is perfect and that we will occasionally fall and confess our sins.
What I think you leave out is that God is merciful and He is just. When God was going to wipe out Sodom, did not Abraham remind God of God's character and so helped save Lot and his family from the destruction coming to Sodom? Did not God want to destroy Israel due to their idolatry and Moses interceded and reminded God that to deliver Israel from slavery only to have God destroy them only damage God's character? Did not God say he was going to destroy Ninevah and send Jonah to preach repentence, and did not God change his mind because of their sincere repentence?

Anyone who is unforgiving of their own faults and of others to suggest that redemption is not possible and to further say that a person no longer can be a temple of God seems to me not to know the mercy of God. I should say not know the mercy of God, rather one has forgotten the mercy of God.
Jesus reviled something to me to day. He showed me that an assumption that I made in Hebrews was wrong. I assumed that if one who knew God deliberately committed a sin they would go to Hell. (Hebrews 10:26) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies.”

I was assuming that the fiery wrath was Hell. Jesus told me today that it was not Hell.

People who sin will not receive a wage. They will suffer. But they will not go to Hell, yet.

Read the following verse.

(1Cornithians 3:10-18) “ According to the grace of God given to me, like a wise master builder I laid a foundation, and another is building upon it. But each one must be careful how he builds upon it, for no one can lay a foundation other than the one that is there, namely, Jesus Christ. If anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, or straw, the work of each will come to light, for the Day will disclose it. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire (itself) will test the quality of each one's work. If the work stands that someone built upon the foundation, that person will receive a wage. But if someone's work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire.”

“But if someone’s work is burned up, that one will suffer loss; the person will be saved, but only as through fire.”

(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies. Anyone who disregards the Law of Moses is ruthlessly put to death on the word of two witnesses or three; and you may be sure that anyone who tramples on the Son of God, and who treats the blood of the covenant which sanctified him as if it were not holy, and who insults the Spirit of grace, will be condemned to a far severer punishment. We are all aware who it was that said: Vengeance is mine; I will vindicate his people. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

Read Hebrews carefully and you may see why it is much worse for those who sin after coming to know God. One can only come to know God by being possessed by God/Holy Spirit.

Don’t be so willing to put me down. You may be surprised by what Jesus has done for me.

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN
Don’t be so willing to put me down. You may be surprised by what Jesus has done for me.

It is not within my best interest to "put [you] down."

What I hope to do is to render contextual interpretations of any one given passage. When I was an Assembly of God/non-denominational Evangelical Charismatic, I would approach the scriptures with the same sort of topical study method.
Now, after sitting in a Lutheran church with its lectionary readings of the O.T., Psalms, N.T. epistle, and then the Gospel reading with a homily that rendered the meaning of the texts to be pointing to greater coherency, I could never go back to the topical bible study to play scriptural gymnastics without getting the full context of each sentence coming out of a paragraph that is coming out of a letter with a specific purpose. So now you just were revealed something that you were not revealed before when quoting Hebrews. How is that Holy Spirit thing going for you to make correction after correction when you seem to suggest to everyone that you are saying is soo in-tune to the Holy Spirit? I am just saying, I was in the same boat at one time. My emotions controled me and not me controling my emotions. Perhaps the Holy Spirit is showing you things, but let's slow down and prayerfully think about it before you get another revelation from the Holy Spirit that contracts Himself.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

What I hope to do is to render contextual interpretations of any one given passage. When I was an Assembly of God/non-denominational Evangelical Charismatic, I would approach the scriptures with the same sort of topical study method.
Now, after sitting in a Lutheran church with its lectionary readings of the O.T., Psalms, N.T. epistle, and then the Gospel reading with a homily that rendered the meaning of the texts to be pointing to greater coherency, I could never go back to the topical bible study to play scriptural gymnastics without getting the full context of each sentence coming out of a paragraph that is coming out of a letter with a specific purpose. So now you just were revealed something that you were not revealed before when quoting Hebrews. How is that Holy Spirit thing going for you to make correction after correction when you seem to suggest to everyone that you are saying is soo in-tune to the Holy Spirit? I am just saying, I was in the same boat at one time. My emotions controled me and not me controling my emotions. Perhaps the Holy Spirit is showing you things, but let's slow down and prayerfully think about it before you get another revelation from the Holy Spirit that contracts Himself.

No matter who tells one any thing about God, one is to ask Jesus if it is right or wrong. What the Holy Spirit told me to tell people is so important. I don’t believe there is anyone who understands totally what he or she reads or hears. Only God can bring one to the truth. Jesus told me that Christians were dead to sin, and showed me scripture where it tells us that. It seem that because he told me I would be one with him, he did not need to show me what would happen if a Christian did sin. I had no need to know that there may be two deaths for some people.

Seeing that my message to give is a warning, Jesus allowed me to share that one who knew him and sinned would go to Hell. Seeing that a person who knows God does not sin, then my message about Hell only affected a few. They would not have been concerned, because it would not have been a concern to one who did not sin. The only people who would be concerned would be sinners. That maybe why Jesus let me run with my assumption.

By the way I was Catholic for forty years. I taught is adult Catholic Information classes for years.

Nomatter who tells one any thing about God, one is to ask Jesus if it is right orwrong. What the Holy Spirit told me totell people is so important. I don’tbelieve there is anyone who understands totally what he or she reads orhears. Only God can bring one to thetruth. Jesus told me that Christianswere dead to sin, and showed me scripture where it tells us that. It seem that because he told me I would beone with him, he did not need to show me what would happen if a Christian didsin. I had no need to know that theremay be two deaths for some people.

Seeingthat my message to give is a warning, Jesus allowed me to share that one whoknew him and sinned would go to Hell. Seeing that a person who knows God does not sin, then my message aboutHell only affected a few. They wouldnot have been concerned, because it would not have been a concern to one whodid not sin. The only people who wouldbe concerned would be sinners. That maybe why Jesus let me run with my assumption.

By the way I was Catholic for forty years. I taught is adult Catholic Information classes for years.

[email protected]

Choir Loft
Apr 2, 2009
West Central Florida
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
No matter who tells one any thing about God, one is to ask Jesus if it is right or wrong. What the Holy Spirit told me to tell people is so important. I don’t believe there is anyone who understands totally what he or she reads or hears. Only God can bring one to the truth. Jesus told me that Christians were dead to sin, and showed me scripture where it tells us that. It seem that because he told me I would be one with him, he did not need to show me what would happen if a Christian did sin. I had no need to know that there may be two deaths for some people.

Seeing that my message to give is a warning, Jesus allowed me to share that one who knew him and sinned would go to Hell. Seeing that a person who knows God does not sin, then my message about Hell only affected a few. They would not have been concerned, because it would not have been a concern to one who did not sin. The only people who would be concerned would be sinners. That maybe why Jesus let me run with my assumption.

Nomatter who tells one any thing about God, one is to ask Jesus if it is right orwrong. What the Holy Spirit told me totell people is so important. I don’tbelieve there is anyone who understands totally what he or she reads orhears. Only God can bring one to thetruth. Jesus told me that Christianswere dead to sin, and showed me scripture where it tells us that. It seem that because he told me I would beone with him, he did not need to show me what would happen if a Christian didsin. I had no need to know that theremay be two deaths for some people.

Seeingthat my message to give is a warning, Jesus allowed me to share that one whoknew him and sinned would go to Hell. Seeing that a person who knows God does not sin, then my message aboutHell only affected a few. They wouldnot have been concerned, because it would not have been a concern to one whodid not sin. The only people who wouldbe concerned would be sinners. That maybe why Jesus let me run with my assumption.

Whenever somebody begins an assertion with the phrase 'God told me so and so', I get all queasy. A massive headache soon follows.

As a former Catholic, you should know the efficacy of reliance upon the considerations of others.
You should also be keenly aware of the tendency of man to make more of himself than he ought.

The issue of Christian sin is discussed in great depth in Paul's letter to the ROMANS. The last time I looked, that book was still in the Bible despite the efforts of many to have it removed in order to prove their own righteousness.

The activity of sin in the world remains to this day.

The Christian is justified before God, not immune to the wiles of the wicked one and certainly not incapable of sin AS THE RECORD OF CATHOLIC LEADERSHIP HAS PROVEN.

The stain of sin is everywhere and no man is except from it. Only the blood of Christ and the grace of God can take away our sin and lead us from it's corruption. ANY theological foundation based upon the works of man will eventually fall of it's own corruption back into the mud from which it came.

The phrase 'temple of God' and 'house' are spiritual terms in the Bible as well as references to architectural structures.

Generally speaking, when the Holy Spirit indwells a human that person's body is said to be a 'temple of God'.
When a demon or unclean spirit inhabits a human body, the reference to the fleshly host is that of a 'house'.

All of this is in addition to the human spirit, which was born into the body of flesh.

If this is confusing to some, it should also be noted that sometimes it gets quite crowded in there - the human host being able to 'house' up to six thousand spirits (the average number of men in a Roman legion). (Mark 5:9, Mark 5:15, Luke 87:30)

Shall we add a bit of controversy to the thread? Some argue that it is impossible for the Holy Spirit to share a human body with demons or unclean spirits, while others testify that indeed it does happen.

I am reminded of a passage from PILGRIM'S PROGRESS (John Bunyan), which describes the internal spiritual battle between the Holy Spirit and the minions of the enemy.

A man was throwing water upon a wall in the attempt to douse a fire at it's base. He failed. In fact, the more water he threw upon the fire the hotter and brighter it became. He did not know or could not see that behind the wall, another man was pouring oil that fueled the blaze. In the allegory, the man with the water was the devil and the man with the oil was the Holy Spirit. The wall was the believer and the flame represented devotion to God. In this way John Bunyan is explaining the work of grace in the life of the believer.

The conflict and tension between sin (the powers of demons and unclean spirits) and the grace of God (as empowered by the Holy Spirit) rage on in man (mind, body and spirit). The body is therefore referenced as either the temple of God or a house depending upon the spirits that cohabit with man.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Whenever somebody begins an assertion with the phrase 'God told me so and so', I get all queasy. A massive headache soon follows.

As a former Catholic, you should know the efficacy of reliance upon the considerations of others.
You should also be keenly aware of the tendency of man to make more of himself than he ought.

The issue of Christian sin is discussed in great depth in Paul's letter to the ROMANS. The last time I looked, that book was still in the Bible despite the efforts of many to have it removed in order to prove their own righteousness.

The activity of sin in the world remains to this day.

The Christian is justified before God, not immune to the wiles of the wicked one and certainly not incapable of sin AS THE RECORD OF CATHOLIC LEADERSHIP HAS PROVEN. The stain of sin is everywhere and no man is except from it. Only the blood of Christ and the grace of God can take away our sin and lead us from it's corruption. ANY theological foundation based upon the works of man will eventually fall of it's own corruption back into the mud from which it came.

Like I said one needs to have God explain about him. Romans eight tells us that a spirit filled Chrisstian has achieved the victory over Satan/sin through the Spirit of God.

(Romans 8:1-4) “Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.”

Notice “Who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.”

Also John explains what a sinner is very clearly.

St Columcille

Apr 14, 2011
Manchester, TN

You'll forgive me, I hope, but whatever your experience was as a Catholic, makes not an iota of difference to me.

Anybody can say they are a doctor and not have a degree. I would rather listen to an actual doctor's jargoon and by his words regarding the field knowledge expressed come to a conclusion he might know what he is doing. You haven't really demonstrated to me the core knowledge of Catholicism to impress me that you "taught [an] adult Catholic Information class for years."

I am a convert Catholic, and I have been on the other spectrum as a Protestant. I still hang out with my Protestant friends and we still have occasional debates over various doctrines, not only Catholic ones, but just having fun discussing things like predestination verse free will of man, tongue speaking, an pretribulation... mostly posttribulation and amillinialist positions. I've some very intelligent and bright friends that love to discuss athiesm, but I've become tired of it. I could very well have a good Protestant discussion with you and I can hold my own if you tell me to support an opposing view. I am against tongue speaking, but I could defend it for the sake of a fun and interesting dialogue. I am just saying, perhaps my telling you that I am a convert Catholic might be perceived as being false because perhaps you haven't had enough dialogue with me to make you believe I was ever one in the first place. Perhaps I am just one of those cradle Catholics making false pretense, or perhaps I am a Jesuit that has come here to make Catholic converts if you would be a conspiracy theorist like Jack Chick. Maybe the Catholic Church's pope is going to run the New World Order and make everyone take the mark of the beast. I've heard some whoppers in my day, even promoted it.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006

Thankful 1

What does Your god tell you about FALSE PROPHETS and FALSE TEACHERS?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

Thankful 1

What does Your god tell you about FALSE PROPHETS and FALSE TEACHERS?

My God told me to tell people that no matter who tells them anything about God, be it a priest, bishop, or anyone they were to ask Jesus if it was right or wrong.

(John 10:1-5)"I tell you the truth, the man whodoes not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. He calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know hisvoice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."