A Different Look at Genesis - Part 2

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Rom. 7:3-4 - "So then if, while her husband liveth, she be married to another man, she shall be called an adulteress: but if her husband be dead, she is free from that law; so that she is no adulteress, though she be married to another man. 4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ; that ye should be married (belong) to another, even to him who is raised from the dead, that we should bring forth fruit unto God."

I believe the word "married" here is a mistranslation. The Greek is "ginomai" G1096. This word is used 100's of times in the NT and this scripture is the ONLY place it is translated as "married". All the other times the word for "married" is used it's G1060 (gameo). The other most common translation of this passage is the phrase "belong to" which has a different connotation than "married". This is the first time I've heard your conclusion. Most others erroneously consider Israel to be the wife of the Father and the church to be the wife of the Son thus creating an eternal separation which is contrary to everything that's in God's plan, imo.

I don't believe any "divorce" was finalized. I believe it was used more as a threat then a reality because in the next chapter God pleads with Israel to return to Him. I don't think God contradicts Himself so the whole reason for the Book of Hosea is to show how forgiving God can be towards an adulterous wife. You also need to realize that when God uses the phrases married, wife, etc. regarding Israel it is not a reality, it is done so as an allegory, imo., showing how united they should be. It's all a picture of the intimate closeness that God desires with His creation. I'm sorry but the reason you're offering for Christ's death on the cross isn't a realistic picture of the truth f scripture at all, imo.
first thanks for the reply,
second, "divorce" is real. and the book of Hosea is a book of LAW concering marriage. meaning it shows us how disguested God was with us as harlots, living with an adulterous wife. as a Law meaning a MIRROR, "Look at yourself" for the Law shows us our sins. well that's what the book of Hosea did.

PICJAG

Last edited:

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Romans 7:3-4 New International Version (NIV)
3 So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

CoreIssue

Oct 15, 2018
USA
christiantalkzone.net
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
3 So then, if she has sexual relations with another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress if she marries another man.

4 So, my brothers and sisters, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God.

Marriage to another man after divorce is not recognized as a marriage, but adultery.

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

correct, did not the Lord Jesus die a NATURAL death? so that he could now be married to another?

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
first thanks for the reply,
second, "divorce" is real. and the book of Hosea is a book of LAW concering marriage. meaning it shows us how disguested God was with us as harlots, living with an adulterous wife. as a Law meaning a MIRROR, "Look at yourself" for the Law shows us our sins. well that's what the book of Hosea did.

PICJAG

Well, not us but all of Israel. The gentiles didn't have the "law" per se so I don't think the gentiles of old will be judged by the law but by the knowledge of good and evil that dwells within us since Adam and Eve's sin at the GWTJ.
correct, did not the Lord Jesus die a NATURAL death? so that he could now be married to another?

His death had zero to do with marriage. The identity of the church as the bride of Christ is highly suspect and never actually stated as a fact in the bible.