A Fist Full of Doubt's

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
I don’t have any problem with belief. It is part of the human experience. As far as it being an essential apparatus for the human mind, you would have to ask God. I don’t really have an opinion on it.
You disappoint me deeply.

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
It's about now I'm wondering what we all think believing is.

We believe we are posting on a forum, right? Or we believe it's a delusion, but we believe something about this experience.

Much love!
Exactly. We are all so used to believing things before we know what believing itself is.

Reactions: amadeus

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exactly. We are all so used to believing things before we know what believing itself is.
You already have a vast variety of beliefs, and you live your life according to them.

Much love!

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Well this thread has been interesting…
Have you ever driven a car? If someone slams on their brakes in front of you, why do you bother to slam on your brakes?

Why don’t you go jump off a cliff. Is it because you believe doing so would be detrimental to your survival? Or is it because, nah, I just don’t feel like doing it?
An automatic response in a potentially dangerous situation comes down to the human brain reacting from an early warning system. You slam on the brakes because mirror neurones fire off via the visual input, and you don't jump off a cliff because fear is a precursor for acting without knowledge.

Last edited:

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Is that what you currently believe? That you no longer have beliefs?

Much love!
I probably have a couple of beliefs rolling around in my head, there little buggers to get rid of. When they resurface I jump on them and then my brain can do the rest.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I probably have a couple of beliefs rolling around in my head, there little buggers to get rid of. When they resurface I jump on them and then my brain can do the rest.
Yeah, I think you have more than a couple. Just a belief of mine . . .

Much love!

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An automatic response in a potentially dangerous situation comes down to the human brain reacting from an early warning system. You slam on the brakes because mirror neurones fire off via the visual input, and you don't jump off a cliff because fear is a precursor for acting without knowledge.

Well, you got it right that fear keeps you from jumping off a cliff! Fear, because you believe you could be severely injured or die.

Reactions: amadeus

I.O.U

Aug 8, 2021
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Well, you got it right that fear keeps you from jumping off a cliff! Fear, because you believe you could be severely injured or die.
Fear is a primordial survival instinct that tells us when a direct lack of knowledge could threaten our well being. Layering a belief over our lack of information doesn't add accurate knowledge of the conditions we don't know about. There is a necessity to learn directly and objectively for our increased chance for survival.

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nor do I think it is a legalistic prohibition. We have freedom in Christ. I think a lot of people think Christianity is some kind of boring sterile lifestyle, where we have no fun. I didn't lose anything but sin becoming a Christian. I mean what are you giving up? Lying, murder, rape, theft etc.
YEP... It's seen in a great many Christian circles.... Hello to you Mantis.

Reactions: Mantis

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
... You know doubt within religion is met with scorn, and ridicule...
And you know that the opinions of men are to make no difference to a person who is truly in love with God and following Him alone:

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?" John 6:66-67

Jesus was ready to walk on as a man all alone. Ultimately this is where, I believe, God wants us to be. Getting idea into your head so you can state it with your lips is one thing, but to get it into your heart that when and where the rubber meets the road you can do it is quite another.

People will say that Jesus had and advantage, and they would be correct, but God made the impossible possible. This perhaps the primary reason Jesus was sent...