A Galilean Wedding & the Second Coming ...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Galilean Marriage 2000 years ago … What does is represent?

Jesus and His disciples were from Galilee. Their customs concerning marriage were quite unique. His parables and literal teachings about His Second Coming and marriage were designed to imitate an event that they were all familiar with, A MARRIAGE BETWEEN A GROOM AND HIS BRIDE , which involved a year-long sequence of events.

The Bride; the Parable of the Ten Virgins, some being prepared and some not; the Groom coming “at an hour you do not expect”, “as a thief in the night”; that “only the Father knows the day and the hour”; that it will happen at night; “the trumpet will sound an alarm” and the bride is lifted up and carried away to the Father’s house, all were shadows and symbolic of Jesus Second Coming for the Church.

The Galilean Marriage begins with the Groom leaving his father’s home going to the home of the Bride. His father officiates the betrothal with the terms and dowry (price and down payment). Terms of the marriage were read publically and agreed upon. Gifts are given to the bride. A “cup of joy’ (wine) is shared and given to the Bride, who has a choice to accept it or reject it. She says yes, The wine is drunk and the covenant is irrevocable.

1 year betrothal agreement, a cup of wine shared and the groom promises not to drink of the wine until the marriage is consummated.

During this time, Bride and bridesmaids choose clothing and make dresses. This usually took months.

The Groom builds or buys and prepares a new home for the bride and feast.

Close to the time, within a week of the estimated year timeframe, but without a specific date, the bride and bridesmaids would wait in their clothes day and night for the Shofar to sound. Neither the groom nor the bride would know the exact date, only the father.

In the middle of the night, the father would decide and notify the son to go get his bride!

The Groom
would sound the Shofar, walk through the streets towards his bride’s home and all the guests that were waiting for that day, ready to go, join them in the procession and/or meet at the Father’s house. Everyone needed to be ready, dressed and have enough oil for their lamps.

The Bride would hear the Shofar from a distance and go out and meet the groom and the bridesmaids nearby as well. The Bride would be placed in a seat, two men would lift her up in the air and carry her off to the wedding chamber in the Father’s house. *It was a chair on a stretcher like platform with two poles, one on each side.

The procession would enter into the Father’s house and the door was shut – no late comers allowed! The wedding and reception could last up to seven days.

Symbolism:

The groom leaves his father’s house and goes to where the bride is = Jesus comes from heaven to earth and becomes flesh and dwells among us.

Father = Father God

Betrothal period = Jesus First Coming, His New Covenant given, the Gospel goes out to the world

Cup of wine given to the Bride, a choice given = Cup at Last Supper representing New Covenant, the gospel is given to all and we have the choice to accept it or reject it

Once the Bride drinks the cup, the covenant is irrevocable = Once we have received Christ as our Lord and Savior, we believe and follow Him, our covenant with God is irrevocable, OSAS.

The Groom now states to the betrothed Bride, “You are now consecrated to me by the law of Moses and I will not drink this cup again with you until we drink it together in my father’s house” = Jesus likewise made the same claim during the Last Supper (Luke 22:18)

Dowry, down payment = Death (His payment) and resurrection of Christ , the belief in this grants us the Promise of Eternal Life

Groom’s preparation for the Bride’s home = “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places, if it were not so, I would have told you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.” John 14:2-3

The Groom does not know the day or hour of the wedding! = “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.” Matthew 24:36

Bride and bridesmaids needed to have lamps and oil = The Ten Virgins , but only half were prepared = represents the Bride/Church, prepared, they have their oil (Holy spirit) for their lamps. The others (Jews at that time or later, as unbelieving Gentiles did not have the Holy Spirit and so were not allowed into the kingdom of heaven.

The Father tells the son, “go get your Bride”, the Groom blows the trumpet to announce his coming, receives his bride , she is lifted up and carried off to the wedding chamber = “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord”. 1 Thes. 4 :16-17
The Bride is lifted up in the air and carried off to the Father's house = Rapture

The Bride enters the wedding chamber and sees guests waiting = these are Old Testament saints in Heaven

Wedding Feast = Marriage Supper (Rev.19:7-9)

“Looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, Who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.” Titut 2:13-14

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Nice, but not reflective of anything relating to Jesus. Jews are blind to Christ. And though they continue to try to live holy lives, there is nothing holy without Jesus. What have they done with thwor sins all this time? There is no blood sacrifice anymore since Christ. Even of they beought it back it would be meaningless.
A remnant (1/3) of the Jews will be saved according to Romans 11. They will see the Light, when "every eye sees him". They will mourn. Imagine the realiztion that the Messiah your people have been waiting for for thoisands of years IS JESUS. What a shameful day.
I am not so sure if it will happen this way and when during the Great Tribulation they will be enlightened, but all I can say is I am happy for them, praise God, He is merciful. The Two Witnesses are supposed yo show up to evangelize them to Christ for 1260 days while the Antichrist rules. We'll see how it unfolds. ???

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've long tried to find this, what is the source on this historical wedding? I've never been able to find an historical source, only modern day commentaries.

Much love!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've long tried to find this, what is the source on this historical wedding? I've never been able to find an historical source, only modern day commentaries.

Much love!

If you or anyone thinks that the Jews have changed the way they do weddings..... :coff

Please.... enlighten.

Reactions: marks

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you or anyone thinks that the Jews have changed the way they do weddings..... :coff

Please.... enlighten.
I have no idea, I just haven't been able to find the history is all . . .

Much love!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea, I just haven't been able to find the history is all . . .

Much love!

Perhaps you don’t but I remember a conversation around some of the Jewish wedding traditions and what the video I linked very politely referred to as 15 minutes alone.

This tradition remains from of ancient times and relates directly to Deut 22. It was for a very specific purpose.

Here is a link to the significant part of an old thread on the subject…

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!
Google Galilean Wedding and you'll find numerous sites. Here are a few:

A Jewish encyclopedia may be even better, haven't been to the library for awhile.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Jesus and His disciples were from Galilee. Their customs concerning marriage were quite unique. His parables and literal teachings about His Second Coming and marriage were designed to imitate an event that they were all familiar with, A MARRIAGE BETWEEN A GROOM AND HIS BRIDE , which involved a year-long sequence of events.

The Bride; the Parable of the Ten Virgins, some being prepared and some not; the Groom coming “at an hour you do not expect”, “as a thief in the night”; that “only the Father knows the day and the hour”; that it will happen at night; “the trumpet will sound an alarm” and the bride is lifted up and carried away to the Father’s house, all were shadows and symbolic of Jesus Second Coming for the Church.

The Galilean Marriage begins with the Groom leaving his father’s home going to the home of the Bride. His father officiates the betrothal with the terms and dowry (price and down payment). Terms of the marriage were read publically and agreed upon. Gifts are given to the bride. A “cup of joy’ (wine) is shared and given to the Bride, who has a choice to accept it or reject it. She says yes, The wine is drunk and the covenant is irrevocable.

1 year betrothal agreement, a cup of wine shared and the groom promises not to drink of the wine until the marriage is consummated.

During this time, Bride and bridesmaids choose clothing and make dresses. This usually took months.

Close to the time, within a week of the estimated year timeframe, but without a specific date, the bride and bridesmaids would wait in their clothes day and night for the Shofar to sound. Neither the groom nor the bride would know the exact date, only the father.

In the middle of the night, the father would decide and notify the son to go get his bride!

The Groom
would sound the Shofar, walk through the streets towards his bride’s home and all the guests that were waiting for that day, ready to go, join them in the procession and/or meet at the Father’s house. Everyone needed to be ready, dressed and have enough oil for their lamps.

The Bride would hear the Shofar from a distance and go out and meet the groom and the bridesmaids nearby as well. The Bride would be placed in a seat, two men would lift her up in the air and carry her off to the wedding chamber in the Father’s house. *It was a chair on a stretcher like platform with two poles, one on each side.

The procession would enter into the Father’s house and the door was shut – no late comers allowed! The wedding and reception could last up to seven days.

Symbolism:

The groom leaves his father’s house and goes to where the bride is = Jesus comes from heaven to earth and becomes flesh and dwells among us.

Father = Father God

Betrothal period = Jesus First Coming, His New Covenant given, the Gospel goes out to the world

Cup of wine given to the Bride, a choice given = Cup at Last Supper representing New Covenant, the gospel is given to all and we have the choice to accept it or reject it

Once the Bride drinks the cup, the covenant is irrevocable = Once we have received Christ as our Lord and Savior, we believe and follow Him, our covenant with God is irrevocable, OSAS.

The Groom now states to the betrothed Bride, “You are now consecrated to me by the law of Moses and I will not drink this cup again with you until we drink it together in my father’s house” = Jesus likewise made the same claim during the Last Supper (Luke 22:18)

Dowry, down payment = Death (His payment) and resurrection of Christ , the belief in this grants us the Promise of Eternal Life

Groom’s preparation for the Bride’s home = “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places, if it were not so, I would have told you. If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also.” John 14:2-3

The Groom does not know the day or hour of the wedding! = “But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.” Matthew 24:36

Bride and bridesmaids needed to have lamps and oil = The Ten Virgins , but only half were prepared = represents the Bride/Church, prepared, they have their oil (Holy spirit) for their lamps. The others (Jews at that time or later, as unbelieving Gentiles did not have the Holy Spirit and so were not allowed into the kingdom of heaven.

The Father tells the son, “go get your Bride”, the Groom blows the trumpet to announce his coming, receives his bride , she is lifted up and carried off to the wedding chamber = “For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord”. 1 Thes. 4 :16-17
The Bride is lifted up in the air and carried off to the Father's house = Rapture

The Bride enters the wedding chamber and sees guests waiting = these are Old Testament saints in Heaven

“Looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus, Who gave Himself for us to redeem us from every lawless deed, and to purify for Himself a people for His own possession, zealous for good deeds.” Titut 2:13-14

This was excellent - thank you.

Here is more Eternal Wedding Truth from the Gospel/Apostles/Revelation = the Bride is with Jesus now -right now.

Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe in Me as well. In My Father’s house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you?
And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and welcome you into My presence, so that you also may be where I am.
You know the way to the place where I am going.

I am not asking on behalf of them alone, but also on behalf of those who will believe in Me through their message, 21that all of them may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I am in You. May they also be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me.
22I have given them the glory You gave Me, so that they may be one as We are one— 23I in them and You in Me—that they may be perfectly united, so that the world may know that You sent Me and have loved them just as You have loved Me.
24Father, I want those You have given Me to be with Me where I am, that they may see the glory You gave Me because You loved Me before the foundation of the world.

But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in our trespasses. It is by grace you have been saved!
6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,
7in order that in the coming ages He might display the surpassing riches of His grace, demonstrated by His kindness to us in Christ Jesus.

I, Jesus, have sent My angel to testify to you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, the Bright and Morning Star.”
And the Spirit and the bride say, “Come!” And let him who hears say, “Come!” And let him who thirsts come. Whoever desires, let him take the water of life freely. - Revelation ch22

Reactions: bbyrd009

Trekson

Jul 24, 2012
Kentucky
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Groom

Symbolism:

Father = Father God

Based on what historical information? This type of scenario, first popularized by Zola Leavitt and carried on by Perry Stone, is completely made up. Btw the 10 virgins don't represent the bride, they are what we would call bridesmaids.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Based on what historical information? This type of scenario, first popularized by Zola Leavitt and carried on by Perry Stone, is completely made up. Btw the 10 virgins don't represent the bride, they are what we would call bridesmaids.
Just do a search on Galilean wedding and you will see many sources and articles. I Have examined several. There was even a movie made about it: "Before the Wrath".
It was enlightening when I came upon it. Where do you think those ideas about the Church is the Bride of Christ, Marriage Supper, and other concepts come from?
The ten virgin are not the Church - who claimed that? There are billions, but in this parable _ a smal slice/example is given of who will be going to meet Jesus when He comes ---- only half of the virgins are representative of Christians, they have the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is the 1/3 in the bible?
Zechariah 13

First Coming of Messiah v7
7“Awake, O sword, against My Shepherd,
Against the Man who is My Companion,”
Says the Lord of hosts.
“Strike the Shepherd,
And the sheep will be scattered;
Then I will turn My hand against the little ones.

Second Coming of Messiah
8And it shall come to pass in all the land,”
Says the Lord,
That two-thirds in it shall be cut off and die,
But one-third shall be left in it:
9I will bring the one-third through the fire,
Will refine them as silver is refined,
And test them as gold is tested.
They will call on My name,
And I will answer them.
I will say, ‘This is My people’;
And each one will say, ‘The Lord is my God.’ ”

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just do a search on Galilean wedding and you will see many sources and articles. I Have examined several. There was even a movie made about it: "Before the Wrath".
It was enlightening when I came upon it. Where do you think those ideas about the Church is the Bride of Christ with all tje others that clearly point to a wedding came from?
The ten virgin are not the Church - who claimed that? There are billions, but in this parable _ a smal slice/example is given of who will be going to meet Jesus when He comes ---- only half of the virgins are representative of Christians, they have the Holy Spirit.
From a Jewish wedding perspective - Do you understand what this means?

But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in our trespasses.
It is by grace you have been saved!
6And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus,
7in order that in the coming ages He might display the surpassing riches of His grace, demonstrated by His kindness to us in Christ Jesus.

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From a Jewish wedding perspective - Do you understand what this means?

But because of His great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, 5made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in our trespasses.
It is by grace you have been saved!
I understand clearly what that means, have for 32 years. My understanding did not come from what went on in a Galilean Wedding 2000 years ago. I just recently came upon this knowledge of their weddings. It just like many shadows presented in the Old Testament that point ti Christ in different ways. A marriage between Jesus and His Bride means more than just a joining together. It had to include other elements of the entire wedding plan from statrt to finish - don't you think?
Now let me answer your question further.
We are now in Christ, spiritually
He raised us up, spiritually
Born again/New crearures,
>> spiritually.
How can this be applicable to a marriage _ that hasn't taken place yet in a Galilean Wedding?
The groom and his bride to be (chosen) are in love and have made a covenant/ committment before the actual day.
So spiritually, the commitment and love is there. What's missing? The resurrection, our new eternal bodies and presence in heaven.

Okay, so let me ask you, since you are seated with Christ _ in heaven _ describe to me what you see?
The day and hour of our Lord's return has not come yet, the trumpet has not sounded and the bride has not been lifted up nor taken to the Father's house, nor has the marriage been fully consummated.
But if you are there, seated with Christ, say hi to my parents for me!

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I understand clearly what that means, have for 32 years. My understanding did not come from what went on in a Galilean Wedding 2000 years ago. I just recently came upon this knowledge of their weddings. It just like many shadows presented in the Old Testament that point ti Christ in different ways. A marriage between Jesus and His Bride means more than just a joining together. It had to include other elements of the entire wedding plan from statrt to finish - don't you think?
Now let me answer your question further.
We are now in Christ, spiritually
He raised us up, spiritually
Born again/New crearures,
>> spiritually.
How can this be applicable to a marriage _ that hasn't taken place yet in a Galilean Wedding?
The groom and his bride to be (chosen) are in love and have made a covenant/ committment before the actual day.
So spiritually, the commitment and love is there. What's missing? The resurrection, our new eternal bodies and presence in heaven.

Okay, so let me ask you, since you are seated with Christ _ in heaven _ describe to me what you see?
The day and hour of our Lord's return has not come yet, the trumpet has not sounded and the bride has not been lifted up nor has the marriage been fully consummated. Jesus has not taken His bride to heaven. But if you are there, seated with Christ, say hi to my parents for me!
The Apostles Paul was Jewish - Yes
The Apostle Paul lived during the time of Christ - Yes
The Apostle Paul was more familiar with the Galilean Wedding then yourself, myself or anyone else alive today - Yes

"And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus," -
Eph ch2

This is what takes place at a Jewish Wedding = i know for it was part of my wedding with my bride.

Then there arose a dispute between some of John’s disciples and the Jews about purification. 26And they came to John and said to him, “Rabbi, He who was with you beyond the Jordan, to whom you have testified—behold, He is baptizing, and all are coming to Him!”
27John answered and said, “A man can receive nothing unless it has been given to him from heaven. 28You yourselves bear me witness, that I said, ‘I am not the Christ,’ but, ‘I have been sent before Him.’
29He who has the bride is the bridegroom; but the friend of the bridegroom, who stands and hears him, rejoices greatly because of the bridegroom’s voice. Therefore this joy of mine is fulfilled.

Where did the Bride(His Disciples) of the Bridegroom(Christ) go when they died?

Revelation ch6
When He opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of those who had been slain for the word of God and for the testimony which they held. 10And they cried with a loud voice, saying, “How long, O Lord, holy and true, until You judge and avenge our blood on those who dwell on the earth?”
11Then a white robe was given to each of them;(Wedding Garment) and it was said to them that they should rest a little while longer, until both the number of their fellow servants and their brethren, who would be killed as they were, was completed.

Revelation ch19
And I heard, as it were, the voice of a great multitude, as the sound of many waters and as the sound of mighty thunderings, saying, “Alleluia! For the Lord God Omnipotent reigns!
7Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.”
8And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.

9Then he said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus," - Eph ch2
You didn't answer my question: What do you see up there? Please describe heaven to me.
This is what takes place at a Jewish Wedding = i know for it was part of my wedding with my bride.
I watched the video of a modern day Jewish wedding thqt Mr E shared in post #2 and it looked nothing like a Galilean wedding of old. Actually I can't imagine a Jerusalem wedding at the time resembled a Galilean wedding that closely. It was a bigger town, hustle and bustle, hard working folks with schedules to keep and no time to put on wedding attire and wait for days until the grooms Daddy decides it is time and then celebrate for seven days? I could just imagine the complaints, people knocking on his door, " Come on Jacob, let's get this thing going, many of us have plans, I have to leave town in three days... or What the heck are you waiting for, a dove to fly on your shoulder? ... or maybe Sorry, I can't attend, send them my blessings, gotta go!"
for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready.”
8And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints.
Right, it will soon come, during the Great Tribulation at the 7th Trumpet.
9Then he said to me, “Write: ‘Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!
Amen

Those souls in heaven prior to the resurrection are given white robes, and they are asking, "How long oh Lord ..." They have not received their eternal bodies yet because the resurrection has not taken place yet. The GT is still going on. The last trump was not blown. Once it is, Jesus then takes His Bride (all the remaining believers on earth) to heaven and changes ALL, in a twinkling of an eye.

Reactions: Always Believing

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Google Galilean Wedding and you'll find numerous sites. Here are a few:

A Jewish encyclopedia may be even better, haven't been to the library for awhile.
These are all modern articles without sources. I'm looking for the ancient historical sources, something written at or near the time in history.

Much love!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't answer my question: What do you see up there? Please describe heaven to me.

I watched the video of a modern day Jewish wedding thqt Mr E shared in post #2 and it looked nothing like a Galilean wedding of old. Actually I can't imagine a Jerusalem wedding at the time resembled a Galilean wedding that closely. It was a bigger town, hustle and bustle, hard working folks with schedules to keep and no time to put on wedding attire and wait for days until the grooms Daddy decides it is time and then celebrate for seven days? I could just imagine the complaints, people knocking on his door, " Come on Jacob, let's get this thing going, many of us have plans, I have to leave town in three days... or What the heck are you waiting for, a dove to fly on your shoulder? ... or maybe Sorry, I can't attend, send them my blessings, gotta go!"

Right, it will soon come, during the Great Tribulation at the 7th Trumpet.

Amen

Those souls in heaven prior to the resurrection are given white robes, and they are asking, "How long oh Lord ..." They have not received their eternal bodies yet because the resurrection has not taken place yet. The GT is still going on. The last trump was not blown. Once it is, Jesus then takes His Bride (all the remaining believers on earth) to heaven and changes ALL, in a twinkling of an eye.

You miss the point.

Here's how the wedding worked:

--the groom makes a contract with the father of the bride, promising to love and care for her for a lifetime.
--he pays a price for her
--they celebrate with a feast
--they sleep together
--they are married

It hasn't changed in terms of traditions.

Reactions: David in NJ