A Galilean Wedding & the Second Coming ...

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
These are all modern articles without sources. I'm looking for the ancient historical sources, something written at or near the time in history.

Much love!

Here you go....

Finally, Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife (Rachel), for my time of service is up. And I want to sleep with her.” So Laban invited all the people of that place and prepared a feast. In the evening he brought his daughter Leah to Jacob, and he slept with her. (and she became his wife)

Reactions: David in NJ

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't answer my question: What do you see up there? Please describe heaven to me.

I watched the video of a modern day Jewish wedding thqt Mr E shared in post #2 and it looked nothing like a Galilean wedding of old. Actually I can't imagine a Jerusalem wedding at the time resembled a Galilean wedding that closely. It was a bigger town, hustle and bustle, hard working folks with schedules to keep and no time to put on wedding attire and wait for days until the grooms Daddy decides it is time and then celebrate for seven days? I could just imagine the complaints, people knocking on his door, " Come on Jacob, let's get this thing going, many of us have plans, I have to leave town in three days... or What the heck are you waiting for, a dove to fly on your shoulder? ... or maybe Sorry, I can't attend, send them my blessings, gotta go!"

Right, it will soon come, during the Great Tribulation at the 7th Trumpet.

Amen

Those souls in heaven prior to the resurrection are given white robes, and they are asking, "How long oh Lord ..." They have not received their eternal bodies yet because the resurrection has not taken place yet. The GT is still going on. The last trump was not blown. Once it is, Jesus then takes His Bride (all the remaining believers on earth) to heaven and changes ALL, in a twinkling of an eye.
You have and know many things that are Correct according to Scripture.

However, false prophecy(pre-trib rapture) taints the Truth and the Wedding Format.

The Wedding is an on-going celebration that began with = "HE who has the Bride is the Bridegroom."

Ephesians 2:1-10 "And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus"

Eph2:6 = This takes place In a True Jewish Wedding/Gospel =
The families and guests have the Bridegroom sit in a chair and the Bride sit in another chair facing each other.
Then the Bridegroom and the Bride are LIFTED UP in the air above everyone celebrating with great joy
as they bring the Bride to the Bridegroom in the AIR = ABOVE(seated in Christ in Heavenly places).

The Wedding of the Lamb began when Christ chose His Bride and continues TODAY and will continue until His Second Coming.
LOVE is what connects the Bride to the Bridegroom.

"And may the Lord cause you to increase and overflow with love for one another and for everyone else, just as our love for you overflows,
so that He may establish your hearts in blamelessness and holiness(white wedding garments) before our God and Father
at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all His saints. - 1 Thess 3:12

Brothers, we do not want you to be uninformed about those who sleep in death, so that you will not grieve like the rest, who are without hope. 14For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, we also believe that God will bring with Jesus those who have fallen asleep in Him.
15By the word of the Lord, we declare to you that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord will by no means precede those who have fallen asleep.
16For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a loud command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will be the first to rise. 17After that, we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will always be with the Lord.

The Bride is in Heaven and the Wedding is ongoing and the CALL to the Wedding is ongoing UNTIL =

Matthew ch24 - "And this gospel of the kingdom(Wedding Invitation) will be preached in all the world as a testimony to all nations,
and then the end will come."

Revelation ch19 - Then the angel told me to write, “Blessed are those who are invited to the marriage supper of the Lamb.(GOSPEL)”
And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.”

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was enlightening when I came upon it. Where do you think those ideas about the Church is the Bride of Christ, Marriage Supper, and other concepts come from?
What it seemed to me was that this wedding story evolved over the past 40 years or so. I haven't been able to find anything on it older than that. Not saying it's not there, only, over the years that I've looked, I've never found it.

I first heard this in Calvary Chapel, and over the course of the 35+ years I've been paying attention, I've heard it told and retold, more details added as the years go by. I just can't seem to find any historical sources.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to!

Much love!

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here you go....

Finally, Jacob said to Laban, “Give me my wife (Rachel), for my time of service is up. And I want to sleep with her.” So Laban invited all the people of that place and prepared a feast. In the evening he brought his daughter Leah to Jacob, and he slept with her. (and she became his wife)
That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about the cup of wine, and the building the room, and the father telling his son, go get your bride, all that.

Much love!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's not what I'm talking about though. I'm talking about the cup of wine, and the building the room, and the father telling his son, go get your bride, all that.

Much love!
Brother Marks,

Chicken before eggs = Genesis

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You miss the point.

Here's how the wedding worked:

--the groom makes a contract with the father of the bride, promising to love and care for her for a lifetime.
--he pays a price for her
--they celebrate with a feast
--they sleep together
--they are married

It hasn't changed in terms of traditions.
In that order? So they feasted and slept together before they tied the knot?
So a dowry is still part of the modern Jewish marriage?
As I mentiioned, things have changed, elements of marriage have changed due to time constraints. What reception have you attended lately that lasted seven days?
Regardless, Jesus spoke things that were relevant to the disciples, who were from Galilee and were brought up with the same customs. Again, it doesn't matter much how Jews tie the knot today unless Jesus is part of their lives.
Here's another site that reiterates the same facets of the old Jewish weddings:

Last edited:

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never put the cart before the horse.

Never try to interpret Scripture from outside sources that do not tell the True Story of the Bridegroom and His Bride.

The TRUE Marriage of the Lamb was first preached in Genesis.

The Galilean wedding is beautiful and close but it is not exactly how we are to understand Marriage Supper of the Lamb.

Reactions: marks

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I mentiioned, things have changed, elements of marriage have changed due to time constraints. What reception have you attended lately that lasted seven days?
Regardless, Jesus spoke things that were relevant to the disciples, who were from Galilee and were brought up with the same customs. Again, it doesn't matter much how Jews tie the knot today unless Jesus is part of their lives.
If you are in Christ = the knot has already been tied.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Never put the cart before the horse.

Never try to interpret Scripture from outside sources that do not tell the True Story of the Bridegroom and His Bride.

The TRUE Marriage of the Lamb was first preached in Genesis.

The Galilean wedding is beautiful and close but it is not exactly how we are to understand Marriage Supper of the Lamb.
My sister had the practice of never watching movies about Jesus, so that her perceptions of Him would not come from movies, only the Bible, and her relationship with Him.

I feel like it's a nice story that's been built around certain people's doctrines, intending to reinforce that interpretation in Scripture. I don't see it necessary.

The marriage supper, when Israel is re-wed to God . . .

Much love!

Reactions: Mr E

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

Good luck in your search for historical accuracy. You'll need it, because the story has been stretched in an attempt to manufacture a workable narrative. I don't fault folks for doing this-- the early church did the same thing and you can find all kinds of examples in the NT.

Mr E

Aug 17, 2022
San Diego
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here's another site that reiterates the same facets of the old Jewish weddings:

This is shocking to you?

The coming together as one is what the wedding is about. That's what makes you "married" -- the two become one.

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can this be applicable to a marriage _ that hasn't taken place yet in a Galilean Wedding?I understand clearly what that means, have for 32 years. My understanding did not come from what went on in a Galilean Wedding 2000 years ago. I just recently came upon this knowledge of their weddings. It just like many shadows presented in the Old Testament that point ti Christ in different ways. A marriage between Jesus and His Bride means more than just a joining together. It had to include other elements of the entire wedding plan from statrt to finish - don't you think?
Now let me answer your question further.
We are now in Christ, spiritually
He raised us up, spiritually
Born again/New crearures,
>> spiritually.
How can this be applicable to a marriage _ that hasn't taken place yet in a Galilean Wedding?
The groom and his bride to be (chosen) are in love and have made a covenant/ committment before the actual day.
So spiritually, the commitment and love is there. What's missing? The resurrection, our new eternal bodies and presence in heaven.

Okay, so let me ask you, since you are seated with Christ _ in heaven _ describe to me what you see?
The day and hour of our Lord's return has not come yet, the trumpet has not sounded and the bride has not been lifted up nor taken to the Father's house, nor has the marriage been fully consummated.
But if you are there, seated with Christ, say hi to my parents for me!
Dear Brother, You contradict your words

You said: "I understand clearly what that means, have for 32 years. My understanding did not come from what went on in a Galilean Wedding 2000 years ago"

Your own contradiction ="How can this be applicable to a marriage _ that hasn't taken place yet in a Galilean Wedding?

When the Bride is seated and lifted in the air to be joined to the Bridegroom who also is seated and lifted UP, they are joined together in their NEW Risen Life.

Now ask yourself, apart from the Galilean wedding = where and how does this take place for a Believer in Christ?

Answer is in Scripture and not the Galilean wedding = Scripture is where we should be looking....................

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God the Father isn't getting re-married. His Son is being married and not to the old Israel but a new one who has faith in him.
Really? Because YHWH said that He was wed to Israel, and divorced her, but said He would wed her again.

Now, I realize the church is compared to being a bride, that this simile is used in several places, but the church is never actually said to be the bride, while Israel is. The church is given a specific identification as the Body of Christ, not the bride, while still being compared to a bride.

Much love!

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What it seemed to me was that this wedding story evolved over the past 40 years or so. I haven't been able to find anything on it older than that. Not saying it's not there, only, over the years that I've looked, I've never found it.

I first heard this in Calvary Chapel, and over the course of the 35+ years I've been paying attention, I've heard it told and retold, more details added as the years go by. I just can't seem to find any historical sources.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to!

Much love!
"The Social Life of a Jew in the Time of Christ". London: Church Missions To The Jews, 1929 by Keith Elijah Khodada

"The Passover at the Time of Christ", Miami, Fl. Hard Press Pub. Reprented from London Jews Society, 1909
K. E. Khodada

"Manners and Customs of Bible Lands" Chicago, Il. Moody Press, 1953 by Fred H. Wight

"The Ancient Near East; An Anthology of Texts and Pictures, Israel" Princeton Univ. Press, 1958. James A. Pritchard

Have fun at the library ... a large one!

David in NJ

Jul 20, 2021
Denville
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is not a knot. We are the bride not the wife yet.
SEE post #9 and #17 and then read the exact words of Christ in John ch14 and John ch17

the Scripture cannot lie and the Truth is in the Scripture - not in a earthbound wedding.

CLUE = think on the words of Christ and not on fleshly intercourse but on what Jesus says makes us ONE(intercourse) with Him.

It has the SAME implication but VOID of the flesh.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good luck in your search for historical accuracy. You'll need it, because the story has been stretched in an attempt to manufacture a workable narrative. I don't fault folks for doing this-- the early church did the same thing and you can find all kinds of examples in the NT.
I've looks over the years and come up empty, but I'll be interested if anyone has any sources.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"The Social Life of a Jew in the Time of Christ". London: Church Missions To The Jews, 1929 by Keith Elijah Khodada

"The Passover at the Time of Christ", Miami, Fl. Hard Press Pub. Reprented from London Jews Society, 1909
K. E. Khodada

"Manners and Customs of Bible Lands" Chicago, Il. Moody Press, 1953 by Fred H. Wight

"The Ancient Near East; An Anthology of Texts and Pictures, Israel" Princeton Univ. Press, 1958. James A. Pritchard

Have fun at the library ... a large one!
Do these contain the source material on this custom?

Much love!