A look at Luke Chapter 16 - May God Guide this for you by the spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Parable of the Dishonest Manager​

Luk 16:1 And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods.
Jesus starts talking about a parable of the dishonest manager.

Luk 15:1 Then drew near unto him all the publicans and sinners for to hear him.

Luk 15:2 And the Pharisees and scribes murmured, saying, This man receiveth sinners, and eateth with them.

There Pharisees and scribes and also publicans, and sinners, were also still around.

As Jesus continue talking, he said also looking towards his disciples saying " There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods". An overseer is defined as :
oikonomos

oy-kon-om'-os

From G3624 and the base of G3551; a house distributor (that is, manager), or overseer, that is, an employee in that capacity; by extension a fiscal agent (treasurer); figuratively a preacher (of the Gospel): - chamberlain, governor, steward

Luk 16:2 And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.
And the rich man, called him and said, how is it that I hear this of thee? (For wasting my goods)? - Give to me an account of thy stewardship; for thou may not be no longer steward. Now the one whom wasted the rich mans goods, is now taken away from having stewardship, took away his job. Fired.
Luk 16:3 Then the steward said within himself, What shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
Then the steward said within himself (inside of his soul,) what shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.
Luk 16:4 I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
He continues to say, I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.
Luk 16:5 So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?
So he called everyone of his lord's (A title), debtors unto him, and said unto the first, how much. owes thou unto my lord?
Luk 16:6 And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
And he said unto the one whom had came to him to collect the debt, a hundred measures of oil. And he said to him, take your big, and sit down quickly and write fifty.
Luk 16:7 Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
Then the debtor said to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, an hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, take thy bill, and write fourscore.
Luk 16:8 And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.
And the lord commended the unjust steward, and because he had done wisely, for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

(Note here of how the children of this world are wiser than the children of light). That is why many people would rather maybe not believe in God. They are wiser than those of the light. Not to say the light can not overcome, because indeed it can, especially the light of all mankind, Jesus Christ.
Luk 16:9 And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
And the lord, continue having said, Make yourselves friends with the mammon of unrighteousness, that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
Luk 16:10 He that is faithful in that which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least is unjust also in much.
He that is faithful in which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in the much.
Luk 16:11 If therefore ye have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
Jesus goes on to say: If therefore you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?
Luk 16:12 And if ye have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
And if you have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?
Luk 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one, and love the other, or else he will hold to the one, who and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

The Law and the Kingdom of God​

Luk 16:14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these thing: and they derided him.
Luk 16:15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
And Jesus says to them, Ye are that which justify yourselves before men,

but God knows your hearts, for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
Luk 16:16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.

The law and the prophets were until John, since that time the Kingdom of God is preached, and every man presses into it.
Luk 16:17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
It is easier for heaven and earth (the temple), than one tittle of the law to fail. (he would fulfill)

Divorce and Remarriage​

Luk 16:18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

Whosover puts away his wife, and marries another, commits adultery, and whosoever marries her that is put away from her husband commits adultery.

Speaking of those who would love the law, over Christ. Marrying the old wife that was going to put away, which Christ would be fulfilling.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Rich Man and Lazarus​

Luk 16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

Jesus goes on saying, there was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fin linen, and fared sumptuously ever day.

Fine living.
Luk 16:20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,
A certain beggar named Lazarus (I don't think he has died just yet or maybe he was going after to raise him?) which was at his gates, full of sores,

aches, pains, life heart, grieving
Luk 16:21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.
And desiring to be fed with crumbs which fell from the rich mans tables; mover over the dogs (those who devour possibly), came and made his life worse.
Luk 16:22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
It came to pass the beggar died, and carried by the messengers into Abraham's bosom (I believe this is in Sheol, for a place for the faithful souls of the dead in the realm of the dead which was separated from God), and the rich man, was also died and was buried. (Maybe Jesus did not say that Lazarus was buried for bringing him back to life after this?).
Luk 16:23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
And in the realm of the dead, he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, separated, seeing Abraham far off, and Lazarus in his bosom or Paradise that would be for those who were somewhat resting in peace being disembodied souls, while the separated seemed to have more woes, by torments of decisions they may have made in their own life.
Luk 16:24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
And the soul, rich man cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue' for I am tormented in this flame. (Flame of their own decisions and life choices rather than seeking God?) And he is talking to them over the chasm, asking to be able to see Lazarus and have his tongue cooled? (confessing Christ)?
Luk 16:25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
But Abraham, said Son remember that thou in thy lifetime received thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted, and those art tormented.
Luk 16:26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
And beside all of this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that which would pace from here to you cannot, and neither can they pass to us, that would come from there.
Luk 16:27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:
And then he said, I pray thee therefore father, that thou would sent me him to my father's house.
Luk 16:28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

Luk 16:29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

Luk 16:30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

Luk 16:31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Just will leave the rest here, thank you for viewing.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This really does solve the case of if Rich man and Lazarus is literal or a parable. Seems if pharisees and sinners and publicans were around listening to these sayings, it would be indeed a parable, but what of? My understanding is the state of the realm of the dead and what it is like.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The information here is good and very telling of us as human beings and how we can be, by the prospects of the imagery of Jesus and also the pharisee and scribes and sadducces at the time.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus goes on saying, there was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fin linen, and fared sumptuously ever day.

Fine living.

A certain beggar named Lazarus (I don't think he has died just yet or maybe he was going after to raise him?) which was at his gates, full of sores,

aches, pains, life heart, grieving

And desiring to be fed with crumbs which fell from the rich mans tables; mover over the dogs (those who devour possibly), came and made his life worse.

It came to pass the beggar died, and carried by the messengers into Abraham's bosom (I believe this is in Sheol, for a place for the faithful souls of the dead in the realm of the dead which was separated from God), and the rich man, was also died and was buried. (Maybe Jesus did not say that Lazarus was buried for bringing him back to life after this?).

And in the realm of the dead, he lifted up his eyes, being in torments, separated, seeing Abraham far off, and Lazarus in his bosom or Paradise that would be for those who were somewhat resting in peace being disembodied souls, while the separated seemed to have more woes, by torments of decisions they may have made in their own life.

And the soul, rich man cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue' for I am tormented in this flame. (Flame of their own decisions and life choices rather than seeking God?) And he is talking to them over the chasm, asking to be able to see Lazarus and have his tongue cooled? (confessing Christ)?

But Abraham, said Son remember that thou in thy lifetime received thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things; but now he is comforted, and those art tormented.

And beside all of this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that which would pace from here to you cannot, and neither can they pass to us, that would come from there.

And then he said, I pray thee therefore father, that thou would sent me him to my father's house.

Just will leave the rest here, thank you for viewing.
This is a parable I have never been able to come to terms with, the man was a criminal, a thief. Instead of prosecution however, he was glorified.

The Parable of the Dishonest Manager​

Jesus starts talking about a parable of the dishonest manager.

There Pharisees and scribes and also publicans, and sinners, were also still around.

As Jesus continue talking, he said also looking towards his disciples saying " There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods". An overseer is defined as :
oikonomos

oy-kon-om'-os

From G3624 and the base of G3551; a house distributor (that is, manager), or overseer, that is, an employee in that capacity; by extension a fiscal agent (treasurer); figuratively a preacher (of the Gospel): - chamberlain, governor, steward

And the rich man, called him and said, how is it that I hear this of thee? (For wasting my goods)? - Give to me an account of thy stewardship; for thou may not be no longer steward. Now the one whom wasted the rich mans goods, is now taken away from having stewardship, took away his job. Fired.

Then the steward said within himself (inside of his soul,) what shall I do? for my lord taketh away from me the stewardship: I cannot dig; to beg I am ashamed.

He continues to say, I am resolved what to do, that, when I am put out of the stewardship, they may receive me into their houses.

So he called everyone of his lord's (A title), debtors unto him, and said unto the first, how much. owes thou unto my lord?

And he said unto the one whom had came to him to collect the debt, a hundred measures of oil. And he said to him, take your big, and sit down quickly and write fifty.

Then the debtor said to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, an hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, take thy bill, and write fourscore.

And the lord commended the unjust steward, and because he had done wisely, for the children of this world are in their generation wiser than the children of light.

(Note here of how the children of this world are wiser than the children of light). That is why many people would rather maybe not believe in God. They are wiser than those of the light. Not to say the light can not overcome, because indeed it can, especially the light of all mankind, Jesus Christ.

And the lord, continue having said, Make yourselves friends with the mammon of unrighteousness, that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.

He that is faithful in which is least is faithful also in much: and he that is unjust in the least, is unjust also in the much.

Jesus goes on to say: If therefore you have not been faithful in the unrighteous mammon, who will commit to your trust the true riches?

And if you have not been faithful in that which is another man's, who shall give you that which is your own?

No servant can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one, and love the other, or else he will hold to the one, who and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these thing: and they derided him.

And Jesus says to them, Ye are that which justify yourselves before men,

but God knows your hearts, for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.

The law and the prophets were until John, since that time the Kingdom of God is preached, and every man presses into it.

It is easier for heaven and earth (the temple), than one tittle of the law to fail. (he would fulfill)

Whosover puts away his wife, and marries another, commits adultery, and whosoever marries her that is put away from her husband commits adultery.

Speaking of those who would love the law, over Christ. Marrying the old wife that was going to put away, which Christ would be fulfilling.
That was a parable I could never quite get, the steward was a thief, yet Jesus commended him. Of course the message in it's proper understanding is good. Make friends with God by using this world's assets to advance the Kingdom message to the ends of the earth.

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a parable I have never been able to come to terms with, the man was a criminal, a thief. Instead of prosecution however, he was glorified.

That was a parable I could never quite get, the steward was a thief, yet Jesus commended him. Of course the message in it's proper understanding is good. Make friends with God by using this world's assets to advance the Kingdom message to the ends of the earth.
Why are you saying it's a parable when you know that's wrong? You have ZERO proof. Another Kingdom Hall messenger maybe? Even the JW Bible says you're wrong! MANY will wish it was a parable!

Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Reactions: ChristisGod

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why are you saying it's a parable when you know that's wrong? You have ZERO proof. Another Kingdom Hall messenger maybe? Even the JW Bible says you're wrong! MANY will wish it was a parable!

Matthew 25
41 Then He will also say to those on the left hand, 'Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels:
Revelation 20
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Hi Jack, first of all I was commenting on the parable of the dishonest manager that Matt posted. The verses you posted will in fact come about. I don't know how my comment got attached to two different parables he quoted unless it was because he posted them together.