A man asked me are Christians good people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I sure is a loaded question!

I would clarify so exceptions don't become rules:
  1. Do you mean good in the Biblical sense? OR
  2. Do you mean good in the general sense?
    • Jesus said no one but God is good. This includes non-Christians.
  3. Do you mean Christians who are born again, devout and follow God's will the vast majority of the time? OR
  4. Do you mean a CINO - a Christian in name only - a nominal, cultural, go to church on Xmas & Easter type Christian?
    • Some CINO's only go to church for funerals or weddings and not even on holy days.
  5. And what qualifies as good; obeying the law, seeming 'nice?' OR
  6. Doing and speaking the truth even if it hurts people's feelings and goes against secular law (like Chick-Fil-A and Hobby Lobby opposing the abortionists using government to do their bidding?

Remember...God Created the mans form...body
Remember...God Made the mans form come alive...Gods breath/soul
Remember...God called the man he Created and Made; Very Good.

Eh..the flesh of Adam defied God.
Eh..the soul in the flesh and the flesh became...Not good.

Every reproduced offspring came from Adams ...Not good seed.

Jesus, present on Earth said...no good men...True.
Jesus, offered Forgiveness for repentance of the man being made not good AND for having Not believed in God and the One He sent.

That Offering was A PROMISE WHILE Jesus was ON Earth,
to be GIVEN a man...
IF...a man repented, Declared via the Truth in his Heart, he believes in God and the One God Sent, willing to give his Body Crucified with Christ Jesus.......

Once Jesus left the earth and returned to Heaven....THEN Every man WHO fulfilled THE WORK...(BELIEF)....and THE SERVICE ...(CONFESSION)....of repentance, Belief, Give his body.........

THEN...The Lords Work....of fulling HIS PROMISE....(brief description)
...forgiveness....of Body and Soul.
...accept the mans crucified DEAD body...(wash, cover, sanctify, hide with Christ, New body, etc.)
...Circumcise the mans Heart...
...Enter Gods Spirit into the man (baptism of the HS)
...Restore the mans soul. (Back to good) (Save unto God forever)
...Quicken the mans spirit (seed of God, birth new spirit)

Man now a new creature...new body, restored soul, reborn spirit...
CONVERTED....NOW reconciled unto God...Forever WITH God.

Waits to be Redeemed...(Claimed by his Lord).

Now Good. But didn’t apply when Jesus was on Earth and said...
None are good.

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 15:45 And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a
living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

That passage is problematic for some religions (e.g. Jehovah's Witnesses)
because it reveals Christ exists as a sprit being and a physical being
simultaneously. Nevertheless it's a fact verified by John 1:1-4 and John 1:14
_

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever wondered if Christians are good people? Have you come to the conclusion that they cause many problems in the world? If you feel that way, perhaps I can help. What have you observed a Christian doing that you feel that harms others?

Hello Robert,

In my opinion anyone who claims to be Christian, will always try to strive by the spirit however that doesn't mean you or me or anyone doesn't have really bad times, and can have moody attitudes because of certain circumstances. All of us have flaws, and you and me and whoever can do good things (taking someone out to eat, write someone a letter, take out trash, help someone out), however if one is taking credit as though things make you right with God that is not the case. It is the righteousness of Christ that one believes on the one whom God raised from the dead in which a person is made right with God. Good works come by and the Spirit and what is produces which is always Love as defined in 1 Corinthians 13, also peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, forbearance, long-suffering, and all of these things come from God Himself because of the Holy Spirit that He sends through Jesus to reside with-in a persons heart. Also the Spirit of Christ resides with-in the believer who dies with Christ, is buried with Christ, and raised again with Christ and picking up the cross living by faith and walk by the Spirit.

Even if we or others have a bad day, to keep the our mind and heart on the Father, and pray in Jesus name, to help others and to help us by the spirit too. Naturally nothing good dwells in our flesh it is only by and through Spirit does Good come from because it is from God (Jehovah/Yahweh).

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever wondered if Christians are good people? Have you come to the conclusion that they cause many problems in the world? If you feel that way, perhaps I can help. What have you observed a Christian doing that you feel that harms others?
Obeying the ten commandments only and not adhering to the "Royal Law" of the sheep and goats. They don't always help the less fortunate. And sometimes end up judgmental and "holier than thou".

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Obeying the ten commandments only and not adhering to the "Royal Law" of the sheep and goats. They don't always help the less fortunate. And sometimes end up judgmental and "holier than thou".
The question should really revolve around the fact that God looks for the faith of the justified (Romans 5; Hebrews 11, etc.), not for intrinsic human merit.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The question should really revolve around the fact that God looks for the faith of the justified (Romans 5; Hebrews 11, etc.), not for intrinsic human merit.
I think he looks forward to our good works also. The acts spelled out in the sheep and goats. When we feed the hungry God gets pleasure and happiness of sorts. Likewise when we visit the sick and cloth the naked. There is a lot to do to help homeless people. Also we can visit the widows and elderly. Listen to their stories and see if they are in need of any help.

We have a lot of homeless people in my area. I see a lot of people helping the homeless people around me. And sometimes I pitch in. But I am on a modest budget and can't help like a normal person can, so often I leave the helping up to them.

Reactions: MatthewG

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I think he looks forward to our good works also. The acts spelled out in the sheep and goats. When we feed the hungry God gets pleasure and happiness of sorts. Likewise when we visit the sick and cloth the naked. There is a lot to do to help homeless people. Also we can visit the widows and elderly. Listen to their stories and see if they are in need of any help.

We have a lot of homeless people in my area. I see a lot of people helping the homeless people around me. And sometimes I pitch in. But I am on a modest budget and can't help like a normal person can, so often I leave the helping up to them.
Oh I agree; Ephesians 2.10 says as much. (It doesn't negate what Ephesians 2.8-9 say, though.)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Remember a godly living christian may be called good by many, but will be called evil by many as well. So it all depends on how one defines "good".

makes me think of 2 Corinthians 6:7-10 By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, [8] By honour and dishonour,
by evil report and good report:
as deceivers, and yet true;
As unknown, and yet well known;
as dying, and, behold, we live;
as chastened, and not killed;
As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing;
as poor, yet making many rich;
as having nothing, and yet possessing all things.
^how is that possible o_O

1 Peter 3:16-17 Having a good conscience; that, whereas they speak evil of you, as of evildoers, they may be ashamed that falsely accuse your good conversation in Christ. [17] For it is better, if the will of God be so, that you suffer for well doing, than for evil doing.

Point is … you shared “may be called good by many, but will be called evil by many as well.”
Does that mean though if you are called by many evil…then you are evil? Or is that their perspective?

Reactions: Ronald Nolette

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I agree with one thing you said- the bible does not contradict itself.

Listen to Jesus:

Luke 18:19
And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

the problem is with your understanding. You blindly accept teh conclusions of the Watchtower without being a Berean and searching the Scriptures for yourself to see if they speak truth or lies!

See the distinction Ron, you pick and choose which verses to ignore, and those you accept. Best to accept the Bible as a whole sir, and pray for understanding when you see contradictions. Since you actually think Jesus is Jehovah, and believe Jesus is no good, then obviously think Jehovah is no good, strange belief sir, I believe that I will stick to what the Bible really teaches.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Robert,

In my opinion anyone who claims to be Christian, will always try to strive by the spirit however that doesn't mean you or me or anyone doesn't have really bad times, and can have moody attitudes because of certain circumstances. All of us have flaws, and you and me and whoever can do good things (taking someone out to eat, write someone a letter, take out trash, help someone out), however if one is taking credit as though things make you right with God that is not the case. It is the righteousness of Christ that one believes on the one whom God raised from the dead in which a person is made right with God. Good works come by and the Spirit and what is produces which is always Love as defined in 1 Corinthians 13, also peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, forbearance, long-suffering, and all of these things come from God Himself because of the Holy Spirit that He sends through Jesus to reside with-in a persons heart. Also the Spirit of Christ resides with-in the believer who dies with Christ, is buried with Christ, and raised again with Christ and picking up the cross living by faith and walk by the Spirit.

Even if we or others have a bad day, to keep the our mind and heart on the Father, and pray in Jesus name, to help others and to help us by the spirit too. Naturally nothing good dwells in our flesh it is only by and through Spirit does Good come from because it is from God (Jehovah/Yahweh).

James 1:17 Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

I would definitely say you are a glass half full type, I wish I had your attitude Matt, but unfortunately I see so many who claim to be Christian, that prove false to it's power. 2 Tim 3:5

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Then why do you feel they are Christians Devin? Does their fruits reveal to you otherwise?

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then why do you feel they are Christians Devin? Does their fruits reveal to you otherwise?
Pertaining to the question in the OP. Yes I have seen Christians acting poorly at times. Not too often. And I think we need to forgive them for their faults. And some people never learn. But that is just the way the world works.

I think the point here is that if we're looking for Christians and their behavior to form our faith, we're already lost. Christ is the perfect example, and that is who we follow and look to for the definition of Christian. We don't look to and follow men, we follow God.

Matthew 19:17

King James Version

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See the distinction Ron, you pick and choose which verses to ignore, and those you accept. Best to accept the Bible as a whole sir, and pray for understanding when you see contradictions. Since you actually think Jesus is Jehovah, and believe Jesus is no good, then obviously think Jehovah is no good, strange belief sir, I believe that I will stick to what the Bible really teaches.

You need to see Bob, I accept all the verses and keep them in the whole counsel of the word of God, unloiike you where you see one verse, pull it out from the rest of Scripture and say "see the Bible calls this man good". So by you accepting this- you think Jesus at best mistaken or at worst a liar when He said there is none good but God! You call Paul a liar when He wrote under the inspiration of the Holy spirit that there is none good, no not one! And you ignore that the verses you cited wewre all the writers quoting people not god which I said is where good is ultimately defined. Godd on a human level is subject to culture, individual values, religious sentiments etc.

I think you just wanted to argue a point to argue.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would definitely say you are a glass half full type, I wish I had your attitude Matt, but unfortunately I see so many who claim to be Christian, that prove false to it's power. 2 Tim 3:5

What does Pauls Second Letter to Timothy have to do with what you are talking about? If you would like to share with me.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Pertaining to the question in the OP. Yes I have seen Christians acting poorly at times. Not too often. And I think we need to forgive them for their faults. And some people never learn. But that is just the way the world works.

I think the point here is that if we're looking for Christians and their behavior to form our faith, we're already lost. Christ is the perfect example, and that is who we follow and look to for the definition of Christian. We don't look to and follow men, we follow God.

Matthew 19:17

King James Version

17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

I agree Devin, but keep in mind if the Christian is practicing a serious sin (1 Cor 6:9,10) we can not be forgiving to them, rather we are obligated to: (Matthew 18:15-17) . . ., if your brother commits a sin, go and reveal his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, so that on the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. 17 If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to see Bob, I accept all the verses and keep them in the whole counsel of the word of God, unloiike you where you see one verse, pull it out from the rest of Scripture and say "see the Bible calls this man good". So by you accepting this- you think Jesus at best mistaken or at worst a liar when He said there is none good but God! You call Paul a liar when He wrote under the inspiration of the Holy spirit that there is none good, no not one! And you ignore that the verses you cited wewre all the writers quoting people not god which I said is where good is ultimately defined. Godd on a human level is subject to culture, individual values, religious sentiments etc.

I think you just wanted to argue a point to argue.

That was exactly my point Ron, you refused to see the 4 passages I posted that showed men as being good. All the verses must harmonize together, as we both have agreed that the Bible does not contradict itself. Therefore since they seemingly do in this case, an alternate understanding is a fact sir. If Jesus is truly not good, then the one who he perfectly imitated and is one with is not good either. You need to recognize what he meant by saying that, and it is as simple as the fact that Jehovah is the epitome of Good, whereas the rest of us simply copy Him in our goodness, but not one of us including Jesus will ever be good to the superlative degree that Jehovah is.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does Pauls Second Letter to Timothy have to do with what you are talking about? If you would like to share with me.
Read your comment to me, and then compare it to the passage Matt. Christians that have a form of Godly devotion, but prove false to it's power are not Christians at all. Both you and I would love to see those that call themselves Christians to actually be that, the difference here is that you believe they are, and I recognize them for who they are. One not obeying the gospel, is definitely not a Christian no matter how many times they say they are, nor their friends saying they are either. Christians as well as those of the world are recognized by their fruits.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree Devin, but keep in mind if the Christian is practicing a serious sin (1 Cor 6:9,10) we can not be forgiving to them, rather we are obligated to: (Matthew 18:15-17) . . ., if your brother commits a sin, go and reveal his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, so that on the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. 17 If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.
I'm not in the habit of pointing out peoples faults or judging others. I know it is prescribed in the bible, but the bible also points that you will be judged for it. Especially if we act as a hypocrite. Meaning that if we have faults then we would be a hypocrite to point out other peoples faults.

Given the nature of the Royal Law of love God and love your neighbor which is spelled out in the sheep and goats, together with the 10 commandments. I think we all will have faults at times.

James 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

So it would be prudent to give our brothers some space to repent on their own. And I think if we're going to church and hearing the scriptures daily, eventually it will sink in that the sinner is sinning and that they need to repent. I think pointing out faults can become obnoxious. A better approach is to encourage someone to go to church to hear the message. Then they can come to the understanding of the law themselves. If you give a horse water it will drink for a day, if you bring them to a water source and let them find it for themselves they will drink for a lifetime?