A man asked me are Christians good people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever wondered if Christians are good people? Have you come to the conclusion that they cause many problems in the world? If you feel that way, perhaps I can help. What have you observed a Christian doing that you feel that harms others?

Reactions: ScottA and Matthias

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exhibit A. These forums.

Do you have a particular post that has hurt you Matt? I understand what you mean about many who post on forums, but I can tell you that among all the "Christian" forums that I have posted on, this one is my favorite, and has the tamest crowd. I would really like to contribute to them, but as yet have been unsuccessful in doing so. This is really a great site sir.

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
Do you have a particular post that has hurt you Matt? I understand what you mean about many who post on forums, but I can tell you that among all the "Christian" forums that I have posted on, this one is my favorite, and has the tamest crowd. I would really like to contribute to them, but as yet have been unsuccessful in doing so. This is really a great site sir.

No. I’m secure in my Christian faith. The only Christian (or non-Christian, for that matter) here who can hurt me is me. I was speaking generically.

All “Christian” discussion forums have Christians behaving as Christians should and Christians behaving as Christians shouldn’t. If it weren’t so there would be no need for moderator intervention in conversations involving Christians.

I’ve been posting on “Christian” discussion forums since the mid-90’s. Some are better than others. In my opinion, this is one of the better forums.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A man asked me are Christians good people?

Sort of a loaded question.

Christian denotes A; believer, follower, WHO can at any time, sin against God, use the Advocate Jesus’ Name and ask and be granted forgiveness, AND or at any time fall away from belief...

So, sure a Christian can be a good person on some days, and maybe not on other days. He may one day be quite as ease to invoke God on any conversation and on other days...make you wonder IF he is a believer.

IMO, you would have a better experience per relationships, business deals, etc. with a person who is Converted.

Fact is not every Christian is Converted.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: shortangel

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Have you ever wondered if Christians are good people? Have you come to the conclusion that they cause many problems in the world? If you feel that way, perhaps I can help. What have you observed a Christian doing that you feel that harms others?
I'd like to hear the story about the man who asked

Reactions: Blue Dragonfly's

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Perhaps you should also ask in the Non-Christian area of the forums.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
www.CheeseburgersWithGod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am glad you feel that way.

But the fangs do come out...I don't mean some turn over tables in righteous anger. But rather that some having the label of would-be loving "Christian", go from that to [respond] in hatred, and even to unrighteousness, wickedness, maliciousness, envy, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness, backbiting, pride, boasting, and unforgiveness...which are named in the scriptures as "not fitting" (Romans 1:28).

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

By Teaching God is a respecter of persons who only loves and sticks with own kind.

Reactions: Lambano

Webers_Home

Apr 12, 2012
Oregon
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some time ago, a pastor in Arizona utilized a highway billboard to poll
people's opinion not of Christianity, rather; what people think of Christians.
Here's the gist of his message:

DESCRIBE CHRISTIANS WITH ONE WORD
Text Me-- 480-630-1152

The results of the poll can be viewed via Instagram @ iamlandonmacdonald
(all lower case letters)

Some responses:

Hateful
Gullible
Ignorant
Satanist
Judgmental
Hypocritical

I haven't responded to the poll; but if I do, my one word would be
Defensive, or quite possibly Reactive or Militant.
_

Reactions: shortangel

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Living in their human nature which God sees as dead and buried instead of the new life given to a believer by God through the Spirit. That always does harm in some measure.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'd like to hear the story about the man who asked
Wasn't much to it Bey, I was bicycling on a bike trail and passed an older gentleman who was walking, on the return trip he had made quite a bit of progress, so I stopped to commend him, and I don't remember how this came up, but he asked a great question about why God allows wickedness to prevail, so naturally I started to explain the whys, as well of the wisdom behind it. He was observant that many wars were religious by nature, basically attributing it to Christians, so we had an excellent 10 minute discussion. There are many people that believe that religion should be outlawed sir. In fact look for it in the near future on a large scale, likely headed up by the UN as it is already starting in some countries.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am glad you feel that way.

But the fangs do come out...I don't mean some turn over tables in righteous anger. But rather that some having the label of would-be loving "Christian", go from that to [respond] in hatred, and even to unrighteousness, wickedness, maliciousness, envy, strife, deceit, evil-mindedness, backbiting, pride, boasting, and unforgiveness...which are named in the scriptures as "not fitting" (Romans 1:28).

Yes sir, Jesus was very zealous in those who disrespected his God. In fact, Jesus' followers are quite disturbed by those who bring reproach on Jehovah's name as well, especially if one of us do it. I will personally rejoice when God puts it into the hearts of the Kings of the earth to destroy babylon the great, I truly look forward to that day, so heeding God's warning it is imperative that those who are supporting her get out of her now. Rev 17:15-18:6

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By Teaching God is a respecter of persons who only loves and sticks with own kind.

I am struggling to understand what you find bad in that maam. I am sure that since you live in a world in which God has allowed people to be their own god, that you can foresee the outcome. Are you not observing that we are heading to extinction? Why do you think that God should allow the wicked to reside with the righteous? You have always impressed me as having Bible knowledge maam, you know that there is a reason why Jesus spoke about sheep and goats; wheat and weeds, soil types, etc. I think you really know that righteous people cannot reside with unrighteous, it simply is not working.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Living in their human nature which God sees as dead and buried instead of the new life given to a believer by God through the Spirit. That always does harm in some measure.

That is true for sure Ron. I will say however, that there are many good people in the world who are not Christians that I am very happy as having as my neighbors. I think most people try to be peaceable, who just desire to raise their families and enjoy life, and treat others well. Paul once phased it this way: (Romans 2:14, 15) 14 For when people of the nations, who do not have law, do by nature the things of the law, these people, although not having law, are a law to themselves. 15 They are the very ones who demonstrate the matter of the law to be written in their hearts. . .

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am struggling to understand what you find bad in that maam. I am sure that since you live in a world in which God has allowed people to be their own god, that you can foresee the outcome. Are you not observing that we are heading to extinction? Why do you think that God should allow the wicked to reside with the righteous? You have always impressed me as having Bible knowledge maam, you know that there is a reason why Jesus spoke about sheep and goats; wheat and weeds, soil types, etc. I think you really know that righteous people cannot reside with unrighteous, it simply is not working.

While we were (yet) without strength, He became weak that we might be made strong. I read it over and over. You asked a question of if Christians are good people. You asked what have you observed Christian’s doing that has harmed others. Only an observation but while sitting at a church dinner, fellowship dinner, around the table each spoke… “my family refuses God. Oh well, I’ve tried.” Then happy smiles of praising God “thank God I’m chosen to be with Him. They are going to burn in hell and wish they had listened to me.” So casually… I hear all the time how Christ Jesus set with sinners, ate with them. how while He walked through a crowd …He stopped at the most wounded, the most critical. Not to mention the ones He chose as His disciples…fishermen, a tax collector… so yea you asked for an opinion, and for me the most damaging is becoming blinded in our own supposed righteous goodness that we snub our noses and look down on others we consider beneath, exhalation of ourselves. To me that is a contradiction: righteousness goodness that does harm to our neighbor…how good is that?

Reactions: Lambano

Lambano

Jul 13, 2021
Island of Misfit Toys
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I am struggling to understand what you find bad in that maam.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. (Matthew 5:43-48)

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
am struggling to understand what you find bad in that maam. I am sure that since you live in a world in which God has allowed people to be their own god, that you can foresee the outcome.

My feet still hit the floor every morning—even in the midst of depression— for a foreseen better outcome. A better outcome is the only reason to me to keep getting out of bed. Hope.

I adore 2 Corinthians 13:7 for help by an example given…not in mere words…but through application, the doing of: The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, and to depart from evil.

“we pray to God that you do no evil; not that we ourselves may appear approved, but that you may do what is right…even though we may appear unapproved (I trust you will know we are not unapproved).

we rejoice when we ourselves are weak,
But you made strong
This we pray for, that you be made complete.” “Do no evil.”

to me …there is an action prayed for there…their doing of “do no evil” “we hope you do no wrong” upon who?
For the “beginning of the fear of God and Wisdom (that comes from above) is to depart from evil” …this we pray …be made complete. Is Paul urging as God instructed Paul …my strength is made perfect in weakness. Paul not praying that “we ourselves might appear approved” but this prayer “that you be made complete” a “good work unto God” “that needs not to be ashamed” …that whole passage reminds me of take the beam out of your own eye, before you can see clearly to help your brother take the beam out of his. (Not as the blind leading the blind): “Depart from evil” “do no wrong” “do what is right in the sight of God”…Paul keeps praying for their completion. Even though it seems they may want to do evil…be made complete in Him, be made Strong in Him from this One …the wisdom given from above, is the beginning to do no evil. To depart from evil.

you asked what damage…
Christians appearing strong for the intent: that others be made to appear as weak. Why?

instead of: “Christians” appearing weak (I trust you will know we are not unapproved): for the intent of “not that we appear approved” …but that you may be given the opportunity to depart from evil and do what is good in the sight of God, that you be made strong in our weakness. This is our bond of Love to you…for your benefit knowing the beginning of the wisdom that is from above is to fear God and to depart from evil. Elsewhere Paul urges “I do you no harm”, “I did you no evil” “I did you no damage” “did I overcharge you?” then again urges “also I pray you do no harm”.

damaging messages in Christianity? They profess they know God, but in works they deny him, being abominable, disobedient, and to every good work reprobate.
(See Paul) ironically having a “thorn” in the flesh, how then can he see so clearly to help those who also have a thorn, overcome the thorn? “I pray you do no evil” “though we appear weak” “be made strong”

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My feet still hit the floor every morning—even in the midst of depression— for a foreseen better outcome. A better outcome is the only reason to me to keep getting out of bed. Hope.

I adore 2 Corinthians 13:7 for help by an example given…not in mere words…but through application, the doing of: The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom, and to depart from evil.

“we pray to God that you do no evil; not that we ourselves may appear approved, but that you may do what is right…even though we may appear unapproved (I trust you will know we are not unapproved).

we rejoice when we ourselves are weak,
But you made strong
This we pray for, that you be made complete.” “Do no evil.”

to me …there is an action prayed for there…their doing of “do no evil” “we hope you do no wrong” upon who?
For the “beginning of the fear of God and Wisdom (that comes from above) is to depart from evil” …this we pray …be made complete. Is Paul urging as God instructed Paul …my strength is made perfect in weakness. Paul not praying that “we ourselves might appear approved” but this prayer “that you be made complete” a “good work unto God” “that needs not to be ashamed” …that whole passage reminds me of take the beam out of your own eye, before you can see clearly to help your brother take the beam out of his. (Not as the blind leading the blind): “Depart from evil” “do no wrong” “do what is right in the sight of God”…Paul keeps praying for their completion. Even though it seems they may want to do evil…be made complete in Him, be made Strong in Him from this One …the wisdom given from above, is the beginning to do no evil. To depart from evil.

you asked what damage…
Christians appearing strong for the intent: that others be made to appear as weak. Why?

instead of: “Christians” appearing weak (I trust you will know we are not unapproved): for the intent of “not that we appear approved” …but that you may be given the opportunity to depart from evil and do what is good in the sight of God, that you be made strong in our weakness. This is our bond of Love to you…for your benefit knowing the beginning of the wisdom that is from above is to fear God and to depart from evil. Elsewhere Paul urges “I do you no harm”, “I did you no evil” “I did you no damage” “did I overcharge you?” then again urges “also I pray you do no harm”.

damaging messages in Christianity? They profess they know God, but in works they deny him, being abominable, disobedient, and to every good work reprobate.
(See Paul) ironically having a “thorn” in the flesh, how then can he see so clearly to help those who also have a thorn, overcome the thorn? “I pray you do no evil” “though we appear weak” “be made strong”

2 Corinthians 5:18-21 And all things are of God, who has reconciled us to himself by Jesus Christ, and has given to us the ministry of reconciliation (reason enough to get out of bed!) ; [19] To wit, that God was in Christ, reconciling the world unto himself, not imputing their trespasses unto them; and has committed unto us the word of reconciliation. [20] Now then we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God did beseech you by us: we pray you in Christ's stead, be you reconciled to God. (The beginning of that wisdom which comes down from above, is to depart from evil) [21] For he has made him to be sin for us (appearing as unapproved), who knew no sin (yet I pray you know not unapproved but Approved of God), that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.