A man asked me are Christians good people?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I agree Devin, but keep in mind if the Christian is practicing a serious sin (1 Cor 6:9,10) we can not be forgiving to them, rather we are obligated to: (Matthew 18:15-17) . . ., if your brother commits a sin, go and reveal his fault between you and him alone. If he listens to you, you have gained your brother. 16 But if he does not listen, take along with you one or two more, so that on the testimony of two or three witnesses every matter may be established. 17 If he does not listen to them, speak to the congregation. If he does not listen even to the congregation, let him be to you just as a man of the nations and as a tax collector.
If this is in reference to teaching false doctrine then it's one of those "kick the dust off your shoes and don't go back" things. We can express our beliefs, but if they don't accept them then there is nothing we can do. It becomes pointless to keep arguing really. And the arguing can turn sinful in my belief system.

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That was exactly my point Ron, you refused to see the 4 passages I posted that showed men as being good. All the verses must harmonize together, as we both have agreed that the Bible does not contradict itself. Therefore since they seemingly do in this case, an alternate understanding is a fact sir. If Jesus is truly not good, then the one who he perfectly imitated and is one with is not good either. You need to recognize what he meant by saying that, and it is as simple as the fact that Jehovah is the epitome of Good, whereas the rest of us simply copy Him in our goodness, but not one of us including Jesus will ever be good to the superlative degree that Jehovah is.

Men can be called good in the bible as they are- but that does not mean good before god. All men have a sin nature and thus cannot please God until being born again and made a new creature in Christ. Good is a relative term depending whom you are reffering to who calls them good.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read your comment to me, and then compare it to the passage Matt. Christians that have a form of Godly devotion, but prove false to it's power are not Christians at all. Both you and I would love to see those that call themselves Christians to actually be that, the difference here is that you believe they are, and I recognize them for who they are. One not obeying the gospel, is definitely not a Christian no matter how many times they say they are, nor their friends saying they are either. Christians as well as those of the world are recognized by their fruits.

Hm… the only case for me here is not to judge. Hard to do without Christ Jesus helping.

There sure are far better Christians out there compared to myself…

When they receive there reward I hope they are happy with the result come with the spiritual resurrection body God will give to each person…

Good or bad, and those who don’t have faith never wanted anything to do with God in the first place.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Do you have a particular post that has hurt you Matt? I understand what you mean about many who post on forums, but I can tell you that among all the "Christian" forums that I have posted on, this one is my favorite, and has the tamest crowd. I would really like to contribute to them, but as yet have been unsuccessful in doing so. This is really a great site sir.
Robert....I would like to take you seriously however, the things you put out, discount that...... I am sorry to say.
It's because Christians put out stuff of this nature (amongst other things) that the world at large has a miserable view of them while the Christians themselves think they are God's gift to the world.
Self honesty it seems, is still a long way off.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm not in the habit of pointing out peoples faults or judging others. I know it is prescribed in the bible, but the bible also points that you will be judged for it. Especially if we act as a hypocrite. Meaning that if we have faults then we would be a hypocrite to point out other peoples faults.

Given the nature of the Royal Law of love God and love your neighbor which is spelled out in the sheep and goats, together with the 10 commandments. I think we all will have faults at times.

James 2:10 For whoever shall keep the whole law, and yet stumble in one point, he is guilty of all.

So it would be prudent to give our brothers some space to repent on their own. And I think if we're going to church and hearing the scriptures daily, eventually it will sink in that the sinner is sinning and that they need to repent. I think pointing out faults can become obnoxious. A better approach is to encourage someone to go to church to hear the message. Then they can come to the understanding of the law themselves. If you give a horse water it will drink for a day, if you bring them to a water source and let them find it for themselves they will drink for a lifetime?

Following God's word is much more important than our own desires sir. Obedience is the key.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If this is in reference to teaching false doctrine then it's one of those "kick the dust off your shoes and don't go back" things. We can express our beliefs, but if they don't accept them then there is nothing we can do. It becomes pointless to keep arguing really. And the arguing can turn sinful in my belief system.

Reasoning is the term I use, and of course the Bible has the answer, but if someone's mind is closed obviously they will not reason, so you are quite correct, time to kick the dust of your feet for sure.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Men can be called good in the bible as they are- but that does not mean good before god. All men have a sin nature and thus cannot please God until being born again and made a new creature in Christ. Good is a relative term depending whom you are reffering to who calls them good.

None of us live up to God's standards Ron, including born again Christians. But they are no doubt exemplary, as Jehovah would not have chosen them and given them immortality in the heavens if they were otherwise no doubt.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hm… the only case for me here is not to judge. Hard to do without Christ Jesus helping.

There sure are far better Christians out there compared to myself…

When they receive there reward I hope they are happy with the result come with the spiritual resurrection body God will give to each person…

Good or bad, and those who don’t have faith never wanted anything to do with God in the first place.

Only those who go to heaven will receive spirit bodies Matt. All Christians make judgments every day, that is certainly a part of living, and a cop out for many persons in their responsibilities toward God as well.

Robert Gwin

Mar 19, 2021
Central Il
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Robert....I would like to take you seriously however, the things you put out, discount that...... I am sorry to say.
It's because Christians put out stuff of this nature (amongst other things) that the world at large has a miserable view of them while the Christians themselves think they are God's gift to the world.
Self honesty it seems, is still a long way off.

Truth is truth Thinkr, I do my utmost to post truth at all times. Perhaps you might give an example of something that I have "put out" that is not true, especially if it is unscriptural sir.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I fully agree for a fact Drop. Can you actually picture a world where everyone was a true Christian?

Yup, and we know the way there..:)-
Jesus said- "My Father’s house has many rooms..I am going there to prepare a place for you..
You know the way to the place where I am going.”
Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”
Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me" (John 14:2-6)

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Truth is truth Thinkr, I do my utmost to post truth at all times. Perhaps you might give an example of something that I have "put out" that is not true, especially if it is unscriptural sir.
What we call truth is our truth ie, how we understand. That's a long way from 'the truth' although our ego's don't want to admit it. How we understand is a work in progress and then only when there is the courage of self honesty.

Examples?.....if I could be bothered going through your posts I would present them but frankly, I couldn't be bothered hashing through the posts. Suffice it to say, my earlier comment of 'putting out' is a summary of some of the posts I've read of yours.

Additionally, scripture is easily manipulated by variety of practises ie, misplaced context, omissions, skewed assumptions to mention a few. Statements like 'unscriptural' carry a subjective bias....and judgement.
I don't doubt that you are sincere in your beliefs, however, sincerity is not synonymous with truth. Any one of us can be sincerely wrong/mislead.

All that said, I am happy to engage if paradigm is not set up as sacrosanct, if self honesty is the priority and a willingness is present to explore the uniqueness of Jesus and his words......putting aside denominational overlays.......and of course that can only be done if there is a consciousness of them.
Thank you for your ears.

Last edited:

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Only those who go to heaven will receive spirit bodies Matt. All Christians make judgments every day, that is certainly a part of living, and a cop out for many persons in their responsibilities toward God as well.

If you are God and can Judge by all means do so. However according to Jesus there is a resurrection for the unjust and the just. Because of this I do not believe what you stated which seems to be simply an opinion. This is not an attack however simply a observation from what Jesus does say, compared to what man may say - about "Heaven" - all people will receive a resurrection and according to Revelation and what is shared there by the Apostle John is there are two places people will be, outside the gate of the Heavenly Jerusalem and those who go in because of Faith.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
thats false and no such thing as a "spirit" body.

Post Resurrection- Jesus said a "spirit" does not have FLESH and BONES as you see I have- touch Me and see, place your finger into MY SIDE.

hope this helps !!!

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
It's atheist robots that worry me..

View attachment 25915

That caused me to think about something that happened to me in High School.

I drew a cartoon in class one day. The cartoon had three panels. In the first panel a man was down on his knees, pleading with a terrifying-looking robot not to kill him. In the second panel the smirking robot said to the terrifed-looking man, “GIGO”. In the third panel the robot was laughing, and there was a pile of smoldering ashes in front of him where previously the man had been.

The thought that the robot was an atheist hadn’t crossed my mind at the time.

I slipped the cartoon to one of my friends and he laughed out loud. The teacher asked him what was going on and, juvenile that he was, he told her nothing was going on. His answer did not suffice. The teacher told him to bring the paper he was holding in his hand, my cartoon, to her. He did.

She looked at it and blushed, then asked if he was the one who drew the cartoon. Of course he wasn’t going to take the fall for me and pointed me out as the culprit. That earned me, cartoon in hand, a trip to the principal’s office.

The principal looked at the cartoon, laughed, and told me to think about what I had done while he was doing what he had to do.

I did, but it didn’t help much.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
..In the first panel a man was down on his knees, pleading with a terrifying-looking robot not to kill him. In the second panel the smirking robot said to the terrifed-looking man, “GIGO”. In the third panel the robot was laughing, and there was a pile of smoldering ashes in front of him where previously the man had been..

I don't get it !
GIGO harmlessly means 'garbage in garbage out' doesn't it, so why did the woman teacher blush, and the principal punish you?

Matthias

May 3, 2022
Kentucky
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
I don't get it !
GIGO harmlessly means 'garbage in garbage out' doesn't it…

Yes. The “garbage in” was the man’s pleading to the merciless robot. The “garbage out” was the pile of ashes that needed to be swept up after the robot incinerated the man.

Remember, I was a juvenile. It’s juvenile humor.

…so why did the woman teacher blush…

She later told my mother that she thought it was humorous but didn’t want to laugh. I suppose it was connected with that. All I saw was her face turn red.

…and the principal punish you?

He punished me for not paying attention and for disrupting the class.

It was nothing compared with what I received when my dad found out about it.