A new Catholic perspective

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
(Peacebewithyou;22309)
So by honoring Mary, Catholics are somehow no longer honoring Jesus??? Is that what you are trying to say? What about if I honor my own mother? Does that take away the honor from my Lord? What if I honor my husband? My children? There are lots of people in my life I honor besides God. Do you really believe He's jealous of the honor I give to others and we are to honor no one but Him? Or it is just His Blessed Mother you have a problem with?
What did Jesus do when a woman blessed His mother? Did He not redirected her gaze "rather" to hearing the word of God and keeping it? Yes or no?Luke 11: 27And it came to pass, as he spake these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast sucked. 28But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of God, and keep it.What did Jesus say after that?Luke 11: 29And when the people were gathered thick together, he began to say, This is an evil generation: they seek a sign; and there shall no sign be given it, but the sign of Jonas the prophet. 30For as Jonas was a sign unto the Ninevites, so shall also the Son of man be to this generation.Can the apparitions of Mary turn those that honor Mary to worship? It already has. Church doctrines in the catechism supports it. They were posted for you in that post taken from your catechism. So to abstain from all appearances of evil, one must not honor Mary for she does not seek it "now", nor even in Heaven. She will be blessed by all generations for what God did to her and that is what she was singing about, not giving a commandment, just as everyone else would be considered blessed by what God did to us as Our Saviour. I know Mary is not going to be stuck-up nor given a swell head in Heaven. There is a difference in calling someone blessed for what God did to her than "honoring" her as if to praise her. You can call someone blessed without praising them, but praising God. AND she sang that she was blessed because of what God did to her in that the Saviour was being born through her... not the "saviour" was being born through Her. Quite a difference between blessing someone and honoring someone. I believe because of the apparitions, Mary would say also, honor the Son, not her. If such honor was to be practised, how come new believers did not do so after the resurrection of Jsus Christ when she was still alive? Thus the focus cannot be divided in honoring Mary with Jesus. That is also a big difference when honoring or respecting your parents or others around you. This honor towards Mary is pertaining to God and thus cannot be so for deceptions are already at work to turn that honor to worship. Your catechism supports this.1 Corinthians 1: 29That no flesh should glory in his presence. 30But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: 31That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.So how do you read John 5:22,23? Does nott the honor here refers to how one honors God the Father? Thus when you stop honoring the Son by honoring Mary, you are no longer honoring the Father. Again, you cannot honor the Father or God by honoring Mary. His Word says so below. John 5: 22For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son: 23That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Pariah

Nov 10, 2007
Hi kriss,I believe the honoring thing is in regards to God. We cannot honor God except through the Son. When people "honor" Mary, it pertains to God and thus the reason why Jesus referred that woman blessing His mother to hearing the Word of God and keeping it. Honoring parents as in respecting them is one thing. Respecting others is another. But no flesh shall glory in His prescence. Everyone shall be considered "blessed" because of what God did to us and thus we shall all glory in the Lord.Thus the honoring Jesus is referring to is the honor given to God only as one that leads to glory in the things that pertains to God. Hearing the word of God and keeping it would be the same instructions Jesus would give us as He gave that woman blessing His mother.John 5: 39Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. 40And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life. 41I receive not honour from men. 42But I know you, that ye have not the love of God in you. 43I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive. 44How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only? 45Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. 47But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?And because of the apparitions of Mary popping up over the world to turn that honor to worship, we can see the need to abstain from all apearances of evil and redirect every believer's attention to honoring Jesus "rather than" Mary.