A very Happy Mother's Day to all mothers

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On this day of honoring mothers, I am remembering a story about my own mother [who died in 2006]. As a young schoolgirl, my mother [born in 1923] was a good student and an excellent speller, although she only completed the 8th grade. During that period of time that was probably more education than many others of that era received. She grew up in hard times including what is named the Great Depression. Her family like many families survived by growing large gardens for vegetables.
In spite of the difficulties, she attended school those few years and did well... She did so well in Wewoka, Oklahoma that when the time came for a statewide spelling bee to be held Oklahoma City, she qualified. Many years later she told us, her family, how embarrassed she was, because she had to attend barefooted. Like a lot of youngsters during that time period, she did not own a pair of shoes. She attended the spelling bee barefooted and became the Oklahoma state spelling champion.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Happy mothers day. I miss my own mother, she was the kindest and most Godly woman I knew. She was a nurse and spent her life caring for others.

21ac2c5691ad5e4751ef3c377d2bcb56.jpg

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
On this day of honoring mothers, I am remembering a story about my own mother [who died in 2006]. As a young schoolgirl, my mother [born in 1923] was a good student and an excellent speller, although she only completed the 8th grade. During that period of time that was probably more education than many others of that era received. She grew up in hard times including what is named the Great Depression. Her family like many families survived by growing large gardens for vegetables.
In spite of the difficulties, she attended school those few years and did well... She did so well in Wewoka, Oklahoma that when the time came for a statewide spelling bee to be held Oklahoma City, she qualified. Many years later she told us, her family, how embarrassed she was, because she had to attend barefooted. Like a lot of youngsters during that time period, she did not own a pair of shoes. She attended the spelling bee barefooted and became the Oklahoma state spelling champion.
Wow John, that is an awesome memory! They had to eat lard sandwiches I was told, during TGD.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its hard to tell which one you look like . best guess is you look more like the sister .
That picture has to be about a hundred years old , or close to it .
Es la dia de las madres . And to all our sisters who never had children , WE LOVE YOU TOO dear sisters .
WHO is my mother , my brother or my sister , THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN THE GLORIOUS LORD . SO
even the barren believer has many children too .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow John, that is an awesome memory! They had to eat lard sandwiches I was told, during TGD.
As to how bad it was for them specifically, I do not know many more details, as my mother would not say much about it. She did say they rarely had any money at all. Things were very cheap, but cheap is meaningless if you have no money at all. The garden was survival!

Reactions: Nancy

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Its hard to tell which one you look like . best guess is you look more like the sister .
That picture has to be about a hundred years old , or close to it .
Es la dia de las madres . And to all our sisters who never had children , WE LOVE YOU TOO dear sisters .
WHO is my mother , my brother or my sister , THOSE WHO BELIEVE IN THE GLORIOUS LORD . SO
even the barren believer has many children too .
Yes, but here are a couple of older ones...

Reactions: amigo de christo

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My mother at 2 months old. She was born in Sept. 1923View attachment 22400
Mama must have lived to be around eighty two or three .
How old was your pops when he departed this earth . If they believed in Christ they are in a far , far better place my friend .
One day all the lambs throughout all ages will be together with the LORD who has saved them .
This last generation must go out faithful as the first generation did and all lambs have done through the ages .
Oh but our end is good my friend . JESUS has conquered death for us . Let the LORD be praised my friend .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 22398
My father in Sept. 1918. He was born in February
I have a bible that my great , great , great grandmother had . She traveled in wagons across the prairie at one point .
Its an old bible my friend . It has to be around a hundred and thirty plus years .
I still ever so now and again read a bit on it . But its old and i dont want to tear it . I used to read on it a lot
and was real careful when i did . The truth is good for the souls of the believers .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 22398
My father in Sept. 1918. He was born in February
My grandmother was born in nineteen seventeen . She as a tot when the spanish flu struck .
My grandfather was born in nineteen o five . They had first hand stories of the civil war and such
from relatives . Let the LORD be praised my friend .

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mama must have lived to be around eighty two or three .
How old was your pops when he departed this earth . If they believed in Christ they are in a far , far better place my friend .
One day all the lambs throughout all ages will be together with the LORD who has saved them .
This last generation must go out faithful as the first generation did and all lambs have done through the ages .
Oh but our end is good my friend . JESUS has conquered death for us . Let the LORD be praised my friend .
Yes, my mother had just past her 83 birthday when she died. My father was about a month past his 74th birthday. I am in between them now at 78. I will be 79 in December. I believe that my father served God all of his life. My mother may have met the Lord late in her life... but I really do not know...

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have a bible that my great , great , great grandmother had . She traveled in wagons across the prairie at one point .
Its an old bible my friend . It has to be around a hundred and thirty plus years .
I still ever so now and again read a bit on it . But its old and i dont want to tear it . I used to read on it a lot
and was real careful when i did . The truth is good for the souls of the believers .
I hear you. I have two old Bibles that I keep carefully. One is a KJV that my father gave to my mother in 1940, I believe, on the occasion of their marriage. The other is a Luther Bible in the German script printed in 1921. I read that second one for a couple of years but set it aside when I obtained a new one in 2019.