Abomination of Desolation defined.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
Matthew, Mark, and Luke tell us exactly what the abomination of desolation is. But you must read them together and you must discern the time frame.

Matthew 24:15-16 KJV, “15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

Mark 13:14 KJV, “But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:

Luke 21:20-21 KJV, “20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. 21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto.

These events occurred in 70 AD when the Roman General Titus destroyed Jerusalem and executed hundreds of thousands of victims by torture and impalement on poles and trees. I believe this was the Hebrews judgment due to the cry they made at Yahoshua’s trial approximately 32 AD.

Matthew 27:25 KJV, “Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

These Jews had cursed themselves. These people and their children suffered the same torture that Christ suffered.

zeke25

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t think it’s the abomination of desolations. The Lord specifically says "this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." and then talks about the abomination of desolation.

Mt:24:8: All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9: Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
10: And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
11: And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
12: And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13: But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
14: And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
15: When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
16: Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

And then the Lord goes into things that haven’t happened yet.

Zech 14:1: Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.
2: For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
3: Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.
4: And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
5: And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.
6: And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark:
7: But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
8: And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.
9: And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

If you remember it was those who were in white that told the Apostles that Jesus would return to the very spot they seen Him go to heaven which was in the Mount of Olives.

zeke25

May 18, 2014
Western USA
DPMartin said:
I don’t think it’s the abomination of desolations. The Lord specifically says "this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come." and then talks about the abomination of desolation.

Mt:24:8: All these are the beginning of sorrows.
9: Then shall they deliver you up to be afflicted, and shall kill you: and ye shall be hated of all nations for my name's sake.
10: And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
11: And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
12: And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
13: But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
14: And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.
15: When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)
16: Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains:

And then the Lord goes into things that haven’t happened yet.

Zech 14:1: Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, and thy spoil shall be divided in the midst of thee.
2: For I will gather all nations against Jerusalem to battle; and the city shall be taken, and the houses rifled, and the women ravished; and half of the city shall go forth into captivity, and the residue of the people shall not be cut off from the city.
3: Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle.
4: And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south.
5: And ye shall flee to the valley of the mountains; for the valley of the mountains shall reach unto Azal: yea, ye shall flee, like as ye fled from before the earthquake in the days of Uzziah king of Judah: and the LORD my God shall come, and all the saints with thee.
6: And it shall come to pass in that day, that the light shall not be clear, nor dark:
7: But it shall be one day which shall be known to the LORD, not day, nor night: but it shall come to pass, that at evening time it shall be light.
8: And it shall be in that day, that living waters shall go out from Jerusalem; half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea: in summer and in winter shall it be.
9: And the LORD shall be king over all the earth: in that day shall there be one LORD, and his name one.

If you remember it was those who were in white that told the Apostles that Jesus would return to the very spot they seen Him go to heaven which was in the Mount of Olives.
DP,

If you make the mistake in thinking that the gospel accounts are chronological, when they are not (such as Matthew 24) then it doesn't make sense. But since the Abomination of Desolation is clearly defined in the verses I gave, then one must look further to explain what appear to be discrepancies but are not. Here is an excerpt from a teaching I've written.

2.a. Matthew 24:2-3 KJV, “2 And [Yahoshua] said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

In verse two, Yahoshua is speaking of the destruction of the second Temple. Then, in verse three, the disciples asked three questions:

(1) When shall these things be?

(2) What shall be the sign of thy coming?

(3) When shall be the end of the world?

It is important to understand that these disciples apparently thought that these three questions were related to each other in time. In other words, the three events would occur in the same time period. But, in spite of their erroneous perceptions, Yahoshua’s answers show that the time period of each of the questions are not necessarily the same.

2.b. In Matthew 24:4-14 Yahoshua gives the answer to questions two and three.

2.c. The first question refers to Christ’s saying that the Temple would be destroyed. He gives His answer to this question in verses 15-22.

Matthew 24:15-22 KJV, “15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

These events occurred in 70 AD when the Roman General Titus destroyed Jerusalem and executed thousands of victims by torture and impalement on poles and trees. I believe this was the Hebrews judgment due to the cry they made at Yahoshua’s trial approximately 32 AD.

Matthew 27:25 KJV, “Then answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

These Jews had cursed themselves. These people and their children suffered the same torture that Christ suffered.

2.d. Please do not be confused by the verses prior to verse 15 and after verse 22 in Matthew 24. They appear to refer to the end times, which are yet to occur. But verses 15-23 refer to 70 AD. For those who have done much Bible study, they no doubt have come across many passages in which the Holy Ghost has written events that are not in chronological order as men would prefer and understand more easily. Instead, the events are written by God Who has an infinite intelligence and sees all of history simultaneously.

I did not include Mark and Luke in this response, but the explanation is virtually the same.

zeke25

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m no prophecy scholar but it seems that people always think that the writers of the time didn’t know what they were doing or can’t write down answers in the order they were asked? Granted scripture isn’t always chronological, but that doesn’t seem to be the case here.
Or are you saying Jesus was to daft to answer the questions in the order they were asked seeing that even the questions are in the order of what would happen. Why would the questions be in proper order and Jesus couldn’t handle answering them in the same manor. Sorry it seems your justification for your interpretation or adopted interpretation doesn’t make sense,
unless it’s a attempt to make it fit a particular theology. No sense in going into discussion of the text, if the basis of you interpretation doesn’t seem sound.

Thanks for the response though.

whitestone

Apr 3, 2011
Gold Beach Oregon
zeke25 said:
DP,

If you make the mistake in thinking that the gospel accounts are chronological, when they are not (such as Matthew 24) then it doesn't make sense. But since the Abomination of Desolation is clearly defined in the verses I gave, then one must look further to explain what appear to be discrepancies but are not. Here is an excerpt from a teaching I've written.

2.a. Matthew 24:2-3 KJV, “2 And [Yahoshua] said unto them, See ye not all these things? verily I say unto you, There shall not be left here one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down. 3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?”

In verse two, Yahoshua is speaking of the destruction of the second Temple. Then, in verse three, the disciples asked three questions:

(1) When shall these things be?

(2) What shall be the sign of thy coming?

(3) When shall be the end of the world?

It is important to understand that these disciples apparently thought that these three questions were related to each other in time. In other words, the three events would occur in the same time period. But, in spite of their erroneous perceptions, Yahoshua’s answers show that the time period of each of the questions are not necessarily the same.

2.b. In Matthew 24:4-14 Yahoshua gives the answer to questions two and three.

2.c. The first question refers to Christ’s saying that the Temple would be destroyed. He gives His answer to this question in verses 15-22.

Matthew 24:15-22 KJV, “15 When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:) 16 Then let them which be in Judaea flee into the mountains: 17 Let him which is on the housetop not come down to take any thing out of his house: 18 Neither let him which is in the field return back to take his clothes. 19 And woe unto them that are with child, and to them that give suck in those days! 20 But pray ye that your flight be not in the winter, neither on the sabbath day: 21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be. 22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

These events occurred in 70 AD when the Roman General Titus destroyed Jerusalem and executed thousands of victims by torture and impalement on poles and trees. I believe this was the Hebrews judgment due to the cry they made at Yahoshua’s trial approximately 32 AD.

2.d. Please do not be confused by the verses prior to verse 15 and after verse 22 in Matthew 24. They appear to refer to the end times, which are yet to occur. But verses 15-23 refer to 70 AD. For those who have done much Bible study, they no doubt have come across many passages in which the Holy Ghost has written events that are not in chronological order as men would prefer and understand more easily. Instead, the events are written by God Who has an infinite intelligence and sees all of history simultaneously.

I did not include Mark and Luke in this response, but the explanation is virtually the same.

zeke25
You have excellent understanding