Abuse Is Not A Reason For Divorce

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God doesn't want us suffering any kind of abuse in a marriage. It's all wrong.

I guess one could leave and not divorce legally. Leave, hide out, go somewhere ex partner can't find you.

If there are children in there not grown yet they need taking out of that situation
I agree. But I also believe that if a man subjects and gives his wife to other men to be used sexually ....or if he is forcing her to attend activities that fall under satanic worship, that is grounds for divorce.

Reactions: GodsBeloved11

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I agree. But I also believe that if a man subjects and gives his wife to other men to be used sexually ....or if he is forcing her to attend activities that fall under satanic worship, that is grounds for divorce.

Yes. I agree. any kind of abuse including that is fair grounds for divorce.

I know my view may not be Biblical in the strict sense but I know Jesus hated divorce because of the effect it can have on the innocent involved. How much more does he grieve when abuse happens in a marriage?

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would certainly solve a lot of problems to be honest

It is just like a lot of things it is more complicated. A lot of women, you could not drag them away from these men. It is weird thing. Some of these women do not have anyone to take up for them. And some of these men, if they know they will be beat, will not harm the woman. If you are a woman in an abusive relationship....leave now. Do not make your children live this. Do not expose your children to it. You would be better on the road hitchhiking with your children than in an abusive relationship.

How do I know? I lived it. My step-dad shot my mom in the chest, point blank with a .38 special....she survived....lucky for him.
When I got done with him he could not work another day in his life and he had 3 new exits to his home. But still she was not happy with me and cared for him....it is not uncommon.

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It is just like a lot of things it is more complicated. A lot of women, you could not drag them away from these men. It is weird thing. Some of these women do not have anyone to take up for them. And some of these men, if they know they will be beat, will not harm the woman. If you are a woman in an abusive relationship....leave now. Do not make your children live this. Do not expose your children to it. You would be better on the road hitchhiking with your children than in an abusive relationship.

How do I know? I lived it. My step-dad shot my mom in the chest, point blank with a .38 special....she survived....lucky for him.
When I got done with him he could not work another day in his life and he had 3 new exits to his home. But still she was not happy with me and cared for him....it is not uncommon.

If the abused spouses won't leave the children need removing . If i were their pastor I absolutely would escalate things with child and family dept. Of social services.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If the abused spouses won't leave the children need removing . If i were their pastor I absolutely would escalate things with child and family dept. Of social services.

It depend on where you are at as to how they handle it. And to be honest it has been a while since I have been involved with anything like that. So I do not know how they are handling it today.

TLHKAJ

Sep 12, 2020
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I'm sorry that happened to your mom and you. I do agree with you in many respects. But there are some instances where no place is safe...staying with the abusive spouse, or being homeless. In cases where SRA (satanic ritual abuse) and MK Ultra are involved, being homeless puts one in as much or even more danger of being vulnerable to their many abusers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grailhunter

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I was a child from a marriage like that except both the parents were believers . It almost destroyed me with CPTSD and caused me to hate anything to do with God for a long long time ... Even two decades after coming back to God and being born again I had a huge amount of unlearning to do. I forgive but the damage to the brain from the trauma has taken a long time to unwind...

...I have to got to know the real Jesus now and have got to a place where I don't imagine he could condone what we (mum, sibling, me) endured. He used it for good in the end not evil and am thankful He is changing my dad now. But I don't think I would put any child through similar.

The worst effect is that I still feel unable to trust and love God as I ought. I have harmed my body through addiction and self harm from an early age and may die young . I feel a lot of shame and fear and I have a hard time believing God approves of me. There were other experiences in life that didn't help (sexual abuse, bullying, rejection) but there seems to have been a huge void in me since my earliest years .
Trust takes time and Jesus already knows your struggles with trust, he knows everything and called you back to him with all that knowledge. He goes at a pace that you can handle, healing or complete trust is not something some of us are instantly able to have. We come as damaged humans, it’s HIS job to enable us to be fixed xxxxxxx
One day at a time x
Thank you for sharing xx
Rita

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. I agree. any kind of abuse including that is fair grounds for divorce.

I know my view may not be Biblical in the strict sense but I know Jesus hated divorce because of the effect it can have on the innocent involved. How much more does he grieve when abuse happens in a marriage?
Yes, I agree as divorce is not an easy option and has its own impact and effect. However , as you have already said in a previous post, staying in a difficult married can be more harmful. My eldest knew about my ex’s affairs and he had sworn him to secrecy. I didn’t find out about all of them until after the divorce when my eldest took a massive overdose( he thankfully survived ) one of the reasons was that he hated the guilt and pressure of carrying the secrets. He was so pleased when I said enough was enough and ended the marriage.
After having some counselling he came over to me in tears , fell into my arms and shared the secrets, he thought I would reject and hate him….I didn’t , I just held him and let him release it all. He was 27 - he was 15 when he was sworn to secrecy by his dad. I had my own emotional response to deal with, the reality that most of my marriage had been a lie. I worked through that privately.
God used my 27years of marriage , well I came to faith three years into it, and I look back and see good come out of it all.

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Trust takes time and Jesus already knows your struggles with trust, he knows everything and called you back to him with all that knowledge. He goes at a pace that you can handle, healing or complete trust is not something some of us are instantly able to have. We come as damaged humans, it’s HIS job to enable us to be fixed xxxxxxx
One day at a time x
Thank you for sharing xx
Rita

Thanks so much.

Bless you ❤❤

Reactions: Rita

BARNEY BRIGHT

Oct 29, 2017
Thomaston Georgia
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Abuse-is-not-a-reason-for-divorce.jpg

In no way, shape or form is this post condoning a husband abusing his wife. Violence in any form, is against the word of God! ⁠

Colossians 3:19 - Husbands, love your wives and do not be harsh with them.⁠

However, Jesus’ instructions to ‘turn the other cheek’, applies to both men and women, husbands and wives.⁠

Matthew 5:38-39 - “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.⁠

A husband who does not obey the word of God, is not a reason for a wife to rebel against her husband. ⁠

1 Peter 3:1-6 - Wives, likewise, be submissive to your own husbands, that even if some do not obey the word, they, without a word, may be won by the conduct of their wives, ⁠

Suffering as a servant of Christ is mandated for every believer - men and women, husbands and wives. ⁠

1 Peter 2:19-20 - 19 For it is commendable if someone bears up under the pain of unjust suffering because they are conscious of God. 20 But how is it to your credit if you receive a beating for doing wrong and endure it? But if you suffer for doing good and you endure it, this is commendable before God.⁠

We must follow Christ’s example:⁠

1 John 2:6 - Whoever claims to live in him must live as Jesus did.⁠

Yet somehow, today’s Christian society has made women and wives exempt from following the teachings of Jesus. We must not align ourselves with the cultural and traditional norms of today’s society over the Bible’s teachings. The bible does not allow a wife to separate/divorce her husband for any reason, even if she is being abused.⁠

1 Corinthians 7:10 - To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. ⁠

1Corinthians 7: 10, 11-To the married people I give instructions, not I but the Lord, that a wife should not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does separate, let her remain unmarried or else be reconciled with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife.

Obviously allowances we're allowed for a wife to separate from her husband, 1 Corinthians 7:11 shows us that. Physical abuse to the wife/children would apply for an allowing the wife to separate from her husband.

Reactions: GodsBeloved11

GodsBeloved11

Sep 15, 2021
Bristol
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1Corinthians 7: 10, 11-To the married people I give instructions, not I but the Lord, that a wife should not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does separate, let her remain unmarried or else be reconciled with her husband; and a husband should not leave his wife.

Obviously allowances we're allowed for a wife to separate from her husband, 1 Corinthians 7:11 shows us that. Physical abuse to the wife/children would apply for an allowing the wife to separate from her husband.

Yes I don't think God wills any kind of abuse in a marriage. The Duluth Model gives a good illustration of how different types of abuse work and how damaging they are. Especially if the abuse is verbal and emotional and involves threats of violence because that can alter the brain chemistry causing constant feelings of fear.

God understands mental health and wellbeing and I'm sure He gives us knowledge to help us