Acts 2:17-19 can anyone share their visions in the last days

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
who can prove it?
when we are always right in our own eyes?

Well, no. No strict translator of the Greek would render that particular word as "people." The only place you would likely find a rendering like that is in a paraphrase. The Greek of Acts 2:17 reads, ἐκχεῶ ἀπὸ τοῦ πνεύματός μου ἐπὶ πᾶσαν σάρκα; literally, "I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh," and this matches word for word with the Septuagint of Joel 2:28.

There are four, maybe five different Greek words that could have been used if the Biblical writers meant to communicate "people," but the word σάρκα is not one of them. That rendering would therefore be a paraphrase, not a literal translation.

Reactions: ThePuffyBlob

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, no. No strict translator of the Greek would render that particular word as "people." The only place you would likely find a rendering like that is in a paraphrase. The Greek of Acts 2:17 reads, ἐκχεῶ ἀπὸ τοῦ πνεύματός μου ἐπὶ πᾶσαν σάρκα; literally, "I will pour out My Spirit upon all flesh," and this matches word for word with the Septuagint of Joel 2:28.

There are four, maybe five different Greek words that could have been used if the Biblical writers meant to communicate "people," but the word σάρκα is not one of them. That rendering would therefore be a paraphrase, not a literal translation.

Context shows that it's the flesh of the people mentioned, daughters, sons, old men, and young men that the spirit will be poured upon.

Joe 2:28 And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why don't you share your testimony aren't you glorifying God by doing it?
Ok, 27 years of religious bondage, then, heard The Good News Of The GRACE
Of God, repented and believed It. Went through 11 more years of traditional
confusion, trying to learn about baptism, tongues, signs, wonders, and
miracles.

God Was Gracious, Leading me to His Scriptural Truth Of Right
Division
. Still studying daily (Acts 17:11), and serving Him by
trying to encourage and edify others with This Same Truth,
According to the "preaching Of JESUS CHRIST, According To
The [Current] Revelation Of The Mystery"/GRACE for today.
(Romans 16:25).
+
(Not to be "Mixed up [Romans 11:6] with Previous law" dispensation).

Praise His Precious Name!

Precious friend, thanks for asking, appreciate you, and:

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

GRACE And Peace... The apostle of GRACE (2 Min With The BIBLE)

FULL study:
Paul, The apostle Of GRACE (Part I)
Paul, The apostle Of GRACE (Part II)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Context shows that it's the flesh of the people mentioned, daughters, sons, old men, and young men that the spirit will be poured upon.

I'm talking about strict translation of the word, not loose rendering of it in light of context. "People" would be an unsound translation. You would not have Jesus saying to Peter in Matthew 16:17, "For people and blood has not revealed this unto you," nor in Jesus words to the disciples that "the spirit is willing, but the people is weak," nor in his admonition to others about His body and blood that "he who eats My people has life," nor in His words to the disciples, "a spirit has not people and blood, as you see Me have."

Too many examples where strict translation of the word is clearly "flesh," not "people," to be rendering it any other way. Granted, one can easily interpret it through context to mean the latter, but it is loose and errant translation to render it as such.

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines
Ok, 27 years of religious bondage, then, heard The Good News Of The GRACE
Of God, repented and believed It. Went through 11 more years of traditional
confusion, trying to learn about baptism, tongues, signs, wonders, and
miracles.

God Was Gracious, Leading me to His Scriptural Truth Of Right
Division
. Still studying daily (Acts 17:11), and serving Him by
trying to encourage and edify others with This Same Truth,
According to the "preaching Of JESUS CHRIST, According To
The [Current] Revelation Of The Mystery"/GRACE for today.
(Romans 16:25).
+
(Not to be "Mixed up [Romans 11:6] with Previous law" dispensation).

Praise His Precious Name!

Precious friend, thanks for asking, appreciate you, and:

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And In His Word Of Truth, Rightly Divided!

GRACE And Peace... The apostle of GRACE (2 Min With The BIBLE)

FULL study:
Paul, The apostle Of GRACE (Part I)
Paul, The apostle Of GRACE (Part II)
i meant testimony about acts 2:17 (´︶`)
and yes of course i'm tempting you
because it is possible to tempt you

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: GRACE ambassador

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm talking about strict translation of the word, not loose rendering of it in light of context. "People" would be an unsound translation.

Sounds like a strawman fallacy. Everyone knows it means flesh but in context it's speaking about the flesh of people so it is about people.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like a strawman fallacy. Everyone knows it means flesh but in context it's speaking about the flesh of people so it is about people.

No it's not, LoL. I'm talking about strict translation vs. loose translation. It's similar to the difference between a paraphrase Bible and an actual translation, and I always favor using the latter when getting into strict analysis of a text. It's irrelevant what everyone knows or doesn't know. What matters is the exacting translation of the actual Greek words used.

ewq1938

Jul 11, 2015
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No it's not, LoL. I'm talking about strict translation vs. loose translation. It's similar to the difference between a paraphrase Bible and an actual translation, and I always favor using the latter when getting into strict analysis of a text. It's irrelevant what everyone knows or doesn't know. What matters is the exacting translation of the actual Greek words used.

And the context LoL. The word means flesh, but in that verse it is the flesh of people and thus is speaking about people.

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And the context LoL. The word means flesh, but in that verse it is the flesh of people and thus is speaking about people.

So you translate the word for what it actually means in the original language, and then let the reader himself determine what the meaning is based on context. What happens if you start reading into it and rendering it that way FOR the reader (instead of just translating it out literally) is that you start inserting your own theology into the text, which is precisely what that translation is doing. The problem with a paraphrase translation is that it opens the door for theological and doctrinal error to be built upon it, which is why strict translation of the word in the original language is to be preferred.

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

ThePuffyBlob

Dec 16, 2019
( ^◡^)
Faith
Christian
Country
Philippines

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
hi
@Hidden In Him
still waiting and hoping

Oh, if you were talking about my saying, "He was speaking specifically about all believers from the youngest to the oldest," the context of the passage explains it. Young men will see visions and old men will dream dreams. The Spirit of God will be poured out upon believers of all ages, not only to receive these things but also to interpret them. Dreams and visions are part of the prophetic gift, which is why dreams, visions and prophecy are mentioned together in the passage, and walking in the prophetic will not just be the purview of older believers but of believers both young and old.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw a volcano come out of the peninsula here in the Pacific Northwest USA. And I saw the coast line of California USA drop into the ocean. But I don't know when these things might happen.

When I saw the peninsula erupt with a volcano the people were cut off and many died. When I saw the coast of California drop I saw angels that descended and collected many of the souls, but not all.
I recently saw this on the news and thought maybe that's what God showed me for California, a mega flood? I originally assumed it was an earthquake that dropped California and caused the water to appear. But I may have interpreted it wrong. I saw parts of California flooded with water like the land dropped or something. :oops:

Climate Change Has Increased Likelihood Of Catastrophic Flooding In California - Videos from The Weather Channel

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I recently saw this on the news and thought maybe that's what God showed me for California, a mega flood? I originally assumed it was an earthquake that dropped California and caused the water to appear. But I may have interpreted it wrong. I saw parts of California flooded with water like the land dropped or something. :oops:

Climate Change Has Increased Likelihood Of Catastrophic Flooding In California - Videos from The Weather Channel

I have to warn you devin. Although I can never say, definitively, whether a vision or dream is real, I can warn you about my own experiences. I've spent many years in Pentecostalism, and noted that there is a constant need among this group to claim fantastic things, miracles, judgments, and all kinds of supernatural phenomena.

I do believe in a supernatural God, but I find He doesn't do "tricks" for people to amuse them. Rather, we submit to Him, and He graciously gives us His imput as He wills.

We aren't given much insight into the future, because this leads to all kinds of speculation, which distracts us from hearing God in the present about present needs. We shouldn't be too wrapped up trying to read crystal balls! ;)

I moved to CA many years ago, and lived in two different spots in Orange County. I got into prophecy pretty heavily--I've always been interested in it. And I had followed David Wilkerson's Vision to some extent. When I saw the gross sin in CA, I felt it was time to leave. I thought Wilkerson's "judgments" were going to fall.

Well, I've been gone from CA many years, and I'm glad I left just to be out of the gross sin and awful conditions that have developed. Judgment has happened, but not the big earthquake like I thought was happening.

My advice: don't listen to all the prophecies of great disasters. You can't do anything about them anyway except try to live a good life. Take care....

Marty fox

Jun 1, 2021
Vancouver
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The Acts 2:17-20 "’In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy. I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below, blood and fire and billows of smoke. The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord.

Peter was saying that those days had come at his time it was the beginning of the New Testament era the Holy Spirit had come. The all flesh was that all nations will be apart of the church.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter was saying that those days had come at his time it was the beginning of the New Testament era the Holy Spirit had come. The all flesh was that all nations will be apart of the church.

I agree that Joel was speaking of the last days, which began when the King of the Kingdom arrived, causing the Kingdom to be *near* (not *here*). It did, however, come into the "midst" of Israel because Jesus himself had come among them, together with power from heaven.

And so, the power of God was given "to all flesh," which in context referred to all classes of Israelites. But since Peter referenced it in the context of the NT Church, it's obvious that "all flesh" can be extended beyond mere Jewish classes to all nationalities and ethnicities.

Reactions: Marty fox