Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Repent, and you shall recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit. and let every one of you (who recieved the gift) be baptized for (because you have recieved) the remission of sin..

New World Order translation...lol

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The brazen laver had a command attached to it....was at the laver that ye die not....

Baptism has a command to it....He that believeth AND IS baptized shall be saved, ...

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Think hard about it.
Jesus said whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life
He also said whoever believes is not condemned, Whoever does not believe is condemned already.
He also told peter they would be baptized by the spirit.
So when Jesus said whoever believes and is baptized. It can ONLY be interpreted as baptism of the spirit.

again, If you want to earn your salvation by works. Feel free.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They teach to baptize unregenerated infants.
They teach the name of the son is 'son".
Nope.
You skip Acts 2:38 altogether and save folks by their OWN faith....Self salvation.
They use Acts 2:38 to teach that you must be water baptized to be saved just as you do. Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of his finished work of redemption alone and not based on the merits of our works. That is not self salvation. You need to place your faith in the Savior God and not the water god.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have just provided evidence that most folks in general refute Peter per Acts 2:38.

Why, I cannot imagine.

Anti- Acts 2:38ers will have faith in their faith.
I do not care what MOST people think.

I care what the BIBLE SAYS

Repent- Metanoeo - verb, aorist, Active, imperative second person, plural
Be Baptized - Baptizo - Verb, Aorist, Passive, Imperative, Third Person Singular

Until you or anyone else can adequately explain why both words are of different types. all your doing is giving me nothing to change my view.

Reactions: mailmandan

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus said whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life
He also said whoever believes is not condemned, Whoever does not believe is condemned already.
He also told peter they would be baptized by the spirit.
So when Jesus said whoever believes and is baptized. It can ONLY be interpreted as baptism of the spirit.

again, If you want to earn your salvation by works. Feel free.
Peter said both water AND Spirit in Acts 2:38.

Jesus did NOT say "he that believeth and is baptized BY THE HOLY SPIRIT shall be saved"...

You said that.

You imply that the Apostles did not baptize.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They use Acts 2:38 to teach that you must be water baptized to be saved just as you do. Christ saves us through faith based on the merits of his finished work of redemption alone and not based on the merits of our works. That is not self salvation. You need to place your faith in the Savior God and not the water god.
No, you believe.

God does not believe, but you.

That is self salvation.

Believing and confessing come from you.

They take energy(works).

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not care what MOST people think.

I care what the BIBLE SAYS

Repent- Metanoeo - verb, aorist, Active, imperative second person, plural
Be Baptized - Baptizo - Verb, Aorist, Passive, Imperative, Third Person Singular

Until you or anyone else can adequately explain why both words are of different types. all your doing is giving me nothing to change my view.
You are only ruining yourself by opposing Peter per Acts 2:38.

My advice is don't ruin others by telling them it is wrong to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins.

You don't need that kind of trouble.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In the good 'ol days, it used to be this to be saved....

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Now, it is "accept the Lord as your personal savior" or, "believe with all your might"..."just don't get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of your sins" .

What a mess.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter said both water AND Spirit in Acts 2:38.

Jesus did NOT say "he that believeth and is baptized BY THE HOLY SPIRIT shall be saved"...

You said that.

You imply that the Apostles did not baptize.
No but he did say there was a difference between water baptism and spirit baptism. As did John the baptist. when John proclaimed he would baptize with the spirit and fire

Jesus did not say baptize in water, You did. So your own argument is against you

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are only ruining yourself by opposing Peter per Acts 2:38.

My advice is don't ruin others by telling them it is wrong to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins.

You don't need that kind of trouble.
So you can not answer the issue? I did not think you could. So I can not follow you. I must go with the word.

Again, You do whatever you wish. Until you can answer why those words are different, You have NOTHING to offer me.

The jews rejected christ going with what many said, and not the few. I do not wish to make the same mistake they did.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, you believe.

God does not believe, but you.

That is self salvation.

Believing and confessing come from you.

They take energy(works).
Trusting in Jesus Christ alone for salvation and not in the works is not self salvation. You refuse to trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation and instead have turned to supplements, namely “water and works.”

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 is the only way to be saved since it's inception.
Did you not read the passage in Acts 19? In Acts 2, Peter tells the people that they will receive the Holy Spirit if they repent and get baptized. In Acts 19, the disciples didn't receive the Holy Spirit until Paul laid his hands on them.

Which is it? Which is it? Baptism or Hands?

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Blessings to you also Philip.

Hello Cady,

Thank you! So nice to have a pleasent response. :)

With regard to objective certainty, we can think of several examples of ways that we can be absolutely certain

Faith in Christ provides us with objective certainty that the sacraments are effecacious.
Objective because it does not depend on man, but on the promises of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit.
Certain because Jesus IS WHO HE IS,
The same yesterday, today and forever.

Can you name a sacrament that proves God has justified someone? or do we take it "on faith?"

Can you define what you mean by 'justified'? I ask because that seems to vary from person to person I have encountered.. ;)

But yes, Christian Baptism is 'proof' that one has been born anew and welcomed into the family of God.

Do we take that on faith? Yes! The faith of the Church, which is the supernatural faith of Christ.

Peace!

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you like to know something interesting about the Lord Jesus Christ when it comes to baptism of the Holy Spirit and fire?

Side notes: Though today many churches have baptism with water, you can always do that if you desire to, by whoever you desire to baptize you and dunk you in the river, or what you like and as an outward expression of faith if you so desire to nothing wrong with that.

What is important to know is the truth about baptism of Christ Jesus. So you may have understanding of also what does ~ Fire mean, and Spirit, and Holy, and Baptize. The Greek words are at the bottom of this article.

Whatever you decide on baptism is up to you; but hope this help you understand more about the baptism of Jesus Christ, by and through the Father who gives the spirit to Jesus, who delivers it to us, as a believers. Jesus Christ is the only way to have access to the Father which requires for us to believe, and trust in God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Please consider the following text.

Luke 3:14-16

14 And questioning him also were those warring, saying, 'And we, what shall we do?' and he said unto them, 'Do violence to no one, nor accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.

Verse 14: Soldierso_O; came asking John who was baptizing people in the Jordan river for the repentance which shows a transformed mind towards God, by changing and turning towards Gods ways. - - Questioning John saying ' And we, what shall we do?' ~

And John said this to their question

Saying to the Soldiers: 'Do violence to no one, nor accuse falsely, and be content with your wages.

15 And the people are looking forward, and all are reasoning in their hearts concerning John, whether or not he may be the Christ;

Verse 15: And the people were looking forward, and all are reasoning in their hearts.:confused:

All the people who heard what John had said to the Soldiers: 'Do violence to no one, nor accuse falsely, and be content with your wages. :rolleyes:

Began to reason in their hearts what they had heard concerning John also if he may or may not be the Messiah. ~ John the baptize was not the Messiah - the Messiah was Jesus the Son of God. :eek:

16 John answered, saying to all, 'I indeed with water do baptise you, but he cometh who is mightier than I, of whom I am not worthy to loose the latchet of his sandals -- he shall baptise you with the Holy Spirit and with fire;

Verse 16: John answered to the Soldiers and all whom were around saying

Indeed with water, do I baptize you :cool:

But one is coming who is mighter than I (John), of who I am not worthy to loose the latchet of his sandals :p

He shall *Jesus Christ the Son of God ;)

Baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire. :eek:

HELPS Word-studies
Baptize ~ 907 baptízō – properly, "submerge" (Souter); hence, baptize, to immerse (literally, "dip under"). 907 (baptízō) implies submersion ("immersion"), in contrast to 472 /antéxomai ("sprinkle").

Spirit ~ 4151 pneúma – properly, spirit (Spirit), wind, or breath. The most frequent meaning (translation) of 4151 (pneúma) in the NT is "spirit" ("Spirit"). Only the context however determines which sense(s) is meant.

[Any of the above renderings (spirit-Spirit, wind, breath) of 4151 (pneúma) is always theoretically possible (spirit, Spirit, wind, breath). But when the attributive adjective ("holy") is used, it always refers to the Holy Spirit. "Spirit" ("spirit") is by far the most common translation (application) of 4151 (pneúma).

The Hebrew counterpart (rûach) has the same range of meaning as 4151 (pneúma), i.e. it likewise can refer to spirit/Spirit, wind, or breath.]
Holy ~ 40 hágios – properly, different (unlike), other ("otherness"), holy; for the believer, 40 (hágios) means "likeness of nature with the Lord" because "different from the world."

The fundamental (core) meaning of 40 (hágios) is "different" – thus a temple in the 1st century was hagios ("holy") because different from other buildings (Wm. Barclay). In the NT, 40 /hágios ("holy") has the "technical" meaning "different from the world" because "like the Lord." :eek::D

[40 (hágios) implies something "set apart" and therefore "different (distinguished/distinct)" – i.e. "other," because special to the Lord.]
Fire ~ 4442 pýrfire. In Scripture, fire is often used figuratively – like with the "fire of God" which transforms all it touches into light and likeness with itself

God's Spirit, like a holy fire, enlightens and purifies so that believers can share more and more in His likeness. Indeed the fire of God brings the uninterrupted privilege of being transformed which happens by experiencing faith from Him. Our lives can become true offerings to Him as we obey this imparted faith from God by His power.

[This is illustrated by God's fire burning continuously at the entrance of the Tabernacle where the priests made sweet-savor offerings. Compare Lev 6:12,13 with 1 Pet 2:5,9.]​

Last edited:

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which is it? Which is it? Baptism or Hands?
Precious friend(s), I believe Most overlook The Following Scriptural Scenario:

Dispensation of the Law = water baptism FOR the remission of sins {faith +
works: James_2, 1 : 1 = TWELVE Tribes/national priesthood Unto God!}

Prophecy

Transition Period: {Various Changes =
water baptism Before Baptism "With" The Holy Spirit (Acts 2);
{After Paul Acts 9!}: water baptism After The Holy Spirit (Acts 10);
The Holy Spirit After laying on of hands (Acts 19); +
FINAL Transition Over
TO:

The New Dispensation Of PURE GRACE = NO water, But!:

ONE Baptism, "BY" The Holy Spirit FOR the forgiveness of sins,
Washed In
Redemption By The BLOOD, Circumcision {Without
hands} of the heart, Translated Into The ONE Body Of CHRIST!
(The "Revelation Of The Mystery" To: Paul: Romans-Philemon)

Amen?

Last edited:

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No but he did say there was a difference between water baptism and spirit baptism. As did John the baptist. when John proclaimed he would baptize with the spirit and fire

Jesus did not say baptize in water, You did. So your own argument is against you
Mark 16:16 refers to water baptism. If it was Spirit baptism it would have said it.

It is the same command instance(last words of Jesus) as of Matt 28:19.

Matt 28:19 refers to Spirit baptism?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So you can not answer the issue? I did not think you could. So I can not follow you. I must go with the word.

Again, You do whatever you wish. Until you can answer why those words are different, You have NOTHING to offer me.

The jews rejected christ going with what many said, and not the few. I do not wish to make the same mistake they did.
You reject Peter and Acts 2:38.

If you were the speaker for the 3000 at Pentecost, you would have said, "men and brethren, what shall we NOT do, especially baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins"?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Trusting in Jesus Christ alone for salvation and not in the works is not self salvation. You refuse to trust in Jesus Christ alone for salvation and instead have turned to supplements, namely “water and works.”
Acts 2:38 is a supplement?

Was Peter providing a supplemental plan to find remission of sins at Pentecost?

Did Jesus bungle everything when he gave Peter the keys in Matt 16?

Or, is your new age Acts skipping plan out of whack with the original church?

Fact is, you are a groomless bride that refuses to take the groom's name.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Truther

have not went through this scripture in a long time but thought would break it down for the most part, and hopefully it might help anyone who is curious about Matthew 28.

Matthew 28: 16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to God.

When they saw Jesus they worshipped Him, but some doubted.

Then Jesus said to them the eleven disciples:

Jesus spoke and had said : All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me (The Son of God).

Therefore you - eleven disciples - Therefore shall go and make disciples of all nations

(1484) ethnos - nations ethnos: a race, a nation, pl. the nations (as distinct from Isr.)
Definition: a race, a nation, the nations (as distinct from Israel)
Usage: a race, people, nation; the nations, heathen world, Gentiles.
HELPS Word-studies

1484 éthnos (from ethō, "forming a custom, culture") – properly, people joined by practicing similar customs or common culture; nation(s), usually referring to unbelieving Gentiles (non-Jews).​

Therefore you - eleven disciples chosen and picked to follow me - must now go and make disciples of all nations - baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Teaching them to obey everything I (Jesus Christ) have commanded you - eleven disciples - And surly ~ I (Jesus Christ) am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Age here means : to the completion of the age - the end of the Old Jewish nation ways - Priesthood, sacrifices, temple rights, burning incenses, the temple would fall as Jesus Christ had told to his eleven disciples, and many other things.​

Jesus Christ is telling them and promising them that He would always be with them, until the end of that Jewish age -~ Which is also a promise of the Lord Jesus Christ also being with us until the end of our own time ~(Death) and that God is here with us, and Christ Jesus does live with-in us by the spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit given from God to Jesus and delivered to us and we are spiritually reborn to the spiritual things and the wisdom of God, which should help improve our lives by faith and trusting God.

We also experience death with Christ by baptism in his death, and are raised again to new spiritual life by and through faith, and trusting in God.