Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 19 BSB
Acts 19:2
And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

"Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. " Acts 2:38

The Baptism of Jesus
Luke 3:21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as He was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on Him in a bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased."

Acts 2 Baptism by the holy spirit
Bible Gateway passage: Acts 2:1-13 - New English Translation

Don't forget to post Acts 2:38....

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost...

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

...added via baptism

Reactions: Amazed@grace

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, if you were the OT priest, you would offer the sacrifice but skip the brazen laver(representing water baptism) and walk into the Holy of Holies all dirty?

You are brave.
But only for a split second. Then God would strike them dead for being unclean and passing through that curtain.

Reactions: Truther

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Don't forget to post Acts 2:38....

37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost...

41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

...added via baptism
This thread started out reminding people of Acts 2:38. Amazing isn't it how committed some can be in denying its importance?

Do you know any Christian who is not also baptized? I don't.

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 is a supplement?

Was Peter providing a supplemental plan to find remission of sins at Pentecost?

Did Jesus bungle everything when he gave Peter the keys in Matt 16?

Or, is your new age Acts skipping plan out of whack with the original church?

Fact is, you are a groomless bride that refuses to take the groom's name.
Be sure to go back and read and meditate on post #101.

Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

Then let me know when you are ready to repent and believe the gospel.

Reactions: Eternally Grateful

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread started out reminding people of Acts 2:38. Amazing isn't it how committed some can be in denying its importance?

"reminding people of Acts 2:38"? Thanks, All Scripture Is Profitable for our learning!

"Amazing isn't it how committed some can be in denying its importance?"?
No, some of us who are Also Amazed @ God's Wonderful GRACE, do not deny
anything, but, we do have questions about WHY those under the
"great commission" believe in it's importance, but, then "deny The
Importance of ALL that is Associated WITH it"? Or Minimize importance by:

Practicing "pick And Choose" theology, of what to obey {the Important Parts?}
or NOT OBEY {the UNimportant Parts?}!

Exactly HOW is that being "obedient to Christ," When He Specifically Said:
“Observe ALL things WHATSOEVER I Have COMMANDED you!”?

i.e:

►► Peter [+11], TWELVE preached:
gospel of the kingdom!:​

(A) Salvation = "he that believeth AND is baptized Shall Be SAVED!"
(Mark_16:16 cp Luke_7:29-30; ► Acts_2:38; ◄ James_2:17-18!) ◄◄

(B) And Includes The LORD’s FIVE-Part Marching Orders, the
so-called ( added as a Page Header in Bibles ) Great Commission:

(B1):
“Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in The Name
Of The Father, and Of The SON, and of The Holy Ghost: Teaching
them to Observe ALL Things Whatsoever I Have Commanded you:
and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen!”
(Matthew_28:19-20!)​

Including: “Observe ALL things WHATSOEVER I Have COMMANDED you!”:

“Then Spake JESUS To the multitude, And To HIS disciples,
Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses’ seat:
ALL therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that OBSERVE
AND DO
; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not!”
(Matthew_23:1-3!)​

(B2):
“And HE Said Unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the
gospel to every creature. He that believeth And is baptized shall
be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these
signs Shall Follow them that believe: In MY Name shall they cast out
devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents;

and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they
shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover…. And they went
forth, and preached every where, The LORD Working With them, and
Confirming The Word With signs following. Amen!” (Mark_16:15-20!)

(B3):
“And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in
HIS Name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. And ye are
witnesses of these things. And, behold, I Send The Promise of MY
Father Upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be
endued with power From On High!” (Luke_24:47-49!)

(B4):
“Then Said JESUS To them again, Peace Be Unto you: As MY Father
Hath Sent ME, Even So Send I you. And When HE Had Said This, HE
Breathed On them, And Saith Unto them, Receive ye The Holy Ghost:
Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and
whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained!” (John_20:21-23!)

(B5):
“But ye shall receive power, after that The Holy Ghost Is Come Upon you:
and ye shall be witnesses unto ME both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea,
and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth!” (Acts_1:8!)

End of: Salvation / Commission In God's "Law/Prophetic Program!"
From CHRIST To HIS TWELVE, on the earth!
------------------------------------

Well, Precious friend(s), is it ALL IMPORTANT, or do we make Excuses of
WHY we "pick and choose"?
--------------------------------------
"Do you know any Christian who is not also baptized? I don't."?

I know Many! But will "hear from you" first on this post, before a
future Discussion of NO water! OK?

God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 2:38 was after Christ ascended.

Acts 2:38 is before Acts 3.

In Acts 2:38 a precedent was set by God via Peter.

All following verses refer to salvation per Acts 2:38, and do not debunk it.

Very clever pitting latter verses against it.

Excellent debunking technique when one wants to start his own religion.

All of Acts and all scripture pertains, the New Testament isn’t time stamped.

BTW there were no chapter divisions when the Bible was written.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Acts 19 BSB
Acts 19:2
And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

"Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. " Acts 2:38

The Baptism of Jesus
Luke 3:21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as He was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on Him in a bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased."

Acts 2 Baptism by the holy spirit
Bible Gateway passage: Acts 2:1-13 - New English Translation

You can’t overcome the fact that in Acts 10, those Peter preached to, started speaking in tongues then Peter said, can anyone forbid water, for those who HAVE RECEIVED TGE HOLY SPIRIT, as did we?

God doesn’t give the Holy Spirit to the unsaved - thus they were saved by faith, as they heard the word, as proven by receiving the Holy Spirit, AND THEN they were water baptized- after salvation, not to BE saved.

Making water into a co-savior is idolatry.

Philip James

May 4, 2018
Brandon
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The English word "justified" translates the Greek word "dikaiosune", which has three main meanings as it is used in the New Testament.
1. Morally right, 2. right with God, 3. blameless. All three connotations are present in the NT. Most of the time the word is translated "righteous" or "righteousness" but other times it is translated "justified".

I was using "justified" in the second sense, i.e. "right with God". A person is "right with God" if God has made peace with that individual and he has forgiven the person his or her sins. (Romans 5:1)

In my previous post, I was taking my cues from Hebrews 7:11 and 11:1. Paul argues that the Levite High Priest couldn't bring "perfection" so another high priest was necessary. By perfection he means, "knowing God has granted me justification with certainty." The people couldn't actually be sure that the sacrifice was acceptable. But we know that God accepted the sacrifice his son made because God raised him from the dead. His resurrection was proof positive that God accepted his offering.

We can't really know if God has forgiven us or not, because what God thinks is hidden from the common man. What God thinks is unknown unless he reveals it to us. Given that situation, Paul writes, "faith is the evidence of things unseen" and by "things" he means "what God thinks." He goes on to prove that we can know which of the Old Testament people God granted his justification because justification always accompanies faith.

The Christian sacraments, in my view, have the same draw back as offerings given by the Levitical priests. We really don't know if God has accepted our baptism, our marriage, our prayers, our confession etc. except as Paul argues, we can know for certain what God thinks about those of faith.

Hi CadyandZoe,

If we had only our own understanding to rely upon, i might agree with you.

But for the same reason that we kbow our High Priests offering was acceptable (He has risen from the dead), we know that what He said was True, and His promises are sure!

He founded a community, through His apostles, to whom He gave power and authority:
'bind and loose' , 'whos sins you forgive', 'he who hears you hears me', etc..

He promised to be with that community until the end of time..

He promised that community would be led into all Truth..

Now that which is believed by the whole Church, everywhere, is surely, that which Christ planted everywhere the apostles went..

Every 2000 year old apostolic community witnesses to the power of the Holy Spirit in the sacraments...

We do not have to lean on our own understanding... We can be certain on the Church's understanding...

'for we have the mind of Christ'

Peace!

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can’t overcome the fact that in Acts 10, those Peter preached to, started speaking in tongues then Peter said, can anyone forbid water, for those who HAVE RECEIVED TGE HOLY SPIRIT, as did we?

God doesn’t give the Holy Spirit to the unsaved - thus they were saved by faith, as they heard the word, as proven by receiving the Holy Spirit, AND THEN they were water baptized- after salvation, not to BE saved.

Idolatry, blasphemy, heresy, all pejoratives employed in an attempt to levy insult, and invalidate a members submissions.

You cannot dismiss 1 Peter 3.
1 Peter 3 NRSV,MOUNCE
21 And baptism, which this prefigured, now saves you—not as a removal of dirt from the body, but as an appeal to God for[f] a good conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus...
Saves- σῴζω (sōzō)
Strong: G4982

GK: G5392

to save, rescue; to preserve safe and unharmed, Mt. 8:25; 10:22; 24:22; 27:40, 42, 49; 1 Tim. 2:15; σῴζειν εἰς, to bring safely to, 2 Tim. 4:18; to cure, heal, restore to health, Mt. 9:21, 22; Mk. 5:23, 28, 34; 6:56; to save, preserve from being lost, Mt. 16:25; Mk. 3:4; 8:35; σῴζειν ἀπό, to deliver from, set free from, Mt. 1:21; Jn. 12:27; Acts 2:40; in NT to rescue from unbelief, convert, Rom. 11:14; 1 Cor. 1:21; 7:16; to bring within the pale of saving privilege, Tit. 3:5; 1 Pet. 3:21; to save from final ruin, 1 Tim. 1:15; pass. to be brought within the pale of saving privilege, Acts 2:47; Eph. 2:5, 8; to be in the way of salvation, 1 Cor. 15:2; 2 Cor. 2:15

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They have the authority to remit sins by speaking the name of Jesus Christ over you in water. You can actually immerse(baptize) yourself in the name of Jesus Christ if you want to, but don't say it while under water.
Whatever

you replace the work of God with the work of man. Blaspheme the Hs. Good luck

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Yes, they are fighting Acts 2:38 tooth and nail.

It is the verse that decides whether one is in the church at Pentecost or someone else's church.

They are all in someone else's church started in seminary.

I know many saints that are baptized per Acts 2:38, but per capita of all 'Christians', they are a tiny minority.

Most "Christians" these days do not get baptized at all.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
All of Acts and all scripture pertains, the New Testament isn’t time stamped.

BTW there were no chapter divisions when the Bible was written.

2Ti 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
Yes.

Now, show me the passage per where the church first began.

Can you?

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes.

Now, show me the passage per where the church first began.

Can you?
I certainly can...the day Jesus was resurrected. The first "born again" experience happened that day.

John 20:22 ASV — And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Spirit:

And no baptism in water accompanied it...

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I certainly can...the day Jesus was resurrected. The first "born again" experience happened that day.

John 20:22 ASV — And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Spirit:

And no baptism in water accompanied it...
The church began before this?....

Acts 1:4 And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, but wait for the promise of the Father, which, saith he, ye have heard of me.

5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence....

8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth....

Acts 2 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place.

2 And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they were sitting.

3 And there appeared unto them cloven tongues like as of fire, and it sat upon each of them.

4 And they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.

...then they were a powerless church?

Jostler

Oct 23, 2020
God's green earth
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you believe happened the day He breathed on the disciples, and told them "receive the Holy Spirit." ? I can assure you they did receive Him, and u hey were born again. That founded the church. His corporate Body.