Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Precious friend(s), I believe Most overlook The Following Scriptural Scenario:

Dispensation of the Law = water baptism FOR the remission of sins {faith +
works: James_2, 1 : 1 = TWELVE Tribes/national priesthood Unto God!}

Prophecy

Transition Period: {Various Changes =
water baptism Before Baptism "With" The Holy Spirit (Acts 2);
{After Paul Acts 9!}: water baptism After The Holy Spirit (Acts 10);
The Holy Spirit After laying on of hands (Acts 19); +
FINAL Transition Over
TO:

The New Dispensation Of PURE GRACE = NO water, But!:

ONE Baptism, "BY" The Holy Spirit FOR the forgiveness of sins,
Washed In
Redemption By The BLOOD, Circumcision {Without
hands} of the heart, Translated Into The ONE Body Of CHRIST!
(The "Revelation Of The Mystery" To: Paul: Romans-Philemon)

Amen?
Salvation has never been by faith plus works. Paul makes this clear in Romans 4. Gal 3.

Reactions: mailmandan

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did you not read the passage in Acts 19? In Acts 2, Peter tells the people that they will receive the Holy Spirit if they repent and get baptized. In Acts 19, the disciples didn't receive the Holy Spirit until Paul laid his hands on them.

Which is it? Which is it? Baptism or Hands?
Salvation consists of baptism for the remission of sins.

Some get the Spirit first to lead them to water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.

Some get it after water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ.

Some get it and NEVER get baptized in the name of Jesus Christ.

The Spirit is given to lead us into all truth, not remit our sins.

Some folks quench the Spirit with their traditions and run back to their religion....they hate water baptism in Jesus name for the remission of sins per the OP, and fight it tooth and nail.

These Acts skippers even have the gall to steal the saint's mail(Epistles), skipping Acts and reading their mail to sinners to find an "alternate" to Acts 2:38 for sinners.

Very naughty.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16 refers to water baptism. If it was Spirit baptism it would have said it.

It is the same command instance(last words of Jesus) as of Matt 28:19.

Matt 28:19 refers to Spirit baptism?
This is contradictory. He did not say water. So using your own argument you argue against yourself.

The fact Jesus did not mention it in John 3 and other places. PROVES it can not be water.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You reject Peter and Acts 2:38.

If you were the speaker for the 3000 at Pentecost, you would have said, "men and brethren, what shall we NOT do, especially baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins"?
Already answered multiple times

Your like a broken record.

Show me why Peter used different word types. Or show me that you are wrong.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello @Truther

have not went through this scripture in a long time but thought would break it down for the most part, and hopefully it might help anyone who is curious about Matthew 28.

Matthew 28: 16 Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. 17 When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. 18 Then Jesus came to them and said, “All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. 19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”

The eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to God.

When they saw Jesus they worshipped Him, but some doubted.

Then Jesus said to them the eleven disciples:

Jesus spoke and had said : All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me (The Son of God).

Therefore you - eleven disciples - Therefore shall go and make disciples of all nations

(1484) ethnos - nations ethnos: a race, a nation, pl. the nations (as distinct from Isr.)
Definition: a race, a nation, the nations (as distinct from Israel)
Usage: a race, people, nation; the nations, heathen world, Gentiles.
HELPS Word-studies

1484 éthnos (from ethō, "forming a custom, culture") – properly, people joined by practicing similar customs or common culture; nation(s), usually referring to unbelieving Gentiles (non-Jews).​

Therefore you - eleven disciples chosen and picked to follow me - must now go and make disciples of all nations - baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Teaching them to obey everything I (Jesus Christ) have commanded you - eleven disciples - And surly ~ I (Jesus Christ) am with you always, to the very end of the age.

Age here means : to the completion of the age - the end of the Old Jewish nation ways - Priesthood, sacrifices, temple rights, burning incenses, the temple would fall as Jesus Christ had told to his eleven disciples, and many other things.​

Jesus Christ is telling them and promising them that He would always be with them, until the end of that Jewish age -~ Which is also a promise of the Lord Jesus Christ also being with us until the end of our own time ~(Death) and that God is here with us, and Christ Jesus does live with-in us by the spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit given from God to Jesus and delivered to us and we are spiritually reborn to the spiritual things and the wisdom of God, which should help improve our lives by faith and trusting God.

We also experience death with Christ by baptism in his death, and are raised again to new spiritual life by and through faith, and trusting in God.
Yes, we are buried with Christ by baptism.

Those that have not been buried with Christ by baptism unto his death are spiritual zombies.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Already answered multiple times

Your like a broken record.

Show me why Peter used different word types. Or show me that you are wrong.
You did not answer this one.

I told you that you would have told Peter..."what shall we NOT do", regarding baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins....since you are dead set against it.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You did not answer this one.

I told you that you would have told Peter..."what shall we NOT do", regarding baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins....since you are dead set against it.
You never answered why Repent and be baptized are two different types of verbs spoken in two forms.

Until you do. You have nothing.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is contradictory. He did not say water. So using your own argument you argue against yourself.

The fact Jesus did not mention it in John 3 and other places. PROVES it can not be water.
The last words of Jesus were found in Matt, Mark and Luke.

These are AKA the "great commission".

They vary in wording, but insist on the disciples baptizing folks.

You need to become familiar with the gospels.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hello Cady,

Thank you! So nice to have a pleasent response. :)

Faith in Christ provides us with objective certainty that the sacraments are effecacious.
Objective because it does not depend on man, but on the promises of Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit.
Certain because Jesus IS WHO HE IS,
The same yesterday, today and forever.

Can you define what you mean by 'justified'? I ask because that seems to vary from person to person I have encountered.. ;)

But yes, Christian Baptism is 'proof' that one has been born anew and welcomed into the family of God.

Do we take that on faith? Yes! The faith of the Church, which is the supernatural faith of Christ.

Peace!
The English word "justified" translates the Greek word "dikaiosune", which has three main meanings as it is used in the New Testament.
1. Morally right, 2. right with God, 3. blameless. All three connotations are present in the NT. Most of the time the word is translated "righteous" or "righteousness" but other times it is translated "justified".

I was using "justified" in the second sense, i.e. "right with God". A person is "right with God" if God has made peace with that individual and he has forgiven the person his or her sins. (Romans 5:1)

In my previous post, I was taking my cues from Hebrews 7:11 and 11:1. Paul argues that the Levite High Priest couldn't bring "perfection" so another high priest was necessary. By perfection he means, "knowing God has granted me justification with certainty." The people couldn't actually be sure that the sacrifice was acceptable. But we know that God accepted the sacrifice his son made because God raised him from the dead. His resurrection was proof positive that God accepted his offering.

We can't really know if God has forgiven us or not, because what God thinks is hidden from the common man. What God thinks is unknown unless he reveals it to us. Given that situation, Paul writes, "faith is the evidence of things unseen" and by "things" he means "what God thinks." He goes on to prove that we can know which of the Old Testament people God granted his justification because justification always accompanies faith.

The Christian sacraments, in my view, have the same draw back as offerings given by the Levitical priests. We really don't know if God has accepted our baptism, our marriage, our prayers, our confession etc. except as Paul argues, we can know for certain what God thinks about those of faith.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah it did

He was baptized for the same reason Arron and his sons were baptised. To be a witness that he is to be the one sent from God. Not to save him

However, if as you claim WATER baptism is essential. and you use jesus baptism as the example. you are in fact claiming he ws saved by his baptism.

Baptism is in God plan for salvation. As john said, He will baptize with the Holy Spirit.

Your problem is your trying to replace HS baptism performed by God in the act of circumcising u with the circumcision made without hands (col 2)with water baptism performed by a sinner.

That is blasphemy of the worse kind
Oh, I agree. When you insist on inputting your own depraved imaginings are to be accepted as the words and intent of another, your blasphemy is the least of it.

You're talking to yourself. And levying judgement against that fault.

I shall leave you to it.

CadyandZoe

May 17, 2020
Phoenix
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You reject Peter and Acts 2:38.

If you were the speaker for the 3000 at Pentecost, you would have said, "men and brethren, what shall we NOT do, especially baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins"?

I don't reject what Peter said. I reject your interpretation of what Peter said. So far, I have tried to convince you, with little success, that salvation is not formulaic. Given your logic, one could easily focus on Acts 19 to suggest that unless God sends an apostle to lay his hands on you, you will not receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, and until you deal with that, you aren't going to understand my point.

Everyone's salvation story is different. Some get baptized, others experience the laying on of hands. There is no set way of doing it. The only essential requirement is to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and become his disciple.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Does your pastor have the power to baptize me into Christ's death? Or does God have that power?
They have the authority to remit sins by speaking the name of Jesus Christ over you in water. You can actually immerse(baptize) yourself in the name of Jesus Christ if you want to, but don't say it while under water.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't reject what Peter said. I reject your interpretation of what Peter said. So far, I have tried to convince you, with little success, that salvation is not formulaic. Given your logic, one could easily focus on Acts 19 to suggest that unless God sends an apostle to lay his hands on you, you will not receive the gift of the Holy Spirit, and until you deal with that, you aren't going to understand my point.

Everyone's salvation story is different. Some get baptized, others experience the laying on of hands. There is no set way of doing it. The only essential requirement is to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and become his disciple.
You just talked yourself out of Acts 2:38 and becoming one of the 3000 at Pentecost.

Why?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, we are buried with Christ by baptism.

Those that have not been buried with Christ by baptism unto his death are spiritual zombies.

Thank you for your response Truther.

Would see as all human spiritually dead at birth ~ Until they become aware of the truth about God, and to come to knowledge about the Lord Jesus Christ, and either make a choice to accept it or reject it. Follow and seek for truth, found in the Gospel of Christ.

Becoming spiritually reborn again by God given faith by having come to knowledge of the truth about the Lord Jesus Christ, and all of the free offers of abundant life that is given to those who are believers who make the choice to continue to abide in the vine.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What’s wrong is ignoring all the scriptures that say repentance is how sins are forgiven, and that there are believers in Acts 10 that received the Holy Spirit before water baptism, so were clearly saved and then baptized.

That’s what’s wrong with that picture.

Plus John said Jesus would baptize with the Holy Spirit instead of water, Peter did not specify water baptism.

Acts 19 BSB
Acts 19:2
And he said to them, “Did you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed?” And they said, “No, we have not even heard that there is a Holy Spirit.”

"Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. " Acts 2:38

The Baptism of Jesus
Luke 3:21 When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as He was praying, heaven was opened and the Holy Spirit descended on Him in a bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased."

Acts 2 Baptism by the holy spirit
Bible Gateway passage: Acts 2:1-13 - New English Translation

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for your response Truther.

Would see as all human spiritually dead at birth ~ Until they become aware of the truth about God, and to come to knowledge about the Lord Jesus Christ, and either make a choice to accept it or reject it. Follow and seek for truth, found in the Gospel of Christ.

Becoming spiritually reborn again by God given faith by having come to knowledge of the truth about the Lord Jesus Christ, and all of the free offers of abundant life that is given to those who are believers who make the choice to continue to abide in the vine.
You're welcome.

Now, if some of these spiritual zombies that refuse to be baptized for the remission of their sins, get baptized to satisfy another insignificant reason, they are officially buried alive.

Romans 6 is only per water baptism as our burial.

How frightening.

They must stay away from water when the name of Jesus Christ is spoken to be safe.

Reactions: MatthewG