Acts 2:38 has been abandoned by Christianity

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL! In a way they are aren't they? Altering minds to follow a track away from spiritual truth.

Did you watch the movie, God's Not Dead?

Kevin Sorbo played a college professor, lapsed Christian, an apostate, turned atheist.

I would wonder if the writer of the screenplay was using the actual New Testament professor and author Bart Ehrman as his model for the Sorbo character?

What I find shocking with regard to BE is, he remains tenured at a Christian college.
He's of that intention you refered to. Leading students and consumers of his books, away from the faith.

Someone I had as a client years ago said their son back then was considering attending his coarse at UNC Chapel Hill.

On that day the son had taken to visit the campus and sit in on perspective coarses he happened into BH's class. The start of a new semester.
Professor Eherman opened his personal intro to himself and the coarse by asking people to raise their hand if they believed in God.
It's a NT studies series so of course hands went up all over the hall.
BH then told them, by the time they had finished his coarse they would be atheists.
My clients son ended up enrolling in Princeton's theological seminary. BH's alma matter.

Course, not coarse.

I’d like to ask the dean why they allow an atheist to teach there.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you only accept that versions like the KJV have got this right? in #55 I have shown that almost all recent English translation have "forgiveness"

No....
The KJV is the most inaccurate Bible we have in print. Not horrible. But it has a history of inaccuracies and corrections.
The KJV is the Bible set to poetry....beautiful. Some of these Bibles are very valuable, particularly the ones that have humorous mistakes in the printing. But they do not make the best study bibles.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Except the two terms are the same, per the word FORGIVENESS here:

Act 13:38 Be G2077  it known G1110  unto you G5213  therefore, G3767  men G435  and brethren, G80  that G3754  through G1223  this man G5127  is preached G2605  unto you G5213  the forgiveness G859  of sins: G266 

G859 (Strong)

ἄφεσις

aphesis

af'-es-is

From G863; freedom; (figuratively) pardon: - deliverance, forgiveness, liberty, remission.

Total KJV occurrences: 17
They are both relating to the removal of sins...
If your sins are remitted=0 sins
If your sins are forgiven=0 sins
The terms are mostly interchangeable.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Virtually all denominations baptize new converts, so I wouldn't go so far as to say that. What happened is most denominations don't present the gospel in the same manner as Peter did. Which is the curious point. But most do in fact baptize.
They baptize any way they can but in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of their sins per Acts 2:38.

The RCC(mama) has forbid them to take it all the way.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sounds like heresy to me. I've seen members here denying baptism, but I thought that was just some people that were misled which is probably a norm for members of forums like this. I didn't really think it was a movement though. That's too bad :(
The vast majority of "Christians" globally ignore and attempt to debunk Acts 2:38.

Reactions: dev553344

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"spoken"? Can a mute person ever be IN the name? Is one person always dependent on other people in order to approach God?
"Immersed in water"? How about being immersed in the Spirit of God?

Is the Holy Ghost not involved even before a man has fully decided to follow God?
Yes, the name of Jesus must be spoken. The majority of Christians run from the name regarding water baptism, which is BOTH word and deed.

Amazed@grace

Apr 1, 2021
futurum, ubi non sunt atheus troglodytae
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Course, not coarse.
Yes. I finally surrendered to smart phone's auto-correct after the third try to write, course.

I’d like to ask the dean why they allow an atheist to teach there.
I don't doubt the dean has had a great many such inquiries.
If you happen to call and ask, please post their response here.

I'm thinking it may have to do with a charge of religious discrimination, should they relieve him of his job. And his tenure could play a part. That's a guess.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
this shows the depth of your ignorance of Bible Doctrine! The fact that The God of the Holy Bible IS eternally The Holy Trinity, is THE Most Important Teaching in the entire Bible. To get this wrong, leaves you in darkness that no one can remove. Unitarianism is a demonic LIE from the devil himself, and the cause of untold millions ending up in eternal punishment.
You misunderstood.

I meant BOTH trinitarians and unitarians despise using the verbal name of Jesus during water baptism.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I understand it, this thread isn't actually about a message as such. (But this is your thread so please correct me if I am wrong.) The talk concerns a ritual, which is said to be mandatory for salvation. By its very nature, prescribed rituals are necessarily formulaic and any deviation from the ritual disqualifies it as a holy, consecrated act. The talk assumes that Acts 2:38 is a formulaic ritual and asks why the churches have abandoned, or is in the process of abandoning it.

I cited Acts 19, because it contains similar language to Acts 2, but with an additional element. Whereas Peter exhorts his kinsmen to be baptized in the name of Jesus in order to receive the Holy Spirit; those in Acts 19 didn't receive the Holy Spirit until Paul placed his hands on them. The difference between these two examples is strong evidence that Acts 2 is NOT a formulaic ritual to be performed perfectly and according to a script.
Would you tell Peter that his Acts 2:38 command is a ritual if you were one of the 3000 that asked "what shall we do"?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you only accept that versions like the KJV have got this right? in #55 I have shown that almost all recent English translation have "forgiveness"
On your point for translation of forgiveness....remission and forgiveness are virtually interchangable...in that the end result is the same. Regardless of the Greek formality....

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Per Acts 3:19, it’s the repenting that gets our sins forgiven, backed up by Acts 10, where Peter says those hearing him preach had been filled with the Holy Spirit, and so could then be water baptized, in Acts 10:44-48.

The Holy Spirit is not given to the unsaved, thus they were saved by faith, before water baptism.

Water baptism is the outward washing of the body that can be seen, that is symbolic of the inward washing of regeneration from the Holy Spirit, that can’t be seen.

Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;

Thus water baptism is for the already saved, and is not done to get saved.

Shalom.
You just debunked Acts 2:38(also Mark 16:16).

Clever.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, the name of Jesus must be spoken. The majority of Christians run from the name regarding water baptism, which is BOTH word and deed.
Thank you for your response. As an old former member of UPC I have not left it all, but I cannot embrace your conclusions here.

Reactions: Truther

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
See my post #40, that debunks water baptism as being our co-savior.
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
LOL! In a way they are aren't they? Altering minds to follow a track away from spiritual truth.

Did you watch the movie, God's Not Dead?

Kevin Sorbo played a college professor, lapsed Christian, an apostate, turned atheist.

I would wonder if the writer of the screenplay was using the actual New Testament professor and author Bart Ehrman as his model for the Sorbo character?

What I find shocking with regard to BE is, he remains tenured at a Christian college.
He's of that intention you refered to. Leading students and consumers of his books, away from the faith.

Someone I had as a client years ago said their son back then was considering attending his coarse at UNC Chapel Hill.

On that day the son had taken to visit the campus and sit in on perspective coarses he happened into BH's class. The start of a new semester.
Professor Eherman opened his personal intro to himself and the coarse by asking people to raise their hand if they believed in God.
It's a NT studies series so of course hands went up all over the hall.
BH then told them, by the time they had finished his coarse they would be atheists.
My clients son ended up enrolling in Princeton's theological seminary. BH's alma matter.
All I can say to that is...WOW!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The majority? I will go along with it is definitely a new trend. It is like OSAS, except for Calvinism, it is a new fad.
My advice to all is to obey Acts 2:38 and associate themselves with the 3000 on the day of Pentecost, not some offshoot religion.

GRACE ambassador

Mar 1, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Last edited:

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Q: Does God Actually Require the OT water ritual, Today, Under GRACE?: No? According to: 13 Bible baptisms
Since Christian baptism is NOT an OT ritual, you are creating a straw man. Kindly study the New Testament exclusively for Christian baptism. Which is indeed under grace, and is a COMMAND of God our Savior -- the Lord Jesus Christ.

Reactions: Amazed@grace