Acts 2:38 is hidden from Christendom like Jesus is hidden from the blinded Jews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have it turned around. I was saying the opposite of this. The use of Jesus' Name is *not* a code word, is not a pin number. ;) Magic is the occult or a trick--miracles are done *by the will of God.* To do something in the name of Jesus is to do something by the will of God, representing His Son. If you try to do something in the name of Jesus, but not according to God's will, you are misrepresenting Jesus' name!
You think to baptize in the name of Jesus Christ is to not say the name of Jesus Christ.
That is the equivalent to doing miracles in the name of Jesus Christ by not saying the name of Jesus Christ.
This is bizarre ideology in Christendom.

You are a purveyor of it.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think to baptize in the name of Jesus Christ is to not say the name of Jesus Christ.
That is the equivalent to doing miracles in the name of Jesus Christ by not saying the name of Jesus Christ.

You are very mixed up, and I think your favored doctrine is rendering you incapable of understanding what I've said. I *never* said anybody should *not* use the name of Jesus except in one case. And that is when the thing we want to see isn't God's will. Shame on you if nothing you want is God's will. In that case you should *never* use Jesus' name.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are very mixed up, and I think your favored doctrine is rendering you incapable of understanding what I've said. I *never* said anybody should *not* use the name of Jesus except in one case. And that is when the thing we want to see isn't God's will. Shame on you if nothing you want is God's will. In that case you should *never* use Jesus' name.
Is that one case of NEVER using the name of Jesus, this?...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, ...

Do you care about everything else but the remission of sins?

Does water alone scare you or Jesus name scare you while in the water?

Ever been in a bath tub or a jacuzzi?

It is really not that bad.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I cannot imaging myself leaving this life into eternity without being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of my sins.

I would baptize myself in the name of Jesus in private if I was facing this situation.

I especially would not be telling others to NOT be baptized in the name of Jesus for the remission of their sins.

The dark prince is behind that stuff.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is that one case of NEVER using the name of Jesus, this?...
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, ...

Do you care about everything else but the remission of sins?
Does water alone scare you or Jesus name scare you while in the water?
Ever been in a bath tub or a jacuzzi?
It is really not that bad.

Peter explicitly said that getting baptized is *not* taking a bath. Obviously, you don't grasp that.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

No, what I specifically said is that one would *not* be able to do miracles if he doesn't do it in the name of Jesus *properly,* ie by the will and guidance of God.
I cannot imaging myself leaving this life into eternity without being baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of my sins.

I would baptize myself in the name of Jesus in private if I was facing this situation.

I especially would not be telling others to NOT be baptized in the name of Jesus for the remission of their sins.

The dark prince is behind that stuff.

I wouldn't get all worried about not getting your religious rites in order. God isn't like that. If you don't cross your "t"s and dot your "i"s, you're going to Hell! ;)

I understand where you get this, but disagree. The Bible is assuming one knows that baptism is just an appendage to the critical element of faith. When we believe in Jesus and get publicly baptized, it is assumed one recognizes that faith in Jesus is the important element--baptism is just an appendage. It is a public testimony of what has already saved you!!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Peter explicitly said that getting baptized is *not* taking a bath. Obviously, you don't grasp that.
No, he actually did say that baptism saves us and gives us a clean conscience before God. Just a hint.… Remission of sins.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, what I specifically said is that one would *not* be able to do miracles if he doesn't do it in the name of Jesus *properly,* ie by the will and guidance of God.

I wouldn't get all worried about not getting your religious rites in order. God isn't like that. If you don't cross your "t"s and dot your "i"s, you're going to Hell! ;)

I understand where you get this, but disagree. The Bible is assuming one knows that baptism is just an appendage to the critical element of faith. When we believe in Jesus and get publicly baptized, it is assumed one recognizes that faith in Jesus is the important element--baptism is just an appendage. It is a public testimony of what has already saved you!!
Water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins is not a “religious rite or ritual ”. It is the plan of salvation for the 3000 in the book of Acts that asked Peter what they must do to be saved after being accused of murdering Jesus.
Kinda like us today.
We are all responsible for the death of Jesus Christ just as those that put him to death were. We have the same obligation as the 3000 in the book of Acts had to obey Acts 2:38.
We are not better people than they are. And we do not subscribe to a different plan of salvation as they did. That is modernism and treachery.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was water baptized in the Mormon church which performed it in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was water baptized in the Mormon church which performed it in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

Perfect. That's precisely the point! Thank you! :)

Those who thank Water Baptism saves them by that *name alone* are failing to see that it is Jesus who saves them--not the ritual! But most definitely--you need to get baptized with the right spirit and the right motive. And it must be the real Jesus--not a Mormon Jesus.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....which makes the Mormons brethren with all the Acts 2:38 skippers.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, he actually did say that baptism saves us and gives us a clean conscience before God. Just a hint.… Remission of sins.

That is legalism. You're not saved by any ritual, but by repentance in Jesus' name.

The repentance is necessary in order to be forgiven. It must be in Jesus' name or you won't have a spiritual life to turn to in place of your own.

Otherwise, the repentance will be insufficient--form without the necessary substance. It will be partial repentance without a complete change to what God requires for eternal life.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is legalism. You're not saved by any ritual, but by repentance in Jesus' name.

The repentance is necessary in order to be forgiven. It must be in Jesus' name or you won't have a spiritual life to turn to in place of your own.

Otherwise, the repentance will be insufficient--form without the necessary substance. It will be partial repentance without a complete change to what God requires for eternal life.
This is legalism?...

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience....

Is your conscience saved via baptism or by your personal thoughts?

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins is not a “religious rite or ritual ”.

The problem with this is that you're reading "formula" into what was meant to be assurance that with repentance, and all of the attendant behaviors, a person will be forgiven and receive eternal life. Being Water Baptized is an "attendant behavior," and not the part that actually saves.

Faith that saves can be illustrated in any number of ways, by choosing to convert to Christ, by choosing to be Water Baptized, by going forward to an altar, by confessing Jesus to others, etc. etc. Faith does not require Water Baptism, Communion, or even the ability to speak, to confess in your heart your trust in Jesus as your chosen way of life. The external rituals merely reinforce your faith in Jesus, as well as your choice to follow him.

The essential part is recognizing that you need Jesus, that you need to repent in his name. That means you are not only sorry for bad behaviors and intend to change, but you also choose to live in the Spirit of Christ so that when you repent you go from your carnality to a true spirituality.

And that true spirituality resides in Jesus. Hence, you take the *name of Jesus* in your Baptism, which is exactly the same as Baptism in the Spirit, or Baptism in the Father, Son, and Spirit, etc.

It is not a formula but a spiritual reality. You have to convert to that reality to be saved. The external rituals are attendant behaviors--not the central message.

For Charismatic/Pentecostal persons like myself, I would assure them that I understand "Baptism in the Spirit" means not just Salvation, but also Gifts of the Spirit. :)

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The problem with this is that you're reading "formula" into what was meant to be assurance that with repentance and all of the attendant behaviors a person will be forgiven and receive eternal life. Being Water Baptized is an "attendant behavior," and not the part that actually saves. Faith that saves can be illustrated in any number of ways, by choosing to convert to Christ, by choosing to be Water Baptized, by going forward to an altar, by confessing Jesus to others, etc. etc.

The essential part is recognizing that you need Jesus, that you need to repent in his name. That means you are not only sorry for bad behaviors and intend to change, but you also choose to live in the Spirit of Christ so that when you repent you go from your carnality to a true spirituality. And that true spirituality resides in Jesus. Hence, you take the *name of Jesus* in your Baptism, which is exactly the same as Baptism in the Spirit, or Baptism in the Father, Son, and Spirit, etc.

It is not a formula but a spiritual reality. You have to convert to that reality to be saved. The external rituals are attendant behaviors--not the central message.
Behold, Peter's "formula"...

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience....

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...

....which is scowled at in modern Christendom, from the RCC to the protestants, to the JW's and to the Mormons etc.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Behold, Peter's "formula"...

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...

Don't you even understand what Peter is saying? He is saying it is not like taking a bath, which removes pollution. It doesn't remove sin, as if all you need to do is take a bath, jump in a river, or recite your formula "in Jesus' name!"

Rather, it is a sign of genuine repentance through the spiritual power Christ gives us when we put our faith in him to enable us to fully repent. You are so insistent on your formula that you don't even seem to understand what the apostles mean.

There is an enormous difference, in Christian theology, between reciting a formula "in Jesus' name" and actually repenting in Jesus' name. To repent in Jesus' name is to repent *through the power of Jesus.* But you don't get that.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is legalism?...

Is your conscience saved via baptism or by your personal thoughts?

This is legalism if you think the form is what saves, instead of the substance. Reciting a formula is an external rite, and can certain reflect someone's legalism. What determines that or not is whether the person depends on the formula for Salvation or depends on Christ himself for Salvation.

"In Jesus' name" means that a person casts himself upon the Lord who cares for him. It is leaning on his spiritual power to be transformed through the power of the Spirit of Christ.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water baptism in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins is not a “religious rite or ritual ”. It is the plan of salvation for the 3000 in the book of Acts that asked Peter what they must do to be saved after being accused of murdering Jesus.
Kinda like us today.
We are all responsible for the death of Jesus Christ just ..

Water Baptism is *not* the Plan of Salvation. Many people mis-read Peter's statement that Water Baptism "saves us." This is a "manner of speaking," like saying, "that phone call saved me."

In reality, a phone doesn't save anybody. Neither does Water Baptism save anybody, unless it is understood as a manner of speaking, suggesting that it symbolizes the salvation Christ brings to us when he enables us to convert from our sinful lifestyle to living in his Spirit.

It is the conversion that saves--not the Water Baptism that illustrates that choice.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Then you don't understand what he meant. Peter explicitly said it was *not* the removal of bodily pollution. By this line of reasoning, it doesn't remove sin at all, such as water removes dirt. It saves us how? It is representative of an act of the conscience that happened when a person first believes--not when he gets baptized.

The baptism is a follow through of the initial act of responding to God's word to our conscience. It is not anything more than a picture of how Salvation works. The word of God comes to us. We respond by repenting. And the word of God cleanses us as we surrender our lives for the life of Christ.

That happens well before Water Baptism, which is just a visual representation of the same for the purpose of public testimonial. It is not actually the visual representation that saves, but what it represents that saves, namely Christ's spiritual cleansing.

Zech 13.“On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity."

Titus 3.5 He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

Water Baptism began under the Old Covenant via John the Baptist's calling. As such, it was, like the Law, part of temporal worship before Christ had provide his atonement for sin, and had given us the Holy Spirit.

Heb 9.10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Don't you even understand what Peter is saying? He is saying it is not like taking a bath, which removes pollution. It doesn't remove sin, as if all you need to do is take a bath, jump in a river, or recite your formula "in Jesus' name!"

Rather, it is a sign of genuine repentance through the spiritual power Christ gives us when we put our faith in him to enable us to fully repent. You are so insistent on your formula that you don't even seem to understand what the apostles mean.

There is an enormous difference, in Christian theology, between reciting a formula "in Jesus' name" and actually repenting in Jesus' name. To repent in Jesus' name is to repent *through the power of Jesus.* But you don't get that.
Peter was saying the conscience gets a bath via baptism(in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins).

If you have not obeyed Acts 2:38, your conscience condemns you as it is guilty of sins.

You can't use mind over matter here.

Obey Acts 2:38.