Acts 2:38 is hidden from Christendom like Jesus is hidden from the blinded Jews

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is legalism if you think the form is what saves, instead of the substance. Reciting a formula is an external rite, and can certain reflect someone's legalism. What determines that or not is whether the person depends on the formula for Salvation or depends on Christ himself for Salvation.

"In Jesus' name" means that a person casts himself upon the Lord who cares for him. It is leaning on his spiritual power to be transformed through the power of the Spirit of Christ.
Baptism in the name of Jesus for the remission of their sins to the first century church was a sacred calling from God.

The modernists despise it and loathe it today.

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Water Baptism is *not* the Plan of Salvation. Many people mis-read Peter's statement that Water Baptism "saves us." This is a "manner of speaking," like saying, "that phone call saved me."

In reality, a phone doesn't save anybody. Neither does Water Baptism save anybody, unless it is understood as a manner of speaking, suggesting that it symbolizes the salvation Christ brings to us when he enables us to convert from our sinful lifestyle to living in his Spirit.

It is the conversion that saves--not the Water Baptism that illustrates that choice.
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins

I guess the modernist was thinking that the 3000 were asking "what shall we do for dinner"?

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Then you don't understand what he meant. Peter explicitly said it was *not* the removal of bodily pollution. By this line of reasoning, it doesn't remove sin at all, such as water removes dirt. It saves us how? It is representative of an act of the conscience that happened when a person first believes--not when he gets baptized.

The baptism is a follow through of the initial act of responding to God's word to our conscience. It is not anything more than a picture of how Salvation works. The word of God comes to us. We respond by repenting. And the word of God cleanses us as we surrender our lives for the life of Christ.

That happens well before Water Baptism, which is just a visual representation of the same for the purpose of public testimonial. It is not actually the visual representation that saves, but what it represents that saves, namely Christ's spiritual cleansing.

Zech 13.“On that day a fountain will be opened to the house of David and the inhabitants of Jerusalem, to cleanse them from sin and impurity."

Titus 3.5 He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit.

Water Baptism began under the Old Covenant via John the Baptist's calling. As such, it was, like the Law, part of temporal worship before Christ had provide his atonement for sin, and had given us the Holy Spirit.

Heb 9.10 They are only a matter of food and drink and various ceremonial washings—external regulations applying until the time of the new order.
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved...

The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us ...

Repent and obey Acts 2:38, modernist.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You skipped the middle of Acts 2:38..."in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins"...

I saw that.

You are anti-Jesus' name.

You know that it is the name of Jesus that remits sins, but there is something inside you that wants to remove the name of Jesus from remitting folks' sins.

You need to find out what is going on inside you that compels you to do that.

Halloween is over.
From Early Christians taught by the Apostles wrote:

“Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in flowing water,” (Didache Chapter 7).

References
1↑ Justin Martyr, First Apology, Chapter 61
2↑ Allan Menzies, The Ante-Nicene Fathers: Volume 9 (Hendrickson Publishing, 1994) 128
3↑ Clementine Homilies, Homily 11, Chapter 26
4↑ Irenaeus Against Heresies, Book 3, Chapter 11
5↑ Origen, Commentary on Matthew, Book 7, Chapter 20
6↑ Origen, Commentary on John, Book 10, Chapter 7

For a ton more google Matthew 28:19 newadvent.org

Truther

Dec 2, 2019
Lodi
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From Early Christians taught by the Apostles wrote:

“Having first said all these things, baptize into the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, in flowing water,” (Didache Chapter 7).

References
1↑ Justin Martyr, First Apology, Chapter 61
2↑ Allan Menzies, The Ante-Nicene Fathers: Volume 9 (Hendrickson Publishing, 1994) 128
3↑ Clementine Homilies, Homily 11, Chapter 26
4↑ Irenaeus Against Heresies, Book 3, Chapter 11
5↑ Origen, Commentary on Matthew, Book 7, Chapter 20
6↑ Origen, Commentary on John, Book 10, Chapter 7

For a ton more google Matthew 28:19 newadvent.org
Fake news extra Biblical commentators.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ezekiel 36:25
Contemporary English Version
25 I will sprinkle you with clean water, and you will be clean and acceptable to me. I will wash away everything that makes you unclean, and I will remove your disgusting idols.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Fake news extra Biblical commentators.
Grow UP. I used a historical search about how the early church baptised.
They were taught by the apostles themselves. If your theology does not line up with theirs then you are teaching another gospel.

Reactions: Illuminator

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From my Jewish upbringing, I know that the phrase, "in the name of" has to do with authority.

Acts 3:6
But Peter said, “I don't have any silver or gold! But I will give you what I do have. In the name of Jesus Christ from Nazareth, get up and start walking.”
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
Acts 3:16
You see this man, and you know him. He put his faith in the name of Jesus and was made strong. Faith in Jesus made this man completely well while everyone was watching.
Acts 4:30
Show your mighty power, as we heal people and work miracles and wonders in the name of your holy Servant Jesus.
Acts 5:28
“We told you plainly not to teach in the name of Jesus. But look what you have done! You have been teaching all over Jerusalem, and you are trying to blame us for his death.”
Acts 5:40
and they called the apostles back in. They had them beaten with a whip and warned them not to speak in the name of Jesus. Then they let them go.
Acts 8:16
Before this, the Holy Spirit had not been given to any of them, though some of them had been baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 9:21
Everyone who heard Saul was amazed and said, “Isn't this the man who caused so much trouble for those people in Jerusalem who worship in the name of Jesus? Didn't he come here to arrest them and take them to the chief priests?”
Acts 9:27
Then Barnabas helped him by taking him to the apostles. He explained how Saul had seen the Lord and how the Lord had spoken to him. Barnabas also said when Saul was in Damascus, he had spoken bravely in the name of Jesus.
Acts 10:48
Peter ordered them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ, and they asked him to stay on for a few days.
Acts 16:18
This went on for several days. Finally, Paul got so upset that he turned and said to the spirit, “In the name of Jesus Christ, I order you to leave this girl alone!” At once the evil spirit left her.
Acts 19:5
After the people heard Paul say this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus.
Acts 19:13
Some Jewish men started going around trying to force out evil spirits by using the name of the Lord Jesus. They said to the spirits, “Come out in the name of that same Jesus that Paul preaches about!”
Romans 1:8
A Prayer of Thanks
First, I thank God in the name of Jesus Christ for all of you. I do this because people everywhere in the world are talking about your faith.
1 Corinthians 5:3-4
I am with you only in my thoughts. But in the name of our Lord Jesus I have already judged this man, as though I were with you in person. So when you meet together and the power of the Lord Jesus is with you, I will be there too.
1 Corinthians 16:19
Greetings from the churches in Asia. Aquila and Priscilla, together with the church that meets in their house, send greetings in the name of the Lord.
Colossians 3:17
Whatever you say or do should be done in the name of the Lord Jesus, as you give thanks to God the Father because of him.
1 Thessalonians 5:27
In the name of the Lord I beg you to read this letter to all his followers.
2 Thessalonians 3:6
Warnings against Laziness
My dear friends, in the name of the Lord Jesus, I beg you not to have anything to do with any of your people who loaf around and refuse to obey the instructions we gave you.
Hebrews 13:15
Our sacrifice is to keep offering praise to God in the name of Jesus.
James 5:14
If you are sick, ask the church leaders to come and pray for you. Ask them to put olive oil on you in the name of the Lord.
1 John 2:12
Children, I am writing you, because your sins have been forgiven in the name of Christ.
Revelation 10:6
He made a promise in the name of God who lives forever and who created heaven, earth, the sea, and every living creature. The angel said, “You won't have to wait any longer.

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Sabellius soon became the leader of the Monarchians in Rome, perhaps even before the death of Zephyrinus (c. 218). He is said by Epiphanius to have founded his views on the Gospel according to the Egyptians, and the fragments of that apocryphon support this statement. Hippolytus hoped to convert Sabellius to his own views, and attributed his failure in this to the influence of Callistus. That pope, however, excommunicated Sabellius c. 220 ("fearing me", says Hippolytus). Hippolytus accuses Callistus of now inventing a new heresy by combining the views of Theodotus and those of Sabellius, although he excommunicated them both (see POPE CALLISTUS I). Sabellius was apparently still in Rome when Hippolytus wrote the Philosophumena (between 230 and 235)."
CATHOLIC ENCYCLOPEDIA: Monarchians

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"A third-century presbyter named Sabellius began to emphasize in his church (probably in Rome) the oneness of God, as opposed to God’s tri-unity. In fact, Sabellius went so far as to say that there are no distinctions between the “persons” of the Godhead—the one God manifests Himself at different times and for different purposes in three different “modes” or “aspects.” This teaching, called “Sabellianism,” grew out of earlier forms of Modalistic Monarchianism.

None of the writings of Sabellius have survived to this day, so what we know of his teaching comes from the writings of those who refuted his errors. It seems that, according to Sabellianism, God manifested as the Father at creation, as the Son in redemption, and as the Spirit in sanctification. For years, Sabellianism was quite popular in some parts of the world, but it was finally declared a heresy, and Sabellius was excommunicated in AD 220.

One opponent of Sabellianism was Hippolytus of Rome, a contemporary of Sabellius. Hippolytus wrote against the heresy of Sabellianism in his Philosophumena (Refutation of All Heresies). Tertullian also strongly opposed Sabellianism, pointing out its error of Patripassianism (the teaching that the Father suffered with the Son on the cross). Other Christian leaders who had to fight against Sabellianism include Dionysius of Alexandria and Basil the Great. Sabellianism cropped up again during the time of the Reformation in the teaching of Michael Servetus and more recently in Swedenborgianism. Different labels, same lie.

Sabellian baptisms were performed in one name only, not in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Insisting upon a non-Trinitarian formula ignores Jesus’ words that emphasize God’s triune nature in Matthew 28:19, “Go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.”

Sabellianism is an unbiblical denial of the eternal distinctions among the Persons of the Trinity. On one level, it is easy to see why Sabellianism has been so popular throughout the centuries—it is certainly much easier to understand Sabellianism than it is to understand the biblical doctrine of the Trinity. However, the Bible presents God as one God and also speaks of three Persons. As difficult as it is to understand, the Trinity is the truth. The Athanasian Creed puts it well: “We worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity; Neither confounding the persons nor dividing the substance. For there is one person of the Father, another of the Son, and another of the Holy Spirit. . . . So the Father is God, the Son is God, and the Holy Spirit is God; And yet they are not three Gods, but one God.”"
What is Sabellianism? | GotQuestions.org

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Heretics of the second and third centuries. The word, Monarchiani, was first used by Tertullian as a nickname for the Patripassian group (adv. Prax., x), and was seldom used by the ancients. In modern times it has been extended to an earlier group of heretics, who are distinguished as Dynamistic, or Adoptionist, Monarchians from the Modalist Monarchians, or Patripassians [Sabellians]."
"The Monarchians properly so-called (Modalists) exaggerated the oneness of the Father and the Son so as to make them but one Person; thus the distinctions in the Holy Trinity are energies or modes, not Persons: God the Father appears on earth as Son; hence it seemed to their opponents that Monarchians made the Father suffer and die."

The Learner

Aug 21, 2022
Brighton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sure.

The RCC skips Acts 2:38 for the titles.

The mainline denominations do the same.

The JW's also baptize in the titles.

The Mormons baptize in the titles.

The Baptists...

The independents....

They all fight Acts 2:38.

Even the seminary is risen up as a supreme goal to attempt to debunk Jesus name baptism.

Clearly you do not know of what you speak.

"At the close of the convention baptism talk, the baptism candidates will be in position to answer with depth of understanding and heartfelt appreciation two simple questions that serve to confirm that they recognize the implications of following Christ's example.

The first question is:
On the basis of the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, have you repented of your sins and dedicated yourself to Jehovah to do his will?

The second is:
Do you understand that your dedication and baptism identify you as one of Jehovah's Witnesses in association with God's spirit-directed organization? Having answered yes to these questions, candidates are in a right heart condition to undergo Christian baptism." Watchtower 1985 Jun 1 p.30

In 2019, reference to the holy spirit was removed altogether.

“(1) “Have you repented of your sins, dedicated yourself to Jehovah, and accepted his way of salvation through Jesus Christ?”

(2) “Do you understand that your baptism identifies you as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses in association with Jehovah’s organization?””
baptism-questions-2019.jpg

ANNOUNCEMENTS AND REMINDERS May 2019
Rather than follow the Biblical example of confession in Christ prior to baptism, a Witness must prove they intricately know Watchtower doctrine and law, and devote themselves to an organization - the Watchtower Society.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Who cares about the Early Church Fathers? Their writings aren't inspired therefore they don't mean anything.

OIP.Xa9j0iIpR8UmY2SNUWY4jQHaEx

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins...
16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved...
The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us ...
Repent and obey Acts 2:38, modernist.

Okay, I've said my bit. We're not going to agree. I'll never believe Water Baptism is necessary for Salvation or is the agency of our Salvation. But you can believe according to your own conscience.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Sabellius soon became the leader of the Monarchians in Rome, perhaps even before the death of Zephyrinus (c. 218). He is said by Epiphanius to have founded his views on the Gospel according to the Egyptians, and the fragments of that apocryphon support this statement. Hippolytus hoped to convert Sabellius to his own views, and attributed his failure in this to the influence of Callistus. That pope, however, excommunicated Sabellius c. 220 ("fearing me", says Hippolytus). Hippolytus accuses Callistus of now inventing a new heresy by combining the views of Theodotus and those of Sabellius, although he excommunicated them both (see POPE CALLISTUS I). Sabellius was apparently still in Rome when Hippolytus wrote the Philosophumena (between 230 and 235)."

For a short time I was in a modalist cult--at the time it was Witness Lee's group. It got me interested in the Trinity.

And I happen to live in the same County where I could hear Walter Martin, the Bible Answerman, discuss this. I had to come up with my own definition.

But modalism is definitely not an option. If you're going to have a real man, Jesus, who is divine, then by all logic you must have at least two divine Persons, the Man Jesus and the transcendent, omnipresent Deity, the Father.

And in reality, you will still have to have the Holy Spirit as a Person, as well, because a transcendent Spirit who is everywhere must also be in each place, where He would be identified locally as "the Holy Spirit."

So God is necessarily a Trinity if indeed there is a divine Man. And if God is a Spirit, there must be a 3rd Person called "the Holy Spirit." But please don't call me a heretic if I say it is more possible for God to be an infinite number of divine Persons than it is for God to be a single Person! ;)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
....which makes the Mormons brethren with all the Acts 2:38 skippers.
I'm not really sure what you're trying to teach here. We are to be baptized in the name of the Father the Son and the Holy Ghost. And the Mormons did that for me and it was a good baptism.

Matthew 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: