After 50 some years I became saved

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
NO ........... You are not !
Eph.2:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Not of works, lest any man should boast

What do you think the Cross was all about ? For our sins......... and till you understand all of that you are not saved.

JESUS went to the cross for us........ HE did not have to do this. But did it for us.......!

AMEN!!
At least you are not only saved now...you also KNOW the Truth which sets us free!!
We can and do, dedicated our children to the Lord and ask Him to bring them to faith. But we cannot get our children saved , I wish we could...salvation is a heart thing...it is a choosing...for every one of us.
Bless you abundantly....it sounds like you already are :)

Reactions: Sword and Job

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Yes you are. Scripture clearly says that you are saved when you are baptised. See post #16
the Book says other things about salvation, too, that lend context to the meaning, "he who holds out to the end will be saved," etc, so to characterize salvation as something that Scripture "clearly says" is more or less just revealing a one dimensional perspective, with all due respect. And a religious perspective on "baptism" to boot, which is not some pointless ritual that one must accomplish in order to check off that box on their "salvation" bucket list, sorry.

Reactions: perrero and Helen

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Desperation?

It was the Catholic Church that gave you the Bible in the first place.

It was the Catholic Church that was translating the Bible into vernacular languages over a 1,000 years before Luther.
Mungo, our last interaction you ended up telling jokes, so with all due respect go and get deprogrammed first, your insurance might even pay for it now, and then maybe we can talk ok. I wish you the best of luck.

Reactions: Helen

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I do not know if my parents or brother and sister are... They stayed Catholic
I enjoyed your testimony.I was saved at age 17, but I had come out, like you, from the C church or religion after being taught so much garbage. I did everything the C church told me to do and yet the weight of my sin remained. (And nobody knows what that weight is like until he is saved and that cursed weight is removed.) Do not listen to these religious C false teachers. Their eyes have been blinded with the shroud of religious indoctrination.
Certainly neither one of us have any knowledge about whether certain people of your family are saved or not. However, I often remind people that the thief on the cross only said "Remember me". He didn't pray a fancy prayer, he wasn't baptized in any way, he never ventured to an altar and yet Jesus said that he would be in paradise with him. So who knows? God will take the cry of a believing soul even on their last breath.

Reactions: Helen and Sword

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I often remind people that the thief on the cross only said "Remember me". He didn't pray a fancy prayer, he wasn't baptized in any way, he never ventured to an altar and yet Jesus said that he would be in paradise with him. So who knows? God will take the cry of a believing soul even on their last breath.
I would also like to add the the philipian jailer asked what must I do? Believe he was told. Believe so simple.

Reactions: perrero

Sword

Nov 13, 2016
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And it is in Baptism that we are given that grace.
You just pull this stuff out of thin air. wheres the scripture I see you rearly use scripture for anything YOU say.

Grams

Jul 11, 2017
brown city
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am a Christian, and do you think I would lie about how I was brought up ?

Some of you think I am lying about the bible....... But Sorry I am not.
We were never told to use a bible ! And the only bible if it was , on the alter.. In Latin.
And only the priest used it, and spoke from it in Latin.
The whole mass was in Latin........
Yes the prayer book had what the priest was saying ? But since I do not understand it , how do I know for sure.

And why make it hard for the people, why could they not speak it in the English Language ?
I had to attend mass 6 day's a week.......... what did I learn from that ...... ?

I do hear its different now........ But back then that was not of help for me.
How board can a child be when having to do this 6 day's a week.:?

Plus you had to go to the confessional to the priest to say you sinned....... so the priest would forgive you !
But I felt like I was going to hell till I did go to the priest..... Now I know and understand.
All about the Cross.......... JESUS did this form our sins..... What a loving GOD and What a loving JESUS !

Reactions: Sword

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I enjoyed your testimony.I was saved at age 17, but I had come out, like you, from the C church or religion after being taught so much garbage. I did everything the C church told me to do and yet the weight of my sin remained. (And nobody knows what that weight is like until he is saved and that cursed weight is removed.) Do not listen to these religious C false teachers. Their eyes have been blinded with the shroud of religious indoctrination.
Certainly neither one of us have any knowledge about whether certain people of your family are saved or not. However, I often remind people that the thief on the cross only said "Remember me". He didn't pray a fancy prayer, he wasn't baptized in any way, he never ventured to an altar and yet Jesus said that he would be in paradise with him. So who knows? God will take the cry of a believing soul even on their last breath.

Excellent! Very true...but people will still argue for the sake of it. :)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I am a Christian, and do you think I would lie about how I was brought up ?

Some of you think I am lying about the bible....... But Sorry I am not.
We were never told to use a bible ! And the only bible if it was , on the alter.. In Latin.
And only the priest used it, and spoke from it in Latin.
The whole mass was in Latin........
Yes the prayer book had what the priest was saying ? But since I do not understand it , how do I know for sure.

And why make it hard for the people, why could they not speak it in the English Language ?
I had to attend mass 6 day's a week.......... what did I learn from that ...... ?

I do hear its different now........ But back then that was not of help for me.
How board can a child be when having to do this 6 day's a week.:?

Plus you had to go to the confessional to the priest to say you sinned....... so the priest would forgive you !
But I felt like I was going to hell till I did go to the priest..... Now I know and understand.
All about the Cross.......... JESUS did this form our sins..... What a loving GOD and What a loving JESUS !

AMEN...don't ever be shaken from that. What others believe about us, and OUR walk with the Lord..has no place in our relationship with God.
How on earth we started in this thread with a good positive testimony and then end up in conflict , just amazes me! LOL

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Absolutely. I agree with that.
And it is in Baptism that we are given that grace.
Eph.2:8
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

Let's see if we can read this correctly. "For by grace ye have been saved through faith" Now I don't know you do it, but I do not see the word baptism here at all.
For someone who can't read, I'm surprised you are able to contribute to this thread.
Jesus said "Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved" (Mk 16:16).
The verse is actually; "He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned." (Notice that he who does not believe, such as a little child, will be damned and there is no mention here of your free ticket of baptism.) Or it would have said "He who believes not but is baptized shall be saved."
The first step is believing NOT being baptized.
Yes you are. Scripture clearly says that you are saved when you are baptised
NO, the scriptures do not clearly say.
Mark 16:16 ("He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned." ) If infant baptism was also true MARK would have said "He who believes not, but nevertheless is baptized, will be saved.
Acts 2:38 Peter tells the crowd they must repent. Can an infant repent?
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Can a child believe, can an infant confess?)
Time to go back to reading school.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Eph.2:8

Let's see if we can read this correctly. "For by grace ye have been saved through faith" Now I don't know you do it, but I do not see the word baptism here at all.

A correct hermeneutic takes ALL scripture into account. There are many scriptures that tell us, explicitly or implicitly that baptism is the normative way of salvation.

For example:
Then everyone who calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.’ (Acts 2:21). This doesn't mention faith or grace.

he saved us….. through the water of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit. (Titus 3:5). This doesn't mention faith or grace.

For someone who can't read, I'm surprised you are able to contribute to this thread.
If you are going to descend to insults I can do them as well.

The verse is actually; "He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned." (Notice that he who does not believe, such as a little child, will be damned and there is no mention here of your free ticket of baptism.) Or it would have said "He who believes not but is baptized shall be saved."The first step is believing NOT being baptized.

I didn't say baptism was the first step. But Jesus told us we need both steps.
"Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved". Not just belief. Note I emboldened the "and" as well as baptism. An "and" means there is more.

NO, the scriptures do not clearly say.
Mark 16:16 ("He that believes and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believes not shall be damned." ) If infant baptism was also true MARK would have said "He who believes not, but nevertheless is baptized, will be saved.
Acts 2:38 Peter tells the crowd they must repent. Can an infant repent?
Romans 10:10 For with the heart man believes unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation. (Can a child believe, can an infant confess?)
Time to go back to reading school.

Infant baptism is a separate(but connected) issue . The dependency is infant baptism on adult baptism not the other way round. Therefore we need to establish the truth of that first (and there is a thread already on infant baptism)

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I would also like to add the the philipian jailer asked what must I do? Believe he was told. Believe so simple.

And then, even before they ate Paul baptised him and all his family at once.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Why all the debate around here, this is the testimony section, praise the Lord for grams getting saved, we should all be rejoicing. Not everyone who calls themselves a Christian or Catholic are born again, they may have had a priests blessing or a pastor dedicating the baby, but that was not the salvation prayer, if any baby dies they go to heaven yes. But when kids become old enough to make a decision, they gotta make the decision for themselves, they gotta pray the salvation prayer, they gotta ask Jesus into their heart, and that age can be a different age for different kids by God's grace, Jesus understands every kid is different, and not every kid is gonna learn about God when they are 3, to be able to make that decision.

But back onto topic, thank God you are saved, one more for Jesus's kingdom, WOOHOOO!! :D

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Then what is the first step?

I shall respect Josho's request to not debate as this is a testimony thread.

There is a topic on Baptism that Grams has started. You can pursue this there if you wish..

Reactions: Helen