Ageing

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am very glad for a computer and iPad as I age. It gives me contact with you guys on here :)
Living in the north as we do, we have winter as another strike against us, as well as aging. Winter too limits us.

I don't enjoy the new 'hobby' age brings with regular doctor and lab tests :oops:
And aging has messed me up somewhat with 'the healing thing'.

In my twenties I learned about healing through Jesus Christ as our portion.
And I had many wonderful Miraculous answers to prayer. I had faith that Gid would always answer even if not instantly every time. But in my 60's and more so when I turned 70, my faith wavered..I'd hit my "three score years and ten"
..so - how could I expect healing on the same level. It got me! :(
I find pressing through to a healing very hard now. I have to pray every time and ask God if I should go to the doctor or stand, for this, that or the other...
I'm a bit on shaky ground there..no solid conviction.

But as a whole..I quite enjoy "the mature years" :)

Thank you @Pearl
Yes, I have been through the same journey.

D

Dave L

I am very glad for a computer and iPad as I age. It gives me contact with you guys on here :)
Living in the north as we do, we have winter as another strike against us, as well as aging. Winter too limits us.

I don't enjoy the new 'hobby' age brings with regular doctor and lab tests :oops:
And aging has messed me up somewhat with 'the healing thing'.

In my twenties I learned about healing through Jesus Christ as our portion.
And I had many wonderful Miraculous answers to prayer. I had faith that Gid would always answer even if not instantly every time. But in my 60's and more so when I turned 70, my faith wavered..I'd hit my "three score years and ten"
..so - how could I expect healing on the same level. It got me! :(
I find pressing through to a healing very hard now. I have to pray every time and ask God if I should go to the doctor or stand, for this, that or the other...

But as a whole..I quite enjoy "the mature years" :)

Thank you @Pearl
I like your new Pic.

But as I understand healing, (this is a corrected word of faith view). Faith comes from God. And if we have it when we pray, it means his will is to provide that need. If we do not have it, it is because he planned something else for us. Faith comes from the Holy Spirit, not from us. Many miss Jesus' word's in Mk 11:24 thinking faith is something they conjure up. This approach has killed many.

Reactions: Pearl

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I like your new Pic.

Im still trying to find a photo which shows my hair it's real colour= GREY!!

Photo's all come out with it looking brown, it should be a nasty dark grey.
Dave's is beautifully white now...he started turning in his 40's!!
My hair was so dark, but with grey it now looks a faded brown, which it is not.
If you look at this one with your nose on the screen you CAN tell that my hair is actually grey. :D

D

Dave L

If you look at this one with your nose on the screen you CAN tell that my hair is actually grey. :D
Still a great pic. I got a new driver's license pic and we were all laughing, especially the ones who took it. I look just like "Cousin Eddy" Randy Quaid with my buzz cut.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I got a new driver's license pic and we were all laughing, especially the ones who took it. I look just like "Cousin Eddy" Randy Quaid with my buzz cut.

:D
Some of them can be horrendous can't they. lol
My hubby's always looks like a convict.

Reactions: Dave L

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ageing is a mystery to me. In some ways I'm more fit than I was at 20. And in other ways no matter how I try to compensate there's not much I can do. Aaron and Moses walked a lot and they were both around 120 when they died. And Moses had great eyesight. I walk a mile or so 6 days a week and it seems to help and my eyes improved with age. I don't need glasses now.
So when are you going to update your Avatar?:cool:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think there was another thread where the comparison between the outward body, and the inward person is different. What I find sad, obviously because I work on a demencia floor, is how the physical and mental deteriation almost irradiates the spiritual expression and understanding of a person.
The only connection comes when old hymns are played.
So, the fact that many of us are not getting any younger, thank God that we can still renew our minds - it is a blessing xx
The only thing I would say is that even though we grow and mature as we get older our ' inner filter ' does go, so perhaps we say things that the younger Christian would not dream of saying !!
- I am not quite there with that one yet......... Lol

I volunteer in an assisted living home, that has a dementia wing. I've learned something priceless from coming to know these people. Empty faces, empty eyes, or worse, filled with confusion and anxiety, not knowing who they are, or where, or why, or anything at all.

But yes, the hymns. And Bible verses. One or the other, and I see them come alive, those that know Christ. And I've learned, the body, the mind, these may decay. But the Spirit is alive in all who are His, and brings life that does not depend on the body.

Faith transcends flesh.

Much love!
Mark

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have to pray every time and ask God if I should go to the doctor or stand, for this, that or the other...

For me its a new adventure every time!

Does God want me to grow from being healed, or grow from being sick?

I find out as I go along.

I find that I have faith to be healed, and faith to be sick.

Great new picture by the way! Where did you find that much sunshine? Aren't you in the Land of Perpetual Darkness and Cold?

Much love!
mark

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I volunteer in an assisted living home, that has a dementia wing. I've learned something priceless from coming to know these people. Empty faces, empty eyes, or worse, filled with confusion and anxiety, not knowing who they are, or where, or why, or anything at all.

But yes, the hymns. And Bible verses. One or the other, and I see them come alive, those that know Christ. And I've learned, the body, the mind, these may decay. But the Spirit is alive in all who are His, and brings life that does not depend on the body.

Faith transcends flesh.

Much love!
Mark
I can vouch for your post that is based on only one sample size. My neighbor developed Parkinson disease and dementia.....a few years ago... he was a pastor....when he can come home from the assisted living place he always comes over to see me on the front porch. What gets him normalized is when I speak scripture or what God says for our lives. I can see his face come alive with focus and a smile.

Yes faith with the Spirit always trumps the flesh. These are real life stories and indicators of the power of the Spirit inside a person, whatever state of being they are in.

Uplifting, indeed,,,bless you for sharing this example with us...APAK

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

I like that. :)
I often remember what the three Hebrews said when told about the fiery furnace...
"Our God will deliver us , but if not, we will still not bow down...."

And King David when his baby was sick unto death. He prayed all the while the baby was alive , but when they brought him news that the baby had died, 'he arose, washed and anointed himself, and went up to God house to worship.'
As you say, either way, we have faith in God and are winners either way.

I do remember the first time I 'pushed through being sick.
It was only a bad flu, vomiting , chills , fever etc etc..but each time I vomited, I praise the Lord, and said out loud .. - " I believe in healing, I thank the Lord that by His stripes I am healed..."
Then I would grab the sick bucket again! lol

I came through that, knowing that sickness did not rule over me, but I ruled over it, it did not get me down or under.

Healing is still a bit of a mystery ..never a home run every time..but like you say...we have faith.

I guess that is how I will 'overcome' until the end, praising God through all times. Good and bad. :)

Reactions: stunnedbygrace

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like that. :)
I often remember what the three Hebrews said when told about the fiery furnace...
"Our God will deliver us , but if not, we will still not bow down...."

And King David when his baby was sick unto death. He prayed all the while the baby was alive , but when they brought him news that the baby had died, 'he arose, washed and anointed himself, and went up to God house to worship.'
As you say, either way, we have faith in God and are winners either way.

I do remember the first time I 'pushed through being sick.
It was only a bad flu, vomiting , chills , fever etc etc..but each time I vomited, I praise the Lord, and said out loud .. - " I believe in healing, I thank the Lord that by His stripes I am healed..."
Then I would grab the sick bucket again! lol

I came through that, knowing that sickness did not rule over me, but I ruled over it, it did not get me down or under.

Healing is still a bit of a mystery ..never a home run every time..but like you say...we have faith.

I guess that is how I will 'overcome' until the end, praising God through all times. Good and bad. :)

I think so, we praise Him regardless of circumstance, because we trust Him in any circumstance.

The fact is that God has brought wonderful transformations into my life through lengthy illness. I watched him do that with my sister also. She died of cancer after a 4 year struggle, but by her words, she never understood how much God loved her until she was literally dying of cancer.

I don't see "healing in the atonement". Peter wrote, (1 Peter 2)

22 who did not commit sin, nor was guile found in his mouth,
23 who being reviled -- was not reviling again, suffering -- was not threatening, and was committing himself to Him who is judging righteously,
24 who our sins himself did bear in his body, upon the tree, that to the sins having died, to the righteousness we may live; by whose stripes ye were healed,
25 for ye were as sheep going astray, but ye turned back now to the shepherd and overseer of your souls.

In this I see our healing being the restoration of our relationship with God.

Now, regarding our physical infirmities, I think that God variously heals and does not heal depending on which best serves His purpose.

Much love!
Mark

PS . . . love the new picture!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I don't know, it looks rather grey to me!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I don't know, it looks rather grey to me!

Oh good! I'm glad about that :)
I am a young 77. But it is strange how the inside 'feels like' just the same old me that was, ( ie back in the 1950's wearing 5 starched petticoats under a wide full skirt at rock and roll dances :D )

But aging is good too. It has it's upsides. lol

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For me its a new adventure every time!

Does God want me to grow from being healed, or grow from being sick?

Great new picture by the way! Where did you find that much sunshine? Aren't you in the Land of Perpetual Darkness and Cold?

Much love!
mark

I have faith to be healed and faith to be sick too. What a wonderful way to put it!

Reactions: Dave L

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the heck happened. :eek:

I understand what you are saying though I have a slightly different take. I would say 'inside every old person is a person wondering what happened'.

I believe the person, consisting of soul/spirit, ages with the body also. Thus the unbeliever's old body is a direct reflection of the age of his person. The believer however obtained new life when born-again and so the body may not reflect the age of his person. And I believe we will always be 'aging' in our spiritual growth throughout eternity.

This is just me thinking out loud. I'm not going to the martyr's stake over it.

Stranger

Reactions: Helen and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I understand what you are saying though I have a slightly different take. I would say 'inside every old person is a person wondering what happened'.

I believe the person, consisting of soul/spirit, ages with the body also. Thus the unbeliever's old body is a direct reflection of the age of his person. The believer however obtained new life when born-again and so the body may not reflect the age of his person. And I believe we will always be 'aging' in our spiritual growth throughout eternity.

This is just me thinking out loud. I'm not going to the martyr's stake over it.

Stranger
I remember my mum saying that you didn't get mush older in your head she still felt as if she was young inside and it frustrated her. I didn't understand what she meant at the time but I do now. But rather than bemoan the things a can't do I grateful for the things I still can.