Agnostic at heart

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What are you scared about?

Losing my relationship with God. It is the only joy, love, hope and peace I’ve ever fully experienced. If it isn’t true...if He is not true then it has all been in my imagination; something I convinced myself of and I’m tired. I’ve never lived well. I’m not strong. If there is no God...my strength is gone. There is no point to any of it. The grandmother would have prayed for her granddaughter.

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Losing my relationship with God. It is the only joy, love, hope and peace I’ve ever fully experienced. If it isn’t true...if He is not true then it has all been in my imagination; something I convinced myself of and I’m tired. I’ve never lived well. I’m not strong. If there is no God...my strength is gone. There is no point to any of it. The grandmother would have prayed for her granddaughter.
You've got to paint your own picture, otherwise it won't be your masterpiece.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Victory am I reading your post correctly? Are you struggling with your faith? I would like to talk with you about it

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Doubt is a good thing......i was an agnostic Christian for years and I do not regret it at all. One experience in prayer change my heart, but God was always there.

Dan57

Sep 25, 2012
Illinois
Faith
Country
United States
Ok then, how do you know (How does anyone know) that God exists?

There's no tangible or objective evidence to prove the existence of God, but its not so much about convincing, as it is about recognizing the truth... The truth is in the message.

But there is substantive evidence, we have the testimony of witnesses, archeological, historical, and prophetic evidence that the bible is true. Consider Psalm 22, its very specific in describing a crucifixion, which didn't even exist 1000 years prior when David wrote it; "they pierced my hands and my feet" (verse 16). Also consider Psalm 22:18; "They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture" compared to Mark 15:24; "And when they had crucified him, they parted his garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take." The Psalm not only describes a form of execution that didn't exist at the time it was written, but also accurately articulates the action of the Roman soldiers who gambled for his cloths... How specific is that? Read Isaiah 53 and tell me who that chapter is describing?

Reactions: Acolyte

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Doubt is a good thing......i was an agnostic Christian for years and I do not regret it at all. One experience in prayer change my heart, but God was always there.
Let me share an experience I once had.

When I was younger I was invited to a lecture at a hotel in Melbourne by my step mother. When I got there I saw a thin black Hindu woman who gave the lecture. It was about the meaning of relationships and how we are all connected. Frankly I didn't understand most of what she said, and I wanted to leave early on.

After the lecture ended my step mother walked up to me and said "Give her these crystals" I was fairly strong minded back then and I told her no. But I went up to her anyway to pay my respects (Then I wanted to get out of there)

It took three attempts before I engaged her attention, and she just looked at me with this strange smile. I then thought I've done enough and walked to the exit, when I reached the stairs I felt a bolt of lighting hit me in the back of the head. First I saw absolute black, then my eyes opened to a landscape of pure light. Everything there was made from the strongest desire, and I thought in that moment I never wanted to leave.

It only lasted for a few seconds, then the light blurred and I could see I was falling flat on my face. Luckily some people grabbed me before I hit the ground. I have always remembered that experience, and it has driven me to keep going.

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
There's no tangible or objective evidence to prove the existence of God, but its not so much about convincing, as it is about recognizing the truth... The truth is in the message.

But there is substantive evidence, we have the testimony of witnesses, archeological, historical, and prophetic evidence that the bible is true. Consider Psalm 22, its very specific in describing a crucifixion, which didn't even exist 1000 years prior when David wrote it; "they pierced my hands and my feet" (verse 16). Also consider Psalm 22:18; "They part my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture" compared to Mark 15:24; "And when they had crucified him, they parted his garments, casting lots upon them, what every man should take." The Psalm not only describes a form of execution that didn't exist at the time it was written, but also accurately articulates the action of the Roman soldiers who gambled for his cloths... How specific is that? Read Isaiah 53 and tell me who that chapter is describing?
Well what I've researched about the historical events of the bible are that the archaeological evidence is lacking. Take the exodus for example, no evidence is found for a migration of the Jews from Egypt to their promised land.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well what I've researched about the historical events of the bible are that the archaeological evidence is lacking. Take the exodus for example, no evidence is found for a migration of the Jews from Egypt to their promised land.

Indeed. Placing faith in literalism is going to end in disappointment. The writers of the Bible were not writing science or history. They were writing down the cultural and spiritual heritage of the Jewish people. It is a story about their relationship with God and His sovereignty.

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Indeed. Placing faith in literalism is going to end in disappointment.the writers of the Bible were not writing science or history. They were writing down the cultural and spiritual heritage of the Jewish people. It is a story about their relationship with God and His sovereignty.
Now to the prophecies, I'll grant you that most prophecies are accurate to a fault. But there are some that never came true, and there are others that are open to a myriad of interpretations. So the idea that all prophecies in the bible fit future events is hardly true.

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
interesting story! Yes there are certainly things we still do not understand fully. I have had experiences in prayer that have kept me going as well. I have a bit of a Pascal’s wager going on..minus the Hell part. I figure if I spend my life learning how to love more perfectly and there ends up being no God....I will have lived a rich and fulfilling life. If God does exist, bonus!

Last edited:

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Interesting story! Yeah, there are certainly things we do not understand. I sort of have Pascal’s wager sort , Of thing going it doesn’t include Hell....I figure that if God exists and I spend my life learning and practicing how to love
Do you think the Bible is as perfect as God?

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you think the Bible is as perfect as God?

The Bible is perfect enough to convey the gospel, which is to love perfectly . The rest is basically a record of how people have attempted to do so and have failed to meet the mark.

The Bible is not a fourth member of the Trinity

aspen

Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now to the prophecies, I'll grant you that most prophecies are accurate to a fault. But there are some that never came true, and there are others that are open to a myriad of interpretations. So the idea that all prophecies in the bible fit future events is hardly true.

Ok