Agnostic at heart

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Professional scientist and highly religious person speaking here--
Scripture alone doesn't prove or disprove God. It just can't.
Science cannot prove or disprove God, because such is beyond the scope of the scientific method.

If a person truly wants to address questions of "is there really a God" or anything about it, I would recommend earnestly experimenting upon His words and/or asking Him about it directly.

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Professional scientist and highly religious person speaking here--
Scripture alone doesn't prove or disprove God. It just can't.
Science cannot prove or disprove God, because such is beyond the scope of the scientific method.

If a person truly wants to address questions of "is there really a God" or anything about it, I would recommend earnestly experimenting upon His words and/or asking Him about it directly.
But you just said scripture can't prove or disprove God. Anyway, I thought it was Jesus who revels himself and draws mankind near.

Reactions: Waiting on him

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But you just said scripture can't prove or disprove God. Anyway, I thought it was Jesus who revels himself and draws mankind near.
God reveals Himself to those that seek Him. Not just static words in book. God- the living divine almighty.
Hence my recommending to earnestly experimenting upon His words and/or asking Him about it directly.

Reactions: Nancy

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
God reveals Himself to those that seek Him. Not just static words in book. God- the living divine almighty.
Hence my recommending to earnestly experimenting upon His words and/or asking Him about it directly.
Sorry to talk sarcastically here, I've never thought of asking Jesus if he's real. What about the fact he has never answered me back, does that mean he's not real?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry to talk sarcastically here, I've never thought of asking Jesus if he's real. What about the fact he has never answered me back, does that mean he's not real?
If a person is honestly seeking Him and honestly asking / experimenting on His words, I have found that they have found Him. Granted, it's not always at first and God does speak in different ways to different people. Some hypothesis take thorough experimenting with.

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
If a person is honestly seeking Him and honestly asking / experimenting on His words, I have found that they have found Him. Granted, it's not always at first and God does speak in different ways to different people. Some hypothesis take thorough experimenting with.
I've done all that you've suggested, and I haven't had a close encounter of the Godly kind.

What you're saying sounds a little like what Mormons teach. They tell you to pray to their God and find out for yourself, they say "Those who honesty pray will have the truth of their claims answered" I did that, but when their God didn't reveal himself to me they were not satisfied and just said "Do it again" Now my issue with this is, why go through the process of asking if their God is true if it is impossible for me to discover it is not true.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've done all that you've suggested, and I haven't had a close encounter of the Godly kind.

What you're saying sounds a little like what Mormons teach. They tell you to pray to their God and find out for yourself, they say "Those who honesty pray will have the truth of their claims answered" I did that, but when their God didn't reveal himself to me they were not satisfied and just said "Do it again" Now my issue with this is, why go through the process of asking if their God is true if it is impossible for me to discover it is not true.
Again, I'm a scientist: lack of evidence right now does not necessarily mean that X theory isn't true, just that there's a lack of evidence for it. And that's just how a lot of hypothesis's are.

And again, God speaks to people different ways. If a person is expecting to have Road to Damascus experience... well, it isn't flat out impossible, but that's not how God works 99.999% of the time. Understanding/developing how things are perceived is a large part of the process (whether speaking scientifically or theologically).

There is also the matter of experimenting on His words-- going out, giving it a try, and seeing results. Not just once, but multiple times (running repeat experiments is a good thing).

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Again, I'm a scientist: lack of evidence right now does not necessarily mean that X theory isn't true, just that there's a lack of evidence for it.
And again, God speaks to people different ways. If a person is expecting to have Road to Damascus experience... well, it isn't flat out impossible, but that's not how God works 99.999% of the time. Understanding/developing how things are perceived is a large part of the process (whether speaking scientifically or theologically).
You sound like that you're using the God of the gaps theory. Since science lacks the potential to explain so much you claim that therefore your God must be true. Why is your God true? just because of the gaps? When you were a child were you born with an understanding of God already? Isn't God a learned ability? I remember up to my late 20's I didn't need the God of the gaps until someone taught me about sin nature, shame and eternal punishment.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You sound like that you're using the God of the gaps theory.
Not at all.
Since science lacks the potential to explain so much you claim that therefore your God must be true.
Actually I made no such claim.
Why is your God true? just because of the gaps?
You're moving the question here from "how do I know God exists" to "Why is God true". Those are two VERY different questions.
When you were a child were you born with an understanding of God already? Isn't God a learned ability? I remember up to my late 20's I didn't need the God of the gaps until someone taught me about sin nature, shame and eternal punishment.
You are bringing in a lot of more concepts here, some of which I probably have a very different view on than you, so I don't think there's a good way for me to respond to this part in a short fashion. An adequate response would be a lengthy response, going over each part and touching on the many many different topics you mentioned here. Such a lengthy response also won't be a very effective at focus things.

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
Not at all.

Actually I made no such claim.

You're moving the question here from "how do I know God exists" to "Why is God true". Those are two VERY different questions.

You are bringing in a lot of more concepts here, some of which I probably have a very different view on than you, so I don't think there's a good way for me to respond to this part in a short fashion. An adequate response would be a lengthy response, going over each part and touching on the many many different topics you mentioned here. Such a lengthy response also won't be a very effective at focus things.
Ok then, how do you know (How does anyone know) that God exists?

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I can't ask myself to ask your God if he's true again.
You asked me my methods and how I know. I answered. You don't like the answer and don't want to go for it yourself- which is your choice. Your choice doesn't change my answer.

FatalMoves

Feb 9, 2019
Brisbane
Faith
Agnostic
Country
Australia
You asked me my methods and how I know. I answered. You don't like the answer and don't want to go for it yourself- which is your choice. Your choice doesn't change my answer.
Okay then, I guess we'll leave it there.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, because I don't see how I inherited sin nature from a mythology story. If you're asking if I've made mistakes, then yes I have. If you're asking if I've sinned against your particular God, then I'll say I've sinned against all gods at some point.
Would you be willing to disclose some of these sins(publicly)?

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Would you be willing to disclose some of these sins(publicly)?
I’ll confess with you. I’ll start.
When my wife and I were very young we were sexually active when dating,and conceived a child. Due to fear and our very young age we decided to murder(abort) our child. I committed murder