All cultures accepted...except the Southern.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ok. Back up post #(109) .

Stranger
Tennessee Is Celebrating Nathan Bedford Forrest Day, So Here’s the Original Congressional Report About Fort Pillow

The Fort Pillow Massacre, 1864 | Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History

05080-01p1.jpg

I could put plenty here Stranger, but would take up way too much space. How can you deny history? It seems that some are so into that very bloody Civil war, re-enactments and such...WHY?! I don't get it. We are called to love all people as Jesus did. You are exhibiting the opposite. Jesus Name will be preached unto ALL nations (Nationalities) not just the white folk.

Reactions: JohnPaul

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Enoch,

I have gotten that vibe (he likes the white supremacy part) from my previous conversations with @Stranger The other vibe I have gotten from him is that slavery is supported by Scripture. He refused to denounce any type of slavery in my previous conversations with him; even sex slavery. :(

I feel sad for him and have been praying.

Mary

You're such a liar Mary. You don't feel sad, and you don't pray for me. But go ahead, groom your allies while you can. But be sure and point them to our thread, 'Lessons for Historical Mary' where you baled because you were proven inadequate for any further discussion. Now you want to start and try again.

That's fine. You will bale this time also. Try and hang on as long as you can.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Tennessee Is Celebrating Nathan Bedford Forrest Day, So Here’s the Original Congressional Report About Fort Pillow

The Fort Pillow Massacre, 1864 | Gilder Lehrman Institute of American History

05080-01p1.jpg

I could put plenty here Stranger, but would take up way too much space. How can you deny history? It seems that some are so into that very bloody Civil war, re-enactments and such...WHY?! I don't get it. We are called to love all people as Jesus did. You are exhibiting the opposite. Jesus Name will be preached unto ALL nations (Nationalities) not just the white folk.

What's the source here Nancy? Congress? That means a 'yankee congress'. I don't deny history. Quit switching from history to loving Jesus. If you don't want to discuss history then that is fine. But quit trying to make loving Jesus the understanding of history.

Stranger

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So, take my advice Canadian...don't tread where you don't know the ground.
Actually Mary and I said almost the same thing, and we are going by the historical record -- not YOUR ROMANTICIZING of the South (for which another term is "Revisionism"). You need to face facts.

In any event while many Americans know little or nothing about Canadian affairs, many Canadians know quite a bit about what happens south of the border. And it is imperative that they know more about the USA for their own good since America has a huge impact on Canada. (BTW I have gone to graduate school in the States, worked there for several years, and have many relatives over there. Under other circumstances, I may even have been an American citizen today.)

Reactions: Nancy

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually Mary and I said almost the same thing, and we are going by the historical record -- not YOUR ROMANTICIZING of the South (for which another term is "Revisionism"). You need to face facts.

In any event while many Americans know little or nothing about Canadian affairs, many Canadians know quite a bit about what happens south of the border. And it is imperative that they know more about the USA for their own good since America has a huge impact on Canada. (BTW I have gone to graduate school in the States, worked there for several years, and have many relatives over there. Under other circumstances, I may even have been an American citizen today.)

Sure you are. Easy to say.

Oh gee. You went to school here and were almost a citizen with many relatives. So what? Most Americans don't know the history of that war, much less Canadians.

But, go ahead, side with PC Mary. We will see where it gets you.

As soon as you present some facts to face, let me know.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh Mary. You couldn't prove your allegations against Quantrill. You baled out because you didn't know what you were talking about, as I showed you. Your ignorance of history is appalling since you were some sort of self proclaimed 'history teacher'. I knew you would crawl out of the woodwork for this.

Tell me 'historical Mary'...what books have you read about Forrest. FHI baled out when I asked him his source of 'biography'. So, let's you and I get on the same page. Tell me the book you want to use, and I will obtain it.

Scared?

Stranger
Soooo you are denying that he was a great military tactician OR that he wasn't involved in the Fort Pillow Massacre OR associated with the KKK?

You wrote a bunch of words but really said....nothing o_O

Which chapter do you belong to?

Curious Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're such a liar Mary. You don't feel sad, and you don't pray for me. But go ahead, groom your allies while you can. But be sure and point them to our thread, 'Lessons for Historical Mary' where you baled because you were proven inadequate for any further discussion. Now you want to start and try again.

That's fine. You will bale this time also. Try and hang on as long as you can.

Stranger
Hey kiddo....it's bailed NOT baled. ;)

Still praying for you.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What's the source here Nancy? Congress? That means a 'yankee congress'. I don't deny history. Quit switching from history to loving Jesus. If you don't want to discuss history then that is fine. But quit trying to make loving Jesus the understanding of history.

Stranger
“SIR: Since you did me the favor of recommending my appointment last August, I have been on duty aboard this boat.
I now write you with reference to the Fort Pillow massacre. I write, because most of our crew are colored, and I feel personally interested in the retaliation which our Government may deal out to the rebels, when the fact of the merciless butchery is fully established.

Our boat arrived at the fort about 7 1/2 A.M., on Wednesday, the 13th, the day after the rebels captured the fort. After shelling them, whenever we could see them, for two hours, a flag of truce from the rebel Gen. CHALMERS was received by us, and Capt. FERGUSON, of this boat, made an arrangement with Gen. CHALMERS for the paroling of our wounded and the burial of our dead; the arrangement to last until 5 P.M. We then landed at the fort, and I was sent out with a burial party to bury our dead.
I found many of the dead lying close along by the water’s edge, where they had evidently sought safety; they could not offer any resistance from the places where they were, in holes and cavilles along the banks; most of them had two wounds. I saw several colored soldiers of the Sixth United States Artillery, with their eyes punched out with bayonets; many of them were shot twice and bayonetted also. All those along the bank of the river were colored. The number of the colored near the river was about seventy. Going up into the fort, I saw there bodies partially consumed by fire. Whether burned before or after death I cannot say, any way there were several companies of rebels in the fort while these bodies were burning, and they could have pulled them out of the fire had they chosen to do so.
One of the wounded negroes told me that he had’nt done a thing, and when the rebels drove our men out of the fort they (our men) threw away their guns and cried out that they surrendered; but the rebels kept on shooting them down until they had shot all but a few. This is what they all say.
I had some conversation with rebel officers, and they claim that our men would not surrender, and in some few cases they could not control their men, who seemed determined to shoot down every negro soldier, whether he surrendered or not. This is a flimsy excuse, for after our colored troops had been driven from the fort, and they were surrounded by the rebels on all sides, it is apparent that they would do what all say they did, throw down their arms and beg for mercy.
I buried but very few white men; the whole number buried by my party and the party from the gunboat New Era was about one hundred.
The rebels had burned some of the white dead.
I can make affidavit to the above if necessary.
Hoping that the above may be of some service and that a desire to be of service will be considered sufficient excuse for writing to you, I remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
ROBERT S. CRITCHELL, Acting-Master’s Mate, U.S.N.”

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Stranger
A letter from another survivor, a civilian photographer with the Union army, Charles Robinson, also detailed the atrocities that day:

“As soon as the rebels got to the top of the bank there commenced the most horrible slaughter that could possibly be conceived. Our boys when they saw that they were overpowered threw down their arms and held up, some their handkerchiefs & some their hands in token of surrender, but no sooner were they seen than they were shot down, & if one shot failed to kill them the bayonet or revolver did not. I lay behind a high log & could see our poor fellows bleeding and hear them cry ‘surrender’ ‘I surrender,’ but they surrendered in vain for the rebels now ran down the bank and putting their revolvers right to their heads would blow out their brains or lift them up on bayonets and throw them headlong into the river below.”

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Soooo you are denying that he was a great military tactician OR that he wasn't involved in the Fort Pillow Massacre OR associated with the KKK?

You wrote a bunch of words but really said....nothing o_O

Curious Mary

What massacre?

Go back and reread Mary. I never denied Forrest was the first leader of the KKK. Why do you ask? I will tell you. Because you don't pay attention and when it is said it doesn't resonate with you. But, do yourself a favor and go back and reread, or just read.

Stranger

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey kiddo....it's bailed NOT baled. ;)

Still praying for you.

But, you know you baled when you bailed.

Sure you are. I am sure I am the first on your prayer list every night when you hit the hay. Please.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What massacre?

Go back and reread Mary. I never denied Forrest was the first leader of the KKK. Why do you ask? I will tell you. Because you don't pay attention and when it is said it doesn't resonate with you. But, do yourself a favor and go back and reread, or just read.

Stranger
Go back and re-read.....I asked you what you like about him. You never answered.....Don't worry....I'm used to it. ;)

Would you agree that no one should be taken as a sex slave?

Patient Mary

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“SIR: Since you did me the favor of recommending my appointment last August, I have been on duty aboard this boat.
I now write you with reference to the Fort Pillow massacre. I write, because most of our crew are colored, and I feel personally interested in the retaliation which our Government may deal out to the rebels, when the fact of the merciless butchery is fully established.
Our boat arrived at the fort about 7 1/2 A.M., on Wednesday, the 13th, the day after the rebels captured the fort. After shelling them, whenever we could see them, for two hours, a flag of truce from the rebel Gen. CHALMERS was received by us, and Capt. FERGUSON, of this boat, made an arrangement with Gen. CHALMERS for the paroling of our wounded and the burial of our dead; the arrangement to last until 5 P.M. We then landed at the fort, and I was sent out with a burial party to bury our dead.
I found many of the dead lying close along by the water’s edge, where they had evidently sought safety; they could not offer any resistance from the places where they were, in holes and cavilles along the banks; most of them had two wounds. I saw several colored soldiers of the Sixth United States Artillery, with their eyes punched out with bayonets; many of them were shot twice and bayonetted also. All those along the bank of the river were colored. The number of the colored near the river was about seventy. Going up into the fort, I saw there bodies partially consumed by fire. Whether burned before or after death I cannot say, any way there were several companies of rebels in the fort while these bodies were burning, and they could have pulled them out of the fire had they chosen to do so.
One of the wounded negroes told me that he had’nt done a thing, and when the rebels drove our men out of the fort they (our men) threw away their guns and cried out that they surrendered; but the rebels kept on shooting them down until they had shot all but a few. This is what they all say.
I had some conversation with rebel officers, and they claim that our men would not surrender, and in some few cases they could not control their men, who seemed determined to shoot down every negro soldier, whether he surrendered or not. This is a flimsy excuse, for after our colored troops had been driven from the fort, and they were surrounded by the rebels on all sides, it is apparent that they would do what all say they did, throw down their arms and beg for mercy.
I buried but very few white men; the whole number buried by my party and the party from the gunboat New Era was about one hundred.
The rebels had burned some of the white dead.
I can make affidavit to the above if necessary.
Hoping that the above may be of some service and that a desire to be of service will be considered sufficient excuse for writing to you, I remain, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
ROBERT S. CRITCHELL, Acting-Master’s Mate, U.S.N.”

Where did you get this quote Mary? Why do you believe the quote?

Did the Fort ever surrender Mary?

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But, you know you baled when you bailed.

Sure you are. I am sure I am the first on your prayer list every night when you hit the hay. Please.

Stranger
I love the play on words....And I love you that is why I pray for you. :rolleyes:

Mary

Reactions: JohnPaul

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A letter from another survivor, a civilian photographer with the Union army, Charles Robinson, also detailed the atrocities that day:

“As soon as the rebels got to the top of the bank there commenced the most horrible slaughter that could possibly be conceived. Our boys when they saw that they were overpowered threw down their arms and held up, some their handkerchiefs & some their hands in token of surrender, but no sooner were they seen than they were shot down, & if one shot failed to kill them the bayonet or revolver did not. I lay behind a high log & could see our poor fellows bleeding and hear them cry ‘surrender’ ‘I surrender,’ but they surrendered in vain for the rebels now ran down the bank and putting their revolvers right to their heads would blow out their brains or lift them up on bayonets and throw them headlong into the river below.”

Oh gee...from the union army. My oh my how the tables turn. When the yankees kill any southernor it is just 'total war'. But man, when the rebles kill the yankees, it is a massacre.

You are so predictable Mary.

Stranger

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

You can bring a horse to water.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where did you get this quote Mary? Why do you believe the quote?

Did the Fort ever surrender Mary?

Stranger
It is not a quote. It is a sworn testimony. It is signed by the author sooooo why are you asking me where I got it from????? o_O

Does it matter if the fort ever surrendered? You deny sworn statements by men who were there sooooooo what does it matter what any historical writing says?

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I love the play on words....And I love you that is why I pray for you. :rolleyes:

Mary

Sorry Mary, I don't believe you.

I don't believe you can twist history as you do and still pretend to have a love for me.

Stranger

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh gee...from the union army. My oh my how the tables turn. When the yankees kill any southernor it is just 'total war'. But man, when the rebles kill the yankees, it is a massacre.

You are so predictable Mary.

Stranger
Sooooo we should only believe the historical writings of southerner's???? Fascinating......o_O

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is not a quote. It is a sworn testimony. It is signed by the author sooooo why are you asking me where I got it from????? o_O

Does it matter if the fort ever surrendered? You deny sworn statements by men who were there sooooooo what does it matter what any historical writing says?

Where did the sworn testimony come from?

Yes it matters if the Fort surrendered. If it didn't surrender the fight was still on. That is the way it is in war.

Stranger