All Of Israel Was...under The Fig Tree.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
John 1:47-51 Jesus saw Nathanael coming to Him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom is no guile! Nathanael saith unto Him, Whence knowest Thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. Nathanael answered and saith unto Him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel. Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things than these. And He saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man.

Although this thread concerns the fig tree I wanted to point out a few things contained in the above passage. Notice that Nathanael went to Him, not He to Nathanael. Before a man spoke to him of Christ, Jesus already knew him...knew he would come, knew He was of Israel and knew that within him was "no guile."

There we see one of God's elect, predestined to be His elect before he even knew it himself, before he was ever born...he was chosen, as are all of the elect. Not only before he was born but...

Ephesians 1:4 According as He hath chosen us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love:​

The foundation of the world was the katabole, the "overthrow of the world," the overthrow of the first earth age that happened because of Satan's rebellion. Before that overthrow the elect were chosen to be "in Him" in this present world age.

Romans 8:28-30 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He did foreknow, He also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of His Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He did predestinate, them He also called: and whom He called, them He also justified: and whom He justified, them He also glorified.​

Secondly, notice "Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending and descending upon the Son of man." That is a clue, or connection, to Nathanel being an elect and an Israelite...as well as the fig tree riddle. We are first told of the angels ascending and descending when Jacob, son of Isaac, son of Abraham, dreamed....

Genesis 28:12-13 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed;​

Jesus, the Son of man, is the ladder set up on the earth. He is the way. From Jacob's seed came all of Israel, including the King of Israel...the Savior. Nathanael, the Israelite with no guile, was of course also of Jacob's seed. Their beginning was chronicled from the very beginning....All of Israel began as the seed of Adam, who was not the first human on earth but was the first man in the line to Christ.

The question that comes to mind when I read of Jesus greeting Nathanael is when did Christ see Nathanael under a fig tree and...what fig tree is He speaking of? I believe Jesus is guiding us back to the beginning in the garden of Eden when Adam and Eve disobeyed God, for there we see the first mention of a fig and the first prophecy of the Bible....

Genesis 3:7 And the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons.

3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her Seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise His heel.​

They sewed fig leaves, they were under a fig tree. Within them was the seed of Israel. Jesus saw the seed of Nathanael under a fig tree. Seed that was destined to combat Satan and his seed until the end of days.

As shown above the elect were foreknown, predestined, etc. before the foundation/overthrow of the world, the previous age. All of us, all souls/spirits have been an entity from that previous earth age. In this age our same soul is placed in a flesh body. All of us were created in the beginning of creation and He tells us that "all the host of them," of which we are included, were finished at the beginning. How can that be? The seed is the answer. Within the seed our flesh creation was finished.

Genesis 1:1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

Genesis 2:1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.​

All Israelites were from Adam's seed so Jesus saw Nathanael under the fig tree in the garden of Eden.

1 Corinthians 15:38-39 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased Him, and to every seed his own body. All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.​

bud02

Aug 14, 2010
Jesus, the Son of man, is the ladder set up on the earth. He is the way. From Jacob's seed came all of Israel, including the King of Israel...the Savior. Nathanael, the Israelite with no guile, was of course also of Jacob's seed. Their beginning was chronicled from the very beginning....All of Israel began as the seed of Adam, who was not the first human on earth but was the first man in the line to Christ.

I want to first say I like some of the topics you brought up like the fig tree, and the fig leaves in Gen. There is a lesion or a deeper understanding that could be reveled.

While reading 1 Cor 15:35-49 I don't see this thought expressed, " bolded above " Paul is speaking of our corrupt bodies vs our incorruptible. Not one kind of flesh vs another as you imply in Gen that a complete race of men were created and populated the earth before Adam.

35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?” 36 You foolish person! What you sow does not come to life unless it dies. 37 And what you sow is not the body that is to be, but a bare kernel, perhaps of wheat or of some other grain. 38 But God gives it a body as he has chosen, and to each kind of seed its own body. 39 For not all flesh is the same, but there is one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish. 40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another. 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.

42 So is it with the resurrection of the dead. What is sown is perishable; what is raised is imperishable. 43 It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness; it is raised in power. 44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body. 45 Thus it is written, The first man Adam became a living being” the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

Verse 38 but God gives it a body he has chosen.
Now Paul never says there are two types of human flesh as you suggest. But he makes it clear that the flesh he is speaking of is a type as compared to animals.

39 For not all flesh is the same, but there is one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish.
It would seem that one kind for humans is not in agreement with the two kinds you suggest.

40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another.
This distinction is now clear, as to the opening subject. Earthly and heavenly bodies. 35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?”
Answer; 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.

From 42 to 49 Paul now consolidates what he has just said. The first man Adam, was from the earth. I fail to see the mention of other men before Adam. And Adam being the flesh chosen apart from the "other men" as you imply.

45 Thus it is written, The first man Adam became a living being” the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

I just don't see your presentation being supported by this verse.
1 Corinthians 15:38-39 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased Him, and to every seed his own body. All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.

whirlwind

Nov 8, 2007
I want to first say I like some of the topics you brought up like the fig tree, and the fig leaves in Gen. There is a lesion or a deeper understanding that could be reveled.

While reading 1 Cor 15:35-49 I don't see this thought expressed, " bolded above " Paul is speaking of our corrupt bodies vs our incorruptible. Not one kind of flesh vs another as you imply in Gen that a complete race of men were created and populated the earth before Adam.

Verse 38 but God gives it a body he has chosen.
Now Paul never says there are two types of human flesh as you suggest. But he makes it clear that the flesh he is speaking of is a type as compared to animals.

39 For not all flesh is the same, but there is one kind for humans, another for animals, another for birds, and another for fish.
It would seem that one kind for humans is not in agreement with the two kinds you suggest.

40 There are heavenly bodies and earthly bodies, but the glory of the heavenly is of one kind, and the glory of the earthly is of another.
This distinction is now clear, as to the opening subject. Earthly and heavenly bodies. 35 But someone will ask, “How are the dead raised? With what kind of body do they come?”
Answer; 41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for star differs from star in glory.

From 42 to 49 Paul now consolidates what he has just said. The first man Adam, was from the earth. I fail to see the mention of other men before Adam. And Adam being the flesh chosen apart from the "other men" as you imply.

45 Thus it is written, The first man Adam became a living being” the last Adam became a life-giving spirit. 46 But it is not the spiritual that is first but the natural, and then the spiritual. 47 The first man was from the earth, a man of dust; the second man is from heaven. 48 As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. 49 Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven.

I just don't see your presentation being supported by this verse.

"God giveth it a body as it hath pleased Him, and to every seed his own body," is the part that pertains to the OP. He places us, if we are of the elect, in the body of His choice. The seed of Israel is in each of the bodies. As Jesus saw Nathanael under the fig tree...He sees all others that are of Israel. I almost didn't use that verse but I have been really, really, seeing deeply into other "bodies," but that's another thread.

As for Adam......

Creation of mankind, the first humans...all races:
Genesis 1:24-28 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And God said, Let us make man in Our image, after Our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

1:31 And God saw every thing that He had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

On the sixth day man(kind) was created and referred to as "them." Not "him" as it would be if this was the one man Adam. Also, we see that both male and female were created...that wasn't the case with Adam.​

The formation of the first man Adam....and then Eve:

Genesis 2:1-4 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them. And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had made; and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had made. And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it He had rested from all His work which God created and made. These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,

2:5-7 And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the LORD God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground. But there went up a mist from the earth, and watered the whole face of the ground. And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

2:20-23 And Adam gave names to all cattle, and to the fowl of the air, and to every beast of the field; but for Adam there was not found an help meet for him. And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall upon Adam, and he slept: and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh instead thereof; And the rib, which the LORD God had taken from man, made He a woman, and brought her unto the man. And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Adam was formed, not created, long after mankind. And later Eve was taken from his rib. Rib can be translated "curve." Could it be the helix curve, the DNA from Adam to form Eve? After all, she was taken from him and she was "bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh."​
All races didn't come from one man and woman. All things are as they were. An Oriental man and Oriental woman will not give birth to a Caucasian baby. A Caucasian man and woman will not give birth to an Indian child. And....an ape male and female will not nor ever have given birth to a human, even when it is relegated to a long, long ago distant cousin ape.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.​