The Fig Tree - symbol of the New Covenant Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus was talking about the generation that would be alive at the end of the Age when the signs of His return will be seen. That's the context.

I believe Jesus is contrasting "this generation" as a beginning of those who bring forth eternal life unto all the nations of the world as they proclaim the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit. The fig tree, like the good olive tree representing Jews of faith, the chosen from Israel foreknown of God, a remnant according to election of grace (Ro 11:1-). This elect remnant though few in number during the time of Christ, are not the full number of the remnant because Paul writes there were in the days when Elijah prayed to God, seven thousand who had not bowed the knee to Baal. (Ro 11:4) These Old Covenant faithful saints represent the spiritual Kingdom of God on earth before the coming of Christ. And once the Gospel is sent out there will be many more Jews that turn to Christ in faith during this age of Gospel grace.

These Old and New Covenant believers were Jews. Back to contrasting! Who are these faithful Jewish saints of Israel contrasted with? Native born Jews of the seed of Abraham, who were never of the faithful remnant of Old or New. Listen to the words Christ uses in describing them.

Matthew 3:7 (KJV) But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Matthew 3:8-10 (KJV) Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

The Greek word used to define generation here is - 1081 génnēma offspring; by analogy, produce (literally or figuratively):—fruit, generation.

They are the offspring of the devil.

John 8:44 (KJV) Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

The long-winded point I'm attempting to make here, is that there are two people or generations who are of Israel, but the two are opposed to one another. The devil has been around from the beginning of creation, producing offspring by his lies, but even the Pharisees and Sadducees in the days of Christ were of his/this generation. I don't think anyone would limit the offspring of the devil to only those whom Christ was speaking directly to. Neither does He limit "this generation" that are of the blossoming fig tree to any single generation in time.

Christ tells His disciples, who live in every age that they should look for the fig tree to bear life. We see that when these first Messianic Jews faithfully followed the mandate of Christ, to preach the Gospel unto all the world. The fig tree, before being cursed to never bear life again, was a symbol of the nation of Israel. Israel was chosen to be the representation of the Kingdom of God, but only the remnant within its borders remained faithful to God unto death. Those that were faithful are the part of Israel that was never in blindness through unbelief. It is they, the remnant according to election of grace from Israel that are symbolic of the fig tree that begins to bring forth life. And every believer in every generation understands this. We are all (believers) witnesses to their faithfulness and the abundant life their proclaiming of the Gospel has brought to people who believe throughout the whole earth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zao is life

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Was is past tense In other words. "Thanks for visiting. There's the door".

When I said thanks for your thread you could have waved goodbye silently if you wanted me to leave, then I would not have replied to your reply, because there would have been nothing to reply to :)

Well now I'm definitely not going away. I would have, because I had other things to do, but I'm staying now. Thanks for opening the door to all who agree and all who disagree with your own interpretation by opening a thread on your own interpretation of it.

Sorry! No, I certainly did not mean to give that impression! I believe the best way to rightly understand the Word of God is through each other. Iron sharpening iron! And I do appreciate what you bring to the threads even though we are not always in agreement.

• Love
Reactions: Zao is life

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I am in good company with how I show the virtual demise of the Jews, Only a faithful Christian remnant will survive the end times.

Jeremiah chapter 13:1-10 Jeremiah is instructed to buy a loincloth. He is then told to hide it near a river. After a long time, he retrieved it, but it was ruined.

Jeremiah 13:11-27 Thus, I shall ruin the enormous pride of Judah, these people with stubborn hearts, who worship other gods – they will become like that cloth, no good for anything. Hosea 8:14, Jeremiah 8:5-12
......I bound all Israel and all Judah to Me, so that they should become a source of renown and praise to Me, but they did not listen. Isaiah 31:6-7

....I shall make all who live in Jerusalem drunk..... I shall show no compassion nor refrain from destroying them. Obadiah 12-16

Pay heed, be not too proud to listen, for it is the Lord who speaks.
Give glory to God, before the light that you look for turns to darkness.

If in the depths you will not listen, then weep bitterly for the Lords people are carried off into captivity.
[Judah conquered by Babylon and again in AD70] Ezekiel 21:14
Say to the King and the Queen mother; take a humble seat, for your crowns have fallen. Ezekiel 21:25-27

The towns in the Negev are besieged, no one can relieve them. Judah has been swept clean away. This is paralleled by Ezekiel 20:46-47, Isaiah 9:18-19, Jer 10:18

Look up and see! Those people who are coming from the North.
The Lord’s people, all true Christians, migrating to the Land. Isaiah 41:8-10

Where is the flock that you were so proud of?
God’s people scattered among the nations.

What will you say when your leaders are missing? When you wonder why this has happened? It is because of your many sins. Isaiah 3:1-3
Can a Nubian change his skin? No more can you, [Judah] do good, so accustomed are you to doing evil. Isaiah 38-9

I will scatter you like chaff, before the desert wind. Jeremiah 33:14
This is your lot – I have decreed this for you, because you have forgotten Me and trusted in false gods. I will bare your shame for all to see. Isaiah 3:16-26
For your adulteries and shameful deeds – woe to you Jerusalem. How much longer will you be unclean? Nahum 1:12-15

This is a clear prophecy about the judgement of Judah in ancient times and again, soon to happen, proved by the unfulfilled prophesies here and throughout the Bible.
Then, the Lord’s faithful Christian people will enter the Land from the North. Isaiah 49:12 They will live there, in peace and security, to prepare for the Return of Jesus.
Well I don't know, Keraz. Ezekiel specifically mentions the king of Babylon coming from the North in Ezekiel 21, and it's not like that hasn't happened yet.

There are prophecies in the Old Testament that clearly have not happened yet, such as Joel chapter 3, but to me it seems that you tend to take every prophecy that already has been fulfilled and combine it all into the folder you have titled "the end of the Age and the return of Christ", not doing enough research to see which prophecies have been fulfilled, and distinguishing between those and the prophecies that have never been fulfilled as yet.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I believe Jesus is contrasting "this generation" as a beginning of those who bring forth eternal life unto all the nations of the world as they proclaim the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit. The fig tree, like the good olive tree representing Jews of faith, the chosen from Israel foreknown of God, a remnant according to election of grace (Ro 11:1-). This elect remnant though few in number during the time of Christ, are not the full number of the remnant because Paul writes there were in the days when Elijah prayed to God, seven thousand who had not bowed the knee to Baal. (Ro 11:4) These Old Covenant faithful saints represent the spiritual Kingdom of God on earth before the coming of Christ. And once the Gospel is sent out there will be many more Jews that turn to Christ in faith during this age of Gospel grace.

These Old and New Covenant believers were Jews. Back to contrasting! Who are these faithful Jewish saints of Israel contrasted with? Native born Jews of the seed of Abraham, who were never of the faithful remnant of Old or New. Listen to the words Christ uses in describing them.

Matthew 3:7 (KJV) But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees come to his baptism, he said unto them, O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?
Matthew 3:8-10 (KJV) Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance: And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham. And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

The Greek word used to define generation here is - 1081 génnēma offspring; by analogy, produce (literally or figuratively):—fruit, generation.

They are the offspring of the devil.

John 8:44 (KJV) Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

The long-winded point I'm attempting to make here, is that there are two people or generations who are of Israel, but the two are opposed to one another. The devil has been around from the beginning of creation, producing offspring by his lies, but even the Pharisees and Sadducees in the days of Christ were of his/this generation. I don't think anyone would limit the offspring of the devil to only those whom Christ was speaking directly to. Neither does He limit "this generation" that are of the blossoming fig tree to any single generation in time.

Christ tells His disciples, who live in every age that they should look for the fig tree to bear life. We see that when these first Messianic Jews faithfully followed the mandate of Christ, to preach the Gospel unto all the world. The fig tree, before being cursed to never bear life again, was a symbol of the nation of Israel. Israel was chosen to be the representation of the Kingdom of God, but only the remnant within its borders remained faithful to God unto death. Those that were faithful are the part of Israel that was never in blindness through unbelief. It is they, the remnant according to election of grace from Israel that are symbolic of the fig tree that begins to bring forth life. And every believer in every generation understands this. We are all (believers) witnesses to their faithfulness and the abundant life their proclaiming of the Gospel has brought to people who believe throughout the whole earth.
Okay. We disagree then. Because after looking at the context I believe that Jesus was merely using "knowing that summer is near by seeing leaves appear on the fig tree" as an analogy for recognizing the signs He had just been giving for the end of the Age and His return. specially because Luke's record says,

1. There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars, and on the earth nations will be in distress, anxious over the roaring of the sea and the surging waves. (verse 25).
2. People will be fainting from fear and from the expectation of what is coming on the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken (verse 26).
3. Then they will see the Son of Man arriving in a cloud with power and great glory. (verse 27).
4. When these things begin to happen, stand up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near. (verse 28).
5. When you see the fig tree and all the other trees begin to sprout leaves, you see for yourselves and know that summer is now near. So also you, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. (verses 20-31).
6. The same the generation (houtos o genea) will not pass away until all these things take place. (verse 32).

It seems to me He is beginning to close off what He was saying about the signs of the end of the Age and His return. I don't see the fig tree producing leaves as yet another sign being given after Jesus had just given the signs of the end of the Age and spoken about the coming of the Son of man.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Okay. We disagree then. Because after looking at the context I believe that Jesus was merely using "knowing that summer is near by seeing leaves appear on the fig tree" as an analogy for recognizing the signs He had just been giving for the end of the Age and His return. specially because Luke's record says,

1. There will be signs in the sun and moon and stars, and on the earth nations will be in distress, anxious over the roaring of the sea and the surging waves. (verse 25).
2. People will be fainting from fear and from the expectation of what is coming on the world, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken (verse 26).
3. Then they will see the Son of Man arriving in a cloud with power and great glory. (verse 27).
4. When these things begin to happen, stand up and raise your heads, because your redemption is drawing near. (verse 28).
5. When you see the fig tree and all the other trees begin to sprout leaves, you see for yourselves and know that summer is now near. So also you, when you see these things happening, know that the kingdom of God is near. (verses 20-31).
6. The same the generation (houtos o genea) will not pass away until all these things take place. (verse 32).

It seems to me He is beginning to close off what He was saying about the signs of the end of the Age and His return. I don't see the fig tree producing leaves as yet another sign being given after Jesus had just given the signs of the end of the Age and spoken about the coming of the Son of man.

But the prophesy Christ tells us shall come is not limited to the signs that shall usher in the coming of Christ. How is our redemption near, even at the doors? We are, or rather have been redeemed already by the blood of the Lamb. The fig tree producing life is not the sign for when Christ shall come again. It isn't even the sign of the end of days (this age). The fig tree is the sign of eternal life that shall come as the disciples of Christ preach the Gospel unto all the nations of the world. Then the end, when Christ comes again will come. The generation that were first sent unto all the world with the Gospel that brings eternal life, is only the beginning that will produce many more disciples after them who will also take up the mantle to proclaim the Gospel. When it has gone to every nation of the world then the end, with the return of Christ shall come.

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The fig tree producing life is not the sign for when Christ shall come again. It isn't even the sign of the end of days (this age).
You're ignoring the context. That's all Jesus' mention of the fig tree in that place at that time is about.
The fig tree is the sign of eternal life that shall come as the disciples of Christ preach the Gospel unto all the nations of the world. Then the end, when Christ comes again will come. The generation that were first sent unto all the world with the Gospel that brings eternal life, is only the beginning that will produce many more disciples after them who will also take up the mantle to proclaim the Gospel. When it has gone to every nation of the world then the end, with the return of Christ shall come.
What you are describing above is what Jesus spoke about in parables such as these:

Matthew 13:31-33
He gave them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It is the smallest of all the seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest garden plant and becomes a tree, so that the wild birds come and nest in its branches.

He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed with three measures of flour until all the dough had risen."

You have combined the signs of the end of the Age and the return of Christ that Jesus was talking about in the Olivet Discourse with the spread of the gospel and Jesus' parables about the Kingdom of God, and inserted that meaning into the analogy Jesus was using between the leaves of the fig tree telling us that summer is near and the signs of the end of the Age that Jesus had just given telling us that His return is near.​

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There are prophecies in the Old Testament that clearly have not happened yet, such as Joel chapter 3, but to me it seems that you tend to take every prophecy that already has been fulfilled and combine it all into the folder you have titled "the end of the Age and the return of Christ", not doing enough research to see which prophecies have been fulfilled, and distinguishing between those and the prophecies that have never been fulfilled as yet.
This is an unfounded accusation.
I am somewhat of a history buff. I have a considerable collection of history books, from Herodotus to Gibbon.
Remember that Prophecy is a little here and little there, so quite often past evets are mixed with future.

A future event will be the removal of the apostate Jews and their godless neighbours from all of the holy Land. Jeremiah 12:14

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
This is an unfounded accusation.
I am somewhat of a history buff. I have a considerable collection of history books, from Herodotus to Gibbon.
Remember that Prophecy is a little here and little there, so quite often past evets are mixed with future.

A future event will be the removal of the apostate Jews and their godless neighbours from all of the holy Land. Jeremiah 12:14
A future event is going to destroy all unbelivers in all nations who received the mark of the beast. I'd rather pray for the salvation of every last one of them (Jews and Gentiles) than choose your way. God is not interested in the judgment you speak of. He is interested in the salvation of all.

Reactions: L.A.M.B.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You're ignoring the context. That's all Jesus' mention of the fig tree in that place at that time is about.

I don't believe I am! I'm using the entire Discourse, that speaks of all that shall come as His disciples proclaim the Gospel throughout the earth. Where you appear to zone in only on what Christ says we should look for with His coming.

What you are describing above is what Jesus spoke about in parables such as these:

Matthew 13:31-33
He gave them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed that a man took and sowed in his field. It is the smallest of all the seeds, but when it has grown it is the greatest garden plant and becomes a tree, so that the wild birds come and nest in its branches.

He told them another parable: "The kingdom of heaven is like yeast that a woman took and mixed with three measures of flour until all the dough had risen."

You have combined the signs of the end of the Age and the return of Christ that Jesus was talking about in the Olivet Discourse with the spread of the gospel and Jesus' parables about the Kingdom of God, and inserted that meaning into the analogy Jesus was using between the leaves of the fig tree telling us that summer is near and the signs of the end of the Age that Jesus had just given telling us that His return is near.​

Which of the parables of Christ are not speaking of things pertaining to the Kingdom of God that is in heaven? The parable of the fig tree beginning to have life again, after the disciples had seen it wither and die, and heard Christ curse it, saying, "Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever." When the fig tree (Israel) began to show life again through the elect remnant of them turning to Christ for eternal life then the disciples would know that the Kingdom of God has come, and that the Kingdom of God is a spiritual Kingdom that can only be entered by being born again of Christ's Spirit within you.

Mark 4:11 (KJV) And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:

Last edited:

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well I don't know, Keraz. Ezekiel specifically mentions the king of Babylon coming from the North in Ezekiel 21, and it's not like that hasn't happened yet.

All the prophecies of Old are fulfilled and being fulfilled in this age of Gospel grace with the advent of Christ coming to earth a man. A good example of how the prophecies began to be fulfilled is with fulfillment of the prophesy of Joel at Pentecost with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on not only Jews, but all people who believe the Gospel. Because the Prophets prophesied of things that would come to pass in the "last day(s)"! Not all of Joel's prophesy came to pass on the day of Pentecost, but proof his prophesy is coming to pass in the last days, we read of the outpouring upon the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:16-21 (KJV) But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The prophesy of Joel, like the parable of the fig tree is not limited to Jews only, but confirms that the Kingdom of God has come unto all mankind upon the earth, that whosoever would hear the Gospel and by grace through faith turn to Christ in repentance, believing in Him, would be eternally saved. Knowing the Kingdom of God has spiritually come to all mankind, that whosoever, not only the Jews, but all nations, tribes, kindreds and tongues, would be a powerful motivation for the first Jewish disciples to faithfully proclaim the Good News to all the earth!

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
I don't believe I am! I'm using the entire Discourse, that speaks of all that shall come as His disciples proclaim the Gospel throughout the earth. Where you appear to zone in only on what Christ says we should look for with His coming.

Which of the parables of Christ are not speaking of things pertaining to the Kingdom of God that is in heaven? The parable of the fig tree beginning to have life again, after the disciples had seen it wither and die, and heard Christ curse it, saying, "Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever." When the fig tree (Israel) began to show life again through the elect remnant of them turning to Christ for eternal life then the disciples would know that the Kingdom of God has come, and that the Kingdom of God is a spiritual Kingdom that can only be entered by being born again of Christ's Spirit within you.

Mark 4:11 (KJV) And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables:
Matthew 24
14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the whole inhabited earth as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matthew 24
30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man arriving on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet blast, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 "Learn this parable from the fig tree: Whenever its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near.
33 So also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near, right at the door.

When you see what things, according to the context of the passage that preceded Matthew 24:32-33?

Will Christ return during the time that the gospel is still being preached in all the world as a witness to all nations, or does He return once the kingdom has been preached in all the world as a witness to all nations?

Is the context preceding verses 32-33 about the events occurring during the time the gospel is being preached in all the world as a witness to all nations, or about the time of the end that was mentioned in the disciples' question in Matthew 24:3, and again in Matthew 24:14?​

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
All the prophecies of Old are fulfilled and being fulfilled in this age of Gospel grace with the advent of Christ coming to earth a man. A good example of how the prophecies began to be fulfilled is with fulfillment of the prophesy of Joel at Pentecost with the outpouring of the Holy Spirit on not only Jews, but all people who believe the Gospel. Because the Prophets prophesied of things that would come to pass in the "last day(s)"! Not all of Joel's prophesy came to pass on the day of Pentecost, but proof his prophesy is coming to pass in the last days, we read of the outpouring upon the Holy Spirit.

Acts 2:16-21 (KJV) But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel; And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams: And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy: And I will shew wonders in heaven above, and signs in the earth beneath; blood, and fire, and vapour of smoke: The sun shall be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before that great and notable day of the Lord come: And it shall come to pass, that whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

The prophesy of Joel, like the parable of the fig tree is not limited to Jews only, but confirms that the Kingdom of God has come unto all mankind upon the earth, that whosoever would hear the Gospel and by grace through faith turn to Christ in repentance, believing in Him, would be eternally saved. Knowing the Kingdom of God has spiritually come to all mankind, that whosoever, not only the Jews, but all nations, tribes, kindreds and tongues, would be a powerful motivation for the first Jewish disciples to faithfully proclaim the Good News to all the earth!
God has never destroyed multitudes of armies in "the Valley of Jehoshaphat" (which means "YHWH SHALL JUDGE"). Because of its name, the Valley of Jehoshaphat simply refers to God's (Christ's) judgment of His enemies when He returns. It's not a contradiction of what is written in Revelation 19:11-21. Where that will take place is besides the point, IMO. The point is only that it will take place, and has not been fulfilled yet in terms of the wording in Joel 3.

That's the aspect to Joel chapter 3 that I'm talking about. Unlike you (according to what you say above) I do not believe that all the writings of the prophets has been fulfilled yet. Some of it is talking about the time of the end, i.e the time of the return of Christ, but I don't agree with Keraz' hyper literal interpretation of the prophets.

In fact, I don't even know how the prophecies are all fulfilled. Ezekiel 36-39 is fulfilled in Christ, and through Christ. That's all I know. All the prophecies speaking about restoration for Israel are speaking about a restoration which only takes place in Christ, and through Christ.​

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God has never destroyed multitudes of armies in "the Valley of Jehoshaphat" (which means "YHWH SHALL JUDGE"). Because of its name, the Valley of Jehoshaphat simply refers to God's (Christ's) judgment of His enemies when He returns. It's not a contradiction of what is written in Revelation 19:11-21. Where that will take place is besides the point, IMO. The point is only that it will take place, and has not been fulfilled yet in terms of the wording in Joel 3.

That's the aspect to Joel chapter 3 that I'm talking about. Unlike you (according to what you say above) I do not believe that all the writings of the prophets has been fulfilled yet. Some of it is talking about the time of the end, i.e the time of the return of Christ, but I don't agree with Keraz' hyper literal interpretation of the prophets.

In fact, I don't even know how the prophecies are all fulfilled. Ezekiel 36-39 is fulfilled in Christ, and through Christ. That's all I know. All the prophecies speaking about restoration for Israel are speaking about a restoration which only takes place in Christ, and through Christ.​

Read what I've written more carefully! I did not say all the prophecies of Old have been fulfilled, I said, "All the prophecies of Old are fulfilled and being fulfilled in this age of Gospel grace with the advent of Christ coming to earth a man." Then I give Joel prophesy being partially fulfilled at Pentecost.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24
14 And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached throughout the whole inhabited earth as a testimony to all the nations, and then the end will come.

Matthew 24
30 Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and all the tribes of the earth will mourn. They will see the Son of Man arriving on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.
31 And he will send his angels with a loud trumpet blast, and they will gather his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

32 "Learn this parable from the fig tree: Whenever its branch becomes tender and puts out its leaves, you know that summer is near.
33 So also you, when you see all these things, know that he is near, right at the door.

When you see what things, according to the context of the passage that preceded Matthew 24:32-33?

Will Christ return during the time that the gospel is still being preached in all the world as a witness to all nations, or does He return once the kingdom has been preached in all the world as a witness to all nations?

Is the context preceding verses 32-33 about the events occurring during the time the gospel is being preached in all the world as a witness to all nations, or about the time of the end that was mentioned in the disciples' question in Matthew 24:3, and again in Matthew 24:14?​

You did not address the purpose for which Christ spoke the parable. The parables symbolically speak of things that shall be as the Gospel of the Kingdom of God is made manifest as whosoever believes spiritually enters the Kingdom. Why would the parable of the fig tree be any different? Is the coming of Christ the beginning of sorrows or the end?

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You did not address the purpose for which Christ spoke the parable. The parables symbolically speak of things that shall be as the Gospel of the Kingdom of God is made manifest as whosoever believes spiritually enters the Kingdom. Why would the parable of the fig tree be any different? Is the coming of Christ the beginning of sorrows or the end?
Because the parable of the fig tree means that summer is near. You're saying that summer has arrived. You're in effect saying,

Now learn a parable of the fig tree. When its branch is still tender and puts out leaves, you know that summer is near. So you, likewise, when you see all these signs I have just given, shall know that summer has come, and My Kingdom is within you and is being spread through the preaching of this gospel of the Kingdom until the day it has been spread in all the world as a witness to all nations, and then the end shall come.
The fig tree's fruit is not being spoken of. The fig tree putting out leaves being a sign that summer is near is being used by Jesus as an analogy that His Kingdom is near. He had just spoken about His coming, and Luke makes it very clear that when we see these signs He had just been giving we should life up our heads because that's how will know that His Kingdom is near, and it means our redemption draws near.

Jesus makes it even plainer by giving us the analogy of the fig tree putting out leaves.

The Kingdom of Christ is here now in a spiritual sense but is not now of this world. Jesus said His Kingdom is not of this world. One day the kingdom of this world will be the Kingdom of Christ. If you get that wrong, you will get a lot wrong.​

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The fig tree or any tree (all the trees) putting out leaves is a sign that summer is near. Likewise, you will know Jesus is near when you see the signs preceding His return which he had given. He wasn't adding an extra sign. "All these things" = the signs He had given leading up to His return.

It's not a new sign of His coming. He had already given all the signs of His coming, ending them by speaking about His return following the signs. If we insert that meaning into the mention of a fig tree in the parable, we are practicing eisegesis. @rwb
Yet you still... are not clear when those SIGNS Jesus gave in His Olivet discourse begin. They are not about past history, except the destruction ensample of Jerusalem and the temple by the Romans in 70 A.D. with thinking that is His 1st SIGN, when it is not.

The 1st SIGN Jesus gave in His Olivet discourse 'leading up to the end with Christ's future return', is the idea to not be deceived, because many would come saying they are Christ. That SIGN parallels the 1st Seal of Rev.6 about the rider on the white horse coming to conquer, copying Jesus' future coming a white horse. It's about the future coming pseudo-Christ, the final Antichrist-false Messiah, in Jerusalem for the end.

The 2nd SIGN Jesus gave is, that as long as we hear of wars and rumors of wars, the END is not yet. That is the 2nd Seal of Rev.6 about the 'red horse', a war horse.

And thus the rest of the SIGNS follow the rest of the Rev.6 Seals that are for the very end of this world in the LAST generation. The final SIGN is the latter part of the 6th Seal with Christ's coming.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 24
Jesus gave the above in context about those of His that will be delivered up to give a Testimony by The Holy Spirit at the end of this world, during the coming "great tribulation". That's why that above verse is IN BETWEEN His description of those that will be delivered up to councils and the synagogues. Most fall to the tradition of men that it just means The Gospel being preached to all nations throughout Church history.

No, it's about ALL nations hearing the Testimony of these at the very end of this world. The Greek for "published" means like a town crier who gets up on a soap box and announces 'hear ye, hear ye...", giving the latest decrees and news. Because of cell phone technology, all nations will hear that coming Testimony by The Holy Spirit speaking through those at the end. It is the Joel 2 prophecy that Apostle Peter quoted in regard to Pentecost being but an example of the cloven tongue.

Mark 13:9-13
9 But take heed to yourselves: for they shall deliver you up to councils; and in the synagogues ye shall be beaten: and ye shall be brought before rulers and kings for my sake, for a testimony against them.
And the gospel must first be published among all nations.
11 But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, neither do ye premeditate: but whatsoever shall be given you in that hour, that speak ye: for it is not ye that speak, but the Holy Ghost.
12 Now the brother shall betray the brother to death, and the father the son; and children shall rise up against their parents, and shall cause them to be put to death.
13 And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.
KJV

The context of the main SIGNS of the end Jesus gave starts in Mark 13:6 and continues through Mark 13:27.

When Jesus said to learn a parable of the fig tree in Mark 13:28, He was pointing back to the Mark 13:6-27 Scripture section, where He gave the main SIGNS of the end of this world. Those "things" = the SIGNS in Mark 13:6-27.

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The REAL Parable of the Fig Tree:

Mark 13:28
28 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

Jesus gives the simple analogy that when you see leaves sprout on the fig tree, then you know it is spring, and summer is just around the corner.

The Fig Tree Metaphor:
When Lord Jesus just mentioned that fig tree metaphor, it should have reminded you of Bible prophecy about the two baskets of figs, and even the "untimely figs" in Rev.6 on the 6th Seal (1st Part). That is of course is, IF... you had really done your homework in God's Word with heeding The Holy Spirit and not being deceived by men's doctrines.

In Jeremiah 24, God shows Jeremiah by vision two baskets of figs. The basket of good figs God shows represents Judah. And then the other basket, a basket of evil figs, it does not reveal who those are. But God promised He would return both baskets of figs back to the holy land, and not remove them again. A small remnant of the "house of Judah" did return to Jerusalem after their 70 years captivity to Babylon, which was in Jeremiah's day.

But in the 70 A.D. destruction of Jerusalem and the 2nd temple, once again the Jews were removed from the holy land by the Romans. So that left Jeremiah 24 unfulfilled, until... slowly, in stages through the centuries, the Jews of the "house of Judah" began returning to the holy land, and particularly in 1948 when they became a nation again. Their becoming a nation again in 1948 marks the fulfillment of the Jeremiah 24 prophecy, unless... they are removed again. I think Israel becoming a nation again in 1948 marks the Jeremiah 24 fulfillment, and the Jews in today's holy land will not be removed again.

But WHO... are those "basket of naughty figs" that returned along with Judah per the Jeremiah 24 prophecy? Per the Jeremiah 24:3-5 verses, the evil figs went into captivity along with the good figs ("house of Judah") to Babylon, and returned with Judah after the 70 years. These evil figs are the peoples of the nations of Canaan which God told Israel to destroy, but the children of Israel failed in doing so (see Judges 2 & 3, 1 Kings 9; Joshua 9). They were made bondservants to Israel. These would include the scribes of Israel which were of the Kenite peoples of the land of Canaan, per Genesis 15 and 1 Chronicles 2:55, and took part with the false ones among the Pharisees that would have Jesus delivered up to be crucified. Just like these caused the majority of the Jews to reject Jesus of Nazareth as Messiah, these 'naughty figs' will also cause the unbelieving Jews to fall away to the coming false-Messiah in our near future at the end of this world.

Some might say about the above, "You mean the parable of the Fig Tree is about all that?" Yes! And more!

Rev 6:12-13
12 And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;
And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.
KJV

Who is represented by the 'star' that fell to earth? That's the angel of the bottomless pit...

Rev 9:1
9 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw
a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
KJV

Who do you think is the angel in control over the bottomless pit? Not one of God's angels. It's about Satan himself, he is the angel of the bottomless pit, even called a 'king' there in Rev.9:11 and Apollyon (Perdition) and Abaddon (Destroyer). That's Satan.

Thus the Rev.6:13 verse about the stars of heaven falling to earth is about Satan and his angels. Also recall Rev.12:3-4 when Satan as the 'red dragon' drew a third of those stars (angels) to earth back in the old world. Even Daniel 8:10 about the final Antichrist is pointing to his casting stars down to the ground for the end. It's about the coming Rev.12:7-9 event of Satan and his angels being cast down to this earth in our dimension among us because of the war in Heaven. THIS... is what that 6th Seal "untimely figs" is about, Satan and his host being cast out of the Heavenly dimension into OUR earthly dimension, coming to play Jesus Christ in Jerusalem for the time of "great tribulation".

The Untimely Fig:
An untimely fig is about the winter fig in real fig horticulture. It grows in the winter and falls off in the spring. It's an 'early' fig. This 'early' fig idea and becoming ripe in spring represents what timing in Christ's warning about summer harvest? It's actually very simple, this analogy Lord Jesus makes with this idea.

IF... you are gathered early, in the spring, BEFORE the summer harvest, spiritually who would it mean you followed? It means you will have followed the FAKE JESUS that comes first, the "another Jesus" Apostle Paul warned about in 2 Cor.11; Satan as the pseudo-Christ which Jesus warned us about in His Olivet discourse (Matthew 24:23-26). That is what will happen on the 1st Part of the 6th Seal of Rev.6. The 2nd Part of the 6th Seal is about the day of True Jesus Christ's future return on the last day of this world.

Mark 13:29 So ye in like manner,
when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors.
30 Verily I say unto you, that
this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Jesus was pointing to the SIGNS of Mark 13:6-27 = "these things".

He was pointing to the 'generation' that "shall see these things", and they will not die out until "all these things" come to pass. Since those SIGNS are about the SEALS of Rev.6, with the 1st Seal being about the coming of the Antichrist trying to copy Jesus' coming on a white horse, it should be easy to grasp that "all these things" can ONLY happen with the LAST generation, which will actually 'see' Christ's future return. It's that simple.

31 Heaven and earth shall pass away: but My words shall not pass away.
32 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.
KJV

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I am in good company with how I show the virtual demise of the Jews, Only a faithful Christian remnant will survive the end times.
You still don't know what you're talking about, and just leave the Scriptures way too much which causes your false theories.

You should study the Jeremiah 24 Scripture and figure out who the basket of evil figs are, and compare that with what Jesus said in Matthew 13 about the "tares", then Rev.2:9 and Rev.3:9 about the "synagogue of Satan".

Then study Judges 2 & 3, Joshua 9, 1 Kings 9:20-22; 1 Chronicles 2:55 and Genesis 15 about the Kenites; Ezra 2:58-62; Jude 4.

Then in final, read the very last verse of Zechariah 14, which for the time of Christ's future "thousand years" reign over all nations on earth.

Then you 'might', and I use that word loosely, you might begin to grasp that there two main groups among those who call themselves Jews today, true Jews of the basket of good figs, and then false Jews of the basket of 'naughty figs'. Both together were brought back to the holy land, and it was the 'naughty figs' of Jer.24 that caused Jesus to be crucified, and it will be them again deceiving the majority of true Judah at the end of this world also.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because the parable of the fig tree means that summer is near. You're saying that summer has arrived. You're in effect saying,

Now learn a parable of the fig tree. When its branch is still tender and puts out leaves, you know that summer is near. So you, likewise, when you see all these signs I have just given, shall know that summer has come, and My Kingdom is within you and is being spread through the preaching of this gospel of the Kingdom until the day it has been spread in all the world as a witness to all nations, and then the end shall come.
The fig tree's fruit is not being spoken of. The fig tree putting out leaves being a sign that summer is near is being used by Jesus as an analogy that His Kingdom is near. He had just spoken about His coming, and Luke makes it very clear that when we see these signs He had just been giving we should life up our heads because that's how will know that His Kingdom is near, and it means our redemption draws near.

Jesus makes it even plainer by giving us the analogy of the fig tree putting out leaves.

The Kingdom of Christ is here now in a spiritual sense but is not now of this world. Jesus said His Kingdom is not of this world. One day the kingdom of this world will be the Kingdom of Christ. If you get that wrong, you will get a lot wrong.​

Yet every other parable Christ gives is that we might know the spiritual Kingdom of God is here, and that's what we proclaim as we take His Gospel unto all the earth. The parable of the fig tree is the same message as all the parables Christ gives His disciples.

Christ very clearly tells the disciples how we shall recognize His coming again. The disciples ask Christ what sign will precede His coming and the end of the world. Before He tells them about Him coming again, He speaks of all that shall come to pass during this age of Gospel grace. Then warns His disciples of the need for them to endure to the end, IOW His disciples must be faithful unto death to be saved. And the end of the world shall not come before the Gospel of the KINGDOM OF GOD is preached in all the world to be a witness unto ALL NATIONS. Christ reminds the disciples that He has already told them this before.

Then after the tribulation of those days that shall come upon the earth as the Gospel of the Kingdom of God is proclaimed, Christ says His coming again will be accompanied by signs in the sky, and the powers of the heavens being shaken. Then all shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds, and His elect being gathered from throughout heaven and earth.

Matthew 24:13-14 (KJV) But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved. And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

Matthew 24:25 (KJV) Behold, I have told you before.

Matthew 24:29-31 (KJV) Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken: And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

After telling the disciples what to expect when He returns again, Christ returns once again to the more urgent message of the Gospel of the Kingdom of God that these first Christian Jewish disciples must be prepared for. The disciples are not able to see with physical sight the spiritual Kingdom of God Christ came to earth with. But they would know, and the knowing is important so they would not be discouraged and think the Gospel is not having any effect. The way the disciples would know is when they see the fig tree they witnessed withering and dying, and heard Christ curse, saying it would never have life again, then His disciples would understand why Christ told them the Kingdom of God is not of this world, nor is it to be observed through physical sight because that the Kingdom of God is within you.

Luke helps us to understand how the parable of the fig tree does not accompany the sign in the sun, moon, stars of the heavens that shall be seen when Christ comes again. It is the sign that His disciples would know the nearness of the Kingdom of God and the eternal spiritual life it will bring to all who hear the Gospel proclaimed in the power of the Holy Spirit and turn to Christ in repentance, believing in Him that we might have entrance into the spiritual Kingdom of God.

Luke 21:29-31 (KJV) And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand.

The parable defines the Kingdom of God and describes how the disciples would be able to know the effect of the Gospel as they faithfully endure unto death as they take the message of Christ unto every nation of the earth. Just as all of Christ's parables do. Then Christ assures them "this generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled". Christ is speaking to them, because they are "a chosen generation" that will not end with them. Because through them, every generation to follow will hear the message of the Kingdom of God that will continue to produce new life, and the cycle will continue unto the end of days, and Christ returns in power and great glory.

Luke 21:32-36 (KJV) Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled. Heaven and earth shall pass away: but my words shall not pass away. And take heed to yourselves, lest at any time your hearts be overcharged with surfeiting, and drunkenness, and cares of this life, and so that day come upon you unawares. For as a snare shall it come on all them that dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

1 Peter 2:9 (KJV) But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:

Reading the Olivet Discourse as though the words of Christ can only be for a single generation, whether at the beginning of taking the message of Christ unto all the earth, or at the end, lacks understanding of how Christ speaks to His people in every generation of things that will come upon the faithful saints as we tell others of the spiritual Kingdom of God and how entrance into His Kingdom comes when we hear the Gospel and are born again of His Spirit in us. And that if we do not enter the spiritual Kingdom of God during this age of Gospel grace, then we shall be of those whose names are not found written in the Book of Life who are then cast into the lake of fire, that is the second death.

Last edited: