The Fig Tree - symbol of the New Covenant Church

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Fig Tree is a symbol of the New Covenant Church.

Luke 13:6-9 (KJV) He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

Christ came in His spiritual Kingdom seeking His people of faith. Christ went first to the Jews with the message of salvation for whosoever would believe in Him. The vineyard was not in an uncultivated neglected waste land. It had been cultured and cared for by God, and the first to be favoured with the privileges and blessings of the gospel dispensation. This is especially the condition of those who are spiritually members of the Christian Church.

Christ came to earth a man, and for 3 years the New Covenant message of eternal salvation was primarily to the Jews. The nation of Israel was ordained to be the representation of the spiritual Kingdom of God on earth, but after three years the nation had still failed to produce fruit. Beside the elect remnant, saved by grace, during the first century AD, the nation remained in hardness and unbelief, though the gospel of salvation was first preached to them.

Romans 1:16 (KJV) For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.

Romans 11:5 (KJV) Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

Through His elect remnant saved by grace through faith, Christ commissions them to go out unto all the nations of the earth, Gentiles too would now hear the message of Christ (Gospel) proclaimed in the power of the Holy Spirit, and whosoever believes shall be saved. These Gentiles of faith will be grafted into the good olive tree with Israel of faith (remnant), and together, both Jews of faith and Gentiles of faith, shall be called the “Israel of God”.

Romans 11:25-27 (KJV) For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in. And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.

Paul doesn’t say that blindness in part shall be taken away from Israel in unbelief after the fullness of the Gentiles of faith are grafted together with Jews of faith. He says it is through the Gentiles of faith that “all Israel” shall be saved. Israel of God no more consists of ethnic Jews once the Spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven is completed through the Gentiles grafted in with them. Israel then, being both Jew & Gentile of faith together are the Israel of God.

Galatians 6:15-16 (KJV) For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision, but a new creature. And as many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God.

Under the New Covenant in Christ, those who are saved by grace through faith upon hearing the Gospel proclaimed in the power of the Spirit are “the Israel of God” whether they are Jew or Gentile believers.

The tree that is planted by the Lord shall never be plucked up, its leaf shall always be green, and it shall never cease to bear fruit. This tree is a depiction of the man that trusts in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is.

Jeremiah 17:7-8 (KJV) Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.

In His sermon from the Mount of Olives Christ instructs us to learn a parable of the fig tree. After being planted in the earth, in the beginning of its season, its branch is tender as it brings forth green leaves. The fig tree from of Old symbolized Israel before the coming of Christ with a New Covenant through His blood. But that fig tree, as the parable tells us was plucked up, after three years of the message of Christ the Savior/Messiah, produced no noticeable fruit on the fig tree that was. But now the fig tree is the symbol of the New Covenant Church on earth as the Israel of God that is both Jew and Gentile of faith together.

Matthew 24:32-34 (KJV) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Christ tells His disciples that they would see this tender fig tree beginning to produce leafs that should be followed by fruit. And this sign for them is how they would know the nearness of Christ being at the doors. And Christ is indeed close/near to all who believe and call on Him for eternal life as the Gospel is proclaimed in the power of Christ’s Spirit. The blossoming of the New Covenant fig tree is the beginning of building the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven as the Gospel is taken unto all the nations of the earth. The generation that began in the first century AD with those first disciples going out unto all the world with the message about Christ (Gospel) will not pass away, because through these first disciples of Christ, new disciples are made throughout the years of this time given the Church on earth to go out and make disciples.

Last edited:

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Luke 13:6-9 (KJV) He spake also this parable; A certain man had a fig tree planted in his vineyard; and he came and sought fruit thereon, and found none. Then said he unto the dresser of his vineyard, Behold, these three years I come seeking fruit on this fig tree, and find none: cut it down; why cumbereth it the ground? And he answering said unto him, Lord, let it alone this year also, till I shall dig about it, and dung it: And if it bear fruit, well: and if not, then after that thou shalt cut it down.

I have a very different take on this parable. Israel was given a warning in Ex 20:4-6 that they would be punished for the idolatrous worship of the fathers in the first and second ages of their existence and that the iniquities of the fathers would be visited upon their children and the children's children during the third and the fourth ages.

Now Paul wrote that when the fullness with respect to time of the Gentiles has been completed, then after that all of Israel will be saved. The 2,300 years of the gentiles trampling God's sanctuary and his earthly hosts is rapidly coming to the prophecies' conclusion and it will end when the fourth age also draws to its conclusion.

The waring that Jesus was giving to the Israelites that would listen to Him was that if at the end of the visitation of the fathers' iniquities during the fourth age of their existence had not begun to produce fruit, then God would remove the fig tree from His vineyard and would have it burned.

The Gospels record that there will be fruit being produced at the end of the fourth age of the visitation of the fathers' iniquities, and Paul tells us that Israel will be the first fruits of His dominion when he receives that dominion which will occur in our near future.

In the near future God will begin gathering the Israelites to Himself where they have been scattered throughout the whole world and will plant them in fertile soil where they are found and will teach them the religion of Christ and will renew once more the Same covenant that He had made with them at Mt Sinai which they had rebelled against while Moses was up on the mountain with God, to become a Kingdom of Priests, a Holy nation and God's possession among the Nations.

We the Gentile Church will join with Israel to become a Holy Priesthood to bring in the Summer Harvest of lost souls for the Lord.

The Gentile Church will not replace the Israelites in their function for God, but the Gentile Church will complement the Israelites in the task of bringing in the harvest.

The workers in the field should not complain about the lateness of Israel joining in the Harvest of God's Saints.

Shalom

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now Paul wrote that when the fullness with respect to time of the Gentiles has been completed, then after that all of Israel will be saved.

How can Israel that shall be saved be an ethnic people since Israel that shall be saved is saved by the fullness of the Gentiles? Does it not stand to reason that since both Jews of faith and Gentiles of faith are being grafted into the same good olive tree of faith, Israel that shall be saved are Israel of God; a spiritual, not natural people?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How can Israel that shall be saved be an ethnic people since Israel that shall be saved is saved by the fullness of the Gentiles? Does it not stand to reason that since both Jews of faith and Gentiles of faith are being grafted into the same good olive tree of faith, Israel that shall be saved are Israel of God; a spiritual, not natural people?

I think you need to delve deeper into the meaning of the Greek words before you start to expand on what you believe was meant in the original Greek texts.

The traditional translation reads in this manner: -

25 Lest you be wise in your own conceits, I want you to understand this mystery, brethren: a hardening has come upon part of Israel, until the full number of the Gentiles come in, 26 and so all Israel will be saved;

However, I would suggest that what is bold above should be understood in this fashion: -

This is the traditional understanding; however, I would suggest that a better understanding is made with reference to Daniel 8:13-14 and the trampling of the Sanctuary and God’s earthly hosts, by the heathen Gentiles.

A better translation would be: - “until the prophesied full time period of the ‘heathen’ Gentiles is complete, after which those of Israel will be saved;

Sadly, your understanding is held by many Christian today.

People have only read this verse without considering the full council of the Scriptures.

Hope this helps your understanding.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think you need to delve deeper into the meaning of the Greek words before you start to expand on what you believe was meant in the original Greek texts.

25 Lest you be wise in your own conceits, I want you to understand this mystery, brethren: a hardening has come upon part of Israel, until the full number of the Gentiles come in, 26 and so all Israel will be saved;

However, I would suggest that what is bold above should be understood in this fashion: -

This is the traditional understanding; however, I would suggest that a better understanding is made with reference to Daniel 8:13-14 and the trampling of the Sanctuary and God’s earthly hosts, by the heathen Gentiles.

A better translation would be: - “until the prophesied full time period of the ‘heathen’ Gentiles is complete, after which those of Israel will be saved;

People have only read this verse without considering the full council of the Scriptures.

A better translation according to whom exactly?

Paul doesn't say the blindness in part shall be lifted once Israel of God is saved through Gentiles of faith being grafted together with Jews of faith into the good olive tree with them.

All Israel that shall be saved is the Israel of God where there are both Jews & Gentiles of faith in Christ together, called Christians.

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Christ came to earth a man, and for 3 years the New Covenant message of eternal salvation was primarily to the Jews
Not what Jesus said: I have been sent to save the lost House of Israel. Matthew 15:24
He achieved His task through the evangelizing Apostles and we Christians are His faithful people.

The House of Judah is symbolized by the fig Tree. They never have and never will bear the proper fruit. Isaiah 22:14
The Kingdom was taken from them.... Matthew 21:43

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
The Fig Tree is a symbol of the New Covenant Church.
Agreed - but it's also each individual believer. Collectively the N.T Church:​
Jeremiah 17:7-8 (KJV) Blessed is the man that trusteth in the LORD, and whose hope the LORD is. For he shall be as a tree planted by the waters, and that spreadeth out her roots by the river, and shall not see when heat cometh, but her leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.
John 15
4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself unless it remains in the vine, so neither can you unless you abide in Me.
5 I am the Vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, the same brings forth much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.

6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered. And they gather and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.

And seeing a fig tree in the way, He came to it and found nothing on it except leaves only. And He said to it, let no fruit grow on you forever. And immediately the fig tree withered away. -- Matthew 24:19​
In His sermon from the Mount of Olives Christ instructs us to learn a parable of the fig tree. After being planted in the earth, in the beginning of its season, its branch is tender as it brings forth green leaves.
Yes.

And I, brothers, could not speak to you as to spiritual ones, but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. I have fed you with milk and not with solid food, for you were not yet able to bear it; nor are you able even now. For you are yet carnal. For in that there is among you envyings and strife and divisions, are you not carnal, and do you not walk according to men? -- 1 Corinthians 3:1-3

If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered. And they gather and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. -- John 15:6

And seeing a fig tree in the way, He came to it and found nothing on it except leaves only. And He said to it, let no fruit grow on you forever. And immediately the fig tree withered away. -- Matthew 24:19

Christians have a tendency to apply everything to the unbelieving Jewish part of Israel that was broken off, not understanding that the parable - and whatever has ever happened to Israel when it did not produce fruit - applies to us, so I'm glad to see you are applying it to the Church - but you also need to apply it to individual Christians, and each one of us should be applying it to ourselves, individually. The only way the church can collectively produce fruit is if each individual does:​
The fig tree from of Old symbolized Israel before the coming of Christ with a New Covenant through His blood. But that fig tree, as the parable tells us was plucked up, after three years of the message of Christ, the Savior/Messiah produced no noticeable fruit on the fig tree that was.

But now the fig tree is the symbol of the New Covenant Church on earth as the Israel of God that is both Jew and Gentile of faith together.
Agreed.
Matthew 24:32-34 (KJV) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh: So likewise ye, when ye shall see all these things, know that it is near, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Christ tells His disciples that they would see this tender fig tree beginning to produce leafs that should be followed by fruit. And this sign for them is how they would know the nearness of Christ being at the doors.
Without forming a doctrine around what I'm saying in this part, here, I find that interesting, bearing in mind what the Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to give to His servants, tells us about the coming of the two witnesses in Revelation 11:3-12, and the gospel being heralded in all the world to all nations in Revelation 14:6-8.​
And Christ is indeed close/near to all who believe and call on Him for eternal life as the Gospel is proclaimed in the power of Christ’s Spirit.
I would refer to it as believe on Him for eternal life, rather than "call on Him for eternal life", bearing in mind that He alone is immortal (1 Timothy 6:16) and in He alone has (eternal) life in Himself (John 5:26), and our eternal life is in Him. The first lie ever told was "You will not surely die", implying that Adam's eternal life was in himself, rather than in God His Creator.

Also bearing in mind what Jesus said about the branch that does not abide in the Vine (Jesus) and the fact that He cursed the fig tree that did not bear fruit, I would refer to it as believe on Him for eternal life.​
The blossoming of the New Covenant fig tree is the beginning of building the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven
This is where you always lose me, because I have no idea where in scripture you believe you are getting this from. Heaven is where God's throne is, where Jesus is. It has always been a spiritual Kingdom of God, and has never been anything else.

Adam was not created to "go to heaven when he dies and live forever in heaven". There will be a new earth, and New Jerusalem - the bride of Christ - is seen in Revelation 21 coming down from God out of heaven to the new earth.

Besides the above, Adam was created with a body and a soul, and the Spirit of God breathed (eternal) life into Him so that he became a living soul in Christ (in the Word of God) - the eternal life which he lost after believing the words "You will not surely die", and consequently doing what God had commanded him not to do, in the belief that though he had been created in the image and likeness of God, he could become like the Most High (like God).

So we should bear in mind that the new earth that Jesus has revealed to us, is coming, and New Jerusalem will descend from God out of heaven to it. Jesus has likewise revealed the new earth will come AFTER the resurrection of the body from the dead.

So I don't understand where in scripture you get the idea for your theology of a spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven (where there is already a spiritual Kingdom of God, because it's where God is). Scripture teaches us only that we hope for the redemption of our body:

And not only so, but ourselves also, who have the firstfruit of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, awaiting adoption, the redemption of our body. For we are saved by hope. But hope that is seen is not hope; for what anyone sees, why does he also hope for it?

But if we hope for that which we do not see, then we wait for it with patience.
-- Romans 8:23-25.

Adam was not created to "go to heaven when he dies and live forever in heaven". I only see scripture teaching that we will have spiritual bodies with the resurrection of the body, and will come to dwell on the new earth.​

Last edited:
Reactions: covenantee and rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is where you always lose me, because I have no idea where in scripture you believe you are getting this from. Heaven is where God's throne is, where Jesus is. It has always been a spiritual Kingdom of God, and has never been anything else.

Adam was not created to "go to heaven when he dies and live forever in heaven". There will be a new earth, and New Jerusalem - the bride of Christ - is seen in Revelation 21 coming down from God out of heaven to the new earth.

Besides the above, Adam was created with a body and a soul, and the Spirit of God breathed (eternal) life into Him so that he became a living soul in Christ (in the Word of God) - the eternal life which he lost after believing the words "You will not surely die", and consequently doing what God had commanded him not to do, in the belief that though he had been created in the image and likeness of God, he could become like the Most High (like God).

So we should bear in mind that the new earth that Jesus has revealed to us, is coming, and New Jerusalem will descend from God out of heaven to it. Jesus has likewise revealed the new earth will come AFTER the resurrection of the body from the dead.

So I don't understand where in scripture you get the idea for your theology of a spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven (where there is already a spiritual Kingdom of God, because it's where God is). Scripture teaches us only that we hope for the redemption of our body:

And not only so, but ourselves also, who have the firstfruit of the Spirit, even we ourselves groan within ourselves, awaiting adoption, the redemption of our body. For we are saved by hope. But hope that is seen is not hope; for what anyone sees, why does he also hope for it?

But if we hope for that which we do not see, then we wait for it with patience.
-- Romans 8:23-25.

Adam was not created to "go to heaven when he dies and live forever in heaven". I only see scripture teaching that we will have spiritual bodies with the resurrection of the body, and will come to dwell on the new earth.

You're right, we are in agreement regarding who the fig tree symbolizes, but here I will try to clarify my understanding. I should have said the blossoming of the fig tree that Christ told His disciples they would be witnesses of, is the New Covenant fig tree, not the Israel of Old, but Israel of God as the beginning of the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven universally.

You are correct in saying the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven has always existed. But none who are of faith could go to there spiritually alive until Christ came to make atonement for sin and defeat death. Understanding the Kingdom of God is a spiritual and not physical Kingdom. And because God's Kingdom is within believers, we spiritually enter into His Kingdom when we are born again of Christ's Spirit in us. We are spiritually alive from spiritual death when we have His Spirit in us. That's why Paul writes that in Christ we are blessed with every spiritual blessing and seated, positionally not literally, in heaven with Christ through His Spirit. That's why Christ tells us that whosoever lives and believes in Him already has eternal life. Paul's letter to the Ephesians helps us to understand how, since Christ was raised up to heaven, believers too have access to heaven through Him.

Ephesians 1:3 (KJV) Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Ephesians 1:19-20 (KJV) And what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, Which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places,

Ephesians 2:5-7 (KJV)
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;) And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus.

This is how the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven is being built as one by one each member of Christ's body, called Church, spiritually enters into the Kingdom of God through His Spirit in us. We have (positionally) the Kingdom of God within us when we believe through the Spirit of Christ. And since that spiritual life shall never die, when our spirit leaves our body at death it returns to heaven alive through His Spirit in us a living soul without form or natural physical body.

Luke 17:21 (KJV) Neither shall they say, Lo here! or, lo there! for, behold, the kingdom of God is within you.

The body of mankind and every living breathing creature upon the earth is a "living soul" made of flesh and bone (body) and the breath of life (spirit). The body of flesh of every man is destined to death, so without eternal life in our spirit through the Spirit of Christ in us, man would cease to be alive in any form if our spirit does not continue to be a living soul in heaven without a physical body when our body becomes a corpse.

It was eternal life through the breath of God (spirit) that mankind lost in the fall. When man listened to the voice of the serpent (Satan) and disobeyed the voice of God, our spirit became like that of the one whose voice we heeded. That's how mankind became spiritually dead in trespasses and sins and is born to this world with the natural breath of life (spirit), without ability to know the ways of God until we are born again of His Spirit. As long as the spirit breath of life in us, from birth we have not the breath of life from His Spirit, and without His Spirit the only voice fallen mankind will heed is the voice that is natural to him. It is the voice that is the prince and power over this world. The same power that caused A&E to succumb to sin and introduce mankind to death. Since we became natural man, we listen to that which is natural to us, that is things of this world, and the lusts of our own fleshly desires. We have no interest in the Kingdom of God or way to enter there without Christ in us.

Our hope, as you've shown is to have immortal & incorruptible physical bodies through our eternal spirit when Christ comes again with them from heaven. We know that will not happen until an hour that is coming when the last trumpet sounds and all whose bodies are physically dead shall be resurrected for either life forever, as once again complete living souls with Christ fit for the new earth or resurrected for damnation. The believers desire is to be complete again, but that will not happen until the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven is complete. Until then, we are promised and have eternal spirit life that shall not cease to have life through Christ's Spirit in us when our body has breathed its last. We understand why Paul longed to be absent from his body of death so he, spiritually alive could be with Christ in heaven, where he will be until time given this earth for mankind to be born again through Christ's Spirit as they hear the Gospel proclaimed and in faith turn to Christ in repentance believing on/in Him.

Last edited:

Zao is life

Oct 3, 2020
Africa
zaoislife.blogspot.com
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
You're right, we are in agreement regarding who the fig tree symbolizes, but here I will try to clarify my understanding. I should have said I should have said the blossoming of the fig tree that Christ told His disciples they would be witnesses of, is the New Covenant fig tree, not the Israel of Old, but Israel of God as the beginning of the spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven universally.
Thanks, your post makes it clearer what you are talking about, and I can't at first glance see any disagreement between us in what you said in the rest of your post which I shortened before quoting it above.

I think the reason I had no clue what you were talking about when speaking about "the spiritual kingdom of God in heaven" is because you're actually talking about what the New Testament gives a name - Mount Zion|New Jerusalem, but you're using your own words.

But you have come to Mount Zion
and to the city of the living God,
the heavenly Jerusalem,
and to an innumerable company of angels,
to the general assembly and church of the first-born
who are written in Heaven,
and to God the judge of all,
and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
and to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant,
and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.
(Hebrews 12:22-24)
If Mount Zion is what you are talking about, then I understand what you mean by "spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven".​

Reactions: rwb

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For good reason it is commonly believed that when Scripture writes of the fig tree it symbolized Israel of Old. It's true that the fig tree was a symbol of the Old Covenant people called Israel, because of Israel's apostasy and spiritual adultery the prophets write that because the fig tree of Old failed to produce fruit for God, Israel symbolized as the fig tree withered up and spiritually died. The nation became an abomination unto the LORD God, and He said they would never again be a fruitful fig tree planted, cultivated and protected by Him.

Jeremiah 8:13 (KJV) I will surely consume them, saith the LORD: there shall be no grapes on the vine, nor figs on the fig tree, and the leaf shall fade; and the things that I have given them shall pass away from them.

Hosea 9:10 (KJV) I found Israel like grapes in the wilderness; I saw your fathers as the firstripe in the fig tree at her first time: but they went to Baal-peor, and separated themselves unto that shame; and their abominations were according as they loved.

Joel 1:7 (KJV) He hath laid my vine waste, and barked my fig tree: he hath made it clean bare, and cast it away; the branches thereof are made white.

Though God cursed Israel of Old, symbolized as the fig tree, for the sins of the people, God promised there would always be a faithful remnant that would always remain loyal unto Him from among the nation. We find this to be true when Paul writes a remnant shall be saved. And through the faithful remnant from Old, the Gospel of Christ would be sent unto all nations that the Gentiles too would be partakers of eternal life through Christ with the faithful remnant of Old.

Romans 9:27-29 (KJV) Esaias also crieth concerning Israel, Though the number of the children of Israel be as the sand of the sea, a remnant shall be saved: For he will finish the work, and cut it short in righteousness: because a short work will the Lord make upon the earth. And as Esaias said before, Except the Lord of Sabaoth had left us a seed, we had been as Sodoma, and been made like unto Gomorrha.

Christ speaks of the fig tree beginning to show signs of faithfulness as the Gospel is proclaimed unto all the world. The words Christ spoke would have significance for both the disciples to whom Christ spoke, as well as to His disciples coming into the Kingdom of God with them.

Matthew 24:32 (KJV) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Israel as a nation cursed by God has never given any indication of spiritual life growing and prospering in them. Though they once again became a nation state in 1948, that is not the sign of the parable Christ spoke to His disciples. The fig tree putting forth leaves when it is yet a tender new tree indicates the Gospel is beginning to produce fruit for eternal life on the tree again. But the fig tree of Old is not the new fig tree producing fruit of faithfulness unto Christ. That fig tree of Old is altogether withered and died and shall never again bear fruit for Christ.

The fig tree that Christ tells both the first century disciples, as well as disciples living in every age thereafter that is new grows and becomes filled with the fruit of faithfulness to Christ for all people of faith. All who are saved by grace through faith when they hear the Gospel proclaimed in the power of the Holy Spirit are that fig tree that Christ says will prove the Kingdom of God is near to all who call upon Christ for salvation. The first century disciples saw the beginning of the new fig tree growing and spreading throughout the nations of the earth, and all of the disciples since then have seen this growth continue, even through "great tribulation" that Christ warns His people shall come upon them as they take His Gospel message unto all the earth.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks, your post makes it clearer what you are talking about, and I can't at first glance see any disagreement between us in what you said in the rest of your post which I shortened before quoting it above.

I think the reason I had no clue what you were talking about when speaking about "the spiritual kingdom of God in heaven" is because you're actually talking about what the New Testament gives a name - Mount Zion|New Jerusalem, but you're using your own words.

But you have come to Mount Zion
and to the city of the living God,
the heavenly Jerusalem,
and to an innumerable company of angels,
to the general assembly and church of the first-born
who are written in Heaven,
and to God the judge of all,
and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
and to Jesus the Mediator of the new covenant,
and to the blood of sprinkling that speaks better things than that of Abel.
(Hebrews 12:22-24)
If Mount Zion is what you are talking about, then I understand what you mean by "spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven".​

Yes, absolutely the heavenly Zion, the holy city new Jerusalem, the city of the Living God is being spiritually filled as the message of Christ goes unto all the nations of the world. Thanks for sharing, the fig tree as the New Covenant body of Christ is a doctrine I only recently began to fully understand. It's always good to get confirmation, and never good to be out on a deserted island of our own. I do appreciate the feedback.

TribulationSigns

May 1, 2023
Somewhere west of Mississippi River
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is you who need some understanding.

Rom 11:25-26
(25) For I would not, brethren, that ye should be ignorant of this mystery, lest ye should be wise in your own conceits; that blindness in part is happened to Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in.
(26) And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:

This blindness in part, or harness of Israel's heart will continue throughout the New Covenant period until the fullness of the Gentiles is come in. And we read here, "..and so (in this way) all Israel shall be saved as it is written," by the Deliverer out of Zion that shall turn away ungodliness from them.

Like you, some Theologians attempt to "rewrite" verse 26 to make it read, "after all the Gentiles come in, Then all the nation of Israel is going to be Saved." But even on the face of it, that makes absolutely no sense. All Israel will never be saved, if that 'all' means the literal nation as some have alleged. That is totally against everything scripture declares. There is only going to be a remnant of Jacob saved, as has already been stated in the scriptures. It doesn't say most of Israel, it doesn't say the majority of Israel, it says "so all Israel shall be saved."

The second point is that some theologians who realize that it certainly cannot really mean all and be referring literally to the nation Israel, claim that it doesn't really mean literally "all Israel shall be Saved." And these are inevitably those who insist that they take the scriptures very literally. They interpret this to only mean that most of the nation Israel shall be saved. Curiously, they want this literally to refer to the nation Israel, but they don't want it literally mean all Israel. Moreover, this only drives them deeper into confusion and rationalization, because it clearly says when the fullness of the Gentiles have come in, so all Israel shall be saved. If that all means just a remnant, then what is the need for this future salvation program? For Paul has stated earlier in this chapter that a remnant of Jews is even now coming in since Pentecost along with the Gentiles. And if the 'all' here does not mean a remnant, but the whole nation, then it is a deviation from the immutability of God in what He has said, and what has always been. It's an aberration, since the whole nation of Israel has NEVER been saved. The scriptures are not subject to arbitrary or capricious private interpretations. While it is very true that the word "all" is often qualified in scripture to mean "many," there is nothing in the context of this chapter or verse to validate the view that it refers to most of the physical nation of Israel. For Gentiles are not grafted into a physical or literal middle eastern nation of Israel. They are grafted into the Covenant with Israel and remain in their own nations.

The third point is, though many Theologians often take license to declare that it says "and then" all Israel "will" be saved, it doesn't really say that at all! Speaking of Israel it says part of it is blinded until the fullness of Gentiles come in (to Israel), and so all Israel shall be Saved. This is another very important distinction that is often merely glossed over by those who do not want to accept what is written here. In other words, the context of these scriptures show it is saying that this is how all Israel shall be saved. It will be by some Jewish branches being broken off, and some Gentile grafted being ingrafted in. And when the fullness of these Gentiles are come in, "so" all Israel shall be saved. That's it! The all Israel is all of these who finally end up in this Covenant tree, Israel. The Jew first, and then the Gentiles, both in one tree, and both of that very same body. All saints form the Old Testament and the New Testament. Not Jews first, then Gentiles, and then Jews again.

Selah!

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The subject of this Thread is not... Biblical. The Christian Church most definitely is NOT... represented by the 'fig tree' of The Bible.

Unbelieving ISRAEL is represented by the symbolic 'fig tree'.

Jesus WITHERING the fig tree because there was NO FRUIT on it, which was symbolic of fallen Israel...

Matt 21:19-20
19 And when He saw a fig tree in the way, He came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, "Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever." And presently the fig tree withered away.

20 And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, "How soon is the fig tree withered away!"
KJV

Per Jeremiah 24, the good basket of figs represent Judah, but the EVIL basket of figs represent the false crept in unawares that returned with Judah back to Jerusalem.

So brethren in Christ -- DO NOT LISTEN TO TEACHINGS BY THE DECEIVED, BECAUSE THE SYMBOLIC FIG TREE IS DEFINITELY NOT ABOUT CHRIST'S CHURCH. Their idea has 'false Jew' teaching all over it!

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul doesn’t say that blindness in part shall be taken away from Israel in unbelief after the fullness of the Gentiles of faith are grafted together with Jews of faith. He says it is through the Gentiles of faith that “all Israel” shall be saved. Israel of God no more consists of ethnic Jews once the Spiritual Kingdom of God in heaven is completed through the Gentiles grafted in with them. Israel then, being both Jew & Gentile of faith together are the Israel of God.
Not at all. Understanding grammar which god created for us to communicate would show you so.

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at all. Understanding grammar which god created for us to communicate would show you so.

This contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion! Perhaps you can biblically prove how misunderstanding grammar will show how Paul's words should be intrepreted?

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Like you, some Theologians attempt to "rewrite" verse 26 to make it read, "after all the Gentiles come in, Then all the nation of Israel is going to be Saved." But even on the face of it, that makes absolutely no sense. All Israel will never be saved, if that 'all' means the literal nation as some have alleged. That is totally against everything scripture declares. There is only going to be a remnant of Jacob saved, as has already been stated in the scriptures. It doesn't say most of Israel, it doesn't say the majority of Israel, it says "so all Israel shall be saved."

This is what I posted,

QUOTE="Jay Ross, post: 1705801

End Quote

Your rebuttal presented is not against what I posted; it is against what Paul wrote in Romans 11:25b-26.

The Traditional translation is more in line with the replacement theology which is antisemitic.

Israel is still experiencing the visitation of the father's iniquities for their continual idolatrous worship during the first two ages on their Children and the Children's children in the third and the fourth age. The fourth age of the visitation of the father's iniquities has not yet run its full course and will end in around 25 years' time. The gathering of the kings of the earth will also take place at the end of the 4th age when Isaiah 24:21-22 judgements against the kings of the earth and the heavenly host will take place because of their combined trampling of God's sanctuary and His earthly hosts, Israel, over the full 2,300 years. The Daniel 8:14-15 time period of this prophecy began about 70 years after the death of Alexandra the Great and has continued up and until this present time.

In the Gospel of Luke, he records a number of Parables that speak to this present time in Chapters 14 and 19, where the same events are carried over on John and continued in the Book of Revelation.

What I see happening in this thread is the justification by Pre-tribbers for their belief that they will be raptured soon to avoid the Great tribulation by around 1,000 years and that because they have been "good and faithful servants" that they will return to rule over cities and regions with Christ because of their belief of their own righteousness.

Nothing is further from the truth as they are actually doing the work of the opposing master.

In Ezekiel 34 God speaks of His gathering of Israel to Himself where they are living scattered in all of the places where he had them driven, and that He will plant them in Israel's, i.e., Christ's, fertile soil and will teach them on the mountains, i.e., religion based on the foundation that Jesus is the Son of God. At this time, He will sprinkle them with water to cleanse them so that they can become His Kingdom of Priests, a Holy Nation and His possession among the nations and God will again enter into the renewal of this covenant that He had first entered into at Mt Sinai for the nation of Israel to become a Kingdom of Priest, a Holy Nation and His possession among the Nations.

But because of the blinkers that many Christians wear, they are not able to discern this happening before them, because their ears are being tickled with false theological understanding of God's plans being worked out before them.

Many people claim to have understanding, however, our understandings are lost within the reality of our unbelief.

Shalom

Keraz

Jun 20, 2018
Thames, New Zealand
www.logostelos.info
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
There are two separate entities, The House of Israel; the 10 Northern tribes and the House of Judah, the tribes of Judah and Benjamin. Some people have intermixed, but they become part of the House they join, As do Gentiles as well, Ruth is the prime example.

Israel is represented by the vine and Judah by the fig tree. Isaiah 5:7

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mark 13:28-30 (KJV) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near: So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Luke 21:29-32 (KJV) And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

The three, Matthew, Mark and Luke all indicate that knowing that the Kingdom of God is near, even at the doors, would be something so easily discernable that anyone observing trees in nature, especially the fig tree, should be able to understand that the Kingdom of God is near at hand, in fact at the doors. Through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, with the gift of tongues (unlearned languages), we have indisputable proof that the Kingdom of God was near at hand and even at the doors. It became apparent when the gift of tongues was given to Gentile converts to Christ, that the Kingdom of God was not limited to the Jews only, but that in Christ Gentiles too would enter into the Kingdom of God by grace through faith when hearing the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit and turn to Christ in repentance believing.

There is much contention about what generation Christ meant when He said "this generation shall not pass away, till all things are fulfilled or done". When we understand it was knowing the Kingdom of God was at hand, even at the doors that must be fulfilled to all nations throughout the world, the generation that will not pass away is not the Jewish generation who lived in the days of Christ. Nor is it the physical nation of Israel. Not even the last generation alive at His coming again. I believe it is the "chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light." This generation I believe began with the first disciples of Christ to be saved, and as they obediently went out with the Gospel in power of the Spirit, chosen generation will continue to grow and prosper as more and more people are converted to Christ and daily added to their number. They, the "chosen generation" will not pass away until the knowledge that the Kingdom of God has come, and is at hand, even at the doors has been proclaimed unto all the nations of the earth...then shall the end come.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Reactions: Zao is life

rwb

Nov 11, 2022
Branson
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

How can the fullness of the Gentiles coming into the good olive tree of faith be the fullness of 'heathen' Gentiles who trample the "Sancturary and God's earthly hosts, by the heathen Gentiles"?

TribulationSigns

May 1, 2023
Somewhere west of Mississippi River
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Mark 13:28-30 (KJV) Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When her branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near: So ye in like manner, when ye shall see these things come to pass, know that it is nigh, even at the doors. Verily I say unto you, that this generation shall not pass, till all these things be done.

Luke 21:29-32 (KJV) And he spake to them a parable; Behold the fig tree, and all the trees; When they now shoot forth, ye see and know of your own selves that summer is now nigh at hand. So likewise ye, when ye see these things come to pass, know ye that the kingdom of God is nigh at hand. Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

The three, Matthew, Mark and Luke all indicate that knowing that the Kingdom of God is near, even at the doors, would be something so easily discernable that anyone observing trees in nature, especially the fig tree, should be able to understand that the Kingdom of God is near at hand, in fact at the doors. Through the outpouring of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost, with the gift of tongues (unlearned languages), we have indisputable proof that the Kingdom of God was near at hand and even at the doors. It became apparent when the gift of tongues was given to Gentile converts to Christ, that the Kingdom of God was not limited to the Jews only, but that in Christ Gentiles too would enter into the Kingdom of God by grace through faith when hearing the Gospel in the power of the Holy Spirit and turn to Christ in repentance believing.

There is much contention about what generation Christ meant when He said "this generation shall not pass away, till all things are fulfilled or done". When we understand it was knowing the Kingdom of God was at hand, even at the doors that must be fulfilled to all nations throughout the world, the generation that will not pass away is not the Jewish generation who lived in the days of Christ. Nor is it the physical nation of Israel. Not even the last generation alive at His coming again. I believe it is the "chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light." This generation I believe began with the first disciples of Christ to be saved, and as they obediently went out with the Gospel in power of the Spirit, chosen generation will continue to grow and prosper as more and more people are converted to Christ and daily added to their number. They, the "chosen generation" will not pass away until the knowledge that the Kingdom of God has come, and is at hand, even at the doors has been proclaimed unto all the nations of the earth...then shall the end come.

Looking forward to your feedback.

I am not sure who you asked for feedback but I will jump in....

Matthew 1:1
  • "The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son of Abraham."
This is the book of the [genesis], the origin, the family source or kindred of Jesus Christ. Obviously so, as it is a list of His ancestral or family history, again pointing to the fact that all these words are rooted in the "family" relationship. In other words, they are only listed there because they are his family line or ancestry. Understanding this principle, we can see how God unambiguously uses these words translated "generation" in Scripture, to signify not only the physical family of God, but the Spiritual family of God. Not coincidentally, He also uses it to speak of the spiritual family of His adversary, the Devil. There are TWO SPIRITUAL FAMILIES on Earth. The people of two contrasting and distinct seeds. Even as God Himself spoke of them in the Garden of Eden, and the enmity He declared would be between them. The children of God and children of the Devil are two diverse and distinct generations or families from these two seeds. The family of God extends all the way back to the beginning. Likewise, the family of Satan extends to the same period, illustrated vividly in the episode of Abel and Cain. The way that the word of God uses the phrase "the Generation of evil", makes it synonymous with the children (or family) of the Devil. It does not refer only to an immediate present-day family group. The Generation of evil refers to all the seed of the Serpent throughout time, who are of that family by their Patriarchal relationship to the spirit of Satan. Just as RWB explained, the children of God refer to the whole family of God, which are a chosen generation, [genos] or family (1st Peter 2:9) extending throughout time. So it's not just people who happen to be living at the time in which the phrase was written. God uses these family relationships to illustrate those who are of the same spiritual kinship, as illustrated in passages like John chapter 8:

John 8:44
  • "Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it."
Once again we see that Christ is clearly explaining the divine truth that they were the kindred, seed or children of the Devil. They were part of a particular spiritual family group relationship and that is why Christ identifies their "father" as the Devil. Satan is the spiritual Patriarch reference for the whole generation or family of evil. Clearly, Satan has had many children throughout time, not merely these whom Christ was speaking to in this immediate context. All those under Satan's spiritual control are the generation or family of evil which has existed from the beginning. In Biblical terms, they are the spiritual offspring (generation) of their Patriarch reference, which is that old Serpent the Devil and Satan. Just as when Christ speaks of the people as a generation of vipers, He is identifying that seed, these children, that family group, as a people who serve their father Satan. He is not talking about everyone in that physical generation or time period. Nor were all living in that physical (generation) time span, this generation Christ spoke of. Nor could they be, since they all were not children of Satan or of evil.

Matthew 12:32-35
  • "And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.
  • Either make the tree good, and his fruit good; or else make the tree corrupt, and his fruit corrupt: for the tree is known by his fruit.
  • O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.
  • A good man out of the good treasure of the heart bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth evil things."
How can a [gennema] (meaning offspring or family) of vipers, children of the serpent, speak good things when they speak from their heart, which is full of evil. This family (translated generation) that Christ references is the seed of the serpent, children of vipers. That clearly cannot be all the physical generation alive at that time, which consists of the Apostles, John the Baptist, Mary, Elizabeth, or any of the true church of that period. They cannot commit the unforgivable sin of blaspheming the Holy Ghost. Of necessity it has to be only the unregenerate 'family' of the viper Satan. Not the whole generation living at that time, He spoke of the family of Satan who cannot escape the damnation of Hell--that generation. Therefore, when Christ calls them the [gennema] of vipers, he is not referring to all those people of that time (as many often understand generation to to mean), but he is speaking only of the seed of the serpent, Satan. It is a family or generation of evil that cannot escape judgment, and Satan is their spiritual Patriarch father.

(Contiune to next post.)