Altar call

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nothing against the building or gathering in one...only suggest the altar call is of the people for others to come to the altar of God which is the finished work of the Son to be received of the body.
Right. The cross of Christ was indeed the ultimate altar for the ultimate sacrifice -- the finished work of Christ. The apostle Paul tells in Hebrews 13:10 that "We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle [the priests under the Old Covenant]."

Although there are no altars in Christian churches (and this term may be a misnomer) the point is for sinners to come to the Savior after the preaching of the Gospel. And if many are saved through this, that is all that matters to God.

However, before the altar call, the preacher must make it crystal clear that obedience to the Gospel is repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ, and those who genuinely obey the Gospel must be baptized immediately or shortly thereafter (as seen in Scripture). Assuming that the true and full Gospel has been preached.

Reactions: Acolyte

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Alter calls are not biblical.
You can call it what you will. But whenever the Gospel is preached there is an *altar call* -- that God commands all men everywhere to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. And that includes His finished work of redemption on the cross.

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

You can call it what you will. But whenever the Gospel is preached there is an *altar call* -- that God commands all men everywhere to repent and believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. And that includes His finished work of redemption on the cross.
This is not true. We preach the gospel of salvation for all who believe. Then tell believers to be baptized and repent. Jesus says whoever believes has eternal life. If you insert works into the message, you steer them away from trusting in Christ into trusting in the works they think saved them.

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
We preach the gospel of salvation for all who believe.
Another false doctrine from Dave. The Gospel is for ALL SINNERS (which is the whole human race), NOT for the saints (who have believed).

Dave you are digging yourself deeper and deeper into a black hole of false theology. You need to get a hold of yourself and do some book burning.

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Another false doctrine from Dave. The Gospel is for ALL SINNERS (which is the whole human race), NOT for the saints (who have believed).

Dave you are digging yourself deeper and deeper into a black hole of false theology. You need to get a hold of yourself and do some book burning.
If what you say is true about salvation being for all, why aren't all saved?

Reactions: Waiting on him

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If what you say is true about salvation being for all, why aren't all saved?

It is a good question and (imo) where man’s imagination takes over in finding the ‘why’. It becomes then man must have something to do with his own birth from above...because if God alone does it...the why is left unanswered which is far better than supplying our own answer.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is not true. We preach the gospel of salvation for all who believe. Then tell believers to be baptized and repent. Jesus says whoever believes has eternal life. If you insert works into the message, you steer them away from trusting in Christ into trusting in the works they think saved them.

I ask you to consider there is: The Altar call which is the call of the body, for others to come to the Head. As ByGrace said it is Spiritual. A call to Christ and can be anytime anywhere God chooses. The only reason for this thread was to show our part as the body being God’s House (Habitation)made without hands. The body being where the power of Love is to draw to Christ who is the head, and not the walls or altar of any building being power. It is important to me because I steer away from church buildings but that is not the body but the people gathered there. Maybe you prefer Table over Altar? Both are Christ. Again for me seeing this of Christ and His body as One: one bread...really opened up why Paul was so stern about the damnation of those coming to the table fell under when rooting others weak out from the table. Paul even went as far as to rebuke: “do you not eat at home?”

Colossians 3:14-15
[14] And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. [15] And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

We can not take the Spiritual out because you dislike the physical. Maybe you dislike the word altar but in referring to the Table it is powerful. Same as circumcision of the flesh is done away with for circumcision of the heart(inwardly). It is powerful. Same as ‘to raise the dead’ you may say is not for today...but there are those who will be raised from the dead today. It is Spiritual and you can’t argue away that we have an Altar to eat of only because you dislike what altar signifies in false worship of idols.

1 Corinthians 10:17-22
[17] For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread. [18] Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? [19] What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? [20] But I say , that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. [21] Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. [22] Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

We eat of That Table, That Altar which IS the Lord. We call others to the body of Christ to partake of His Death and of His Resurrection into newness of Life.

Last edited:
Reactions: Waiting on him

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My worst and only fear really is that it is all for nothing. That it is all in vain. Thank you again for the encouragement to continue on. :)

Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord ; and there is none else.

"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." John 6:66-68

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. The cross of Christ was indeed the ultimate altar for the ultimate sacrifice -- the finished work of Christ. The apostle Paul tells in Hebrews 13:10 that "We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle [the priests under the Old Covenant]."

Although there are no altars in Christian churches (and this term may be a misnomer) the point is for sinners to come to the Savior after the preaching of the Gospel. And if many are saved through this, that is all that matters to God.

However, before the altar call, the preacher must make it crystal clear that obedience to the Gospel is repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ, and those who genuinely obey the Gospel must be baptized immediately or shortly thereafter (as seen in Scripture). Assuming that the true and full Gospel has been preached.
Interesting, at Ephesus those men had already received the baptism of John. But hadn’t received the Holy Ghost.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I ask you to consider there is: The Altar call which is the call of the body, for others to come to the Head. As ByGrace said it is Spiritual. A call to Christ and can be anytime anywhere God chooses. The only reason for this thread was to show our part as the body being God’s House (Habitation)made without hands. The body being where the power of Love is to draw to Christ who is the head, and not the walls or altar of any building being power. It is important to me because I steer away from church buildings but that is not the body but the people gathered there. Maybe you prefer Table over Altar? Both are Christ. Again for me seeing this of Christ and His body as One: one bread...really opened up why Paul was so stern about the damnation of those coming to the table fell under when rooting others weak out from the table. Paul even went as far as to rebuke: “do you not eat at home?”

[14] And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. [15] And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful.

We can not take the Spiritual out because you dislike the physical. Maybe you dislike the word altar but in referring to the Table it is powerful. Same as circumcision of the flesh is done away with for circumcision of the heart(inwardly). It is powerful. Same as ‘to raise the dead’ you may say is not for today...but there are those who will be raised from the dead today. It is Spiritual and you can’t argue away that we have an Altar to eat of only because you dislike what altar signifies in false worship of idols.

[17] For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread. [18] Behold Israel after the flesh: are not they which eat of the sacrifices partakers of the altar? [19] What say I then? that the idol is any thing, or that which is offered in sacrifice to idols is any thing? [20] But I say , that the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils. [21] Ye cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils: ye cannot be partakers of the Lord's table, and of the table of devils. [22] Do we provoke the Lord to jealousy? are we stronger than he?

We eat of That Table, That Altar which IS the Lord. We call others to the body of Christ to partake of His Death and of His Resurrection into newness of Life.

Very searching, my body is a part of the collective body of Christ, wich is the temple of God. Not made with hands.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are they not? When a preacher asks people to come out of their places of sin, the dwellings of death, is that not biblical?

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." Rev 18:4

What is it we hear when a preacher filled with the Holy Ghost quoting Jesus says...?

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matt 11:28

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are they not? When a preacher asks people to come out of their places of sin, the dwellings of death, is that not biblical?

"And I heard another voice from heaven, saying, Come out of her, my people, that ye be not partakers of her sins, and that ye receive not of her plagues." Rev 18:4

What is it we hear when a preacher filled with the Holy Ghost quoting Jesus says...?

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matt 11:28
Come yoke yourself to the body of Christ. What an invitation?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.
Then said Jesus unto the twelve, Will ye also go away?
Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life." John 6:66-68

Understandable. Where could we go to hide that He does not uncover? very sobering. Luke 12:2 For there is nothing covered, that shall not be revealed; neither hid, that shall not be known.

D

Dave L

It is foreign to the simple gospel. Simply preach the gospel and those who believe are saved. Why complicate things any more than they are.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
.really opened up why Paul was so stern about the damnati.really opened up why Paul was so stern about the damnation of those coming to the table fell under when rooting others weak out from the table. Paul even went as far as to rebuke: “do you not eat at home?”
on of those coming to the table fell under when rooting others weak out from the table. Paul even went as far as to rebuke: “do you not eat at home?”

The
Mercy is the gospel. You eat of it...
The lame take the prey.

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The altar call is an instrument of man. All one needs to do is present the gospel and watch God work.
I think there's so disagreement here on what is meant by "alter call" and "coming to the alter". It can mean either:

1) A person coming to God. Doesn't necessarily mean a literal alter.
2) The specific practice of some preachers saying "come down to the alter if you have been saved tonight!" that became popularized in the early 1900's.

Defintion #2 is a subset practice of the more general #1. For me personally I was writing in this thread using definition #1. Definition #2... isn't my cup of tea, and while I do see good intentions behind it, I've also seen problems with it too. I think most of the people being pro-alter-call are thinking of #1, and those being anti it are think #2.