Altar call

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marking it or scoring this morning for remembrance of His mercy, truth, and love toward us. Today I am wondering why I ever doubt in Him. Tomorrow may be different and once again I will fall out of the boat and begin to sink...but He(God) does reach to a drowning man(or woman). Time and time again.

Psalm 43:2-4
[2] For thou art the God of my strength: why dost thou cast me off? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? [3] O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. [4] Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.

O send out thy light and thy truth...THEN will I go to the altar of God. Who is upon the altar that we eat of? Who IS the altar of God?

Amos 9:1
[1] I saw the Lord standing upon the altar: and he said, Smite the lintel of the door, that the posts may shake:...

“Smite” the lintel and the post ...and man’s house falls. “Smite” man’s altars and they come down. pluck up what is not planted by the Lord, and it will be moved. Even the foundation...Then will I go unto the altar of God.

John 12:32-34
[32] And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. [33] This he said, signifying what death he should die. [34] The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?

We have heard out of the law...Christ The Lord abides forever ...how then can He be lifted up?

“And I, if I be lifted up ...will draw all men to me.”... “Then will I go unto the altar of God,”

John 6:29
[29] Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

This is the work of God: James 2:20-24
[20] But wilt thou know, O vain(flesh) man, that faith without works(of God) is dead? [21] Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (See the example) [22] Seest thou how faith wrought with his works(God’s works), and by (God’s)works was faith made perfect(indeed). [23] And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. [24] Ye see then how that by (God’s)works a man IS justified, and not by faith only.(but faith + belief in God’s works) (faith + God’s finished work) =faith made perfect.

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
[13] Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? [14] Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Marking it or scoring this morning for remembrance of His mercy, truth, and love toward us. Today I am wondering why I ever doubt in Him. Tomorrow may be different and once again I will fall out of the boat and begin to sink...but He(God) does reach to a drowning man(or woman). Time and time again.

Psalm 43:2-4
[2] For thou art the God of my strength: why dost thou cast me off? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy? [3] O send out thy light and thy truth: let them lead me; let them bring me unto thy holy hill, and to thy tabernacles. [4] Then will I go unto the altar of God, unto God my exceeding joy: yea, upon the harp will I praise thee, O God my God.

O send out thy light and thy truth...THEN will I go to the altar of God. Who is upon the altar that we eat of? Who IS the altar of God?

Amos 9:1
[1] I saw the Lord standing upon the altar: and he said, Smite the lintel of the door, that the posts may shake:...

“Smite” the lintel and the post ...and man’s house falls. “Smite” man’s altars and they come down. pluck up what is not planted by the Lord, and it will be moved. Even the foundation...Then will I go unto the altar of God.

John 12:32-34
[32] And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me. [33] This he said, signifying what death he should die. [34] The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?

We have heard out of the law...Christ The Lord abides forever ...how then can He be lifted up?

“And I, if I be lifted up ...will draw all men to me.”... “Then will I go unto the altar of God,”

John 6:29
[29] Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

This is the work of God: James 2:20-24
[20] But wilt thou know, O vain(flesh) man, that faith without works(of God) is dead? [21] Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? (See the example) [22] Seest thou how faith wrought with his works(God’s works), and by (God’s)works was faith made perfect(indeed). [23] And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God. [24] Ye see then how that by (God’s)works a man IS justified, and not by faith only.(but faith + belief in God’s works) (faith + God’s finished work) =faith made perfect.

1 Corinthians 9:13-14
[13] Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar? [14] Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
Praise God! Glad to see you back in the saddle and grabbing the reins and moving forward! :)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Praise God! Glad to see you back in the saddle and grabbing the reins and moving forward! :)

My worst and only fear really is that it is all for nothing. That it is all in vain. Thank you again for the encouragement to continue on. :)

Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord ; and there is none else.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9:13
[13] Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the altar are partakers with the altar?

What we are ‘chosen’ for...Are partakers WITH the altar?1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all men , yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

Pretty bold statement in: 1 Corinthians 9:15 But I have used none of these things: neither have I written these things, that it should be so done unto me: for it were better for me to die, than that any man should make my glorying void(flesh). let our glorying be in the Spirit of God.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not being snarky, but where is the altar in the NT Church? An altar was where an animal sacrifice took place, and we no longer sacrifice animals to atone for our sins. The Christ did that once and for all time.[1 Peter 3:18, Hebrews 10:10]
Amen! the only alters I see in churches today are the alters of prayer.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not being snarky, but where is the altar in the NT Church? An altar was where an animal sacrifice took place, and we no longer sacrifice animals to atone for our sins. The Christ did that once and for all time.[1 Peter 3:18, Hebrews 10:10]

Yes. He is the altar raised up above all calling unto all men, drawing them to Him. We are of body and ‘partakers’ with the altar. It has become very clear that an altar call to the front of a building is maybe man’s altar call to a building (structure). God’s altar call is a call to the Son of God. Which could be anywhere. Shouldn’t the body’s call to others be the same calling to others to come to the altar of God who is Christ?...not some man-made structure with gold and scarlet embellishments? Do you see it? 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? [20] For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which (belong) are God's.

The altar call is to call others to come to Christ. His temple. His body. His altar which is of God and not made with hands. Which is built up(Spiritually) by God in the body of His people. Christ.

SovereignGrace

Certified Flunky
Feb 15, 2019
Crum, WVa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes. He is the altar raised up above all calling unto all men, drawing them to Him. We are of body and ‘partakers’ with the altar. It has become very clear that an altar call to the front of a building is maybe man’s altar call to a building (structure). God’s altar call is a call to the Son of God. Which could be anywhere. Shouldn’t the body’s call to others be the same calling to others to come to the altar of God who is Christ?...not some man-made structure with gold and scarlet embellishments? Do you see it? 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own? [20] For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which (belong) are God's.

The altar call is to call others to come to Christ. His temple. His body. His altar which is of God and not made with hands. Which is built up(Spiritually) by God in the body of His people. Christ.

The altar call is an instrument of man. All one needs to do is present the gospel and watch God work.

Reactions: Mjh29 and Dave L

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
^I guess you mean "present the gospel" verbally there...
Isaiah 45:18 For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God himself that formed the earth and made it; he hath established it, he created it not in vain, he formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord ; and there is none else.
Fwiw this v is the central arg for And the earth became void in Genesis I guess

Last edited:
D

Dave L

Charles Finney and Billy Graham preached "decisional regeneration". It is a type of baptismal regeneration, only replacing baptism with the altar call. It is essentially salvation by works that leaves a person, whether saved or not, trusting in their fleshly response to Christ rather than trusting in Christ directly for their salvation.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I guess you mean "present the gospel" verbally there...

Fwiw this v is the central arg for And the earth became void in Genesis I guess

Romans 8:20
[20] For the creature was made subject to vanity(became void), not willingly, but by reason of him who hath subjected the same in hope,

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The altar call is an instrument of man. All one needs to do is present the gospel and watch God work.

Maybe I should have put this under debates. I do understand what you are saying and agree. But God created in definition and purpose ‘the altar’ I’m only suggesting there is a spiritual altar of mercy that we do eat of...not built of man but as the temple so is the altar laid and formed by God, and it has noting to do with any altar built of man in a church building. All I wanted was to bring attention and praise to the altar we do eat and drink of. (IMO) here is the altar call that is NOT of man: John 7:37 In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

“Where sacrifice took place” :1 Corinthians 10:16-17 The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not the communion of the blood of Christ? The bread which we break, is it not the communion of the body of Christ? [17] For we being many are one bread, and one body: for we are all partakers of that one bread.

“Where sacrifice took place”: ...is this not also to be the body: a place where sacrifice takes place? Charity? Consider all the grave warnings Paul gave in their feeding of themselves soiritually (some drunk) while other went away hungry. 1 Corinthians 9:19 For though I be free from all men , yet have I made myself servant unto all, that I might gain the more.

Hebrews 13:10-11
[10] We have an altar(table), whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. [11] For the bodies of those beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest for sin, are burned without the camp.

Reactions: Acolyte and Helen

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Charles Finney and Billy Graham preached "decisional regeneration". It is a type of baptismal regeneration, only replacing baptism with the altar call. It is essentially salvation by works that leaves a person, whether saved or not, trusting in their fleshly response to Christ rather than trusting in Christ directly for their salvation.
Interesting comparison; I'm sure there is truth to it.

I do think that reducing the new birth - intentionally or not - to a formula like coming out to the front or repeating a counsellor's phraseology is to take away from the essential work of the Holy Spirit.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Dave L
When Ambassador Joe Kennedy Senior used his influence to get Billy Graham an audience with the pope, he was evidently more perceptive than many evangelicals to see that the B. G. Association in its system and methodology could be reconciled with the system that the pope stood for...

Whereas the B. G. Association methods represented in fact a departure from the Biblical way of preaching the Word and leaving the Holy Spirit to work in the hearers' hearts in His own time.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Not being snarky, but where is the altar in the NT Church?
An altar was where an animal sacrifice took place, and we no longer sacrifice animals to atone for our sins. The Christ did that once and for all time.[1 Peter 3:18, Hebrews 10:10]

Yes, ...Jesus Christ is our 'Ark of The Covenant' the meeting place between us and God...He IS the altar...just as He is The Way, The Truth and The LIFE!!
He was the Last Lamb, and the Last and only Altar for us to 'come to.'
When we kneel before the Lord...we are at The Altar.

.......H

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Nothing against the building or gathering in one...only suggest the altar call is of the people for others to come to the altar of God which is the finished work of the Son to be received of the body.

..yes, in a nut shell...
....Thumb.gif

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada

There seems to be two lines of thought in this thread.. as I read the posts... ( and she can correct me if I am wrong! ha!)
@VictoryinJesus is speaking "in the Spirit" of the spiritual Altar...the True Altar.... Whereas you and others are talking about what is "called" by man " The altar call". By reading the Opening Post... I can't see that in there, she writes spiritually not literally ...so , as usual in threads...some take the thread sideways!! Are we now discussing what is "called" the altar call, or are we discussing The Altar calling ?

Just my two cents...