Altar call

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I think there's so disagreement here on what is meant by "alter call" and "coming to the alter". It can mean either:

1) A person coming to God. Doesn't necessarily mean a literal alter.
2) The specific practice of some preachers saying "come down to the alter if you have been saved tonight!" that became popularized in the early 1900's.

Defintion #2 is a subset practice of the more general #1. For me personally I was writing in this thread using definition #1. Definition #2... isn't my cup of tea, and while I do see good intentions behind it, I've also seen problems with it too. I think most of the people being pro-alter-call are thinking of #1, and those being anti it are think #2.

I tried to say that many posts back...but you define it better! :)

And I am with you on #1.

Reactions: Jane_Doe22

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where is it in scripture?

I thought you said that you read lots of the bible and study lots etc etc..
How come you have to ask her @VictoryinJesus for the scripture?:confused:

Oh right, now I remember...and altar in the bible 'to you' is just that, an altar..and a table 'to you' in scripture is a table. Right. You see no further than the written word.

I guess the "table" that God prepared in the wilderness for David in the presence of his enemies in Psalm 23 , and the cup of anointing were just that...a literal table and literal anointing oil.

Okay Dave.

D

Dave L

I thought you said that you read lots of the bible and study lots etc etc..
How come you have to ask her @VictoryinJesus for the scripture?:confused:

Oh right, now I remember...and altar in the bible 'to you' is just that, an altar..and a table 'to you' in scripture is a table. Right. You see no further than the written word.

I guess the "table" that God prepared in the wilderness for David in the presence of his enemies in Psalm 23 , and the cup of anointing were just that...a literal table and literal anointing oil.

Okay Dave.
Where is this teaching in the NT?

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where is this teaching in the NT?

Luke 22:19-21
[19] And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it , and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. [20] Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. [21] But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table.

Is it Spiritual or literal?

D

Dave L

Luke 22:19-21
[19] And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it , and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. [20] Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you. [21] But, behold, the hand of him that betrayeth me is with me on the table.

Is it Spiritual or literal?
Is it the gospel?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ok. You are right.

Good girl...that is what I say too when my husband is set on proving he is right. I think some of them just 'need' to know that we think they are right...so after a while I just agree with him. :D

I understood what you were saying...some people can 'see' kingdom truth, some just can't.

Bless you H

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good girl...that is what I say too when my husband is set on proving he is right. I think some of them just 'need' to know that we think they are right...so after a while I just agree with him. :D

I understood what you were saying...some people can 'see' kingdom truth, some just can't.

Bless you H

Yes...we definitely don’t want to bite and devour one another. Dave L has good points to contribute and give us to consider.

Reactions: Helen

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
@VictoryinJesus

New Testament

Hebrews 13:10
"We have an altar from which those who minister at the tabernacle have no right to eat."

He IS The living Bread, He IS the living Water /Wine....

He is the Door...He is the Word, He is The Light...Shepherd
1 Cor 10 :4
He IS the Rock which followed them in the wilderness :-

And did all drink the same spiritual drink: for they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them: and that Rock was Christ.”

But, to some, a table is just a table... :(

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Dave L has good points to contribute and give us to consider.

Yes, and I am sure he enjoys those who 'try' to give him a run for his money, as the saying goes. I think it is enjoying himself. :)

"Iron sharpeneth iron...."

D

Dave L

Once more...

“Come to Christ”
“And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.” (John 6:65–66) (KJV 1900)

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.” (John 6:65–66) (KJV 1900)

God gives the increase. Yes. Spiritual increase of children from spiritual seed(Christ) sown. As in asking for bread (Christ) to set before a friend. It is God who multiples the bread(Christ) James 3:17-18 But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy. [18] And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

John 7:16-18
[16] Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me. [17] If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself. [18] He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

Hebrews 13:10
[10] We have an altar, whereof they have no right to eat which serve the tabernacle.

Do you have an altar to eat of?
Yes or no.

Reactions: Helen and bbyrd009