And Science Says Our Gap Theory Is Bad.....

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
The Barrd said:
The fact that Stan was once your friend, but now feels the need to ignore you says waaaaaaaaaay more about you, IMO.

And it shows me that I should have listened to him, and saved myself all this grief.

Stan and I may disagree about some things, but he's no fool. He's a good man and a good Christian...he's just a stubborn old goat. If he put you on his ignore list, he had a good reason. I should have listened to him.
Stan reminds me of a little toddler who runs around yelling "I'm ignoring you! I'm ignoring you! I'm ignoring you! I'm ignoring you!"

River, I am a Christian. As far as I am concerned, God created the universe, and God created life. No, I do not claim to know how He did it, but I do know that He divided living things by "kind"....and I am quite sure that "kind" is a line that cannot be crossed.
And I agree, except to point out that not only do we not know what kinds are, there's not anything in scripture that says "kind is a line that can't be crossed" either.

So, while I am willing to believe in a finch with a short beak, it is still a finch. You may call it a new "species" if you like, but it is still within God's taxonomy of "kind"
I don't see how anyone can say that, since no one has any idea what kinds are.

It is not a canary.
If it were, that certainly wouldn't be evolution. A finch turning into a canary would be more like some sort of magic trick.

And I am willing to believe in a hybrid weed. You want to call it a new "species"....fine.
That's great. Glad we can agree.

But it is still a weed. It is not a strawberry.
And we agree again. Not sure why you'd think anyone would expect otherwise, but at least we're on the same page.

I am willing that Muslims should worship Allah, and that Wiccans should worship their goddess, and that young "pagans" should worship the Greek pantheon or whatever...I may think they're silly, but if that's what they believe, so be it. Actually, I kind of like the Wiccan's slogan, "And ye harm none, do as ye will." Mind, I do not agree with it....but at least it's a start. It's a ways from "Love one another as I have loved you"...but it's a step in the right direction.

I am willing to believe that these scientists have found what they believe to be "new species"....if that's what they want to call them.
Wait....are you actually saying there's no difference between science and religion? You are analogizing the two, aren't you?

But I don't even have to glance at any of these papers to know, for a fact, that not one of these critters has become a new "kind".
I don't know how you can say that, since you don't know what a kind is.

Once more, I bare no hard feelings toward you, River.
I don't understand why you would. Even given some of the things you've said to me, I don't let it generate "hard feelings" towards you.

I just think you are far too wrapped up in your science to really see the world as God intends for us to see it.
See, this is what I don't get. You just got done lecturing me about "playing nice" and saying you hold no hard feelings to me, yet in your very next post you go and say something like this. Why do you insist on making the discussion personal by saying such a personally judgmental thing?

I really do intend to pray for you.
Because in your view, I need fixin', right? Do you do this with everyone who disagrees with you?

...somewhere in there must lurk the River I first met.
Um....still here. It's just that we've since discovered a few areas in which we don't agree. I see that and figure that's what happens in life, but you apparently see it as an indication that there's something wrong with me that's so bad, you need to ask God to intervene.

As I recall, you liked me because I am a devout Christian. As a devout Christian, I oppose gay marriage, I oppose abortion, and I oppose taking God out of our schools and courthouses. I'm sorry if that offends you, I really am.
However, you may as well know....God comes first for me, and for every single other devout Christian you will ever meet.
I wasn't aware that whether or not one is a "devout" Christian was a function of one's political views. I usually tell people that it's more related to the quality of one's walk with Christ....like whether it's more like a once-a-week drive by, or an actual daily journey. But then, I guess we've just found another area where we disagree.

And I guess that's the message I'd like to leave you with, since you seem intent on joining Stan. This is an internet forum, so it should come as no surprise that you'll encounter people with different opinions, and people who will actually directly disagree with you. If that sort of thing bothers you....well, I guess I'd say pray on it a bit and see what God has to say about whether He expects all of us to agree on every issue or not.

I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas. :)

Reactions: Born_Again

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you denying that text books and previous evolutionary theories suggested that the small pelvic bones of a whale were vestigial leg bones? If I point to some textbooks that had this information will you concede that I am right and you are wrong on this entire subject?

Out of time.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
I suspect what's going on is you're misunderstanding the term "vestigial". From what I've seen, creationists think "vestigial" means "useless", and once a function is found for these bones in whales, they can no longer be referred to as "vestigial legs".

Is that about right?

EDIT: I'm also aware that there are a number of non-creationists who make this same mistake.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wormwood said:
Are you denying that text books and previous evolutionary theories suggested that the small pelvic bones of a whale were vestigial leg bones? If I point to some textbooks that had this information will you concede that I am right and you are wrong on this entire subject?

Out of time.
The FACT is that this SO-CALLED science has continually, over the last 100 years, reversed or contradicted itself time and time again as it 'learns' (sic) something else. It's all theory on top of theory on top of theory, whereas GOD never changes, nor does His written Word.
He's always had it right from day 1, and only those who fall into the snare of so-called scientific fact, are unable to see the truth in God's Word. If one doesn't have the Holy Spirit to help make His word real to us, it will NEVER be accepted intellectually. The enemy knows this and has many angles when distracting us from the TRUTH.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
River,

I have always understood the term to mean that the vestige has little to no use due to the development of the organism in its evolutionary process. This is how the term was used in many biology textbooks as well. I do remember my biology classes in middle, high school and college...believe it or not. If we are going to say that the pelvic bones of a whale are vestigial leg bones that have now been adapted to be absolutely vital for reproduction, well, I'd say that is a fine theory, but lets not pretend its not sheer imagination at work (and its not how the term has been traditionally used in any textbook I have read). Again, I think the problem with your definition of "fact" and "true science" is that it allows any question and hypothesis to be considered, except those that go against the common ancestor for all living things. Sure, creationists start with a hypothesis and hold to it because of their presuppositions. I appreciate the fact that they at least own up to it. I understand if you think the hypothesis of the Darwinian evolutionist to be more compatible with what we see in science today. I can accept and appreciate your position on that (even though I may disagree on my, admittedly, inferior knowledge on the topic). However, your repeated position that Darwinian evolution is the only scientific approach and that any deviation from this "fact" tells me that you are not allowing others the same freedom that you demand. This comes across to me no different from the entrenched creationist who will not allow any thinking outside of a literal 7 day creation within the past 6,000 years. Again, its fine if you think this theory best supports scientific findings. Just do not confuse the theory with science. That is propaganda and is contrary to the freedom necessary for honest inquiry.

Reactions: StanJ

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
Wormwood said:
I have always understood the term to mean that the vestige has little to no use due to the development of the organism in its evolutionary process.
Way back before Darwin's time, the concept was pretty well established. The structure in question would be thought of as a "vestige" of its original form. But the term "vestigial structure" didn't become common until relatively recently. Darwin listed several in Descent of Man, and in Origin of Species he noted how they might be useless for their original function, but develop or retain secondary functions: Specifically, he stated "An organ serving for two purposes, may become rudimentary or utterly aborted for one, even the more important purpose, and remain perfectly efficient for the other".

So you see, the idea of a structure reducing or even losing its original function, but taking on a secondary function isn't anything new.

This is how the term was used in many biology textbooks as well. I do remember my biology classes in middle, high school and college...believe it or not.
Oh sure, I believe it. I see it all the time, even among scientists. It's a common error.

If we are going to say that the pelvic bones of a whale are vestigial leg bones that have now been adapted to be absolutely vital for reproduction, well, I'd say that is a fine theory, but lets not pretend its not sheer imagination at work
Again, it's disappointing to see what you imagine the science of evolutionary biology to be...like it's just a bunch of people sitting around making up stories out of thin air. Why do you do this? Do you really have that dim of a view of evolutionary biology? If so, I have to wonder what that's based on, since it's obvious that you haven't bothered to actually look at the science behind this issue.

If you had, you'd discover that scientists studying this have very, very good justification for their conclusions. (And btw, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone suggest that the legs became a pelvis, as you seem to be saying) By looking at existing Cetaceans, fossils, embryonic development, and a lot of genetics, not only have they supported their conclusions from multiple lines of evidence, they've constructed a pretty detailed picture of how, genetically, the evolution took place. You can see this in the following papers...

Developmental basis for hind-limb loss in dolphins and origin of the cetacean bodyplan

Naming an Innominate: Pelvis and Hindlimbs of Miocene Whales Give an Insight into Evolution and Homology of Cetacean Pelvic Girdle

That's a little different than the picture you painted, isn't it?

Again, I think the problem with your definition of "fact" and "true science" is that it allows any question and hypothesis to be considered, except those that go against the common ancestor for all living things.
Who's not allowing hypotheses to be considered and studied? I've never really understood this creationist accusation, as if evolutionary biologists were a bunch of mafia guys who go around intimidating and smashing up the labs of anyone who dares study anything they don't like. I mean seriously, exactly how do you think I or any other scientist can stop a creationist organization from studying whatever they want? They have lots of money and other resources for fake museums, movies, speaking tours, and legal efforts. Surely they have enough to actually contribute something to science, right?

Sure, creationists start with a hypothesis and hold to it because of their presuppositions. I appreciate the fact that they at least own up to it.
They directly state that they start with their conclusions (young-earth creationism) and any and all data or results that conflict are automatically wrong. And whenever problems are encountered, "God made it that way" is invoked. Not only is that not science, it's basically anti-science.

I understand if you think the hypothesis of the Darwinian evolutionist to be more compatible with what we see in science today. I can accept and appreciate your position on that (even though I may disagree on my, admittedly, inferior knowledge on the topic).
In a general sense, ok (except that evolutionary theory has moved on since Darwin and is a theory, not a hypothesis).

However, your repeated position that Darwinian evolution is the only scientific approach and that any deviation from this "fact" tells me that you are not allowing others the same freedom that you demand.
To be honest, I'm not even sure what that means. What do you mean by "is the only scientific approach", and how am I denying anyone else their freedom?

This comes across to me no different from the entrenched creationist who will not allow any thinking outside of a literal 7 day creation within the past 6,000 years.
It's not even close. The creationists declare that no data can ever contradict their beliefs, no matter what, period. Not only have I not ever said anything even remotely like that, I've directly spoken out against such thinking.

Again, its fine if you think this theory best supports scientific findings.
You have it backwards. As you can see by the papers above, the findings (the data) support the theory, and do so extremely well.

Just do not confuse the theory with science. That is propaganda and is contrary to the freedom necessary for honest inquiry.
Let's be honest here. You wrote that extremely disparaging remark about the scientists who do the work described in the papers above, even though I would bet my last dollar that you were completely unaware of their work, correct? You felt you were fully qualified to tell me what the science is, despite the fact that you had no idea at all what the science actually was. That's so antithetical to anything I would ever do, I'm totally baffled.

And this is where I need your help. I see creationists do this sort of thing all the time, and I can't figure out what it is about you that lets you do this. Before you say "don't confuse the theory with science" and accuse scientists of "propaganda", is there a voice in your head that says "Hey wait....I haven't even really looked, so I don't know what research and analyses have been done on this, so maybe I shouldn't say that until I'm sure I know what I'm talking about"? If so, what do you tell that voice? If not, then help me understand what makes you make such judgmental proclamations about an area of science that you've not even looked into.

I'm totally serious here. If you can help me understand, I would appreciate it greatly.

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Specifically, he stated "An organ serving for two purposes, may become rudimentary or utterly aborted for one, even the more important purpose, and remain perfectly efficient for the other".

So you see, the idea of a structure reducing or even losing its original function, but taking on a secondary function isn't anything new.
Yes, but a key phrase here is "an organ serving two purposes." So, again, the idea that the pelvic bones of a whale which are used for reproduction were once used for walking (or maybe walking and reproduction simultaneously!?) is not based in any science. There is no science to show that these bones once served another purpose. The structure has a completely functional and meaningful use and the fact that textbooks taught these bones were once legs is not science in any way, shape or form. There is nothing to suggest this to be true, other than the demand to meet the need of the overarching hypothesis that must be maintained at all costs.

Moreover, it was once assumed that "junk DNA" was also the result of evolutionary processes and that those elements of the DNA were no longer very useful because of the evolution of the cells to change functions. We now know that is not the case. Thus, it has been prevalent in those who promote Darwinian evolution to look for vestiges or even genetic material that are in the process of being adapted to another purpose or losing their function due to other traits becoming more prominent. Many of these assumptions have been proven wrong. Again, I understand that this is part of the scientific process to hypothesize and prove something right or wrong. I just dont think it is right to determine which theories are allowed to be tested and which are to be shouted down as "not science" or not factual. The scientific findings show if a theory is plausible or not. We dont need people like you telling someone that they have no right to postulate about a particular theory because the theory itself is outside the confines of science. Most breakthroughs have been made in science because someone decided to reject the assumptions of the scientific community of the day and consider something different.

Again, it's disappointing to see what you imagine the science of evolutionary biology to be...like it's just a bunch of people sitting around making up stories out of thin air. Why do you do this? Do you really have that dim of a view of evolutionary biology? If so, I have to wonder what that's based on, since it's obvious that you haven't bothered to actually look at the science behind this issue.
I dont think they are making up stories. I think they are looking for answers and I think they are in honest pursuit of those answers. What bothers me is when the same freedom is not given to others to pursue answers outside the perimeters of a common ancestor for all living things. That somehow those hypotheses are "religious" and cannot be pursued. Science should not determine such issues. Science is the work of testing the hypothesis and the results themselves should tell us if the hypothesis is worthy of consideration. Not allowing a certain realm of inquiry or discounting someone out of the gate simply due to their presuppositions is my issue. Everyone has presuppositions and to pretend only some do while the others are doing pure science is manipulative and prohibits real exploration for truth.

I read the abstracts....I dont know what you think they prove. They seem somewhat....forced to me.

Cetaceans have highly transformed pelvic and hindlimb bones as a secondary adaptation to an aquatic lifestyle. Paleontological records of these bones are very scarce, which hampers interpretations of their homology and evolution.
So, essentially what is being said here is, we know Shh isnt produced in the embryos which prevents the development of legs and causes their pelvis to function very differently from other mammals, and we dont have any paleontological records of it, but this is how it probably happened....

And then there is...

Integration of paleontological and developmental data suggests that hind-limb size was reduced by gradually operating microevolutionary changes. Long after locomotor function was totally lost, modulation of developmental control genes eliminated most of the hind-limb skeleton.
(I find it funny that this one talks about integrating the paleontoloigcal record of gradual change...of which the previous abstract says there really isnt one....hmmmm). Also, this abstract does indicate that this was a slow process over millions of years in which the limb gradually reduced through micro changes and suddenly quit functioning....I suppose this is when they turned into essential reproductive vestiges? Again, this is a lot of speculation based on very little evidence. Its fine that they have this theory and are trying to justify it with science, but there are a whole lot of presuppositions and assumptions going on here...as is evident in the language itself.
I've never really understood this creationist accusation, as if evolutionary biologists were a bunch of mafia guys who go around intimidating and smashing up the labs of anyone who dares study anything they don't like. I mean seriously, exactly how do you think I or any other scientist can stop a creationist organization from studying whatever they want? They have lots of money and other resources for fake museums, movies, speaking tours, and legal efforts. Surely they have enough to actually contribute something to science, right?
This is the kind of elitist garbage I am talking about. "{Yeah, we arent going to say you cant do your pseudo science you bunch of morons. Go build a fake museum." Meanwhile, teachers and professors are dismissed from their biology jobs if they do not affirm the theory. Obviously its not a "contribution" if its not toeing the big picture we all know to be fact. I mean, using science and biology to question whether or not whales could actually have been land-dwelling cows that took a swim and decided they liked it...millions of years ago is just anti-science. It doesnt give us a nice little tree of animals to show what we already KNOW happened. Its just prohibitive and a "no-can-do" attitude that isnt "contributing." Spare me.

"Hey wait....I haven't even really looked, so I don't know what research and analyses have been done on this, so maybe I shouldn't say that until I'm sure I know what I'm talking about"?
Are you even reading what I write? Have you forgotten what the original point was? I am writing about what you said was clear FACT and I said it is a series of theories that have often been proven wrong and thus different theories have been postulated. My whole point in writing this is that textbooks that supposedly teach how this FACT came about were often in error...only to be corrected with updated theories. How can you say its FACT when it continually needs editing based on findings. Once again, I know people who do "real science" and work in biological fields with bacteria so you dont get a tummy ache when you eat your steak. They do not believe in Darwinian evolution even though they understand (likely much more than you) how biology works and how resistances and adaptations, etc take place on a cellular level. The fact that you would label someone who does "real science" and contributes to science as "not contributing" because they do not hold to Darwinian evolution says all there needs to be said. Its this type of myopia that cant see its own glaring hypocrisy that I just cannot engage. Moreover, the elitist snubs about "fake museums" and making those who disagree with out out to be oppositional to this imaginary group you have where all real science is done is just nonsense. This is going right back to where we always end up...you labeling those who disagree with you as liars and morons and taking the superiority road where you are right a priori if others havent read every article on the topic. To me, it just looks like non-answers and a way of trying to shut people down rather than really engage in substantive conversation.

This is going nowhere...once again. I'll take my leave from the conversation now.

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
WW,

Your latest post has me so exasperated and befuddled, I honestly am starting to question why I do this. I've been at this forum for a couple of years now, and it's just the same ridiculous pattern over and over and over, and truthfully, I think it's starting to give me a really ingrained terrible impression of fundamentalist/conservative/right wing Christians. Allow me to demonstrate why...

Wormwood said:
So, again, the idea that the pelvic bones of a whale which are used for reproduction were once used for walking (or maybe walking and reproduction simultaneously!?) is not based in any science. There is no science to show that these bones once served another purpose.
Are....you.....serious? No science at all? None? Not one scrap of data from fossils, embryos, genetics, existing Cetaceans, or anything else?

I just don't know what to say. It's one thing for someone like you to say you don't agree with the science being done, but to say it doesn't even exist? That's so delusional, I don't know how to respond. Honestly, I feel like I'm talking to a mentally ill person. What else explains someone being shown multiple lines of research, and immediately responding that it doesn't exist? What else do you say to such a person?

The structure has a completely functional and meaningful use and the fact that textbooks taught these bones were once legs is not science in any way, shape or form. There is nothing to suggest this to be true, other than the demand to meet the need of the overarching hypothesis that must be maintained at all costs.
And now you invoke a global, centuries old conspiracy theory, as if earth and life scientists for the last 150 years have deliberately "maintained at all costs" a false theory because........? So basically your position is that there's absolutely no science behind whale evolution, and what science seems to be there is actually just part of the biggest conspiracy in the history of mankind.

Again, how do you respond to something like that? Is it even possible to have a rational discussion with someone who's this irrational? I don't see how.

Moreover, it was once assumed that "junk DNA" was also the result of evolutionary processes and that those elements of the DNA were no longer very useful because of the evolution of the cells to change functions. We now know that is not the case.
And now you're doing the exact same thing with yet another topic!

I just dont think it is right to determine which theories are allowed to be tested and which are to be shouted down as "not science" or not factual. The scientific findings show if a theory is plausible or not. We dont need people like you telling someone that they have no right to postulate about a particular theory because the theory itself is outside the confines of science. Most breakthroughs have been made in science because someone decided to reject the assumptions of the scientific community of the day and consider something different.
Here's another frustrating part of your post. I specifically asked you to explain how I, or any other scientist, is stopping creationists from researching and studying whatever they want. You completely ignored that, and just repeated your accusation. This is probably the most frustrating aspect of these discussions. I keep asking you guys questions like that, and you just ignore them like they were never asked. Why? Is it because you can't answer, but can't admit it either?

I dont think they are making up stories. I think they are looking for answers and I think they are in honest pursuit of those answers.
Now you're not making sense. Above you asserted that there's zero science behind this and that what work is being done is "meeting the needs of a hypothesis that must be maintained at all costs", yet here you're saying they're engaged in "honest pursuit of answers". Which is it?

If they're "in honest pursuit of answers", what are they doing? Conducting science? If so, how does that mesh with your initial claim that there isn't any science?

What bothers me is when the same freedom is not given to others to pursue answers outside the perimeters of a common ancestor for all living things. That somehow those hypotheses are "religious" and cannot be pursued. Science should not determine such issues. Science is the work of testing the hypothesis and the results themselves should tell us if the hypothesis is worthy of consideration. Not allowing a certain realm of inquiry or discounting someone out of the gate simply due to their presuppositions is my issue. Everyone has presuppositions and to pretend only some do while the others are doing pure science is manipulative and prohibits real exploration for truth.
And that brings us to the same question you ignored.....how are scientists stopping creationist organizations from conducting research?

I read the abstracts....I dont know what you think they prove. They seem somewhat....forced to me.
Given your above material, I truly don't care what you think of those, or any other scientific papers. It's quite obvious that if they seem to reach conclusions that aren't what you want to believe, you'll just make up excuses to wave them away. I think for the most part I'm done posting links to science resources here. It's not accomplished a single thing and is obviously a total waste of my time and effort.

The true irony here is how you're exhibiting the very bias you've been accusing scientists of.

So, essentially what is being said here is, we know Shh isnt produced in the embryos which prevents the development of legs and causes their pelvis to function very differently from other mammals, and we dont have any paleontological records of it, but this is how it probably happened....
Now you're dishonestly quote mining the abstract. The very next two sentences are "Newly found innominates, femora and tibia of Miocene baleen whales of family Cetotheriidae have primitive structure, which makes it possible to compare them with archaeocetes. As a result, a traditional view of acetacean innominate as containing vestiges of all three pelvic bones and acetabulum is corroborated by new data and interpretations."

So they started off by nothing that the scarcity of specific fossils made it difficult to test the hypothesis, but then point out that new fossil finds have allowed them to test and confirm the hypothesis. And what do you do? You copy the first part, but deliberately leave off the second.

Why? Are you so desperate to not give any ground or admit any error in this debate that you're willing to engage in such obvious dishonesty? Do you have any idea how disappointing it is to see someone like you do such a thing? What were you thinking when you did it? Or did you just shut off that part of your conscience that was telling you what you were doing was wrong?

I really, truly, and completely don't get it.

(I find it funny that this one talks about integrating the paleontoloigcal record of gradual change...of which the previous abstract says there really isnt one....hmmmm).
Ok...wait a minute. Perhaps it's possible that you just didn't understand that "Newly found innominates, femora and tibia of Miocene baleen whales..." meant that they have discovered new fossils. Is that what's going on here? You didn't recognize what that meant?

If so, that brings me back to the original question I asked and you didn't answer (continuing the frustrating pattern). How can someone who knows so little about the subject that he doesn't recognize that "newly found innominates" means "we found new fossils", simultaneously think themselves qualified to declare the entire field of research mere "propaganda"? How do you allow yourself to do this?

This is the kind of elitist garbage I am talking about. "{Yeah, we arent going to say you cant do your pseudo science you bunch of morons. Go build a fake museum." Meanwhile, teachers and professors are dismissed from their biology jobs if they do not affirm the theory. Obviously its not a "contribution" if its not toeing the big picture we all know to be fact. I mean, using science and biology to question whether or not whales could actually have been land-dwelling cows that took a swim and decided they liked it...millions of years ago is just anti-science. It doesnt give us a nice little tree of animals to show what we already KNOW happened. Its just prohibitive and a "no-can-do" attitude that isnt "contributing." Spare me.
You 100%, completely dodged the question...again. You've accused scientists of preventing creationist organizations from conducting research. I asked you how that works. Why can't you just answer the question? Exactly how do scientists prevent creationist organizations....organizations that have lots of money....from conducting research?

I am writing about what you said was clear FACT and I said it is a series of theories that have often been proven wrong and thus different theories have been postulated.
What exactly did I say was "clear fact"? Or are you going to ignore that too?

My whole point in writing this is that textbooks that supposedly teach how this FACT came about were often in error...only to be corrected with updated theories. How can you say its FACT when it continually needs editing based on findings. Once again, I know people who do "real science" and work in biological fields with bacteria so you dont get a tummy ache when you eat your steak. They do not believe in Darwinian evolution even though they understand (likely much more than you) how biology works and how resistances and adaptations, etc take place on a cellular level. The fact that you would label someone who does "real science" and contributes to science as "not contributing" because they do not hold to Darwinian evolution says all there needs to be said. Its this type of myopia that cant see its own glaring hypocrisy that I just cannot engage. Moreover, the elitist snubs about "fake museums" and making those who disagree with out out to be oppositional to this imaginary group you have where all real science is done is just nonsense. This is going right back to where we always end up...you labeling those who disagree with you as liars and morons and taking the superiority road where you are right a priori if others havent read every article on the topic. To me, it just looks like non-answers and a way of trying to shut people down rather than really engage in substantive conversation.

This is going nowhere...once again. I'll take my leave from the conversation now.
So given all the above, and the truly bizarre turn this conversation has taken, I have a hypothesis to explain what I think is going on. I've seen this pattern repeat itself enough times that I think I'm on to something.

There are quite a few creationist organizations out there who put a lot of money and resources into outreach materials. Websites, blogs, pamphlets, textbooks for Christian schools, movies, church speaking tours, etc. I've seen lots of these myself. They're very cleverly done, look professional, and are targeted to people like you....Christians who lean conservative and don't have much (if any) of a background in science. As such, because these are people you feel you can trust, you generally give them the benefit of the doubt. So through their various forms of media they propagate a set of arguments/talking points....things like "no new genetic information", "no transitional fossils", "whale evolution has been proven false", and things like that. And they also tell you that scientists are biased against God and have a sort of anti-Biblical agenda.

Then some of you take these talking points, internalize them, and eventually post them into forums like this. And because those creationists didn't really give you much to support those talking points, you have to post them as empty assertions. IOW, you say things like "whale evolution has no basis in science and has been proven false", and not much else. That's all they gave you, but you trust them to tell you the real truth. And I'd bet that when you say or post those things in friendly environments, they're received well, which only internalizes them more.

The problem comes when you post or say them in a place where someone like me is listening. Not only am I familiar with the actual science that's going on, I'm just as familiar with the creationist talking points, the organizations that propagate them, and what they attempt to base them on. So when you post those talking points, I know exactly how to counter them. Now what do you do? You can't really respond in kind because your creationist sources didn't supply you with that. They just sent you out with a series of talking points....they didn't tell you what to do beyond that. And you don't know the first thing about the science either. So when I ask something simple like "what do you mean by genetic information", you spend the next several days going "Er...um..." and scrambling around trying not to admit that you have no idea (because your creationist sources never told you that part).

And that's when the defensive reflex kicks in. Your talking points aren't holding up and you don't know how to respond to even basic questions. If you were to admit that you were wrong, you'd also be admitting that your creationist sources haven't been telling you the truth. That's a big deal emotionally....takes a lot of guts to do that. If you admit that I'm right, how do you tell your friends and family who are on the creationist team that you've left the team? Scary. So scary in fact, that it's not even an option for most people. That puts you in a corner. How to not give an inch to an "evolutionist", support your creationist team, and maintain the talking points in the face of contrary science that you don't understand and were told didn't exist?

We saw what The Barrd did....declare that none of it matters and run away.

And now we're seeing what you've chosen to do....say it doesn't exist, misrepresent what you were shown, repeat the talking points, and run away.

Simply put, this is all the result of you being set up by creationist organizations that play on your trust and loyalty, fill your head with false and misleading talking points, but don't give you much to go on when their dishonesty is exposed. IOW, you've been duped, but you're not willing to admit that to yourself. That's the best explanation I can come up with for this very, very consistent pattern I see among creationists. You...

1) Come into a thread and make a series of unsupported assertions (the talking points from creationist organizations)

2) Ignore/dodge most follow-up questions

3) Find any excuse to wave away contrary information

4) Repeat talking points

5) Leave

Earlier I was asked what I was scared of. Let me ask any creationists who care to answer....what are you so scared of that you're willing to repeat this predictable pattern?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! I'm amazed how this thread has gone so far. I find it interesting how I posted a link to something that all Christians should, at the least, share some sort of a common opinion or belief on and 3 pages in we are disagreeing. This is interesting in itself.

BA

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
Wow! I'm amazed how this thread has gone so far. I find it interesting how I posted a link to something that all Christians should, at the least, share some sort of a common opinion or belief on and 3 pages in we are disagreeing. This is interesting in itself.

BA
Who is WE paleface...I just see ONE member disagreeing. ;)

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Who is WE paleface...I just see ONE member disagreeing. ;)
HAHA! I try to be real general sometimes... Didn't want to point fingers. lol :p

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
I appreciate that...which is why you need people like me to keep it real. :rolleyes:
Is keeping it real code for stirring the pot? :p LOL

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Excuse me. I haven't "run away".
It is December. I have a lot of company. People are here from as far away as Oregon. I've been a little too busy for this foolish argument.

My contention is this.
It doesn't matter what "science" thinks it has found. The bottom line is this:
Goddidit.

Yes, Virginia, there really is an "Intelligent Designer" behind the Creation of the Universe, and He loves you so much that He died for you, so that you can have eternal life with Him. This information is a whole lot more important than whether or not a whale has vestigial leg bones...

And once again:
Science is never going to "find" anything that God did not put there in the first place.

I find it incredibly interesting that "science" has all sorts of information about how critters evolve from one form to another, but not one scrap of information about where life came from in the first place.
They have pages and pages of information about "new species", but don't have a single clue about what God might have meant when He created each critter "after its kind".

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
The Barrd said:
When you said the topic didn't matter and you were going to start ignoring me, I took that as it appeared.

My contention is this.
Goddidit.

Yes, Virginia, there really is an "Intelligent Designer" behind the Creation of the Universe, and He loves you so much that He died for you, so that you can have eternal life with Him. This information is a whole lot more important than whether or not a whale has vestigial leg bones...

And once again:
Science is never going to "find" anything that God did not put there in the first place.
In general, I don't think anyone here disagrees.

I find it incredibly interesting that "science" has all sorts of information about how critters evolve from one form to another, but not one scrap of information about where life came from in the first place.
Actually, they have quite a bit of information about where and how the first life forms arose. There is a lot of area between "they have it all figured out" and "they know nothing". Try and limit such black/white thinking whenever you can.

They have pages and pages of information about "new species", but don't have a single clue about what God might have meant when He created each critter "after its kind".
Probably because "kind" is a religious term, rather than a scientific one.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
River Jordan said:
When you said the topic didn't matter and you were going to start ignoring me, I took that as it appeared.
What you don't seem to understand, River, is that I am a Christian first. And I am a conservative Christian, meaning that I protest such things as abortion and gay marriage, etc. I'm not just a Christian on Sundays, I'm a Christian every day and every where.
That said, as I see it, science is nothing more than a tool that helps us to understanding the universe that God created. However, science has not made God obsolete, and it certainly has not replaced Him.
Nor will it, ever.

In general, I don't think anyone here disagrees.
I'm glad to know that, River. Thank you.

Actually, they have quite a bit of information about where and how the first life forms arose. There is a lot of area between "they have it all figured out" and "they know nothing". Try and limit such black/white thinking whenever you can.
Perhaps I have misunderstood. I remember reading somewhere that there were as many as seven, or possibly ten, different ideas on where and how life may have started.
Of course, every time I hear the term "primordial soup", I always think of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. My boys loved that cartoon!

Of course, where life started is not really a mystery.
It started with God.

Probably because "kind" is a religious term, rather than a scientific one.
That probably has a great deal to do with it, yes.

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
River Jordan said:
Based on what?

Science doesn't work that way.
One thing it is based on is the humongous backdown by atheists who are evolutionists. Until recently, monkeys became man, amoeba became fish, sand worms became animals. Then monkeys and man had the same ancestors and recently we are told that evolution is adaptation. It has nothing to do with monkeys becoming man or having the same ancestors.

Now that tells me that atheists who are evolutionists have hit a road block in their ideas so they have had to reconfigure everything to maintain some semblance of reality.

In addition I have read an article where a school district in America is going to allow students to make up their own minds (shock, horror) about evolution and ID. I can just see the Freedom from Religion organisation writing to the school district and threatening to take them to court if they allow students to make up their own mind and using their mantra to do that violates the Constitution.

No wonder American education is being dumbed down if thinking for yourself is vigorously fought against.

Thou shalt not think for yourself because you might come to a conclusion that we don't want you to come to so learn that the only way is the one we tell you to follow.

And I never said anything about how science worked so are you trying to sound relevant?

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The Barrd said:
It is December. I have a lot of company. People are here from as far away as Oregon. I've been a little too busy for this foolish argument.

My contention is this.
Goddidit.

And once again:

​In another place, I have regularly asked evolutionary atheists to tell me how life began. Nine out of 10 of them didn't answer. In other words they don't know. The other one said you don't have to know how life began to understand evolution. In other words, I don't know.

As I understand it, how life began determines how life continues. If you believe that God created everything after its own kind, then that means forever after that is how it will happen. if you believe that life arose out of a primordial soup, then life must develop in the same way.

The main problem with the second one is where did the primordial soup come from? In actual fact, the evolutionary atheist will always come unstuck because regardless at what point they start, they still have to explain where the material came from that produced what it said they did.

​The only way they can overcome that is to say that something came out of nothing, but even then they up the creek without a paddle because science shows that nothing can come out of nothing. There has to be something to become something so we are back to square one. Where did the something come from regardless of what it is.

When you think through evolution logically, it is the most illogical invention on earth.