Anti- Christian Crusade.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
River Jordan said:
I gave a link to the sort of thing I'm talking about. It's what you describe, plus comparing gays to Nazis, saying things like allowing gay marriage will lead to the end of civilization, etc.
Some people do seem to go off the deep end a bit, I'll give you that one.
The end of civilization? That one is debatable....perhaps it would be better to add "as we know it."
And, you know....they could be right.
There are more perversions waiting in that dark closet to "come out"....

No, that's not what I'm talking about.
I do seem to recall that you didn't think that Christian bakers ought to turn down someone asking for a gay wedding cake...or was that someone else? Forgive me if I am a bit confused...after all, I'm old.

If you truly think it's just fine to compare a committed, loving gay couple to pedophiles, then....well, I really don't know what to say to that, other than you shouldn't be surprised when you get just as much hate blown right back at you. You reap what you sew, and all that.
What I truly think is that your "committed, loving gay couple" are vile sinners....just the same as the pedophile, or the rapist, or any other sinner. Now, if I "get just as much hate blown right back at me" because I believe God, I will certainly not be surprised. As I recall, the Lord did warn us that the world wouldn't be too fond of us...it wasn't terribly cuddly with Him, or His Apostles, either, so I guess I'm in Good Company.
Besides, I think you mean "reap what you sow"....not "sew". Although I do like to sew...but I'm not as fine a seamstress as my daughter.

Since when it is a matter of the number of mentions in scripture? If God only says it once, it doesn't really count or isn't very important? :wacko: You'd think if God says something is an abomination, it is exactly that regardless of how many times He says it.
You mean that you are not aware that there has been a change in the law since Jesus' resurrection? We are under a New Covenant...the old dietary laws no longer apply.
Unless, of course, you are concerned about your health....

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
The Barrd said:
Some people do seem to go off the deep end a bit, I'll give you that one.
The end of civilization? That one is debatable....perhaps it would be better to add "as we know it."
And, you know....they could be right.
There are more perversions waiting in that dark closet to "come out"....
Every change is "the end of civilization as we know it". Abolishing slavery was "the end of civilization" as it was known at the time.

I do seem to recall that you didn't think that Christian bakers ought to turn down someone asking for a gay wedding cake...or was that someone else? Forgive me if I am a bit confused...after all, I'm old.
I think legally they have no justification for discriminating against gays in public business. I understand how Christians may feel about it, but the fact is we don't live in a Christian theocracy. We're a secular society and as such, gays have just as much right as you or I to walk into a place of public business and expect to be served.

What I truly think is that your "committed, loving gay couple" are vile sinners....just the same as the pedophile, or the rapist, or any other sinner.
I don't agree with that at all. And as we've covered in other threads, why is it just gays who get this treatment? Why don't we tell fat people who are on their third trip up to the buffet that they're just the same as someone who kills children?

Now, if I "get just as much hate blown right back at me" because I believe God, I will certainly not be surprised. As I recall, the Lord did warn us that the world wouldn't be too fond of us...it wasn't terribly cuddly with Him, or His Apostles, either, so I guess I'm in Good Company.
I usually see that cited as someone's justification for their hateful beliefs. "Yeah, I know my views on race aren't popular, but the Bible says we will be hated for our beliefs!"

Besides, I think you mean "reap what you sow"....not "sew". Although I do like to sew...but I'm not as fine a seamstress as my daughter.
Oops. Thanks! ;)

You mean that you are not aware that there has been a change in the law since Jesus' resurrection? We are under a New Covenant...the old dietary laws no longer apply.
Unless, of course, you are concerned about your health....
I understand, but have never fully bought that argument. At it's heart, it basically says "These things were abominations to God, but he's since changed his mind and they're OK now!" God changing his mind like that just doesn't sit well with me.

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
You should pray for understanding of the Bible, the word of God as it exists...you obviously do not have a grasp on it's meaning...do not question the word of God, accept it...if you think the word of God changes to keep the present fallen society happy, then you should maybe try some other religion, which allows for such activity, whether is be Greek, Judaism, or even Roman religion or whatever...
It has been well documented on this forum, that you and I have a far different perspective and understanding of the written word of God.
I'll leave it up to those who KNOW better, as to who understands and who does not, but making this assertion constantly only affirms IMO that you're the one suffering from a bad case of cognitive dissonance.

The Hebrew word shiqqûts is only used 5 times in the OT, and connotes; detestable thing or idol, abominable thing, abomination, idol, detested thing. This is all in relation to the temple, NOT sin. It is used 3 times in the NT and connotes the same thing, as 2 of them refer to Dan 12:11, and the 3rd is in Revelation 3, that refers to Babylon as idolatry with all its pollution.

I understand, but obviously YOU do not.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
So, you think homosexuality is "socially moral"?

Laws allowing abortion on demand do not require you to do anything...and yet, you do protest them, don't you?
Why?

You didn't actually answer my question...in your opinion, should our government make laws prohibiting prostitution?
Yes, I realize that those laws would be in agreement with God, but then, so would laws prohibiting gay marriage. What is the difference?
Why should the government prohibit a woman from selling her sexual favors, but allow her to marry marry her lesbian lover?

That's true....I have a bottle of brandy in my cupboard that has been there for several years. My brother gave it to me one evening when he came over for dinner, and we never opened it. As far as I know, it has never harmed anyone.
However, there are laws against alcohol abuse, as there ought to be...however, the laws against marijuana are much stricter, and much more likely to be enforced. I think you'll find that, overall, alcohol kills more people every year than guns or knives do...I'm not sure, because I haven't checked statistics on it...but alcohol does seem to bring out the worst in people, from what I've seen.
And yet I've never heard of anyone killing someone else under the influence of pot...have you?

I don't recall mentioning the Levitical Old Covenant.
I asked you if you thought the Ten Commandments were obsolete.
A completely different question....
Obviously is has become as such.

I do very little actual protesting Barrd. I live my life and share my POV with those that need it. I am NOT a moral dictator.

I'm pretty sure I did if you read it again. I gave you the example of Amsterdam, which I agreed with.

I have heard of it, and all DUI laws include ANY kind of influence.

and I didn't mention the 10 commandments in my post about the Mosaic laws, where you responded with this question, but I answered you. Jesus covered the 10 commandments in Matt 22:36-40, so yes their legal applicability is not longer in effect under the NEW covenant.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
River Jordan said:
Every change is "the end of civilization as we know it". Abolishing slavery was "the end of civilization" as it was known at the time.
That, my friend, is a very good point, and brought a very big grin to my face. Still, I am not easy in my mind about my kids and grandkids being taught that a family may have two dads, or two moms. Perhaps I'm just old...but it just seems wrong and unnatural to me.
And please do not tell me about gay animals. I grew up on a farm....trust me, it is not a really good idea to pattern our sexual behavior on animal sex....

I think legally they have no justification for discriminating against gays in public business. I understand how Christians may feel about it, but the fact is we don't live in a Christian theocracy. We're a secular society and as such, gays have just as much right as you or I to walk into a place of public business and expect to be served.
You don't find it strange that a gay couple would go to a place where they know that the proprietors are Christians, and therefore, likely to be opposed to their gay lifestyle, and insist that these people, and no other, must serve them, when there are plenty of other places that would welcome their business?
Or is it just me who would prefer not to go somewhere where I am obviously not welcome?

And again...we might be a secular society, but it is a part of our constitution that our Congress may not make any law prohibiting the establishment of religion or the free practice thereof.
There is not one single word there that indicates that this freedom ends at the door to our business...

I don't agree with that at all. And as we've covered in other threads, why is it just gays who get this treatment? Why don't we tell fat people who are on their third trip up to the buffet that they're just the same as someone who kills children?
You do know that obesity is one of our number one killers in America? I'm sure you've read the statistics. So, yes...gluttony kills. And when we encourage our kids to eat the kinds of things that contribute to this growing problem, we contribute to their early demise from things like diabetes, or heart disease, or any number of other ailments associated with gluttony.
As a nation, we need to be ashamed of our gluttony. So many of the world's children are starving, and here we are, getting fatter and fatter.
And I am speaking as one who does love her food, and who is packing a few extra pounds myself, to my own shame.

I don't think God is just sitting around on a pretty cloud somewhere, making up rules just to spoil our fun. There are serious reasons for every single rule He makes, and we would be much healthier and happier if we would only obey Him.

I usually see that cited as someone's justification for their hateful beliefs. "Yeah, I know my views on race aren't popular, but the Bible says we will be hated for our beliefs!"
So, believing that what God says is sinful is sinful is now a "hateful belief"? I honestly do not see how you come to that conclusion.
Yes, I know that there has been a lot of hateful rhetoric, from both sides of this issue...but that doesn't change the fact that God has forbidden homosexuality, and as Christians, we ought to have the chutzpah to call a sin what it is...a sin.
Yes, even if it is sin in ourselves, we still need to stand up against it and call it what it truthfully is....a sin.
It is not hate to point out sin and call it what it is. Indeed, it is more hateful to leave that gay couple to stew in their own sinful juice, as it were.
One day, they will have to face the judgement...
Then what?

Oops. Thanks! ;)
No problem. You'd do the same for me, I'm sure. ;)

I understand, but have never fully bought that argument. At it's heart, it basically says "These things were abominations to God, but he's since changed his mind and they're OK now!" God changing his mind like that just doesn't sit well with me.
I suppose, then, that it is a case of conscience.
For instance, you won't find ham on my table for Easter.
And I do not wear men's underwear, or plant corn in the tomato patch....

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Obviously is has become as such.
So, you seriously think that a decision handed down by SCOTUS overrides God's declaration that homosexuality is an abomination?
I'm afraid I can not agree.

I do very little actual protesting Barrd. I live my life and share my POV with those that need it. I am NOT a moral dictator.
Hmm.
I am an original 60's Flower Child.
I have been involved in public protests against abortion for a good many years. I'm getting old now, so I'm not as active as I once was...

I'm pretty sure I did if you read it again. I gave you the example of Amsterdam, which I agreed with.
I didn't ask you if you thought that Amsterdam ought to pass laws against prostitution.
I asked you about our government. Of course, perhaps you live in Amsterdam, in which case I owe you an apology...I assumed you live in the United States, just as I do.
I do not understand why it is alright for my government to make a law prohibiting a woman...or a man, for that matter, let's not discriminate...from selling her (or his) sexual favors for money, but allow those same men and women to marry their same sex lover.

I have heard of it, and all DUI laws include ANY kind of influence.
True. However, while it is legal for me to carry a bottle of brandy in my trunk (as long as I do not open it until I get home), it is illegal for me to carry a bag of marijuana.
And yet, the brandy causes more death and destruction than the pot...

and I didn't mention the 10 commandments in my post about the Mosaic laws, where you responded with this question, but I answered you. Jesus covered the 10 commandments in Matt 22:36-40, so yes their legal applicability is not longer in effect under the NEW covenant.
Which of the Ten Commandments is no longer applicable under the NC?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
So, you seriously think that a decision handed down by SCOTUS overrides God's declaration that homosexuality is an abomination?
I'm afraid I can not agree.

Hmm.
I am an original 60's Flower Child.
I have been involved in public protests against abortion for a good many years. I'm getting old now, so I'm not as active as I once was...

I didn't ask you if you thought that Amsterdam ought to pass laws against prostitution.
I asked you about our government. Of course, perhaps you live in Amsterdam, in which case I owe you an apology...I assumed you live in the United States, just as I do.
I do not understand why it is alright for my government to make a law prohibiting a woman...or a man, for that matter, let's not discriminate...from selling her (or his) sexual favors for money, but allow those same men and women to marry their same sex lover.

True. However, while it is legal for me to carry a bottle of brandy in my trunk (as long as I do not open it until I get home), it is illegal for me to carry a bag of marijuana.
And yet, the brandy causes more death and destruction than the pot...

Which of the Ten Commandments is no longer applicable under the NC?
I think I've made myself clear on the word "abomination", and SCOTUS does NOT override anything God says. You're mixing up two different worlds. God does not claim ANYWHERE to be speaking to non-believers, ONLY to believers, so I'm not really sure WHAT you are disagreeing about?

Have never been involved in protesting abortion because my faith is NOT part of my political ideologue. You can't force you faith on unbelievers.

In fact I said that Amsterdam HAS them, for a long time now, and that IMO, North American countries should have the same laws. I'm really not sure why you're having problems understanding my POV? Your quandary is because you are trying to rationalize human morality with God's morality and the two cannot be rationalized as the same. Bias exists in all areas of life, and even legislation won't change one's bias.

At this point in time marijuana laws all over North America are in flux, and we just elected a Federal Government in Canada, that has promised to legalize it. The result of which caused this to happen this past week, much to the chagrin of some people I'm sure.
http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/canada-hells-angels-members-protest-legalization-of-marijuana/

Non of them Barrd... we are NOT subject to ANY written laws, just to God's universal laws which He now writes on our minds and hearts. This is the NEW covenant, NOT the old covenant. I suggest you read and study Hebrews to understand the NEW covenant, especially Hebrews 8.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
It has been well documented on this forum, that you and I have a far different perspective and understanding of the written word of God.
I'll leave it up to those who KNOW better, as to who understands and who does not, but making this assertion constantly only affirms IMO that you're the one suffering from a bad case of cognitive dissonance.

Well, I will follow the Bible, and you can follow your Greek philosphers or whatever religious you wish...the Bible is very clear to me, even if it isn't to you....it is noted you are using a lot of "big" words to hide insecurity maybe?? I am betting you do not know the meaning of most of them, but are trying to impress someone....well kudos to you...keep on...You obviously need a lot of prayer to overcome whatever you are working on....in the meantime the Bible and the word of God does not change to meet society's declining morality...maybe you should work on getting society to bring their standards up to the Bible....do you understand that or is it too complex for you?

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:
Well, I will follow the Bible, and you can follow your Greek philosphers or whatever religious you wish...the Bible is very clear to me, even if it isn't to you....it is noted you are using a lot of "big" words to hide insecurity maybe?? I am betting you do not know the meaning of most of them, but are trying to impress someone....well kudos to you...keep on...You obviously need a lot of prayer to overcome whatever you are working on....in the meantime the Bible and the word of God does not change to meet society's declining morality...maybe you should work on getting society to bring their standards up to the Bible....do you understand that or is it too complex for you?
I am speaking of Greek translators, NOT philosophers, and I am speaking of the Greek manuscripts, NOT the English translations.
Are you telling us you are KJVO? If so that is a totally different matter that has already been dealt with in this forum.

Your style of condescension is the same as I encounter from many FALSE teachers. Never from true believers.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
I am speaking of Greek translators, NOT philosophers, and I am speaking of the Greek manuscripts, NOT the English translations.
Are you telling us you are KJVO? If so that is a totally different matter that has already been dealt with in this forum.

Your style of condescension is the same as I encounter from many FALSE teachers. Never from true believers.
[/quote

If you are not following the Bible, as it is written how would you know the difference? It takes inspiration from God, and His Holy Spirit to know the difference...if you are not following the Bible and it's word as it is written you can not know what is right or wrong, can you? Time you learned the truth and it will make you free, as Jesus said...free from doubts about your spirituality...give it a try..with lots of prayer it will work for you...maybe!

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
heretoeternity said:

[/quote

If you are not following the Bible, as it is written how would you know the difference? It takes inspiration from God, and His Holy Spirit to know the difference...if you are not following the Bible and it's word as it is written you can not know what is right or wrong, can you? Time you learned the truth and it will make you free, as Jesus said...free from doubts about your spirituality...give it a try..with lots of prayer it will work for you...maybe!
Now you're just avoiding....are you KJVO or not?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
Now you're just avoiding....are you KJVO or not?
Now you've got me wondering...
Do you have a problem with the KJV?

I have many versions of the Bible in my house, and I've read them all. Very honestly, I truly do not see any really significant difference between them.
Evidently, you do?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
StanJ said:
I think I've made myself clear on the word "abomination", and SCOTUS does NOT override anything God says. You're mixing up two different worlds. God does not claim ANYWHERE to be speaking to non-believers, ONLY to believers, so I'm not really sure WHAT you are disagreeing about?
Okay, call it "disgusting" then, if that pleases you better. It's all semantics, anyway...homosexuality was and is forbidden to mankind under God, is that true, or not? It is a sin, yes?
Now, I believe that we, as Christians, are called to be "the light of the world"...that is that, the things that we say and do ought to shine God's Light into the darkness of this world. God has given to us His law...and it is incumbent upon us to declare that law to a sinful world.
To say that His law is "ONLY for believers" does not relieve believers of that responsibility.

Have never been involved in protesting abortion because my faith is NOT part of my political ideologue. You can't force you faith on unbelievers.
Protesting a law that allows for the murder of unborn children is not quite the same thing as forcing my faith on unbelievers.
Again, I will say that, those of us who have worked to protect these little ones from the slaughter have seen a few victories....because of our efforts, children who would have been aborted are alive today.
I don't mind in the least admitting that my faith is INDEED a part of my "political Idealogue"...in fact, I would go so far as to say that my Christian faith IS my "political idealogue".
In all things, including politics, I am His Humble Servant. My pen, my hands, my feet, my mouth....all of these belong to Jesus...

In fact I said that Amsterdam HAS them, for a long time now, and that IMO, North American countries should have the same laws. I'm really not sure why you're having problems understanding my POV? Your quandary is because you are trying to rationalize human morality with God's morality and the two cannot be rationalized as the same. Bias exists in all areas of life, and even legislation won't change one's bias.
My quandary is in trying to understand how there could be any other morality beside God's morality. Man, left to his own devices, has no morality. Or have you not read that the heart of man is desperately wicked?
I do not agree that we need the same laws regarding prostitution as they have in Amsterdam. It is right that there should be laws prohibiting prostitution...but at the rate we're going, it wouldn't surprise me to find those laws have also been abolished, and prostitution made legal.

At this point in time marijuana laws all over North America are in flux, and we just elected a Federal Government in Canada, that has promised to legalize it. The result of which caused this to happen this past week, much to the chagrin of some people I'm sure.
http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/canada-hells-angels-members-protest-legalization-of-marijuana/
Oh, so you are what my brother calls a "Canuck", eh?
If that is true, then I owe you an apology. Having grown up near Buffalo, I have spent quite a bit of time in Canada. When I was young, my family used to vacation up at Crystal Beach every year. I don't think the place exists any more...at least, not as it did during those years.

Non of them Barrd... we are NOT subject to ANY written laws, just to God's universal laws which He now writes on our minds and hearts. This is the NEW covenant, NOT the old covenant. I suggest you read and study Hebrews to understand the NEW covenant, especially Hebrews 8.
I assume that you are talking about this passage?

Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

Which echoes this passage nearly word for word:

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Now, I had always assumed that God's Law in these passages meant the Ten Commandments. But you think that they have been abolished?
Then, it is now acceptable for Christians to
Worship other gods?
Make and worship idols?
Use God's name as a curse?
Stop putting aside a day for rest and worship?
Dishonor our parents?
Kill?
Steal?
Commit adultery?
Lie about other people?
Jealously long for what does not belong to us?

We can now do all of these things that were once forbidden to us, and not bother about repentance, because these Ten Laws have been abolished?

I didn't get that memo, either....

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
The Barrd said:
That, my friend, is a very good point, and brought a very big grin to my face.
Glad I could make you smile. :D

Still, I am not easy in my mind about my kids and grandkids being taught that a family may have two dads, or two moms. Perhaps I'm just old...but it just seems wrong and unnatural to me.
And please do not tell me about gay animals. I grew up on a farm....trust me, it is not a really good idea to pattern our sexual behavior on animal sex....
Well, now it's not really a matter of telling kids about same sex families, because eventually they're going to see them for themselves. A lot of kids today personally know someone from a same sex family, or someone who actually is gay. And yeah, it is kinda generational. It's really not as big a deal as it used to be (socially). Middle schoolers still giggle and snicker though, but they do that with everything. :p

You don't find it strange that a gay couple would go to a place where they know that the proprietors are Christians, and therefore, likely to be opposed to their gay lifestyle, and insist that these people, and no other, must serve them, when there are plenty of other places that would welcome their business?
Or is it just me who would prefer not to go somewhere where I am obviously not welcome?
How are they supposed to know the business is owned not just by Christians, but by right wing Christians who won't serve them? And to be honest with you, I have a feeling if the shoe were on the other foot and it was Christians who were being discriminated against like this, they wouldn't just be quietly going around from store to store until they found one who would serve them. I'm pretty sure the talking heads at Fox News would be in an uproar, Republican Presidential candidates would be shouting about it constantly, and such. Shoot....they get all freaked out when someone at a store says "Happy Holidays"! Can you imagine if they were told "We don't serve Christians here"?

Like I said, gays...like all other citizens of the United States....have a right to walk into a public business and be served just like everyone else.

And again...we might be a secular society, but it is a part of our constitution that our Congress may not make any law prohibiting the establishment of religion or the free practice thereof.
There is not one single word there that indicates that this freedom ends at the door to our business...
Freedom of religion is not a free pass to break whatever law you like. Like all our other freedoms, it comes with certain limits, and not breaking laws is a big one.

You do know that obesity is one of our number one killers in America? I'm sure you've read the statistics. So, yes...gluttony kills. And when we encourage our kids to eat the kinds of things that contribute to this growing problem, we contribute to their early demise from things like diabetes, or heart disease, or any number of other ailments associated with gluttony.
As a nation, we need to be ashamed of our gluttony. So many of the world's children are starving, and here we are, getting fatter and fatter.
And I am speaking as one who does love her food, and who is packing a few extra pounds myself, to my own shame.
So where are all the billion dollar campaigns from right wing Christians demonizing the obese the same way they've done with gays? Where are all the protesters at the buffets? Where are all the op-ed pieces in conservative Christian media saying obese people are no different than child rapists and murderers?

So, believing that what God says is sinful is sinful is now a "hateful belief"? I honestly do not see how you come to that conclusion.
Homosexuality is a sin, the Bible is very clear on that, and so are lots of other things. Yet looking around at Christians in the US, you'd think homosexuality was some sort of special, extra bad sin that deserves super hateful condemnation. Christians have poured billions of dollars into trying to deny gays their basic civil rights, and as the link I posted shows, spend enormous resources on demonizing gays in some of the worst ways possible. Why gays? Why don't the greedy jerks on Wall St. get the same treatment? Shoot, for that matter why don't the greedy televangelists who rip people off in the name of Jesus Christ get even a tenth of this treatment? Jesus spoke waaaaaaay more about the love of money than about being gay.

From where I sit, it looks to me like there's just something about gays that some people really, really don't like and Christianity provides a convenient excuse for them to continue in their hate. And when they're called on it they fall back on "Well, the Bible says I'll be hated for being a Christian", when the reality is no one is hating them merely for being Christian. The anger comes from them singling out, and being so over the top nasty to one group of sinners over all others.

It is not hate to point out sin and call it what it is. Indeed, it is more hateful to leave that gay couple to stew in their own sinful juice, as it were.
Sure, and that's a very good point. So which do you think is more likely to persuade gay folks...approaching them in a kind manner, or telling them they're just like child rapists and murderers, and fighting like crazy to deny them basic civil rights?

I suppose, then, that it is a case of conscience.
For instance, you won't find ham on my table for Easter.
And I do not wear men's underwear, or plant corn in the tomato patch....
Fair 'nuff. :)

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
River Jordan said:
Glad I could make you smile. :D
River, you always make me smile. I don't always agree with you, but I do like and admire you.

Well, now it's not really a matter of telling kids about same sex families, because eventually they're going to see them for themselves. A lot of kids today personally know someone from a same sex family, or someone who actually is gay. And yeah, it is kinda generational. It's really not as big a deal as it used to be (socially). Middle schoolers still giggle and snicker though, but they do that with everything. :p
My grand daughters and I were exposed to it one lazy afternoon when I took my girls to the mall in Pensacola. I probably should have paid more attention to the crowds, but my main concern was actually finding a good parking space.
I had no idea that there was a "gay pride parade" coming through. My girls were treated to the rather hilarious sight of one slightly chubby guy in spandex who had a problem keeping his britches, which seemed to be a size or two too small for him, from rolling down and exposing his bottom, which, unfortunately, was covered in pussy sores. Needless to say, my daughter, the girls' mom, was rather unhappy with me for letting them watch this grotesque performance.
We don't seem to have too many gay families here in the small town in Alabama where I live. If there are any, they tend to stay hidden. I'm afraid some of the rednecks who live around here are far less tolerant than I am.
Yes, middle schoolers are known to smirk and giggle...the little darlings! :wacko: I'm afraid that is not going to change any time soon.
(Isn't that what got Ismael into trouble with Sarah? I'm sure they've been doing it since Eve had her first.)

How are they supposed to know the business is owned not just by Christians, but by right wing Christians who won't serve them? And to be honest with you, I have a feeling if the shoe were on the other foot and it was Christians who were being discriminated against like this, they wouldn't just be quietly going around from store to store until they found one who would serve them. I'm pretty sure the talking heads at Fox News would be in an uproar, Republican Presidential candidates would be shouting about it constantly, and such. Shoot....they get all freaked out when someone at a store says "Happy Holidays"! Can you imagine if they were told "We don't serve Christians here"?
In at least one case, as I recall, the bakery was known to the couple who wanted the cake. They had done business there before.
And most places that are owned and run by Christians usually say so somewhere on their front, as well as in their advertising. I'd say that the word "Christian" in large letters on the front window ought to provide a clue.
Now, I don't know about you, but if I were told "sorry, we don't serve Christians here", I would certainly take my business elsewhere. And especially if the person who told me this had given me a list of other businesses who would be willing to serve me. I certainly would not want any food prepared for me by someone who holds animosity toward Christians! I've worked as a waitress, and though I've never done it personally, I do know what someone can do to food if you make them angry with you. Nasty. Someday, I will tell you some of the things I've seen...but you'll never eat at a fast food place again!
And I do not shop at stores that refuse to use the term "Christmas", although I do not mind being wished a "Cool Yule" or "Happy Hannakah" or any other such greeting, including "Happy Holidays". Just understand that you will get a heart-felt "Merry Christmas" in return.

Like I said, gays...like all other citizens of the United States....have a right to walk into a public business and be served just like everyone else.
Sure...but why single out places that you know you are not welcome at?

Freedom of religion is not a free pass to break whatever law you like. Like all our other freedoms, it comes with certain limits, and not breaking laws is a big one.
We're not talking about sacrificing virgins, here, River.

So where are all the billion dollar campaigns from right wing Christians demonizing the obese the same way they've done with gays? Where are all the protesters at the buffets? Where are all the op-ed pieces in conservative Christian media saying obese people are no different than child rapists and murderers?
I suppose if obese people wanted to have fat-pride parades, there might be some outcry. But seriously, do you think that fat people are not discriminated against? Have you ever seen a chubby legal secretary?
You are right, of course, gluttony is a sin. And it is one that the obese will pay for, in their own bodies. Again, you do know that obesity has become our #1 killer? Do not doubt it, my friend....fat people do suffer.

Homosexuality is a sin, the Bible is very clear on that, and so are lots of other things. Yet looking around at Christians in the US, you'd think homosexuality was some sort of special, extra bad sin that deserves super hateful condemnation. Christians have poured billions of dollars into trying to deny gays their basic civil rights, and as the link I posted shows, spend enormous resources on demonizing gays in some of the worst ways possible. Why gays? Why don't the greedy jerks on Wall St. get the same treatment? Shoot, for that matter why don't the greedy televangelists who rip people off in the name of Jesus Christ get even a tenth of this treatment? Jesus spoke waaaaaaay more about the love of money than about being gay.
Do you think Christians ought to condone homosexuality?
You are right, all sin is bad. However, SCOTUS has not legalized child molesting, or bestiality, or rape, has it? I'm fairly sure that if they were to do so, there would be huge public outcry, and rightly so. Or did you think that gays were the only perversion lurking in that closet?
Why not the greedy jerks on Wall Street? LOL...because, my innocent, sweet brother, money talks. Yes, I know....it is wrong, wrong, wrong...but it is still a fact. Same goes for the greedy televangelists. You do know, I trust, that they will, eventually, get their reward. Perhaps it would be better for them, in the long run, if they could hear this before that time comes...however, I doubt they would listen, any more than the gay community is listening.

From where I sit, it looks to me like there's just something about gays that some people really, really don't like and Christianity provides a convenient excuse for them to continue in their hate. And when they're called on it they fall back on "Well, the Bible says I'll be hated for being a Christian", when the reality is no one is hating them merely for being Christian. The anger comes from them singling out, and being so over the top nasty to one group of sinners over all others.
By George, I think you've got it! Yes, yes, yes....there is "something about gays that people really, really don't like"!
River, my dear, dear man....homosexuality is a sexual perversion. It is unnatural. It is no different than any other sexual perversion. It is no different than bestiality, or pedophilia, or necrophilia, or rape...all of which occur in the animal kingdom by the way. It is natural to humans to be disgusted by it. It is the way we were made. As you very well know, God specifically intended sex to be between one man and one woman in a committed, marriage relationship. Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve.... So, when humans react with distaste, it is because it is natural for us to do so.
Are you disgusted by the woman who has sex with her dog? Or with NAMBLA? What about the guy who can't "perform" unless there is an element of force involved? Or the undertaker who...well, you know. Do these things disgust you? That, my friend, is a natural reaction. It is the way God made us.
Right now, we are fighting against nature, trying to "make allowances" for this particular sexual perversion. I'm not quite sure why.
What is next?
I guarantee, if you start singling out fat people, or greedy people, and pointing out their sin, they won't like it, either. There will be anger and they will tell you that you are "over the top nasty".

Sure, and that's a very good point. So which do you think is more likely to persuade gay folks...approaching them in a kind manner, or telling them they're just like child rapists and murderers, and fighting like crazy to deny them basic civil rights?
I'm still not clear on how this is a "basic civil right"? Being gay is not like being black, no matter how hard people try to make that comparison. It is not like being a redhead, or even being left-handed. It is a sexual perversion...it is abnormal. It is so obviously against nature that I am embarrassed to have to point this out.
However, your point is well taken. And I do actually know of one man...my husband's nephew...who was once what you'd call "flaming", who is now happily settled down with a wife (a woman), and who has three gorgeous daughters. So it is possible, if one wants it badly enough.

Fair 'nuff. :)
:wub:

River Jordan

Jan 30, 2014
The Barrd said:
River, you always make me smile. I don't always agree with you, but I do like and admire you.
Awwww....you're making me blush. :wub: (and btw, I'm a woman)

My grand daughters and I were exposed to it one lazy afternoon when I took my girls to the mall in Pensacola. I probably should have paid more attention to the crowds, but my main concern was actually finding a good parking space.
I had no idea that there was a "gay pride parade" coming through. My girls were treated to the rather hilarious sight of one slightly chubby guy in spandex who had a problem keeping his britches, which seemed to be a size or two too small for him, from rolling down and exposing his bottom, which, unfortunately, was covered in pussy sores. Needless to say, my daughter, the girls' mom, was rather unhappy with me for letting them watch this grotesque performance.
We don't seem to have too many gay families here in the small town in Alabama where I live. If there are any, they tend to stay hidden. I'm afraid some of the rednecks who live around here are far less tolerant than I am.
Yes, middle schoolers are known to smirk and giggle...the little darlings! :wacko: I'm afraid that is not going to change any time soon.
(Isn't that what got Ismael into trouble with Sarah? I'm sure they've been doing it since Eve had her first.)
Yep, and that puts the schools in a bit of a spot. They know they're going to have gay students and students from same sex families, so in order to help minimize bullying, they proactively teach about this fact. It's not like they can keep pretending that gays don't exist.

In at least one case, as I recall, the bakery was known to the couple who wanted the cake. They had done business there before.
And most places that are owned and run by Christians usually say so somewhere on their front, as well as in their advertising. I'd say that the word "Christian" in large letters on the front window ought to provide a clue.
But here's the problem..."Christian" does not mean "won't serve gays". In the Oregon florist case (I think), the gay couple ended up getting arrangements from another florist who was also a Christian. So basically, you're sliding towards signs at shops that say "Will not serve gays". Is that really the society we want?

Now, I don't know about you, but if I were told "sorry, we don't serve Christians here", I would certainly take my business elsewhere. And especially if the person who told me this had given me a list of other businesses who would be willing to serve me. I certainly would not want any food prepared for me by someone who holds animosity toward Christians! I've worked as a waitress, and though I've never done it personally, I do know what someone can do to food if you make them angry with you. Nasty. Someday, I will tell you some of the things I've seen...but you'll never eat at a fast food place again!
Well, I guess not everyone is as accepting of discrimination as you.

Sure...but why single out places that you know you are not welcome at?
Why did blacks single out diners they knew wouldn't serve them? Because they were fighting for the basic civil right of equal treatment under the law. Gays are doing the same thing.

We're not talking about sacrificing virgins, here, River.
I didn't say we were. But the point remains...freedom to practice one's religion is not a free pass to break the law.

I suppose if obese people wanted to have fat-pride parades, there might be some outcry.
You mean something like this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fat_acceptance_movement

But seriously, do you think that fat people are not discriminated against? Have you ever seen a chubby legal secretary?
Yes I have.

You are right, of course, gluttony is a sin. And it is one that the obese will pay for, in their own bodies. Again, you do know that obesity has become our #1 killer? Do not doubt it, my friend....fat people do suffer.
But here's the problem. With gluttony and greed, you're content to let them get their reward when they stand before God. But when it comes to gays, that's not good enough. You fight to keep them from being able to get married, be served at public businesses, or not be fired for simply being gay. Why that extra step for gays, but not for the obese and greedy?

Do you think Christians ought to condone homosexuality?
No. But we don't have to be hateful jerks about it either.

You are right, all sin is bad. However, SCOTUS has not legalized child molesting, or bestiality, or rape, has it? I'm fairly sure that if they were to do so, there would be huge public outcry, and rightly so. Or did you think that gays were the only perversion lurking in that closet?
Those other things have specific victims. Homosexuality is between two consenting adults. That's a significant difference, especially in a secular society.

Why not the greedy jerks on Wall Street? LOL...because, my innocent, sweet brother, money talks. Yes, I know....it is wrong, wrong, wrong...but it is still a fact. Same goes for the greedy televangelists. You do know, I trust, that they will, eventually, get their reward. Perhaps it would be better for them, in the long run, if they could hear this before that time comes...however, I doubt they would listen, any more than the gay community is listening.
Again we see the double standard. When it comes to money lovers, it's a shrug of the shoulders and.....meh, they'll get theirs in the end. But when it comes to gays, it's crazy, hateful rhetoric and billion dollar campaigns to deny their basic civil rights. Not only that, but the love of money is in our own house. Look at the mega-churches and the prosperity gospel movement.

I've posted this here before, and I'll summarize it again. Surveys have shown that young people are leaving Christianity en masse, and one of the main reasons they cite for doing so is they see us as being overly focused on gays, and being hateful about it. I work with the youth program at our church, and I've had many conversations with high schoolers where they ask me why Christians are so obsessed with gays. A lot of these kids know and love people who are gay, and they can't stand to see them demonized so terribly.

IOW, this whole thing is backfiring on us.
By George, I think you've got it! Yes, yes, yes....there is "something about gays that people really, really don't like"!
River, my dear, dear man....homosexuality is a sexual perversion. It is unnatural. It is no different than any other sexual perversion. It is no different than bestiality, or pedophilia, or necrophilia, or rape...all of which occur in the animal kingdom by the way.
Like I said above, those other things have definite victims. Homosexuality is between two consenting partners. I know very committed, loving gay couples and I can't imagine going up to them and telling them things like that.

I'm still not clear on how this is a "basic civil right"?
The Constitution guarantees all citizens equal protection under the law. So when a gay couple wants to enter into a marriage contract, the government has no legal basis on which to deny it, while granting the same thing to a straight couple. The same holds true for public accommodation and employment (e.g., not being fired for being gay). Christian groups have spent untold resources trying to deny all those things to gays, while demanding them for themselves. That's horrible.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
River Jordan said:
Awwww....you're making me blush. :wub: (and btw, I'm a woman)
Sorry. i have a friend in the "real" world whose name is River Hunter. He is a guy. I just thought River was a guy's name.
I still like and respect you as a woman....but I'm not nearly as likely to flirt with you :D

Yep, and that puts the schools in a bit of a spot. They know they're going to have gay students and students from same sex families, so in order to help minimize bullying, they proactively teach about this fact. It's not like they can keep pretending that gays don't exist.
I don't think it's going to work. Kids are always going to be kids. And as I keep saying, the reaction to gays is natural. I don't think that's going to change any time soon, either.

But here's the problem..."Christian" does not mean "won't serve gays". In the Oregon florist case (I think), the gay couple ended up getting arrangements from another florist who was also a Christian. So basically, you're sliding towards signs at shops that say "Will not serve gays". Is that really the society we want?
You're asking the wrong person that question. My answer is going to be "Yes, we want a more Godly society", and of course, you will tell me that "we are not a Theocracy" and I will say "That is a shame, we would be much happier if we would only obey God"....etc, etc....

Well, I guess not everyone is as accepting of discrimination as you.
The way things are looking, we'd better get used to it. Christianity is on it's way out.
But this should not come as a surprise to anyone.

Why did blacks single out diners they knew wouldn't serve them? Because they were fighting for the basic civil right of equal treatment under the law. Gays are doing the same thing.
Being black is not the same thing as being gay.
One is a skin color and is perfectly natural.
The other is a sexual perversion, and there is nothing natural about it.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Now you've got me wondering...
Do you have a problem with the KJV?
I have many versions of the Bible in my house, and I've read them all. Very honestly, I truly do not see any really significant difference between them.
Evidently, you do?
As some use it, yes, and you and I have discussed this. Abomination as used in the KJV for some sin is NOT acceptable in today's modern English language and as it is used in the Hebrew relates ONLY to idolatry and sacrilege within the temple.
Our friends responses clearly show he is focused on the English word, not the Hebrew or Greek rendering, which he calls philosophies.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
Okay, call it "disgusting" then, if that pleases you better. It's all semantics, anyway...homosexuality was and is forbidden to mankind under God, is that true, or not? It is a sin, yes?
Now, I believe that we, as Christians, are called to be "the light of the world"...that is that, the things that we say and do ought to shine God's Light into the darkness of this world. God has given to us His law...and it is incumbent upon us to declare that law to a sinful world.
To say that His law is "ONLY for believers" does not relieve believers of that responsibility.

Protesting a law that allows for the murder of unborn children is not quite the same thing as forcing my faith on unbelievers.
Again, I will say that, those of us who have worked to protect these little ones from the slaughter have seen a few victories....because of our efforts, children who would have been aborted are alive today.
I don't mind in the least admitting that my faith is INDEED a part of my "political Idealogue"...in fact, I would go so far as to say that my Christian faith IS my "political idealogue".
In all things, including politics, I am His Humble Servant. My pen, my hands, my feet, my mouth....all of these belong to Jesus...
The word I said is properly rendered in English, is "detestable". ALL sin is detestable in God's eyes, or do you ascribe to mortal and venial sins?
Yes, and we are admonished to not hide our light under a basket, but it is our LIGHT that is to shine, NOT our words.
We are to WALK the WALK, not TALK the walk.

No it is not, and go for it if you feel that is what you should do, but leave the job of condemnation to God.
I would be careful to not mix politics and religion...it hasn't helped the middle east one iota.
So I would encourage you to walk CIRCUMSPECTLY and not REACT to things that offend you. Eph 5:15-20 (KJV)

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The Barrd said:
My quandary is in trying to understand how there could be any other morality beside God's morality. Man, left to his own devices, has no morality. Or have you not read that the heart of man is desperately wicked?
I do not agree that we need the same laws regarding prostitution as they have in Amsterdam. It is right that there should be laws prohibiting prostitution...but at the rate we're going, it wouldn't surprise me to find those laws have also been abolished, and prostitution made legal.
Morality has nothing to do with being good, as Jesus said, NO MAN is good. Morality is how a social society guides itself, and is based on the majority view. You totally miss the point Paul is making in 1 Cor 5:9-13

Status
Not open for further replies.