Any non-Catholics here participate in Lent?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Jan 11, 2016
I know the Lutherans and Anglicans do depending on what brand of the denomination they are.

I try to read the word more often during lent and whatever the church tells us such as fasts or whatever.

Was going to give up the internet but then realized my whole life depends upon technology in order to sustain :lol:

Probably stay away from Facebook as it's full of dirty laundry and nonsense.

Anyone else?

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Welcome to CB! Catholics are very much welcome on this site. Wish we had more of such practices. It is hard enough to get people to church these days, to get them to practice observances such as Lent would be a big next step[!

Jan 11, 2016
rockytopva said:
Welcome to CB! Catholics are very much welcome on this site. Wish we had more of such practices. It is hard enough to get people to church these days, to get them to practice observances such as Lent would be a big next step[!
Thanks so much for the warm welcome, rocky

I know what you mean. Church attendance is down all over the US in pretty much all denominations.

It's interesting I have protestant relatives who don't like Catholicism because it's "too legalistic"...yet they hardly ever step foot in their baptist church or whatever. :unsure:

Guess it all depends on the disposition of our hearts. If we love the Lord and do things with a joyful heart we wont see any legalism.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
The Roman church is "legalistic" towards it's own man made and pagan based doctrines,which are, in most cases widely different than what the Bible says..Lent is one of those variances, and easter, the pagan based day which is substituted when Jesus was crucified and the day when He was resurrected...,

Remember always, salvation is through the Son of God, God's grace and commandments, and not the sungod/satan and his doctrines and days of sunday, dec 25th and easter, all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origin.

Jan 11, 2016
heretoeternity said:
The Roman church is "legalistic" towards it's own man made and pagan based doctrines,which are, in most cases widely different than what the Bible says..Lent is one of those variances, and easter, the pagan based day which is substituted when Jesus was crucified and the day when He was resurrected...,

Remember always, salvation is through the Son of God, God's grace and commandments, and not the sungod/satan and his doctrines and days of sunday, dec 25th and easter, all of which are non Biblical and of pagan origin.
Thanks for your advice.

This bible you speak of, how do you know the 66 books in it are inspired?

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Actually, Episcopalians and Methodists (I think) observe Lent.
I think it is appropriate to sacrifice something, to honor the sacrifice the Lord made for us.

You will not find ham on my table for Easter dinner...it just seems so disrespectful to me to celebrate His sacrifice by breaking one of the old dietary laws....
Besides, I do love turkey with all the trimmings... ;)

Jan 11, 2016
The Barrd said:
Actually, Episcopalians and Methodists (I think) observe Lent.
I think it is appropriate to sacrifice something, to honor the sacrifice the Lord made for us.

You will not find ham on my table for Easter dinner...it just seems so disrespectful to me to celebrate His sacrifice by breaking one of the old dietary laws....
Besides, I do love turkey with all the trimmings... ;)
Yeah, I sort of practiced it as a Anglican.

Interesting point about ham...so many have Ham for Christmas <_< Never really thought about the dietary thing but i see what you mean.

Barrd

His Humble Servant
Jul 27, 2015
...following a Jewish carpenter...
Veni_Creator_Spiritus said:
Yeah, I sort of practiced it as a Anglican.

Interesting point about ham...so many have Ham for Christmas <_< Never really thought about the dietary thing but i see what you mean.
I always thought it was rather disrespectful. I mean, here the Lord, Himself, goes through intense torture and dies, because we can't keep a handful of simple rules...and how do we celebrate this glorious event?

By breaking one of those simple rules.

Not in my house....

Turkey is easy, it's healthier, and my family loves it. I do a huge turkey dinner for Christmas, too...with all the trimmings.

Jan 11, 2016
The Barrd said:
I always thought it was rather disrespectful. I mean, here the Lord, Himself, goes through intense torture and dies, because we can't keep a handful of simple rules...and how do we celebrate this glorious event?

By breaking one of those simple rules.

Not in my house....

Turkey is easy, it's healthier, and my family loves it. I do a huge turkey dinner for Christmas, too...with all the trimmings.
Good point

Jan 11, 2016
heretoeternity said:
How do you know any of the 66 books are inspired?
73 are inspired, actually.

I'll make it simpler for you since you are avoiding it.

There were nearly 30 "gospels" floating around in the early church. How do you know the 4 gospels in your bible are inspired?

Jan 11, 2016
heretoeternity said:
How do you know there are 73 inspired? Why not 93, why not 53..why 73? what is your Biblical proof?
We know because a infallible church told us.

Unless of course you think bibles slid down rainbows at pentecost

Jan 11, 2016
heretoeternity said:
Oh the "infallible" pope told you? lol.....and you believe him?
No, reality told me.

When Jesus ascended He left us 12 men with His authority ( John 20:21-23 ) and apostolic tradition, some of which eventually ended up in your bible. Not millions of King James bibles to be distributed and privately interpreted.

And you trust in that same church you have so much venom towards for your sole rule of faith, whether you realize it or not.

Have a blessed day.

heretoeternity

Oct 11, 2014
Asia/Pacific
Trust pagan Roman church? Read Revelation 17 of the Bible (for which you seem to have animosity) ...the scarlet and purple harlot seems to fit don't you think?

Deborah_

Jun 7, 2015
Swansea, Wales
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Veni_Creator_Spiritus said:
I know the Lutherans and Anglicans do depending on what brand of the denomination they are.

I try to read the word more often during lent and whatever the church tells us such as fasts or whatever.

Was going to give up the internet but then realized my whole life depends upon technology in order to sustain :lol:

Probably stay away from Facebook as it's full of dirty laundry and nonsense.

Anyone else?
Many Anglicans observe Lent, but it isn't regarded as a compulsory. Some people find it a useful discipline. I don't - but that may be because I am a naturally self-disciplined person anyway. The only bit of Lent I observe is Pancake Day. ;)

Jan 11, 2016
heretoeternity said:
Trust pagan Roman church? Read Revelation 17 of the Bible (for which you seem to have animosity) ...the scarlet and purple harlot seems to fit don't you think?
Let me see if I understand your situation correctly, since you are just trolling and don't answer questions..

You think Rome got everything wrong except the new Testament, which you base your entire rule of faith on.

Are you a gambler?

You wont answer that either so I'm about to put you on ignore.

I don't want the administrators of this site getting the wrong idea and thinking I'm proselytizing. So if you ever get serious and want to discuss your many objections to the Church(that means having a actual dialogue and answering questions, btw), go to this site http://forums.catholic.com/and each issue will be properly addressed.