Anyone taking Losartan Potassium?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Starting this week, I'm giving mom 25 mg a day of Losartan Potassium for high blood pressure. She's 93 years old.

Her physical therapist will take a reading tomorrow. If the reading is still high, then will increase to the whole pill, 50 mg. (Doctor said I could start her on half.)

I read on the Internet to be careful of too much Potassium. Is it ok to still give mom her multivitamin and mineral supplement? Since that has a little Potassium in it.

I read that beans have a lot of Potassium. I usually make chili every couple of weeks. Is that ok for her? I use kidney beans, beef, celery and tomatoes.

Thanks for any input.

Reactions: marks

Mama Etna

Oct 28, 2019
The Twin Cites - Minnesota
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would depend on how good her kidney function is. I take 50 MG of Losartan Potassium a day. Because my kidney function is good, I can get away with eating high potassium foods as long as I don't over do it. If she has poor kidney function then it is best to avoid high potassium foods.

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That would depend on how good her kidney function is. I take 50 MG of Losartan Potassium a day. Because my kidney function is good, I can get away with eating high potassium foods as long as I don't over do it. If she has poor kidney function then it is best to avoid high potassium foods.
Thanks, that helps a lot. Her kidneys are good....as is her other blood work.

I do have to keep after her about drinking water though. Ever since the hospital last October, she doesn't want to drink as much.

I did have to increase her Losartan Potassium to 50 mg.

The physical therapist gave me a wrist blood pressure monitor because it's easier for me to use. His last visit was yesterday. The nurse will still come once a week to check her blood pressure for awhile.

Thankfully, Medicare covers the home health as long as it is just now and then.

St. SteVen

Feb 5, 2023
Minneapolis
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm taking Losartan, which I call LowTarzan. - LOL
This is in addition to Atenolol and Hydroclorothiazide for high blood pressure.
Which I have taken for a decade or more.

Dosages are Atenolol 100mg, Hydroclorothiazide 50 mg, Losartan 50 mg.
I think I strated the Losartan at 25 mg. and then we increased it to 50 mg.
Seems to be helping. I've seen improved BP readings lately.

I can't eat bananas, so the potassium is probably good for me.
Oddly, i love banana bread. As long as I don't witness the batter prep.
Makes me want to vomit. I run from the presence of brown bananas. - LOL

I love the Grinch song lyric: "You're a bad banana, with a greasy black peel" (ew...)

Reactions: Debp