Apocalyptic Dreams

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

shnarkle

Nov 10, 2013
Faith
Other Faith
Country
United States
The internet is filled with the dreams and foreboding warnings of those who are certain that the end of the world is upon us. We're all going to die, but for some reason if we're all going to die as a group at the exact same moment, this takes on some sort of significance over the standard plan of dying as individuals. For those who may not be aware of this little statistic, over 100,000 people (on average) die around the world every day. Perhaps when it reaches 144,000, some may find this significant as well.

Human beings have dreams, but some have apocalyptic dreams, most likely due to spicy foods, horror and disaster movies, and of course the numerous "end times" preachers analyzing the prophecies contained in Holy Writ; garbage in/garbage out.

Let's assume for a moment that the end of the world is near. We've all heard the warning. There is no logical reason to assume that one more person making this claim is going to raise anyone's awareness of the situation. There's nothing special about their message as it is the exact same message that has been going out for the last few millennia. There is nothing special about the next voice calling this warning that will suddenly persuade the rest of the world to repent from their evil ways and join in the chorus.

However, dreams do perform a service in revealing to us the deeper meanings and themes of our subconscious mind...

====

The Spicy Buffalo Wings With the Tequila Chaser Dream (not to be confused with the hot pepper high colonic dream).

After driving through half the night, we finally arrived at my parent's place and as we stood in the kitchen deliberating whether to utilize the wifi hotspot on my phone and burn up some metered data or drive around some more and find a hotspot in some mini-mart or gas station, we suddenly noticed the tell-tale rumbling and corresponding flash of light from a rocket ascending into the night sky.

This wasn't all that unusual an occurrence coming from the Air Force base. The launches were sporadic, but more likely to occur than an earthquake. We ran out the door into the front yard to get a better view, but this was no ordinary launch. Instead of the normal solitary flash lighting up the sky like a super flair, the sky was now full of these streaming flairs, all of which seemed to be meeting up with corresponding flairs which were descending like falling stars.

Upon meeting up with their designated mate, the resulting flash was followed with an ever expanding plum of darkness smothering any and all glimmers of light from the sky like huge blotches of black obliterating a Jackson Pollack painting.

The first thud shook the ground and immediately took out the electrical grid which left us standing in a darkness that effectively rendered us completely blind. We used the lights from our smartphones to make our way back into the kitchen as we began to wonder if the descending cloud of black smoke might be more than just ugly, but lethal as well. As we stood once again in the kitchen, we decided to venture back to the car and take our chances inland, hoping that this event was confined to just the central coast.

So the big question was settled for us, and we opted to use up some of our precious data, if a connection was still even available on the smartphone's wifi hotspot. If not, unlike premonitions which wait for no one; our Facebook notifications would just have to wait...

========================

The Hot Pepper High Colonic Dream

Dr. Strangelove had always been a favorite of mine, not just because of the great cast of characters, the actors, and the plot, but because there is nothing more sincere than humor. So when I discovered that I was literally sitting atop the nose cone of an Atlas II rocket as it broke free of its gantry, the humor was temporarily lost as I attempted not to lose my balance. Why remaining there seemed preferable to simply falling off isn't quite clear, and as the air began to buffet my face peeling it back into rapidly flapping epidermal waves, I began to seriously regret my decision.

My sunglasses began to bend around my face until eventually snapping off. My hair was pinned back by the onrushing wind which quickly abandoned my scalp. The pressure was eventually too much for my spine and unable to remain in this seated position, I finally had to lean back and was instantly sucked down the side of the rocket just as its first stage separated.

This resulted in me being flung through a large wall of flame as well as the subsequent exhaust which then slowed my ascent considerably while toasting me like a marshmallow as I tumbled in the turbulence of the hot exhaust and the quickly cooling air around it.

And then the rocket was gone, and I was left to come to the summit of my climb. Hovering for a moment, at this point the first and second degree burns began to find some relief as the cool air felt quite soothing. This along with the fact that, had I jumped from my perch before liftoff, I would necessarily have been fried to a crisp as the exhaust shot me into the launch pad, and been deprived of not only a bowel evacuating thrill ride, but this somewhat lighter, and pleasant free fall back to earth.

At some point our impending mortality is something we learn to accept, and just enjoy the ride's spectacular view.

Last edited: