Are all born-again Christians part of God’s elect?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Warrior

Apr 18, 2012
So I am not the elect because I dont want to get baptized, Dont want to speak in tongues, Or spend all day everyday thinking about it.....

It doesnt sound right, I think God's elect are people he knew from the start he would choose to help into the kingdom

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
I see this as a new revelation ... the similarity between Lucifer and some born-again Christians!
(And even Saul and others in the OT.)

Lucifer was God's anointed arch-angel ... God's #1 created being in the whole universe!

He was even in a position over Michael and Gabriel.

Did this lofty position hold any guarantees that he would stay in God's good graces?

NO ... because obedience is king.

Those who run from being obedient to what they have revelation about ... are thrown out ... disqualified.

WOW!

God's Amazing Grace ...
-- granted to the human race in general ... given the chance to escape hell
-- granted to the born-again believer ... given the chance to co-operate with being sanctified

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Inmate said:
So I am not the elect because I dont want to get baptized, Dont want to speak in tongues, Or spend all day everyday thinking about it.....

It doesnt sound right, I think God's elect are people he knew from the start he would choose to help into the kingdom
I agree Inmate.

You could very well be one of the elect .

They say we will all be surprised who ends up in heaven
And really surprised at who does not make it .

That's assuming we make it there ourselves of course :)

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
IMO, this describes ONLY the actual ELECT who make it through to the end ...

“And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God,
to those who are the called according to His purpose.
For whom He foreknew, He also predestined …
whom He predestined, these He also called;
whom He called, these He also justified;
and whom He justified, these He also glorified.” (Romans 8:28-30)

IMO, God’s elect are ... foreknown >> predestined (chosen) >> called >> justified >> glorified

Elsewhere, we've been going through a LONG analysis of Hebrews 6:4-6 and the conclusion is ...
A BORN-AGAIN PERSON CAN FALL AWAY AND NOT BE SAVED.

I.E. he/she never was a part of the elect in Romans 8:29-30!

And, of course, this makes sense of (and explains) all of those serious warnings to the churches!

This is just another one of those important spiritual Truths,
which are "somewhat hidden" in the NT.

@ the moment, the list is up to 7.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
John Zain said:
Elsewhere, we've been going through a LONG analysis of Hebrews 6:4-6 and the conclusion is ...
A BORN-AGAIN PERSON CAN FALL AWAY AND NOT BE SAVED.
I dont want to derail this thread but you (and nearly all christians) completely misunderstand hebrews 6

It is written to religious observant jews who have become christians but are very imature and want to go back to the elementary teachings about repentance and it is impossible for them to be brought back to repentance BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALREADY REPENTED and accepted Christ. Now they need to go on to maturity .... that is the whole issue in Hebrews 6

Besides .... even in the narrowest sense it never even hints at the loss of salvation ..... it discusses the impossibility of repenting (accepting Christ) over and over again .

Accepting Christ once is sufficient.

In the deepest sense Hebrews 6 confirms the Once- saved- always- saved doctrine.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Many thanks, Arnie ... now just please explain ...
WHY all of the many dozens of warnings to the churches, and WHY all of Jesus's many warnings?

The floor is yours ... Go for it.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
John Zain said:
Many thanks, Arnie ... now just please explain ...
WHY all of the many dozens of warnings to the churches, and WHY all of Jesus's many warnings?

The floor is yours ... Go for it.
In the 7 letters to the 7 churches in revelation Jesus had many rebukes for them .... but never did he say they would lose salvation ..... I think the worst thing he said was ... "I am about to spit you out of my mouth"

That sounds pretty serious yes ...... but it does not say ..... "you have lost your salvation"

The whole new testament urges the Christians to constantly improve ..... but there is no mention of being saved one day ... and unsaved the next day .....

Certainly there are imposters and fakes within the church ..... and there are people who speak the name of the Lord without actually knowing the Lord ....... but they cannot lose their salvation ...... because they did not have it in the first place.

Jesus himself even said about them ..... "I never knew you"

And on the subject of churches ...... look at the First Corinthian church ..... if it could be done wrong they were doing it ..... it is a long list ...... yet it also says they lacked no spiritual gift ..... and the author of Corinthians thanks God for his great grace toward the Corinthians .... they sure needed it.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Arnie Manitoba said:
I dont want to derail this thread but you (and nearly all christians) completely misunderstand hebrews 6

It is written to religious observant jews who have become christians but are very imature and want to go back to the elementary teachings about repentance and it is impossible for them to be brought back to repentance BECAUSE THEY HAVE ALREADY REPENTED and accepted Christ. Now they need to go on to maturity .... that is the whole issue in Hebrews 6

Besides .... even in the narrowest sense it never even hints at the loss of salvation ..... it discusses the impossibility of repenting (accepting Christ) over and over again .

Accepting Christ once is sufficient.

In the deepest sense Hebrews 6 confirms the Once- saved- always- saved doctrine.

Many are called but few are chosen. Even Paul was concerned about making the cut. But most Christians today think higher of themselves than Paul. This has more to do with the present attitude of the many than the truth of the bible.

Arnie Manitoba said:
In the 7 letters to the 7 churches in revelation Jesus had many rebukes for them .... but never did he say they would lose salvation ..... I think the worst thing he said was ... "I am about to spit you out of my mouth"

That sounds pretty serious yes ...... but it does not say ..... "you have lost your salvation"

The whole new testament urges the Christians to constantly improve ..... but there is no mention of being saved one day ... and unsaved the next day .....

Certainly there are imposters and fakes within the church ..... and there are people who speak the name of the Lord without actually knowing the Lord ....... but they cannot lose their salvation ...... because they did not have it in the first place.

Jesus himself even said about them ..... "I never knew you"

And on the subject of churches ...... look at the First Corinthian church ..... if it could be done wrong they were doing it ..... it is a long list ...... yet it also says they lacked no spiritual gift ..... and the author of Corinthians thanks God for his great grace toward the Corinthians .... they sure needed it.

Does Jesus spit the Laodicean church from His mouth...and into glory????

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Born-again according to who? The Word has the only good definition of what a born again person looks like.

Here is the definition of being born-again:

1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently:
1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

They obey the truth which purifies their souls (sanctification) and they love the brethren with a pure heart (they are not trying to take advantage of one another), fervently. .

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Are all born-again Christians part of God’s elect? - yes, they are...because "born-again" indicates the dwelling presence of the Holy Spirit, the guarantee of our redemption :)

Bless ya!

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
It is about 20 years ago since i went through the bible trying to discern what "the elect' refers to.

My memory is rusty so I will not give a completely accurate opinion at this time.

But I do recall that terms such as "the elect" and "the saints" often referred to Israel and at other times to the chrristians .

It would probably require a careful study to really sort it all out without bias toward any one doctrine.

At the time I studied it I was "biased" that "the elect" and "the saints" in revelation could be Israel ...... because if that is the case it would explain how the christian church could be raptured out ..... and yet some of Gods elect remain as Israel.

I still tend to feel that way ...... but a careful study might change my thinking.

For now why dont we select an occasional verse about "the elect" to see if we can pinpoint it as the church or Israel or whatever.

And without bias or pre-conceived notions would be best in my opinion.

here is an example where it sounds like we are the elect .... not Israel
Romans 11:7 .... What Israel sought so earnestly it did not obtain, but the elect did.
but it could also be referring to messianic jews

but then a couple of verses down it refers to israel being the elect
Romans 11:28 .... As far as the gospel is concerned, they are enemies on your account; but as far as election is concerned, they are loved on account of the patriarchs,

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Angelina said:
Are all born-again Christians part of God’s elect?
- yes, they are...because "born-again" indicates the dwelling presence of the Holy Spirit,
the guarantee of our redemption :)
Okay, next ... Are all of God's elect guaranteed to make it to Heaven?

You know where I'm going ... because ...
warnings to the churches indicate that some members will not make it, if they aren't overcomers, etc.
Or are these warnings not aimed at any of the elect?

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
whitestone said:
Only believers in Christ who endure to the end are the elect Israel.

There it is.

In Matt.24:24, the phrase "very elect", the word "very" is often translated as 'and' or 'both'. It's implying a specific group of elect based on foreknowledge, like Eph.1 and Rom.8. It's implying the elect God ordained to be leaders and overseers of His Church on earth.

The contrast to those is given in 2 Thess.2 with the same subject of that pseudo-Christ coming to trick believers into bowing to him in false worship, and that's where the separation for our time will occur within Christ's Church on earth. Those who fall away to the false messiah will not have endured to the end, and thus they will not be counted with Christ's elect who remain faithful to Him.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
veteran said:
Only believers in Christ who endure to the end are the elect Israel.

There it is.
In Matt.24:24, the phrase "very elect", the word "very" is often translated as 'and' or 'both'. It's implying a specific group of elect based on foreknowledge, like Eph.1 and Rom.8. It's implying the elect God ordained to be leaders and overseers of His Church on earth.
The contrast to those is given in 2 Thess.2 with the same subject of that pseudo-Christ coming to trick believers into bowing to him in false worship, and that's where the separation for our time will occur within Christ's Church on earth. Those who fall away to the false messiah will not have endured to the end, and thus they will not be counted with Christ's elect who remain faithful to Him.
Surely, you are referring to an incredibly short span of time.
I thought we were talking about Christians during a 2000-year time period.

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
John Zain said:
Surely, you are referring to an incredibly short span of time.
I thought we were talking about Christians during a 2000-year time period.
The 'end' is meant the end of this world. We are still in it today. And the final Antichrist who will set himself up as God, to be worshipped over all that is called God, is very near to come today. So it's not time to party yet. The main battle for our time is just getting started.

John Zain

Newbie trainee
Sep 16, 2010
San Diego, CA
Please, V ...

This whole thread is about born-again Christians and God's elect during the past 2000 years,
and you're insisting on turning it into an end-times thread?