Are Doctrines affected by Modern Versions

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A Cross-over:

I found this interesting (If you REALLY want to know why it wasn't included.):
Matthew 17:21 The Passion Translation (TPT)

21 But this kind of demon is cast out only through prayer and fasting.”[
a]

Footnotes:
[a]
Matthew 17:21 As translated from the Hebrew Matthew, Aramaic, and some Greek manuscripts. Many reliable Greek manuscripts do not have this verse, and it is not included in many modern translations.
The footnote is quite misleading:

"... [Uncials] Aleph-2; C; D; E; F; G; H; K; L; M; O; S; U; V; W; X; Y
Gamma; Delta; Pi; Sigma; Phi; Omega

Cursives: MAJORITY; fam 1,13
Old Latin: (a); aur; (b); (c) d; f; ff2; g1; l; (n); q; r1,2; Vulgate
Syriac: (peshitta) (harclean)
Coptic: bohairic-pt; mae; Armenian; Ethiopic-ppl
Also extant in 047; 055; 0211 ..." - A Closer Look; Early Manuscripts & The AV by Jack Moorman; page 68​

ECF:

"... PSEUDO-CLEMENT OF ROME, Concerning Virginity (I 8:59)
ORIGEN, Matthew (I 10:479)
AMBROSE, Letters (III 10:459)

-------------------
MK. 9:29 "This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting". The ANPF indexes the quotations to Matthew. ..." - Early Church Fathers And The Authorized Version, by Jack Moorman, page 40
Additionally:

Ambrose:

"... And since they say that we ought not to fast, let them prove for what cause Christ fasted, unless it were that His fast might be an example to us. Lastly, in His later words He taught us that evil cannot be easily overcome except by our fasting, saying: "This kind of devils is not cast out but by prayer and fasting." Matthew 17:21 ..." - Ambrose, Letter 63; point 15. - CHURCH FATHERS: Letter 63 (Ambrose)

Augustine:

"... 116. Matthew goes on in the following terms: And when He had come to the multitude, there came to Him a certain man, kneeling down before Him, and saying, Lord, have mercy on my son; for he is lunatic, and sore vexed; and so on, down to the words, Howbeit this kind is not cast out but by prayer and fasting. Both Mark and Luke record this incident, and that, too, in the same order, without any suspicion of a want of harmony. ..." - Augustine, Harmony of the Gospels, Book II; Chapter 58, point 116. - CHURCH FATHERS: Harmony of the Gospels, Book II, Chapter 58 (Augustine)
Thomas Aquinas in Summa Theologica, citing Jerome:

"... Objection 2. Further, every sin is either carnal or spiritual. Now, as Jerome says on Mark 9:28, "This kind" of demons "can go out by nothing, but by prayer and fasting: Diseases of the body are healed by fasting, diseases of the mind, by prayer." Therefore no other work of satisfaction is necessary. ..." - Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theolgica; Question 15, Article III; Objection 2. - SUMMA THEOLOGIAE: The means of making satisfaction (Supplementum, Q. 15)
It is also in the Jerome's Latin Vulgate, which he got from the original Vetus Latina, the real Vulgate in Latin, except Jerome places it at Matthew 17:20:

"... hoc autem genus non eicitur nisi per orationem et ieiunium ..." - ESword, Latin Vulgate (Jerome).
Finally -

"... It is quoted by such early church writers as Origen, Asterius, Hilary, Basil, Ambrose, Chrysostom, Jerome and Augustine. ..." - https://brandplucked.webs.com/matthew1721.htm

"... Among those critical text versions that contain the verse are Weymouth New Testament 1912, J.B. Phillips N.T. 1962, The New Berkeley Version in Modern English 1969, the Living Bible 1971, the Amplified Bible 1987, the [NASB 1995], The Last Days Bible 1999, The New Century Version 2005, the Holman Standard 2009 [in brackets], the New European Version 2010, The Voice 2012, the International Children’s Bible 2015 and the International Standard Version 2014 with NO brackets.

The entire verse of Matthew 17:21 is found in the Anglo-Saxon Gospels 1000 A.D., Wycliffe 1395, Tyndale 1534, Coverdale 1535, the Great Bible 1540, Matthew’s Bible 1549, the Bishops’ Bible 1568, the Douay-Rheims 1582, the Geneva Bible 1587, the Beza N.T. 1599, Mace N.T. 1729, Whiston’s N.T. 1745, John Wesley’s N.T. 1755, Worsley Version 1770, Haweis N.T. 1795, Living Oracles 1835, Sawyer N.T. 1858, The Emphatic Diaglott 1865, Darby 1890, Young’s 1898, the New Lamsa's translation of the Syriac Peshitta 1933, New Life Version 1969, the NKJV 1982 and the Lawrie Translation 1998.

Other English Bibles that contain Matthew 17:21 are The Word of Yah 1993, The Interlinear Greek N.T. 1997 (Larry Pierce), the Worldwide English N.T. 1998, Third Millennium bible 1998, God’s First Truth 1999, Sacred Scriptures Family of Yah 2001, The Tomson N.T. 2002, The Resurrection Life N.T. 2005, English Majority Text Version 2009, Bond Slave Version 2009, Faithful N.T. 2009, The Hebraic Transliteration Scripture 2010 - “Howbeit this kind goes not out but by tefillah (prayer) and tzom (fasting).”, the Holy Scriptures VW Edition 2010, The Work of God’s Children Illustrated Bible 2011, the Online Interlinear 2010 (André de Mol), the Expanded Bible 2011, The Orthodox Jewish Bible 2011, the Conservative Bible 2011, The Far Above All Translation 2011, The Biblos Interlinear Bible 2011, the Interlinear Hebrew-Greek Scriptures 2012 (Mebust), The Word of God Bible 2012 and the Modern English Version 2014.

Foreign Language Bibles that Contain Matthew 17:21

Among the foreign language Bibles that contain Matthew 17:21 are the Spanish Sagradas Escrituras 1569, Cipriano de Valera 1602, the Reina Valera 1960-1995, the French Martin 1744, the French Ostervald 1996 and the French Louis Segond 2007, Luther’s German Bible 1545 and the German Schlachter Bible 2000 - “ Aber diese Art fährt nicht aus außer durch Gebet und Fasten.”, the Italian Diodati 1649, La Nuova Diodati 1991 and the Nuova Riveduta 2006, the Dutch Staten Vertaling, the Portuguese Almeida Atualizada 2009, the Hungarian Karoli Bible, the Russian Synodal Bible, the Romanian Cornilescu Bible and the Romanian Fidela 2014, the Czeck BKR, the Tagalog Ang Salita ng Diyos 1998, and the Polish Updated Gdansk Bible 2013. ..." - https://brandplucked.webs.com/matthew1721.htm

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
A Cross-over:

Also extant in 047; 055; 0211 ..." - A Closer Look; Early Manuscripts & The AV by Jack Moorman; page 68​

ECF:

-------------------
MK. 9:29 "This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting". The ANPF indexes the quotations to Matthew. ..." - Early Church Fathers And The Authorized Version, by Jack Moorman, page 40
Additionally:

Ambrose:

"... And since they say that we ought not to fast, let them prove for what cause Christ fasted, unless it were that His fast might be an example to us. Lastly, in His later words He taught us that evil cannot be easily overcome except by our fasting, saying: "This kind of devils is not cast out but by prayer and fasting." Matthew 17:21 ..." - Ambrose, Letter 63; point 15. - CHURCH FATHERS: Letter 63 (Ambrose)

Augustine:

"... 116. Matthew goes on in the following terms: And when He had come to the multitude, there came to Him a certain man, kneeling down before Him, and saying, Lord, have mercy on my son; for he is lunatic, and sore vexed; and so on, down to the words, Howbeit this kind is not cast out but by prayer and fasting. Both Mark and Luke record this incident, and that, too, in the same order, without any suspicion of a want of harmony. ..." - Augustine, Harmony of the Gospels, Book II; Chapter 58, point 116. - CHURCH FATHERS: Harmony of the Gospels, Book II, Chapter 58 (Augustine)

"... Objection 2. Further, every sin is either carnal or spiritual. Now, as Jerome says on Mark 9:28, "This kind" of demons "can go out by nothing, but by prayer and fasting: Diseases of the body are healed by fasting, diseases of the mind, by prayer." Therefore no other work of satisfaction is necessary. ..." - Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theolgica; Question 15, Article III; Objection 2. - SUMMA THEOLOGIAE: The means of making satisfaction (Supplementum, Q. 15)
It is also in the Jerome's Latin Vulgate, which he got from the original Vetus Latina, the real Vulgate in Latin, except Jerome places it at Matthew 17:20:

"... hoc autem genus non eicitur nisi per orationem et ieiunium ..." - ESword, Latin Vulgate (Jerome).
Finally -

"... It is quoted by such early church writers as Origen, Asterius, Hilary, Basil, Ambrose, Chrysostom, Jerome and Augustine. ..." - https://brandplucked.webs.com/matthew1721.htm

"... Among those critical text versions that contain the verse are Weymouth New Testament 1912, J.B. Phillips N.T. 1962, The New Berkeley Version in Modern English 1969, the Living Bible 1971, the Amplified Bible 1987, the [NASB 1995], The Last Days Bible 1999, The New Century Version 2005, the Holman Standard 2009 [in brackets], the New European Version 2010, The Voice 2012, the International Children’s Bible 2015 and the International Standard Version 2014 with NO brackets.

The entire verse of Matthew 17:21 is found in the Anglo-Saxon Gospels 1000 A.D., Wycliffe 1395, Tyndale 1534, Coverdale 1535, the Great Bible 1540, Matthew’s Bible 1549, the Bishops’ Bible 1568, the Douay-Rheims 1582, the Geneva Bible 1587, the Beza N.T. 1599, Mace N.T. 1729, Whiston’s N.T. 1745, John Wesley’s N.T. 1755, Worsley Version 1770, Haweis N.T. 1795, Living Oracles 1835, Sawyer N.T. 1858, The Emphatic Diaglott 1865, Darby 1890, Young’s 1898, the New Lamsa's translation of the Syriac Peshitta 1933, New Life Version 1969, the NKJV 1982 and the Lawrie Translation 1998.

Other English Bibles that contain Matthew 17:21 are The Word of Yah 1993, The Interlinear Greek N.T. 1997 (Larry Pierce), the Worldwide English N.T. 1998, Third Millennium bible 1998, God’s First Truth 1999, Sacred Scriptures Family of Yah 2001, The Tomson N.T. 2002, The Resurrection Life N.T. 2005, English Majority Text Version 2009, Bond Slave Version 2009, Faithful N.T. 2009, The Hebraic Transliteration Scripture 2010 - “Howbeit this kind goes not out but by tefillah (prayer) and tzom (fasting).”, the Holy Scriptures VW Edition 2010, The Work of God’s Children Illustrated Bible 2011, the Online Interlinear 2010 (André de Mol), the Expanded Bible 2011, The Orthodox Jewish Bible 2011, the Conservative Bible 2011, The Far Above All Translation 2011, The Biblos Interlinear Bible 2011, the Interlinear Hebrew-Greek Scriptures 2012 (Mebust), The Word of God Bible 2012 and the Modern English Version 2014.

Among the foreign language Bibles that contain Matthew 17:21 are the Spanish Sagradas Escrituras 1569, Cipriano de Valera 1602, the Reina Valera 1960-1995, the French Martin 1744, the French Ostervald 1996 and the French Louis Segond 2007, Luther’s German Bible 1545 and the German Schlachter Bible 2000 - “ Aber diese Art fährt nicht aus außer durch Gebet und Fasten.”, the Italian Diodati 1649, La Nuova Diodati 1991 and the Nuova Riveduta 2006, the Dutch Staten Vertaling, the Portuguese Almeida Atualizada 2009, the Hungarian Karoli Bible, the Russian Synodal Bible, the Romanian Cornilescu Bible and the Romanian Fidela 2014, the Czeck BKR, the Tagalog Ang Salita ng Diyos 1998, and the Polish Updated Gdansk Bible 2013. ..." - Matthew 17:21
i take it you are a papist, with all the quoting of Paul's wolves and whatnot, im curious why you would not frequent a Catholic forum where your pov would be more accepted? I mean dont get me wrong i apparently love Catholics, ok, but you have crossed a boundary stone to come here, which being Scripture i dont expect you to...um, understand the same way i do, but i can tell you--ha well no one can tell you anything right but i can say that the spiritual principle there is going to function just fine whether we understand it or not i guess.

ok best of luck to you in your rambles ok, ima ramble on myself :)
"in the flesh" was added by scribes, who also wanted to become immortal, imo,
which is i guess why you quote scribes and not Scripture
Early Church Fathers And The Authorized Version,
i know the wolves will rush in as soon as i leave, not sparing the flock

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Better than any like you who's had it bad enough to never have known the <ol scientists> like I was lucky enough to get to know them.
well of course they are just ppl too, just believers like we are, who seek to keep their egos intact just like we do, i guess? But i have posted a thing about Cassini more than once, prolly still searchable, wasnt meaning to defend scientists per se ok, but i would choose their method over that of lawyers, yes.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
"The best cure for Christianity is reading the Bible"
SClemens

EXACTLY! Especially if it is a or all 20th century Reformed Faith Protestants that must be <cured> with <reading the Bible> the devil's way.

Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn 2 mins ·
How would one get the other to read the Bible the devil's way? By the one translating the Bible for the other the devil's way.

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Most difficult about a language is to be able to speak it, while must be about everybody of 7 billion people are fluent in at least one, their own language. Knowledge of a language not at all means one can speak it or understand it spoken.

Solid and useful acquaintance with the Biblical languages must be obtained through long and arduous years of study into the hidden and silent essentials of these languages while speaking them or any one of them, remains ever so impossible.

Therefore, IMHO, Etymology, the study of the history and origin of words at the hand of incidence and change in form and meaning with time, is the single most important, most indispensable, but currently most neglected and disregarded, elemental aspect needed in real knowledge of New Testament Greek for a better understanding of Scripture and the Gospel of Scripture. Real science lacks pitiably in modern Biblical hermeneutic and exegesis, preaching and writing.
fwiw i find very few ppl fluent in their own language, english speakers seem to be particularly ignorant and suggestible to ersatz definitions, and etc? "Harpazo" getting changed to "rapture" despite the obvious and overwhelming evidence, etc?

"Solid and useful acquaintance with the Biblical languages must be obtained through long and arduous years of study into the hidden and silent essentials of these languages while speaking them or any one of them, remains ever so impossible."
no offense but this is horseshit, the original term is accessible to any of us via a lexicon, and a six year old could get a decent grasp of any ancient term in about five minutes bro, except for the ones where no one knows, and then they could at least get humanity's most knowledgeable guess?

i know neither Hebrew nor Aramaic Greek, but i have studied enough, 20 minutes or so, to know that Hebrew speakers reasoned quite diff from me, who tends to think like a Greek, an idiot logician iow

ill continue if you like, but srsly i am not interested if you arent

Last edited:

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
EXACTLY! Especially if it is a or all 20th century Reformed Faith Protestants that must be <cured> with <reading the Bible> the devil's way.

Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn 2 mins ·
How would one get the other to read the Bible the devil's way? By the one translating the Bible for the other the devil's way.
"exactly, must be" GE what is "satan's dialectic" iyo?
What is the fruit of the tree of knowledge?

and where did that part two in your post come from, hmm, gotta agree there
iow dont let others xlate the Bible for you imo

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
no offense but this is horseshit, the original term is accessible to any of us via a lexicon, and a six year old could get a decent grasp of any ancient term in about five minutes bro, except for the ones where no one knows, and then they could at least get humanity's most knowledgeable guess?

See what I meant when I posted Christiaan Gerhardus Ebersöhn 2 mins ·
How would one get the other to read the Bible the devil's way? By the one translating the Bible for the other the devil's way. Now the same for your hs lexicons! IT machines now a days in which you do not find the etymology of words, only and exclusively contemporary uses and abuses without distinction.

It took me about 15 years bro, to turn books' pages to ACTUAL OCCURRENCE of just one or perhaps a dozen NT Greek words. And this example is for your precious information: Your favourite and virtually only, dominating Greek 'lexicon' today, Youngs, in the early years before computers and internet, never disagreed with what I have discovered, except that Youngs at that time only gave a few of actual incidences of these words and did not have them in actual context. But since and up until this 21st century, Youngs only functions to the satisfaction of market demands like YOURS, HERE, <<the original term is accessible to any of us via a lexicon, and a six year old could get a decent grasp of any ancient term in about five minutes bro, except for the ones where no one knows, and then they could at least get humanity's most knowledgeable guess>>.

That, is not 'science' or 'scientific'. That, by your definition, is <hs>.

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa

I believe you sincerely,
i know neither Hebrew nor Aramaic Greek, but i have studied enough, 20 minutes or so, to know that Hebrew speakers reasoned quite diff from me, who tends to think like a Greek, an idiot logician iow

I therefore sincerely question your qualification to your authoritative conclusion,
the original language does not contain "in the flesh" there, as can easily be seen?
I also have serious concerns regarding your eyesight.

ReChoired

Nov 26, 2019
Region
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
i take it you are a papist, ...
Asked and answered:
Simple. I cite them as historical witnesses (not as authority) to extant texts which agree with the KJB text type (TR, etc) that they were citing from in their own day and area, in their various languages, Latin, Greek, Hebrew, Syriac, etc. It's quite simple really. They (ECF [easily confused fellows]) are useful in their citation of texts to a certain extent, as they prove that such texts as agree with the KJB text type were in existence then in their day, and existed from earliest times unto the present, even though all the mss didn't survive. They are additional weight along with the lectionaries, hymn books, psalteries, poetry, letters, etc that others wrote, all citing scripture. It would be like referring to a witness of a birthday card today that cited the KJB, and 50 years from now, I can show that the KJB text type was in existence through it, and other witnesses that all agree, along with the mss evidence still extant.

Reactions: bbyrd009

GerhardEbersoehn

Jan 14, 2014
Johannesburg
www.biblestudents.co.za
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
A Cross-over:

ECF:

-------------------
Additionally:

Ambrose:

Augustine:

Finally -

Among the foreign language Bibles that contain Matthew 17:21 are the Spanish Sagradas Escrituras 1569, Cipriano de Valera 1602, the Reina Valera 1960-1995, the French Martin 1744, the French Ostervald 1996 and the French Louis Segond 2007, Luther’s German Bible 1545 and the German Schlachter Bible 2000 - “ Aber diese Art fährt nicht aus außer durch Gebet und Fasten.”, the Italian Diodati 1649, La Nuova Diodati 1991 and the Nuova Riveduta 2006, the Dutch Staten Vertaling, the Portuguese Almeida Atualizada 2009, the Hungarian Karoli Bible, the Russian Synodal Bible, the Romanian Cornilescu Bible and the Romanian Fidela 2014, the Czeck BKR, the Tagalog Ang Salita ng Diyos 1998, and the Polish Updated Gdansk Bible 2013. ..." - https://brandplucked.webs.com/matthew1721.htm

Well done. Very informative and comprehensive. I if I am the only or not, thank you, Rechoired whoever.

Reactions: ReChoired