Are Pastors Teaching a Watered-Down Gospel?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The biggest problem with churches in the US is that the focus is on numbers (i.e., how many folks can we get in the seats) vice focusing on Christ and the Gospel. A couple of months ago, I read Francis Chan's Letters To The Church, and it was quite eye-opening. I felt like he was describing my former church to a tee.

My former church is the biggest one in my county. There is a "main campus" and 6 smaller "campuses" in various parts of the county. The "campuses" meet at junior high or high schools except for the "main campus", which got a building 2 years ago. The pastor at the main campus in the sermon right before the new building opened compared the opening of the new building to him being like Moses leading people to the promised land. I was so offended by that sermon that I almost left for good at that point. This new building is what caused my former church to shift focus on numbers and money. The pressure is on for the other "campuses" to find buildings as well, and the elders won't do it unless they have X amount of people attending on a regular basis. Their cure for more numbers? Let's get rid of the cross so as not to offend newcomers. Let's jazz up the worship band. Prayer requests are responded to with scripted answers by email or text, and they are now phasing out prayer in favor of small groups, with the mentality being why have prayer when we can plug people into small groups? Let me give an example - there is a lady at my former church who is dealing with stage 3 cancer. She put in a prayer request for healing and instead of being prayed for, was given the option of joining a small group instead!

We finally left that church about a month ago, and are now attending a church that is very Christ-centered. It's like a breath of fresh air after seeing how my former church has changed in the last couple of years.
I enjoy lively and enthusiastic worship but a couple of years ago I went with a friend to a different church but was not thrilled by the jazzed up worship band, the bright flashing lights and the fact that the auditorium was in darkness with only the stage lit up. A lot of the time it was just the band singing like in a gig. It was what I would call rock concert type of worship. It was packed but I didn't get sense of awe or reverence for God.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a good point - I honestly hadn't thought of that. I should have looked at the dissension among Christians to realize that there would be no way to really fix it. I had just had such a hard time that I would never want anyone to go through what I did. We were first generational Christians and I had zero discernment. I was a sitting duck for every evangelist on TV and radio. I don't know why God allowed me to go through it. It took a lot of wrong roads before I finally burned everything but the bible in the wood stove.
My advice for what it's worth is to never stop working with God for it is still day. Night may be coming, but it has not arrived yet, at least not to you. Hold onto that Bible that you did not burn.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I enjoy lively and enthusiastic worship but a couple of years ago I went with a friend to a different church but was not thrilled by the jazzed up worship band, the bright flashing lights and the fact that the auditorium was in darkness with only the stage lit up. A lot of the time it was just the band singing like in a gig. It was what I would call rock concert type of worship. It was packed but I didn't get sense of awe or reverence for God.
While I like the overhead screen displays of the words to songs and verses from scriptures, but I rarely return a place that regularly turns down the lights so that I cannot read things from my paper Bible. I guess I am old-fashioned that way.

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

In and of itself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a jazzed up, or lively, worship band. Not at all. The problem is when it's used for the primary purpose of attracting more people. As Frances Chan stated in Letters to The Church, when you start putting focus into things that attract more people and less on Christ, your focus will be keeping those people entertained and not enlightened (just paraphrasing - that's not Mr. Chan's exact wording).

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That's telling. Our pastor tried to change the worship in our church and brought in a band that was more like a rock band - the congregation did not accept it and we went back to singing the old hymns. I get a feeling of holiness when we sing the old-time hymns and sometimes they touch my heart so much that it brings tears to my eyes. Our church is very old with a massive organ loft, and stunning stained-glass windows depicting Christ. I have never felt the Lord's presence so much as in our church. I feel a sense of reverence that I haven't felt in other churches.

Reactions: Pearl

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My advice for what it's worth is to never stop working with God for it is still day. Night may be coming, but it has not arrived yet, at least not to you. Hold onto that Bible that you did not burn.

Your post made me smile. I wish there was some way to reach new believers so that they don't fall for the false preachers. I evangelize so I can look for tracts that lead people away from the false preachers. Those who have been generation Christians may not realize how much those false teachers mislead those without discernment - baby Christians.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Your post made me smile. I wish there was some way to reach new believers so that they don't fall for the false preachers. I evangelize so I can look for tracts that lead people away from the false preachers. Those who have been generation Christians may not realize how much those false teachers mislead those without discernment - baby Christians.
Just always remember that neither your nor I can save anyone. Only God gives the increase [I Cor 3:6-7]. If someone is really hungry and thirsty God will fill them, whether He uses you or me to accomplish it is up to Him... He is Director as well as the Increaser:

"Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled." Matt 5:6

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In and of itself, there's absolutely nothing wrong with having a jazzed up, or lively, worship band. Not at all. The problem is when it's used for the primary purpose of attracting more people. As Frances Chan stated in Letters to The Church, when you start putting focus into things that attract more people and less on Christ, your focus will be keeping those people entertained and not enlightened (just paraphrasing - that's not Mr. Chan's exact wording).

That's good insight. We've been in churches where the focus was on "entertainment" and you felt that something was lacking. I like the old hymns because there seems to be a reverence for God. Maybe the "newer" artists could draw young people to Christ through music, which would be good, but if church is reduced to "entertainment" then the young won't have deep roots in the faith.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Many old sermons are published, and pretty boring in think.
@Soverign Grace
This is a good point to expand upon.

I would even go so far as to say, that during most of the history of the church the leaders/preachers/pastors have not done the best of jobs. I mean, something like "walking in the spirit" ought to wow people in the pews, and yet it has just been allowed to become cliche. How is that even possible? A new Christian learning of such a thing should be thinking they're going to "slip the surly bonds of earth and touch the face of God." But, no, it comes across as a lullaby on how to apply good Christian behavior to life in the world. And it's been going on since the beginning.

Unfortunately, we now are the children of milk toast Christianity and worldly values creeping into the church. That which began as a mere lump has become a falling away.

Last edited:

Preacher4Truth

Feb 15, 2019
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After thinking this through, it's apparent there is no such thing as a "watered down" "Gospel." All the facets of the Gospel are cohesive, so either the Gospel being preached is in fact the Gospel, or it isn't.

Note Galatians 1:6-7.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
We all agree that things are a mess and I'm wondering what we should do about it or if we should allow God to speak to our pastors' hearts?
Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. This is the directive of the scriptures in the face of hypocrisy, greed, pride and self absorption by those who claim to speak as God's representatives.
I am responsible for what I embrace as is every other person. I will not rely on the slippery word of man so help me God.

My experience is that playing Church is a popular interest among the churched, pastors included. Cross that or call it out and you will see the beast behind the pleasantries.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Maybe the "newer" artists could draw young people to Christ through music, which would be good, but if church is reduced to "entertainment" then the young won't have deep roots in the faith.

This was a particular problem at my former church. Not so much with the congregation itself, but more in the youth program. The youth program worship music was very much a rock concert style, which like I said before, not a problem in itself. But that youth pastor was really about numbers and wanted the largest church youth program in the county. So the focus was being on cool and hip. The proof in the pudding was that my daughter would bring her Bible to youth and be mocked by the other kids. She took notes religiously (pun is unintentional) during the youth sermon and was mocked for it. Her youth leader not only didn't do anything about it, but she also participated in mocking my daughter for bringing her Bible and my daughter was called a nerd and worse. When we brought this to the attention of the youth pastor, he blew it off, saying that's just how teens are. Needless to say, my daughter ended up leaving youth, but thankfully, did not lose her faith. To this day, as a young lady in her early 20's, she does her daily Bible study before she goes to work.

Again, when the focus is on being cool and hip, it often comes at the expense of faith. Fortunately, we have since found a church that balances both.

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After thinking this through, it's apparent there is no such thing as a "watered down" "Gospel." All the facets of the Gospel are cohesive, so either the Gospel being preached is in fact the Gospel, or it isn't.

Note Galatians 1:6-7.

I'm unsure what you mean?

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. This is the directive of the scriptures in the face of hypocrisy, greed, pride and self absorption by those who claim to speak as God's representatives.
I am responsible for what I embrace as is every other person. I will not rely on the slippery word of man so help me God.

My experience is that playing Church is a popular interest among the churched, pastors included. Cross that or call it out and you will see the beast behind the pleasantries.

I've seen "church playing" in a number of churches.

When one of my children went off to college I was afraid and searched for campus safety material. I came upon a site started by a family whose daughter had been raped and murdered on campus. I contacted them and spoke with the brother of the slain woman who ran the organization. He shared with me how colleges routinely hide the crime on campus so as not to scare away parents and students - all for the almighty buck. But what he said next will stay with me forever:

I was shocked that colleges would put students at risk by hiding crime statistics and I said: "I guess you don't have this problem with Christian colleges." He said: "Actually they're worse since the refuse to admit there's a problem."

As the years went by some of the worst people I've encountered were other Christians who disarmed me because I believed they would be trustworthy. They weren't. I've also encountered good Christians but I saw that there are Christians who play at church.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen "church playing" in a number of churches.

When one of my children went off to college I was afraid and searched for campus safety material. I came upon a site started by a family whose daughter had been raped and murdered on campus. I contacted them and spoke with the brother of the slain woman who ran the organization. He shared with me how colleges routinely hide the crime on campus so as not to scare away parents and students - all for the almighty buck. But what he said next will stay with me forever:

I was shocked that colleges would put students at risk by hiding crime statistics and I said: "I guess you don't have this problem with Christian colleges." He said: "Actually they're worse since the refuse to admit there's a problem."

As the years went by some of the worst people I've encountered were other Christians who disarmed me because I believed they would be trustworthy. They weren't. I've also encountered good Christians but I saw that there are Christians who play at church.
Playing into the hands of the enemy.

Reactions: Soverign Grace

Soverign Grace

Sep 15, 2018
Palmyra
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This was a particular problem at my former church. Not so much with the congregation itself, but more in the youth program. The youth program worship music was very much a rock concert style, which like I said before, not a problem in itself. But that youth pastor was really about numbers and wanted the largest church youth program in the county. So the focus was being on cool and hip. The proof in the pudding was that my daughter would bring her Bible to youth and be mocked by the other kids. She took notes religiously (pun is unintentional) during the youth sermon and was mocked for it. Her youth leader not only didn't do anything about it, but she also participated in mocking my daughter for bringing her Bible and my daughter was called a nerd and worse. When we brought this to the attention of the youth pastor, he blew it off, saying that's just how teens are. Needless to say, my daughter ended up leaving youth, but thankfully, did not lose her faith. To this day, as a young lady in her early 20's, she does her daily Bible study before she goes to work.

Again, when the focus is on being cool and hip, it often comes at the expense of faith. Fortunately, we have since found a church that balances both.

You can see some books for sale: "How to grow your church" and other books for sale on how to bring more people in. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when you start compromising with the world and neglect why you're in church in the first place then they've lost their way.

We went to a few "hip" churches. I've found them to be very anti-Christian. My daughter had brought her friend with us to church and they sat at a different table than us for bible study. One of the family members that owned the church approached them and told them to move to another table because this table was where the XXX sat. Not being a shrinking violet my daughter told her that there were plenty of other empty tables for them to sit at. The "Christian" blew up at my daughter and told her to get up and move and bring your fat little friend with you. Needless to say, our daughter and her friend never wanted to return. I'm so sad that young children were exposed to that - our daughter's friend didn't come from a Christian home and that wicked woman may have turned her off forever from becoming a Christian - I know that God has the ultimate say, but the so-called "Christians" who ran that church were despicable.

They later got caught in a huge scandal so I saw that judgment really does begin with the house of God. I just wish I saw it more often.

MetalMike

May 21, 2019
Seattle Area
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You can see some books for sale: "How to grow your church" and other books for sale on how to bring more people in. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but when you start compromising with the world and neglect why you're in church in the first place then they've lost their way.

When churches focus on growth, the compromises start creeping in. My first church wanted to be a Joel Osteen-style megachurch. My 2nd church was on a much smaller scale (and so Christ-centered), but that church closed after the pastor and his family moved to Florida. My 3rd church started out with good intentions - their motto used to be "The church for people who don't like organized religion", but when they started growing, the focus was on growth, and they became the church that their motto didn't want to be.

And we left that 3rd church about 2 months ago. We've been attending an independent, Christ-centered church that has grown organically vice seeking growth. We are trying another church this Sunday that is similar to the one we've been trying out. My wife knows the father of the pastor, and she wants to give that church a chance before we settle on our new church home. We're trying not to church-hop, but we want to make sure we find one that has what we're looking for. We're not seeking a perfect church since they don't exist, but we're looking for something way more Christ-centered than our previous church and isn't trying to be a megachurch.

Last edited:

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
entertainment is passed off as worship with few parishioners able to distinguish the difference.