Are Some Unable To Be Renewed To Repentance?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Ernest T. Bass

Jan 14, 2014
out in the woods
"For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, and then have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame" (Hebrews 6:4-6).

I want to give my take on this Scripture to make a bit clearer exactly who this Scripture refers to.

Right at the outset I want to say that it does not refer to genuine believers who fall into sin while yet retaining their general faith in Christ. I know they need to repent, and the opportunity for repentance is always open to them without restriction of any kind. We need to not only confess our sins but to keep our bodies under subjection by doing what we can to forsake any sinful habit patterns we might have. We need the strength of the Holy Spirit to accomplish it in most cases. That is a given.

The Scripture also doesn't apply to atheists, agnostics and cult members who have never known the truth of the gospel, have never received Christ or partaken of the Holy Spirit. The door to repentance is always open to them.

But there is a class of people where the Scripture does apply and that the door to repentance is firmly closed to them. These are the ones who previously received Christ, got filled with the Holy Spirit, and enjoyed the Christian life for a period of time. Then, knowing full well what they were doing, they decided, or some reason, to reject Christ totally and go back to a sinful, atheistic world-view. According to the Scripture I have quoted, there is no way they can be restored to repentance and faith in Christ again. The door is firmly closed against them. Now some may not be able to accept that because the God they believe in has to accept everyone who desires repentance back into the fold, even though the Scripture says differently.

We see the example of Esau, when he lost his birthright and blessing, sought it earnestly with tears, but to no avail. Because he sold his birthright to Jacob, he had lost it forever. He had it and rejected it. This is the same as a person who receives Christ, and then afterward totally rejects Him and declares himself as an atheist. He fits right into the person described in the Scripture as totally unable to be restored to repentance because he has trodden the blood of Christ underfoot and crucified Christ afresh.

Now, this is the reason why some atheists on Christianforums.com and possibly on this forum, who were once born-again Christians, but for some reason, have rejected Christ and departed the faith altogether and declared that they are atheists, in spite of every attempts to persuade them to see reason and re-affirm faith in Christ, they remain totally adamant in their atheism, to the point of viciously attacking those believers who try to help them see and understand the gospel.

The fact is, they fully understand the gospel, they have already experienced what it is to be a born-again believer filled with the Holy Spirit, but with that full knowledge, they have rejected Christ, trodden His blood underfoot and crucified Him afresh, and so there is no way they can repent; and so they can do no other but argue vehemently against any attempt to persuade them back to faith in Christ.

Even if they do decide to attempt to come back to Christ, and seek Him with remorse and many tears, their hearts cannot be changed, because the door to repentance is firmly closed against them. This is because a person can repent only through the work of the Holy Spirit, and if the Holy Spirit doesn't do it, there is no way they can repent. So although they might desire to undo their tragic rejection of Christ, they can only wait in fear for the judgement time where they will have to face the Lord and give an account for their rejection.

An example of one such atheist is the one who said in a post that they were once a born-again Christian, filled with the Holy Spirit, but because of an incident in their church, they decided to abandon the faith and become an atheist. Another person, who happened to be the Principal of a school I taught at, told me that he was a Spirit-filled Christian once, but because of all the "hypocrites" in the church, he decided to leave it and become and atheist. He told me that he wanted to go to hell, because his wife was also atheist and he wanted to go to where she is going so he wouldn't be separated from her. How very, very sad for him and her! So, according to the Hebrews 6 Scripture, there is little possibility that they will ever be restored to repentance.

Revelation 2:4-5 "Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent."

The church at Ephesus had fallen and commanded to repent or their candlestick (church Revelation 1:20) would be removed. Obviously Christ would not command them to repent if repentance were impossible. In the context of Hebrews 6:4-6 speaks of those who were once saved but have fallen away and become lost (apostates). They have fallen into a state where they were continuously (present tense verbs) crucifying Christ and putting Him to shame. Christ is the reason one repents but if one continues crucifying and putting to shame the reason to repent then repentance will be impossible. But if one quits crucifying Christ and quits putting Him to shame he can come to repent, but it is impossible for those to repent who fall into unbelief and remain in that state. The inability, impossibility to repent is due to a willful choice to reject Christ and not a necessary condition to be in for one can chose to quit rejecting Christ and then be able to come to repentance.

Reactions: friend of

CharismaticLady

Jun 13, 2019
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the unpardonable sin being committed today?

If the unpardonable sin was to tell the people that Jesus performed His miracles by the power of demons, is anyone doing that?

Much love!

I've heard many Cessationists do that today. Even to my face! I was taught as a child that speaking in tongues was of devil. But I don't believe Cessationists are committing the actual unpardonable sin when they do that; at least, I hope not!

Reactions: marks

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1 Corinthians 9:24-27
24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others,
I myself should be a castaway.

The castaways are the disqualified from being a part of the first fruits of the resurrection for attending the Marriage Supper of the Lamb in Heaven; but they are still saved just as the prodigal son is still son even though he had given up his inheritance for wild living for which he can never get that back.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the Bible is clear that this does not happen, that no born again child of God becomes athiest, and dies again.

Someone who professes Christianity, but who later departs from the faith, never really had it to begin with.

Much love!
Exactly, this is a letter to Jews whom had not entered into Christ, they were still abiding in Old Testament doctrines. They had the form of but not the reality.

Reactions: marks

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the unpardonable sin being committed today?

If the unpardonable sin was to tell the people that Jesus performed His miracles by the power of demons, is anyone doing that?

Much love!

I believe the only sin that the Holy Spirit will convict is the sin of not believing in Him.

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

So that is what I believe is the real unforgivable sin as those Jews were resisting to believe in Jesus Christ in spite of the miracles done by the Spirit of God where the unbelieving Jews were slandering Jesus, hoping to scatter any who would believe in Jesus and to follow Him.

Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: 26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? 27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. 29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. 30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. 31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

By not believing in Jesus, they speak against the witness of the Holy Ghost and thereby commit the unforgivable sin for why that sin will be convicted by the Holy Ghost for why they will have an eternal separation from God and all that is good; and cast into the lake of fire.

As it is, I see no other judgment regarding any other sin against the Holy Ghost. Now, if a sinner believes in Jesus Christ before he or she dies, then the Holy Spirit cannot convict them of that sin because they have received Him as promised for all those that believe in Jesus.

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Hebrews is addressing Jews, this is why it’s labeled Hebrews. The audience isn’t atheist, they look to God for salvation but don’t understand they can only come to God through Christ. This is why in the beginning of the chapter Paul says leaving the doctrines of Christ. This would never be suggested to a Christian. He is speaking to Jews that have an Old Testament understanding of Christ. Laying on of hands; laying hands on their sacrifices.. washings; all the wash pots by the doors and washings before meals.. < baptisms

These are how Old Testament looks for Christ.>>>>

I believe these were believing Jews converted to Christ Jesus; otherwise, I doubt they can get past the opener.

Hebrews 1:1God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high: 4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? 6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

Hebrews 6th chapter speaks of what those readers have gone through in laying that foundation...that they would not need to do again because that would put Christ to shame if there has to be another reason to crucify Him again as if the first time was not good enough.

Hebrews 10th chapter warns of treating communion as if it was a sacrifice bear repeating to receive again, putting the Son's blood on par with the blood of goats and bulls.

So these Hebrews were saved believers that Paul was writing to; not unbelieving Jews seeking and trying to figure things out.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe these were believing Jews converted to Christ Jesus; otherwise, I doubt they can get past the opener.

Hebrews 1:1God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets, 2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds; 3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high: 4 Being made so much better than the angels, as he hath by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they. 5 For unto which of the angels said he at any time, Thou art my Son, this day have I begotten thee? And again, I will be to him a Father, and he shall be to me a Son? 6 And again, when he bringeth in the firstbegotten into the world, he saith, And let all the angels of God worship him.

Hebrews 6th chapter speaks of what those readers have gone through in laying that foundation...that they would not need to do again because that would put Christ to shame if there has to be another reason to crucify Him again as if the first time was not good enough.

Hebrews 10th chapter warns of treating communion as if it was a sacrifice bear repeating to receive again, putting the Son's blood on par with the blood of goats and bulls.

So these Hebrews were saved believers that Paul was writing to; not unbelieving Jews seeking and trying to figure things out.
Hebrews 6:1-3 KJV
[1] Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God, [2] Of the doctrine of baptisms, and of laying on of hands, and of resurrection of the dead, and of eternal judgment. [3] And this will we do, if God permit.

This word leaving here means to abandon.

There Hebrews deeply rooted in Judaism, the word of God would never tell Christians to leave the doctrine of Christ. This is Old Testament doctrines that Paul is referring too.
Tecarta Bible

Last edited:
Reactions: friend of

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe the only sin that the Holy Spirit will convict is the sin of not believing in Him.

John 16:8 And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: 9 Of sin, because they believe not on me; 10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; 11 Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

It may be that the sin named here is disbelief, or it may be saying that the Holy Spirit will reprove the world of sin because they don't believe in Jesus, that is, if they believed in Jesus, the Holy Spirit would not be reproving them of sin.

Much love!

Reactions: Enow

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand: 26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand? 27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges. 28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you. 29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house. 30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad. 31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. 32 And whosoever speaketh a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but whosoever speaketh against the Holy Ghost, it shall not be forgiven him, neither in this world, neither in the world to come.

Mark 3:22
28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.
30 Because they said, He hath an unclean spirit.

I've heard a number of theological definitions of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, mostly sounding like what you've written. However, in the text itself I find the meaning, as they are guilty of calling the Holy Spirit an unclean spirit, thus vilifying the Holy Spirit, blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Much love!

Reactions: Waiting on him

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
28 Verily I say unto you, All sins shall be forgiven unto the sons of men, and blasphemies wherewith soever they shall blaspheme:
29 But he that shall blaspheme against the Holy Ghost hath never forgiveness, but is in danger of eternal damnation.

I've heard a number of theological definitions of blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, mostly sounding like what you've written. However, in the text itself I find the meaning, as they are guilty of calling the Holy Spirit an unclean spirit, thus vilifying the Holy Spirit, blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Much love!
This in my opinion could also be understood in the reverse, accrediting to the Holy Spirit things that are not from Him.

I believe it’s very important that people be prepared to give an answer for things they do claiming it to be the Holy Spirit, maybe be certain their not just on an emotional field trip.

Last edited:

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This in my opinion could also be understood in the reverse, accrediting to the Holy Spirit things that are not from Him.

I believe it’s very important that people be prepared to give an answer for things they do claiming it to be the Holy Spirit, maybe be certain their not just on an emotional field trip.
I think the idea of blasphemy is to insult or vilify, that is, account the Holy Spirit to be unclean or evil.

Much love!

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Much love!

Thank you for sharing. I am applying your reference here in spite of the other words spoken in Matthew...

It does still bear the question when the vilifying statement is said of "He", as in Jesus, for how He was casting out devils. So indirectly vilifying the Holy Ghost? Can anyone indirectly vilify someone thru another? If someone calls someone a S.O.B. are they really vilifying the mother or the person?

If these unbelieving Jews saw the miracles that Jesus was performing and said He did it by the power of a demon, I still believe the only sin that counts and matters is the sin of unbelief. That is the only sin the Holy Spirit will convict of and that is His job to do.

Let's put it in this wise. If Jesus saved someone, and they have the Holy Ghost in them, could they commit the unforgivable sin as you defined it? Then His word of losing nothing of all the Father has given Him is voided.

John 6:39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

That means unbelievers, even as Satanists that blaspheme the Holy Spirit, if they repent and come to Jesus to believe in Him to be saved, they are forgiven, otherwise, Jesus just lost someone He had saved.

One Christian sister in a Christian forum came from that background and was worried that she was not saved because she had blasphemied the Holy Spirit in her former life as a Satanist. So would the Father bother to draw her unto the Son ( John 6:44 ) to believe in the Son ( Matthew 11:25-27 ) to be saved if she was going to be eternally damned anyway? How does that look to the power of God in salvation for the rest of eternity? A blot in His glory as Savior. Why bother drawing her unto the Son to believe in Him to be saved when she had supposedly blasphemed the Holy Ghost?

But it is a hard saying of Jesus. Could it be that the sister will be left behind and damned as that vessel unto dishonor in His House no matter what? Is that how the two verses align? Because being a vessel unto dishonor in His House is an eternal damnation. And yet such a truth would lead such a person to live in sin since it does not matter because she or he will be left behind to be damned forever as a vessel unto dishonor in His House? These believers have just been given the valid reason not to run that race?

How you apply it then cannot be true.

I have to admit, I may have to receive more edification and confirmation in the truth in His words from Him to come to the truth of the matter, but I cannot see how you apply it can be true.

There are a lot of Christians thinking seducing spirits, and the spirits of the antichrist is the Holy Ghost, and so is that an unforgivable sin too? Would that not be the same as calling evil, good?

And yet we are called to test the spirits to know the real indwelling Holy Spirit from the spirit of the antichrist in the world. A lot of believers like to silence those who expose the phenomenon of "slain in the spirit" and "holy laughter movement" as not the Holy Spirit to accuse they are blaspheming the Holy Spirit, and so I do not believe that is the sin Jesus is talking about, otherwise, they are blaspheme the Holy Spirit by calling the spirit of antichrist, "the Holy Spirit".

2 Thessalonians 3:1-7, & 2 Thessalonians 3:14-15 address those whom have gone astray as in slain in the spirit and the holy laughter movement where they are "disorderly" in, but although wicked and unreasonable men that have not faith, that walk not after the tradition taught of us, we see only commanded to withdraw from them but not treating them as the enemy, but admonishing them as brothers still; hence still saved.

Maybe eternally damnation for the believers is to be that vessel unto dishonor in His House, but again, no forgiveness? How can unforgiven sin have any presence with God for eternity? How can they approach Him, let alone God the Father?

I believe to have an adequate reading of Mark, it should be compared with Matthew's and Luke's below.

Luke 12:8 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: 9 But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God. 10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

No reference to the casting out demon incident, and yet in context, it is applied as Matthew's reference was; about confessing Him before men and denying Him before men as that denying leads into blaspheme against the Holy Ghost. Hmm... in light of these cross references, I believe the sin of unbelief is the sin that the Holy Spirit will convict of as blaspheme against the Holy Ghost.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thank you for sharing. I am applying your reference here in spite of the other words spoken in Matthew...

It does still bear the question when the vilifying statement is said of "He", as in Jesus, for how He was casting out devils. So indirectly vilifying the Holy Ghost? Can anyone indirectly vilify someone thru another? If someone calls someone a S.O.B. are they really vilifying the mother or the person?

If these unbelieving Jews saw the miracles that Jesus was performing and said He did it by the power of a demon, I still believe the only sin that counts and matters is the sin of unbelief. That is the only sin the Holy Spirit will convict of and that is His job to do.

Let's put it in this wise. If Jesus saved someone, and they have the Holy Ghost in them, could they commit the unforgivable sin as you defined it? Then His word of losing nothing of all the Father has given Him is voided.

Again . . .

It's not me saying it, it's me pointing to the Bible saying it.

Jesus does a miracle by the power to the Holy Spirit. Onlookers claim, The power you did that by was from an evil spirit. In doing this, they are saying that the Holy Spirit is an evil spirit, and that is the blasphemy.

To me this is a simple matter if we will stay with the clarity of what we read. When the Bible tells us the reason for something, shouldn't we just accept that this is what it is?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No reference to the casting out demon incident, and yet in context, it is applied as Matthew's reference was; about confessing Him before men and denying Him before men as that denying leads into blaspheme against the Holy Ghost. Hmm... in light of these cross references, I believe the sin of unbelief is the sin that the Holy Spirit will convict of as blaspheme against the Holy Ghost.
We can associate these things, and produce our own definition, however, when, in 3 or 4 places something is named, when one of those provides greater illumination, I think we should give full weight to that.

Much love!

Enow

Feb 5, 2020
Hermitage
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again . . .

It's not me saying it, it's me pointing to the Bible saying it.

But that is not the only place He says it. Luke's account is not linked to that incident. So what is the unforgivable sin in Luke's account? What else did Jesus say in Matthew's account for how to apply it that would tie in with Luke's account & Mark's account?

Jesus does a miracle by the power to the Holy Spirit. Onlookers claim, The power you did that by was from an evil spirit. In doing this, they are saying that the Holy Spirit is an evil spirit, and that is the blasphemy.

If that is the unforgivable sin where there is no forgiveness, then is there another way to blaspheme against the Holy Ghost in Luke's account?

Luke 12:8 Also I say unto you, Whosoever shall confess me before men, him shall the Son of man also confess before the angels of God: 9 But he that denieth me before men shall be denied before the angels of God. 10 And whosoever shall speak a word against the Son of man, it shall be forgiven him: but unto him that blasphemeth against the Holy Ghost it shall not be forgiven.

And yet that verse followed the verse in denying Jesus before men which was what the Pharisees were doing to Jesus by saying that.

To me this is a simple matter if we will stay with the clarity of what we read. When the Bible tells us the reason for something, shouldn't we just accept that this is what it is?

But if the conclusion you draw from one scripture runs contrary to other truths in scripture then you have to wonder, because that is how false teachings takes off without having what you deem as the truth is not aligning with the rest of scripture since no lie can be of the truth.

Like using Mark 16:16 for how a believer is saved with water baptism which is false because it is speaking of the baptism with the Holy Ghost at their salvation since how they are condemned is by not believing in Him, but how can you prove that? By going to other scripture.

I agree that by itself, one can see your conclusion, but does it line up with the other truths in scripture? I'd say no.

As it is, what would you say to a Christian sister that had blasphemed the Holy Ghost as a Satanist in her former life of sin? No forgiveness? She is not really saved? She is a goner?

Why would God the Father bother saving her then? There would be no point to draw her to believe in Jesus Christ if there is no forgiveness of sin, and yet by believing in Him is how any sinner receives the remission of sins and receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

So yeah.. you can point out that verse about what they had said, but what they had said was their unbelief by denying Him before men in that way.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But that is not the only place He says it. Luke's account is not linked to that incident. So what is the unforgivable sin in Luke's account? What else did Jesus say in Matthew's account for how to apply it that would tie in with Luke's account & Mark's account?
Yes, but what I'm saying is that on the one hand, we can derive a meaning from what we gather throughout the Word, and I'm not saying that's wrong to do, there are times we should, but there is also a particular meaning that is assigned in one place, which I think should take precedence over a derived meaning.

So when we can reach various understandings of what the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit "must be", we have a place that tells us what it is.

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But if the conclusion you draw from one scripture runs contrary to other truths in scripture then you have to wonder,
It's not contrary at all.

Blasphemy, the word itself, is to vilify or insult. And that's what you do when you say the Holy Spirit is an unclean spirit.

Now, I realize there is an entirely different thought process about this.

I think the thinking goes . . .

There is an unforgivable sin that Jesus calls "blasphemy of the Holy Spirit".
The only sin that can keep you from salvation is an unforgivable sin.
What keeps us from salvation is unbelief.
Since the only sin that can keep you from salvation is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, and since unbelief is what keeps you from salvation, then unbelief is blasphemy of the Holy Spirit.

My thinking is different.

Forgiveness of sins is not enough for us to be saved. We would just be the forgiven dead. Unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God.

All sins will be forgiven men. God was in Christ, reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses against them. Even when we were enemies God reconciled us to Himself.

God put all our sin, all the sin of the world, onto Jesus, Who carried it all away, and now all our sins are gone. Those who are unregenerate will only go on to churn out more and more sin, and continue in living death. But those who are born again now have new life in unity with God.

Forgiveness of sins opens the door, but 'born of God' is new life, life with Him. But blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, for those Pharisees to stand there and tell those to whom these miracles are given that they might believe, to tell them that Jesus was doing that by the power of demons, unforgivable! Or at the least, in danger of that.

Much love!