Are the Ecumenical Councils valid?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
May I ask you to reconsider? There are some times it's best not to answer.

Matthew 27:12 And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.

If you think you let him get away with it for too long, why allow him to continue to entice you into it?

There are also people who wanted attention and didn't get when they behaved well. Then they learned they could get attention if they misbehaved. You can observe it sometimes in stores, in family gatherings and so on. A child says something politely, and his parents ignore him. He may say it again and tug at them -- only to be pushed away. He can't get their attention by being good, so he descends into bad behavior. That gets their attention.

Some people never learn and go to their graves not knowing how to get attention the right way. They persist in behaving poorly and keep on thinking that's the only way to get attention. I do not know for sure; but when I see this sort of thing in someone, I suspect they had parents who ignored them when they were good. In an odd way, some even seem to enjoy it if you hurl insults back -- maybe it eases their conscience a little or at least they convince themselves it will.

You have complete power to stop it by refusing to be seduced into it again. Why allow others to manipulate you into nonsensical conversations if you want to have sensible ones?

Without my calling anyone a fool, Solomon talks about two different kinds of foolishness. It's easy to make a mistake at first; but if you picked the wrong path, you'll probably find out.

Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

It looks to me as if you tried the option two and it didn't work. Why not try option one?

If you think i am going to stand for you targeting GodsGrace with this nonsense, you have another thing coming. You want to match wit with me? Lets do it right now! Take your best shot!

Reactions: GodsGrace

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If you think i am going to stand for you targeting GodsGrace with this nonsense, you have another thing coming. You want to match wit with me? Lets do it right now! Take your best shot!
Your mane seems to be a little ruffled.

It's another "think" coming.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my gosh! Are you a betting man? What do you bet this is not going to go well for you. You need to rethink this.
How many scriptures do you think I can come up with that will show you wrong on this? I know, that you know the scriptures I will produce. Smarter than the average bear, you are. So why do this?
Ha, I already did. You are right. I did not want to rush into a conclusion. His reaction to my post told me what I needed to know. If God will not always strive with man, I don't think He expects me to. I put him on ignore. I don't take his comments about me personally. My feelings are not hurt. He seems to want to insult everyone -- and I just happened to be around. Why take it personally then? I am pretty hard to insult since such things are often silly. Even if someone tries to insult me, it remains foolishness to me -- nothing to bothered by. They damage themselves more than me.

How do we want to spend the rest of our lives? Do we want to allow others to throw us into anger or even mild annoyance? If I did that, I could be miserable the rest of life. I've had people try to insult me and I said, "Thank you for your opinion." I meant it too. They have the right to think whatever they want about me. But why allow it to spoil my day?

Some people have come and told me later, "You know I didn't really mean that, don't you?" I say yes. They were only trying to get my attention. You can be sure when a child screams at his mother, "I hate you," it's almost never true. I have a niece who flew into a rage one day and told me she hated me. I laughed at her, "I don't believe you. I think you love me." She started laughing too and 'fessed up. She didn't hate me. She was frustrated and thought she might be able to manipulate me.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ha, I already did. You are right. I did not want to rush into a conclusion. His reaction to my post told me what I needed to know. If God will not always strive with man, I don't think He expects me to. I put him on ignore. I don't take his comments about me personally. My feelings are not hurt. He seems to want to insult everyone -- and I just happened to be around. Why take it personally then? I am pretty hard to insult since such things are often silly. Even if someone tries to insult me, it remains foolishness to me -- nothing to bothered by. They damage themselves more than me.

How do we want to spend the rest of our lives? Do we want to allow others to throw us into anger or even mild annoyance? If I did that, I could be miserable the rest of life. I've had people try to insult me and I said, "Thank you for your opinion." I meant it too. They have the right to think whatever they want about me. But why allow it to spoil my day?

Some people have come and told me later, "You know I didn't really mean that, don't you?" I say yes. They were only trying to get my attention. You can be sure when a child screams at his mother, "I hate you," it's almost never true. I have a niece who flew into a rage one day and told me she hated me. I laughed at her, "I don't believe you. I think you love me." She started laughing too and 'fessed up. She didn't hate me. She was frustrated and thought she might be able to manipulate me.

That is not what this is about. Changing the subject is just deception. You want to test me on this topic? I will be glad to do that. What you were saying was just garbage. You have hurt your reputation and credibility with this, and I did not want that. So if you have a scripture that supports your view...lets see it.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is not what this is about. Changing the subject is just deception. You want to test me on this topic? I will be glad to do that. What you were saying was just garbage. You have hurt your reputation and credibility with this, and I did not want that. So if you have a scripture that supports your view...lets see it.
I do not know what I said to offend. I thought it was one thing, but I must have been wrong. Never mind my reputation or credibility. Please tell me exactly what you found offensive.

Going back and looking at it now, is it possible that you thought was addressing GodsGrace in post 194? I hope not. You objected to that post to Enoch and then again to post 199 when I was addressing GodsGrace. I hope we can work this out. I gave up on Enoch.

Last edited:

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I do not know what I said to offend. I thought it was one thing, but I must have been wrong. Never mind my reputation or credibility. Please tell me exactly what you found offensive.

Oh, my you have to be kidding! What I found offensive? How about those that were taking to you. I was trying to give you a hint by singing to you. I did not want this for you. I tried to warn you. Lets see, what did GodsGrace say to you?

1. This will turn into a deep debate.
2. If you start a thread on it, I'll join in.
3. I'm shocked at what you believe...I don't know anyone that agrees with you.
4. I have had personal experience with Muslims and they DO NOT want to integrate and live peacefully with us.
5. Your link does not post the Quran.
6. I'm currently in a debate with another member and cannot handle two due to time restraints.
7. Muslims hate Christians and have killed MILLIONS of them.
Perhaps you missed the news of the past few years.

Please tell me exactly what you found offensive. That is an absurd question. Can you take a hint? You want to talk up the Moslems and the Koran, there are plenty of men here that can set you straight. Sad for you that I am. And I know all about the Moslems, so don't try to educate me, been there did that. Seal Team 6 out of Dam Neck, Virginia.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, my you have to be kidding! What I found offensive? How about those that were taking to you. I was trying to give you a hint by singing to you. I did not want this for you. I tried to warn you. Lets see, what did GodsGrace say to you?
I didn't know what to make of those posts. They were not addressed to me and appeared cryptic. I didn't pay them much mind or try to figure out what you meant. I figure if people want me to know something, they'll let me know by addressing me.
1. This will turn into a deep debate.
2. If you start a thread on it, I'll join in.
3. I'm shocked at what you believe...I don't know anyone that agrees with you.
4. I have had personal experience with Muslims and they DO NOT want to integrate and live peacefully with us.
5. Your link does not post the Quran.
6. I'm currently in a debate with another member and cannot handle two due to time restraints.
7. Muslims hate Christians and have killed MILLIONS of them.
Perhaps you missed the news of the past few years.

Please tell me exactly what you found offensive. That is an absurd question. Can you take a hint? You want to talk up the Moslems and the Koran, there are plenty of men here that can set you straight. Sad for you that I am. And I know all about the Moslems, so don't try to educate me, been there did that. Seal Team 6 out of Dam Neck, Virginia.
I am not a mind reader as a rule. In my younger days, sometimes I could tell what people thinking -- not so much anymore. You did not object to my post which is number 183 until now. How could I know that's what you meant? Are you saying you think we can establish the kingdom with physical force? How long have people been trying that?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I didn't know what to make of those posts. They were not addressed to me and appeared cryptic. I didn't pay them much mind or try to figure out what you meant. I figure if people want me to know something, they'll let me know by addressing me.

I am not a mind reader as a rule. In my younger days, sometimes I could tell what people thinking -- not so much anymore. You did not object to my post which is number 183 until now. How could I know that's what you meant? Are you saying you think we can establish the kingdom with physical force? How long have people been trying that?

Again not the point. Do you think the people here are going to want to hear you talk up the Moslems and the Koran? Do you think they want to know about the Koran? I know that you are not that stupid! You knew what you were doing. So this act you are putting on is not fooling anyone. Keep talking to the men about it....see what you get. But take a hint don't talk to me about it. Forgiveness is always the way of Christianity, just stop this now!

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again not the point. Do you think the people here are going to want to hear you talk up the Moslems and the Koran? Do you think they want to know about the Koran? I know that you are not that stupid! You knew what you were doing. So this act you are putting on is not fooling anyone. Keep talking to the men about it....see what you get. But take a hint don't talk to me about it. Forgiveness is always the way of Christianity, just stop this now!
I mentioned Muslims asking if we like when they oppress Christians? Some do. I don't like it. I don't like it when ban Christianity and Judaism or restrict them building churches and mosques. I surely would not want Muslims to force Christians to hear Muslim prayers in school. That is how teh subject got introduced. Are we obeying the Golden Rule when we have mandatory prayers in public schools? I could just as easily asked that about the Hindu government now in India, moving to persecute both Muslims and Christians. I could have asked if it was right for the Romans to execute Christians for refusing to burn incense to the Emperor.

I seemed to have touched a hot spot just by mentioning Muslims. Then the subject went to discussing other things -- their demerits and merits. When people said erroneous things about the Quran, I objected. I did not mention Muslims in order to introduce a lengthy discussion about them. I wanted to know if Christians were applying the Golden Rule. People have done many wicked things in the name of Islam. That's not controversial in my view.

My post did give one link directly to one verse from the Quran. Another had commentary that included the passages from the Quran, saying where they could be found. You say I'm dodging the question, but I think you're doing some dodging -- doing what you say I am doing. You still have not answered my original question. How many have answered it? I ask again, would you like to live in place where children were forced to hear Muslim prayers in schools. It's a simple question.

Matthew 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

What say you then, yea or nay? Whatever your answer is is what I would say you should want to do to them. (I am not interested in discussing Islam in this thread -- indeed I said right now, I wasn't interested in starting a thread to do that. Did you see that post?) I asked a simple question and wanted a yes or no answer. When people don't want to answer a direct question, I believe they may have two opinions and would benefit by making the right one. As Elijah put it, "How long halt ye between two opinions?" Failing to choose the good gives evil the edge by default. We should be able to know what is good --it's what we other people to do to us. How other people decide is their business. I don't object to the fact that God gave us all free will. Did Jesus object to Judas' plot or try to change his mind? No, he said, "That thou doest, do quickly." Don't vacillate. Make your choice and do it. If you want to think me a great deceiver, you have the right to think that. I will not try to change your mind. It is not my right to interfere with the free will of others.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that we ought to reinstate prayer to the school system with constitutional guidelines so that when the Muslims try to impose their method of prayer on believers in our country, the guidelines will already be in place; and we will be those who practice what we preach.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I mentioned Muslims asking if we like when they oppress Christians? Some do. I don't like it. I don't like it when ban Christianity and Judaism or restrict them building churches and mosques. I surely would not want Muslims to force Christians to hear Muslim prayers in school. That is how teh subject got introduced. Are we obeying the Golden Rule when we have mandatory prayers in public schools? I could just as easily asked that about the Hindu government now in India, moving to persecute both Muslims and Christians. I could have asked if it was right for the Romans to execute Christians for refusing to burn incense to the Emperor.

I seemed to have touched a hot spot just by mentioning Muslims. Then the subject went to discussing other things -- their demerits and merits. When people said erroneous things about the Quran, I objected. I did not mention Muslims in order to introduce a lengthy discussion about them. I wanted to know if Christians were applying the Golden Rule. People have done many wicked things in the name of Islam. That's not controversial in my view.

My post did give one link directly to one verse from the Quran. Another had commentary that included the passages from the Quran, saying where they could be found. You say I'm dodging the question, but I think you're doing some dodging -- doing what you say I am doing. You still have not answered my original question. How many have answered it? I ask again, would you like to live in place where children were forced to hear Muslim prayers in schools. It's a simple question.

Matthew 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

What say you then, yea or nay? Whatever your answer is is what I would say you should want to do to them. (I am not interested in discussing Islam in this thread -- indeed I said right now, I wasn't interested in starting a thread to do that. Did you see that post?) I asked a simple question and wanted a yes or no answer. When people don't want to answer a direct question, I believe they may have two opinions and would benefit by making the right one. As Elijah put it, "How long halt ye between two opinions?" Failing to choose the good gives evil the edge by default. We should be able to know what is good --it's what we other people to do to us. How other people decide is their business. I don't object to the fact that God gave us all free will. Did Jesus object to Judas' plot or try to change his mind? No, he said, "That thou doest, do quickly." Don't vacillate. Make your choice and do it. If you want to think me a great deceiver, you have the right to think that. I will not try to change your mind. It is not my right to interfere with the free will of others.

You keep digging yourself a hole. When the sun rises we do not say the word Moslem unless we are changing the sheets. Yes I know it is Muslim. A new day.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
May I ask you to reconsider? There are some times it's best not to answer.

Matthew 27:12 And when he was accused of the chief priests and elders, he answered nothing.

If you think you let him get away with it for too long, why allow him to continue to entice you into it?

There are also people who wanted attention and didn't get when they behaved well. Then they learned they could get attention if they misbehaved. You can observe it sometimes in stores, in family gatherings and so on. A child says something politely, and his parents ignore him. He may say it again and tug at them -- only to be pushed away. He can't get their attention by being good, so he descends into bad behavior. That gets their attention.

Some people never learn and go to their graves not knowing how to get attention the right way. They persist in behaving poorly and keep on thinking that's the only way to get attention. I do not know for sure; but when I see this sort of thing in someone, I suspect they had parents who ignored them when they were good. In an odd way, some even seem to enjoy it if you hurl insults back -- maybe it eases their conscience a little or at least they convince themselves it will.

You have complete power to stop it by refusing to be seduced into it again. Why allow others to manipulate you into nonsensical conversations if you want to have sensible ones?

Without my calling anyone a fool, Solomon talks about two different kinds of foolishness. It's easy to make a mistake at first; but if you picked the wrong path, you'll probably find out.

Proverbs 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

It looks to me as if you tried the option two and it didn't work. Why not try option one?
Very nice post, G.
Thank you for taking the time.

Actually, I've always used the first method.
And would have continued to do so except for the challenge he made.

My mother had a saying which is a really good saying:
Chi piu' ne ha'
Piu' ne adopera

I'm not even sure how to translate it.
Maybe: Whoever has more sense,,,uses more sense?

Yes. I AM reconsidering...this debating is so not like me.
After a few posts I just give up....We each believe what we believe.

Thanks again. I happen to agree with all you've said...
And, while we're at it...I happen to agree with the Pope, but this is not the point of the discussion.

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
He may be right GH.
I'm spending way too much time with this.
Is anyone reading along gaining any knowledge from this?
Does anyone know what is being discussed?
It's too bad others don't speak up.
One would have to be well-versed in the problem at hand...
What about other catholics here?
I'm surprised no one else is posting about this.

Giuliano

Aug 4, 2019
Carlisle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Very nice post, G.
Thank you for taking the time.

Actually, I've always used the first method.
And would have continued to do so except for the challenge he made.
I've reached the conclusion that kind of challenge is an attempt to stir up spiritual pride. Satan tried it with Jesus at the temptation. "Are you really who you say you are? Prove it then!"

My mother had a saying which is a really good saying:
Chi piu' ne ha'
Piu' ne adopera

I'm not even sure how to translate it.
Maybe: Whoever has more sense,,,uses more sense?
I tried Google translate and didn't grasp the result.

Yes. I AM reconsidering...this debating is so not like me.
After a few posts I just give up....We each believe what we believe.
It didn't seem like you to me either. There are signs when a conversation is going nowhere and won't. One sign I know is when someone is interested in proving he's right more than about truth. He wants to think he's right even if he isn't. Being wrong would make him feel inferior, so he'll go to great lengths to prove he's not wrong. If he can't win by reason, threats and insults can follow. His pride is wounded, so he strikes out trying to stir up your pride and wound it.

Thanks again. I happen to agree with all you've said...
And, while we're at it...I happen to agree with the Pope, but this is not the point of the discussion.
Have you seen the recent news about some Bishops being harsh in their disagreement with him? Ha, he says little or nothing; and I say to myself, "That's why he's the Pope and they aren't."