Are the words in the Bible "imperfect"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, but they can be corrected. That would certainly help people who read the corrected translations understand much better.

Sadly, the sellers of the Bibles know that they cannot make corrections too quickly because the purchasers would complain that the newer corrected translations would be too far from what the purchaser already knows about his bible.
What would you consider a corrected translation?

• Love
Reactions: The Learner

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What would you consider a corrected translation?

None of those presently in use.

It is a very big job to correct the present translations as the translators would need go back to the source texts without any bias or preconceived contextual understanding.

There is one member who believes that Israel will be planted once more in the Land of Israel, but the Hebrew Root Word translated as land has the meaning of soil, whereas the word land encompasses sand deserts, rocky grounds, Forested areas, etc. If we consider the Parable of the Sower, the last place where the Sower scattered his seed was in a fertile field where the depth of the soil was deep, and the field was well watered for the seed to germinate and grow into a mature plant producing much increase.

In other words, the sentence should be translated as, "God will plant the descendants of Abraham in the fertile soil of Israel, (God's faithful servant).

This concept is a lot harder for people to get their laughing matter around.

Shalom

Truthnightmare

Dec 11, 2019
Athens
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
None of those presently in use.

It is a very big job to correct the present translations as the translators would need go back to the source texts without any bias or preconceived contextual understanding.

There is one member who believes that Israel will be planted once more in the Land of Israel, but the Hebrew Root Word translated as land has the meaning of soil, whereas the word land encompasses sand deserts, rocky grounds, Forested areas, etc. If we consider the Parable of the Sower, the last place where the Sower scattered his seed was in a fertile field where the depth of the soil was deep, and the field was well watered for the seed to germinate and grow into a mature plant producing much increase.

In other words, the sentence should be translated as, "God will plant the descendants of Abraham in the fertile soil of Israel, (God's faithful servant).

This concept is a lot harder for people to get their laughing matter around.

Shalom
Understand, but Israel is a people not a land.

Reactions: The Learner

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My experience, which I was very grateful to God to have involved becoming unglued, unstuck from the bible. I had developed a closer deeper more intimate relationship with the bible than with God Himself.

Once I saw this and my eyes were opened, I broke off that codependent relationship
a crock i aint buying my friend .

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have studied many English translations and they all clearly teach that Jesus is God and Hell fire is "forever and ever".

Reactions: amigo de christo

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
People like to say that the Bible is 'inerrant', but who wrote the Bible, think about it. It was written by 'imperfect' men, yes they were inspired, but it was there finger that put it down and not God. As I point out, only the Ten Commandments can be called 'inerrant' as that was written by God with His own finger. The words in the Bible were sufficient for doctrine as the Holy Spirit can guide you into all truth, but the words were not 'perfect' if we seek that because it was in the language of man whether Latin, Greek, or Hebrew, which was not sufficient to give the full meaning of Gods words. The reason is that mans words were 'imperfect' in describing the fullness and completeness of God and His interaction with us, but it was just the means to communicate His purpose from the beginning. The Holy Spirit must bring us to understanding the perfection of inerrancy, for He speaks and shows the words of Christ.

John 16:13-14
13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.
14 He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you.
Your vision is too narrow and you weaken God by saying that because He used men, the Word must be imperfect!

2 Timothy 3:16-17

King James Version

16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
17 That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.

2 Peter 1:19-21

King James Version

19 We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.
21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Men may have put pen to paper, but it was God leadng them what to put down.

When someone say Scripture is inerrant in its writing, we mean all orignal autographs and faithful copies.

Every time you go from one language to another, if the translators are devout to wards God, though the translation may lack the impact of th eoriginal, no doctrine will be harmed.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yeah they differ, but I don't know of any English Bible that doesn't give a very clear message from God. FEAR GOD!
Well, the only alternative is learning the original language... How is your Hebrew and Greek...

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
No need. My God speaks English too. Very clearly.
That's a very good point. I'm guessing God can speak English. Do you think there is any language He can't speak? Or does He require an interpreter? Some may say that God speaks in foreign languages (tongues) that need someone with the gift interpretation.

Reactions: Jack

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's a very good point. I'm guessing God can speak English. Do you think there is any language He can't speak? Or does He require an interpreter? Some may say that God speaks in foreign languages (tongues) that need someone with the gift interpretation.
I learned a long time ago, so many self professed Greek and Hebrew experts have drastically different opinions on the Bible.

Reactions: Spyder

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, there was a time when I revered my King James Bible, as I thought I was getting perfect truth from it. After finding that I understood other translations better since the word were more modern, I changed bibles.

Long story short, I learned to use multiple translations and saw differences between the words used by "Hebrew and Greek" experts. Was it because of a language difference or word choice because of the beliefs of those translators? Good question, right?

Now, I study from numerous resources and prayerfully wait on God to convict me of truth. That is NOT easy, as my human nature wants to establish "truth" right away. I trust God to provide light for me while I examine all that God has given to us.

I still believe that scripture passages do not conflict with each other - not if I am going to believe that God gave us scripture to use to learn. So, I am not a one-verse-equals-doctrine king of guy. Many thoughts are on "sticky notes" and the rest do not go on granite until God leads me to it.

Reactions: Jack

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no actuality of a duality of perfect & imperfect; in truth there is only perfection.

Spyder

Jan 9, 2024
Holt
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no actuality of a duality of perfect & imperfect; in truth there is only perfection.
I don't know who you were speaking to, but I'd like to see an explanation of your post.

Phil .

Nov 1, 2022
Midwest.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know who you were speaking to, but I'd like to see an explanation of your post.
This is perfection. All there is, all that is, is perfection.
Perfect and imperfect are thoughts, perfection or This is appearing as.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I would say the written words in Scripture are satisfactory for one to grasp the Lord Gods intent.

It is unreasonable for two people to hear or observe and recount using the same exact words in all situations.

In a precedent established during Jeremiah’s day, we find…

Biblical Scrolls being destroyed (intentionally burned by a king)…
And Gods instruction to Jeremiah (adding more to the original scroll)
And Jeremiah’s obedience.

Jer 37:
[27] Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, after that the king had burned the roll, and the words which Baruch wrote at the mouth of Jeremiah, saying,
[28] Take thee again another roll, and write in it all the former words that were in the first roll, which Jehoiakim the king of Judah hath burned.
[29] And thou shalt say to Jehoiakim the king of Judah, Thus saith the LORD; Thou hast burned this roll, saying, Why hast thou written therein, saying, The king of Babylon shall certainly come and destroy this land, and shall cause to cease from thence man and beast?
[30] Therefore thus saith the LORD of Jehoiakim king of Judah; He shall have none to sit upon the throne of David: and his dead body shall be cast out in the day to the heat, and in the night to the frost.
[31] And I will punish him and his seed and his servants for their iniquity; and I will bring upon them, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and upon the men of Judah, all the evil that I have pronounced against them; but they hearkened not.

[32] Then took Jeremiah another roll, and gave it to Baruch the scribe, the son of Neriah; who wrote therein from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the book which Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire: and there were added besides unto them many like words.

Scripture can be elaborate…in details
scripture can be simple…in directness

Scripture speaks expressly do THIS, and the consequence one should expect.
Scripture speaks expressly do THAT, and the consequence one should expect.

Very straight forward without the need to mull over or wonder…

Bottom line…From the Word of God…
“He who is NOT WITH me…IS AGAINST me.”
(Mark 12:30 ~ Luke 11:23)

Glory to God,
Taken

12question

Dec 9, 2023
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I would say the written words in Scripture are satisfactory for one to grasp the Lord Gods intent.

It is unreasonable for two people to hear or observe and recount using the same exact words in all situations.

In a precedent established during Jeremiah’s day, we find…

Biblical Scrolls being destroyed (intentionally burned by a king)…
And Gods instruction to Jeremiah (adding more to the original scroll)
And Jeremiah’s obedience.

Jer 37:
[27] Then the word of the LORD came to Jeremiah, after that the king had burned the roll, and the words which Baruch wrote at the mouth of Jeremiah, saying,
[28] Take thee again another roll, and write in it all the former words that were in the first roll, which Jehoiakim the king of Judah hath burned.
[29] And thou shalt say to Jehoiakim the king of Judah, Thus saith the LORD; Thou hast burned this roll, saying, Why hast thou written therein, saying, The king of Babylon shall certainly come and destroy this land, and shall cause to cease from thence man and beast?
[30] Therefore thus saith the LORD of Jehoiakim king of Judah; He shall have none to sit upon the throne of David: and his dead body shall be cast out in the day to the heat, and in the night to the frost.
[31] And I will punish him and his seed and his servants for their iniquity; and I will bring upon them, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, and upon the men of Judah, all the evil that I have pronounced against them; but they hearkened not.

[32] Then took Jeremiah another roll, and gave it to Baruch the scribe, the son of Neriah; who wrote therein from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the book which Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire: and there were added besides unto them many like words.

Scripture can be elaborate…in details
scripture can be simple…in directness

Scripture speaks expressly do THIS, and the consequence one should expect.
Scripture speaks expressly do THAT, and the consequence one should expect.

Very straight forward without the need to mull over or wonder…

Bottom line…From the Word of God…
“He who is NOT WITH me…IS AGAINST me.”
(Mark 12:30 ~ Luke 11:23)

Glory to God,
Taken
Are you saying that God has people add to original scripture?

If you are, then I would agree.

If people want to stay with the original scripture, would we call that pre Jesus writings, then I'd say go for it. If others want to go beyond them and include Jesus' teaching and His apostles writings, then great, go for it I'd say.

For those who don't stay within the parameters of what is written in the whole bible but find more of God's expressed thoughts to them personally or through other means, then I'd say, that's fantastic, certainly pursue God and find more of His truths. It's out there AND it's in there, where the Spirit, of God's Truth, lives.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying that God has people add to original scripture?

What I am in agreement with and quoted is:

Jer 37:
Then took Jeremiah another roll, and gave it to Baruch the scribe, the son of Neriah; who wrote therein from the mouth of Jeremiah all the words of the book which Jehoiakim king of Judah had burned in the fire: and there were added besides unto them many like words.

If you are, then I would agree.

If people want to stay with the original scripture, would we call that pre Jesus writings, then I'd say go for it. If others want to go beyond them and include Jesus' teaching and His apostles writings, then great, go for it I'd say.

For those who don't stay within the parameters of what is written in the whole bible but find more of God's expressed thoughts to them personally or through other means, then I'd say, that's fantastic, certainly pursue God and find more of His truths. It's out there AND it's in there, where the Spirit, of God's Truth, lives.

Aside from Jeremiah’s instruction…

I would also say people routinely discuss Scripture using their own words, no issue with me, as their words keep in context of an evenness TO Gods Word.

God Bless you.

Glory to God,
Taken